PDA

View Full Version : No 5 star commits yet...

Collier11
11/4/2008, 03:46 PM
...anyone who is following recruiting more, is this because Stoops is going after a different kind of player since we have had so many attitude problems?

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 03:56 PM
There are 12 5 stars left that aren't committed.

Jamarkus Mcfarland is the only one we have a chance with.

I am not sure about Craig Loston. Last I heard is that he is a LSU lock.

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 03:59 PM
These are the only five stars that live near Oklahoma.

That is part of the reason we aren't getting much interest from them.

If there was a bunch of Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma five stars we would have a better chance.

Garrett Gilbert
Austin (TX) Lake Travis

Russell Shepard
Houston (TX) Cypress Ridge

Bryce Brown
Wichita (KS) Wichita East

BASSooner
11/4/2008, 04:11 PM
who cares? I have no problem with that.

In fact, last time I checked, didn't we win a national championship with a bunch of three star players? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 04:13 PM

In fact, last time I checked, didn't we win a national championship with a bunch of three star players? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I care.

Five star players are more proven and ahead of everyone.

(not saying there isn't hidden gems out there)

You sometimes get lucky with 3 stars and such, but most of that comes with the coaches developing them right.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 04:20 PM

I feel the same way, we can develop 3 and 4 stars who are less likely to be cocky pricks just the same. Very rarely do 5 star recruits pan out differently than 3 and 4 stars with the exception of the rare cant miss guy and there are only a few of those a yr ala AD...I just wasnt sure if it was a change in philosophy or not

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 04:26 PM
I feel the same way, we can develop 3 and 4 stars who are less likely to be cocky pricks just the same. Very rarely do 5 star recruits pan out differently than 3 and 4 stars with the exception of the rare cant miss guy and there are only a few of those a yr ala AD...I just wasnt sure if it was a change in philosophy or not

Here are some random five stars I picked out from throughout the last few years.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2008&School=56&Sport=1

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=26296&Sport=1

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=31982&Sport=1

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=29558&Sport=1

Being a five star doesn't increase the chance of someone being a prick.

Ask Gerald McCoy and Adrian Peterson.

It means the have they potential to be amazing with the right development.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 04:31 PM
I could also list Bomar, Chris Rix, Stafford, etc...it is a crap shoot all around and I didnt mean to imply that all 5 stars are pricks...what I meant was more that we have had issues with people not caring about playing for OU and playing for themselves instead so I wonder if Stoops is going more for the players that have the University in mind above theirselves

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 04:33 PM
I could also list Bomar, Chris Rix, Stafford, etc...it is a crap shoot all around and I didnt mean to imply that all 5 stars are pricks...what I meant was more that we have had issues with people not caring about playing for OU and playing for themselves instead so I wonder if Stoops is going more for the players that have the University in mind above theirselves

If Bob could have is pick on the five stars he would take them all.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 04:36 PM
Doubt it...5 star is just something that Rivals or Scout has come up with, doesnt mean that Bob evaluates them the same way

You dont believe me, just look at how star numbers change as players commit or dont commit to certain schools

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 04:42 PM
Doubt it...5 star is just something that Rivals or Scout has come up with, doesnt mean that Bob evaluates them the same way

You dont believe me, just look at how star numbers change as players commit or dont commit to certain schools

Nope, I think we have offered every one of them.

I don't think you understand how good each five star is.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 04:44 PM
Stoops evaluations arent based off of what other people think (how do you think we got Q, Clayton, etc)

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:04 PM
I know alot more about football than you seem to think...Stoops evaluations arent based off of what other people think (how do you think we got Q, Clayton, etc)

Your right, he doesn't read Rivals.

He offered every five star, I don't know what you don't get.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:06 PM
He has offered atleast 100 three and four stars, what about that dont you get? The recruiting ratings dont matter to him

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:09 PM
He has offered atleast 100 three and four stars, what about that dont you get? The recruiting ratings dont matter to him

You are correct.

He recruits the best players and five stars are the best.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:10 PM
You are correct.

He recruits the best players and five stars are the best.

:rolleyes:

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:11 PM
Oh, your going to neg me cause you don't know what your talking about. Did it make you feel better?

I have followed and know more about recruiting than you do, I am sorry.

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:14 PM

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitli...ool=56&Sport=1

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewpros...=26296&Sport=1

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewpros...=31982&Sport=1

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewpros...=29558&Sport=1

Again Rivals doesn't no **** about recruiting.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:17 PM
Again Rivals doesn't no **** about recruiting.

Take a step back, take a breath, and use a little common sense here

Look back at the Rivals Top 100 in 2004 which is the most recent class to be completely out of college

Atleast 20 of the top 50 and over 40 of the Top 100 never panned out...the ratings mean very little. You still have to develop the players, you still have to keep them in school, they still have to work hard, etc...

There are just as many lower star players that pan out as there are 5 stars

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:18 PM
Here are some random five stars I picked out from throughout the last few years.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2008&School=56&Sport=1

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=26296&Sport=1

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=31982&Sport=1

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=29558&Sport=1

Being a five star doesn't increase the chance of someone being a prick.

Ask Gerald McCoy and Adrian Peterson.

It means the have they potential to be amazing with the right development.

Your links prove nothing

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:19 PM
Take a step back, take a breath, and use a little common sense here

Look back at the Rivals Top 100 in 2004 which is the most recent class to be completely out of college

Atleast 20 of the top 50 and over 40 of the Top 100 never panned out...the ratings mean very little. You still have to develop the players, you still have to keep them in school, they still have to work hard, etc...

There are just as many lower star players that pan out as there are 5 stars

2004 is probably the worst Rivals100 there was.

Check out the years after that.

Almost all those players turned out to be great.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:20 PM
One other thing, 99.9% of the time I will keep all negative and positive spek to myself but did you really just come after me by saying my avatar is gay and I should be a girl for having it??? Are you 10 years old?

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:22 PM
is this because Stoops is going after a different kind of player since we have had so many attitude problems?

we can develop 3 and 4 stars who are less likely to be cocky pricks just the same. Very rarely do 5 star recruits pan out differently than 3 and 4 stars with the exception of the rare cant miss guy

I didnt mean to imply that all 5 stars are pricks...what I meant was more that we have had issues with people not caring about playing for OU and playing for themselves instead so I wonder if Stoops is going more for the players that have the University in mind above theirselves

Yes you did.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:23 PM
2004 is probably the worst Rivals100 there was.

Check out the years after that.

Almost all those players turned out to be great.

Ok, there are 18 in the Top 50 of that yr who havent done a damn thing or very little...try again

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:25 PM

Yes you did.

Im not going to sit here and argue with you, you are wrong, I made a statement and then I corrected myself so im not sure what you think you just proved?

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:26 PM
Ok, there are 18 in the Top 50 of that yr who havent done a damn thing or very little...try again

Remember we are talking about the five stars not the top fifty.

I can't find one five star guy that didn't make an impact on a college team.

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:27 PM
Im not going to sit here and argue with you, you are wrong, I made a statement and then I corrected myself so im not sure what you think you just proved?

Why did you need to correct yourself?

Did you mean it in a different way?

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:28 PM
Remember we are talking about the five stars not the top fifty.

found several

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:28 PM
found several

Name one please?

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:31 PM
it is a crap shoot all around and I didnt mean to imply that all 5 stars are pricks...what I meant was more that we have had issues with people not caring about playing for OU and playing for themselves instead so I wonder if Stoops is going more for the players that have the University in mind above theirselves

Why did you need to correct yourself?

Did you mean it in a different way?

Can you not read?

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:32 PM
Can you not read?

I can, I just didn't see that post.

Are you going to name one of the five star players?

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:42 PM
Name one please?

I will reply to this and then I am done talking about this...you appear to have no idea how recruiting works...when certain players dont commit to big time schools aka OU, UT, USC, etc...their final rankings drop, when some Do commit their rankings go way up. That is why rankings dont matter. In addition to that, recruiting is such a crap shoot and recruiting rankings are so unscientific and very biased

Here you go

#1 overall-Derick Williams wr- Has 1300 yds receiving in 4 years, 5 tds

#4 overall-Melvin Alaeze de- Facing attempted murder charges

#6 overall-Fred Rouse wr-Out of college football after failed stints at FSU, Utep, and a juco

Thats 3 of the top 6, shall I go on?

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:49 PM
I will reply to this and then I am done talking about this...you have no idea how recruiting works...when certain players dont commit to big time schools aka OU, UT, USC, etc...their final rankings drop, when some Do commit their rankings go way up. That is why rankings dont matter.

Here you go

#1 overall-Derick Williams wr- Has 1300 yds receiving in 4 years, 5 tds

#4 overall-Melvin Alaeze de- Facing attempted murder charges

#6 overall-Fred Rouse wr-Out of college football after failed stints at FSU, Utep, and a juco

Thats 3 of the top 6, shall I go on?

That has nothing to do with Melvin Alaeze's skill.

Derick Williams battled injuries.

Fred Rouse just sucked.

What I am saying is five star guy's have the potential to be better than everyone else, it just depends on how they are coached and how they transition from high school to college.

Every once in a while you will find a hidden "gem" such as Auston English, or Sam Bradford.

Search rivals for all the top players in college right now and see for yourself.

Tim Tebow

Knowshon Moreno

Percy Harvin

Demarco Murray

Mark Sanchez

Dez Bryant

That is just some off the top of my head.

Look at our D-Line, who are the best players?

Demarcus Granger and Gerald McCoy and quess what?

They Were Both five stars.

Sooner04
11/4/2008, 05:53 PM
Your capitalization axioms are making my head spin.

I'll break up this little love fest with a simple observation: if you think Mark Sanchez is one of the best players in college football then you, son, do not know much.

Why don't you combine the stars of the six best QBs in our league this year and come up with the average. Go ahead, tabulate the stars for Bradford, McCoy, Harrell, Robinson, Reesing and Daniel. I'll wait.

While you're there, the majority of us have followed recruiting for far longer than you, and we're all thrilled Bob and his staff are back to doing their homework and going out to look at players. They rested on their laurels for a while, and it bit us in the *** with attitude issues.

olevetonahill
11/4/2008, 05:53 PM
I think yer BOTH Missing each Others Points .;)

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:57 PM
That has nothing to do with Melvin Alaeze's skill.

Derick Williams battled injuries.

Fred Rouse just sucked.

What I am saying is five star guy's have the potential to be better than everyone else, it just depends on how they are coached and how they transition from high school to college.

Every once in a while you will find a hidden "gem" such as Auston English, or Sam Bradford.

Search rivals for all the top players in college right now and see for yourself.

Tim Tebow

Knowshon Moreno

Percy Harvin

Demarco Murray

Mark Sanchez

Dez Bryant

That is just some off the top of my head.

Look at our D-Line, who are the best players?

Demarcus Granger and Gerald McCoy and quess what?

They Were Both five stars.

Callahan Bright #14 overall DT- Finishing career at D2 school

#15 overall Jason Gwaltney RB- Barely seen the field in 4 yrs while bouncing between schools, back at WVU and still not playing

#16 Ryan Perilloux QB- No explanation needed

Kevin Grady, Jerrell Powe, etc...I dont know how many different ways that I can prove my point to you

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:58 PM
Your capitalization axioms are making my head spin.

I'll break up this little love fest with this simple observation: if you think Mark Sanchez is one of the best players in college football then you, son, do not know much.

Why don't you combine the stars of the six best QBs in our league this year and come up with the average. Go ahead, tabulate the stars for Bradford, McCoy, Harrell, Robinson, Reesing and Daniel. I'll wait.

And if you think Mark Sanchez isn't a good quarterback then you do not know much.

He is leading a 7-1 team.

Graham Harrell was a member of the Rivals100

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?sport=1&pr_key=15573

Daniels was ranked the #6 quarterback in the nation.

McCoy and Bradford were surprises.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 05:58 PM
I think yer BOTH Missing each Others Points .;)

He has a point? ;)

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 06:01 PM
Callahan Bright #14 overall DT- Finishing career at D2 school

#15 overall Jason Gwaltney RB- Barely seen the field in 4 yrs while bouncing between schools, back at WVU and still not playing

#16 Ryan Perilloux QB- No explanation needed

Kevin Grady, Jerrell Powe, etc...I dont know how many different ways that I can prove my point to you

Again you don't know anything about Perilloux's ablility because he didn't get a chance to play.

The majority of the five stars turn out, some don't because of injuries, or legal issues.

I'll say it again being a five star mean you have more POTENTIAL.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 06:02 PM
And if you think Mark Sanchez isn't a good quarterback then you do not know much.

Graham Harrell was a member of the Rivals100

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?sport=1&pr_key=15573

Daniels was ranked the #6 quarterback in the nation.

McCoy and Bradford were surprises.

He is a decent player but Sanchez has by no means lit it up...with the 5 star talent he has, he should have stats like the big 12 boys wouldnt ya think? ;)

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 06:03 PM
He has a point? ;)

Yea, I do.

I don't know why this thread it titled the way it is.

Since stars don't matter and all.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 06:03 PM
Again you don't know anything about Perilloux's ablility because he didn't get a chance to play.

The majority of the five stars turn out, some don't because of injuries, or legal issues.

I'll say it again being a five star mean you have more POTENTIAL.

NO you asked me to name one that hasnt made an impact and I named 7 or 8 out of 20 or so

Collier11
11/4/2008, 06:04 PM
Yea, I do.

I don't know why this thread it titled the way it is.

Since stars don't matter and all.

All I asked is why we havent gotten any commitments, was it due to a change in philosophy or just havent gotten any

Sooner04
11/4/2008, 06:05 PM

They've got more talent on that squad than a third of the teams in the NFL. Me in my intramural QB prime could've guided USC to at LEAST 6-2 (I would've struggled with the zone blitzing scheme of Mike Stoops). Sanchez is a dope. He's the only reason they're not undefeated and #1 in the country right now.

Watch the games!

Collier11
11/4/2008, 06:05 PM

Name one please?

SEE

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 06:07 PM
All I asked is why we havent gotten any commitments, was it due to a change in philosophy or just havent gotten any

No you asked why we haven't gotten any 5 star commits yet.

That's what you made it seem like with the title and all.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 06:08 PM
THAT IS WHAT I JUST SAID, READ WHAT YOU JUST QUOTED!!!

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 06:10 PM
THAT IS WHAT I JUST SAID, READ WHAT YOU JUST QUOTED!!!

Collier obviously we differ in opinions.

Lets just end it here.

Five stars are the best!

:D

Collier11
11/4/2008, 06:14 PM
Collier obviously you are right and I shouldnt have been such a baby!

Lets just end it here.

I like boys!

Apology accepted :D

setem
11/4/2008, 09:28 PM
Maybe this has been answered(I didn't feel like reading the entire thread)?

Who has attitude problems on the team?

Collier11
11/4/2008, 09:29 PM
I was referring to the past few yrs with us losing half of our 05' class and with guys like MK and other pouting last yr and not putting effort into the Fiesta Bowl. Things such as this have led to Stoops changing his philosophy from what ive heard and that is what I was asking

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 09:33 PM
I was referring to the past few yrs with us losing half of our 05' class and with guys like MK and other pouting last yr and not putting effort into the Fiesta Bowl. Things such as this have led to Stoops changing his philosophy from what ive heard and that is what I was asking

Watching him not even trying to run block made me want to throw up.

KaleoHolley
11/5/2008, 04:00 PM
CKsooner, Rivals and scout are around for people like you who sit around salivating over how many stars a certain player has. I think my 5 year old niece could look at the players in your examples Percy Harvin, Beenie Wells and I laughed out loud at you putting McCoy, (who lets be honest is just starting to have any sort of role in our defense.) and tell that they are a special talent. Im done with those pampered Pre-Madonna biotches that don't want to work hard. Give me a 3 star that it was his life long dream to don the crimson and cream, and will give it has all everyday over some prissy punk 5-star. If all you think about is how many stars a player has, you can have Rawls, Allen, Bomar, Nichols, Grady, and I’ll take my 3 star Bradford.

KaleoHolley
11/5/2008, 04:06 PM
I didn't mean for that to sound like a personal attack, i use to sit around thinking we need more 5 stars. Sorry if that sounded like i was attacking you.

CK Sooner
11/5/2008, 04:12 PM
I didn't mean for that to sound like a personal attack, i use to sit around thinking we need more 5 stars. Sorry if that sounded like i was attacking you.

Didn't sound like a personal attack at all.

I'm done talking about this though, Collier wore me out.

Collier11
11/5/2008, 04:19 PM
and then I moved on to your gf

KaleoHolley
11/5/2008, 04:23 PM
lol. I understand, how’s this for a final truce. 5 stars potentially have the potential to be better.... : )

CK Sooner
11/5/2008, 05:06 PM
and then I moved on to your gf

No you didn't!

Collier11
11/5/2008, 06:04 PM
Trust me, I did

CK Sooner
11/5/2008, 06:35 PM
Trust me, I did

Well I moved on to your wife.

;)

Collier11
11/5/2008, 07:27 PM
im not married, nice try though

CK Sooner
11/5/2008, 08:42 PM
im not married, nice try though

Sister

Collier11
11/5/2008, 09:28 PM
nope...I do have a few cousins you can try for though

CK Sooner
11/5/2008, 10:51 PM
nope...I do have a few cousins you can try for though

:mad:

SouthFortySooner
11/6/2008, 01:59 PM
Lets have more avatar smack!

CK Sooner
11/6/2008, 02:45 PM
Lets have more avatar smack!

How about no.

snp
11/6/2008, 07:09 PM
If this thread were a recruit, it'd be a 1*.

Collier11
11/6/2008, 08:07 PM
and if your opinion were a pro football player it would be a undrafted free agent ;)

SOONER STEAKER
11/7/2008, 12:11 PM
I'd rather take (15) 4 star recruits than a bunch of 5 star kids. In my opinion, kids who have to work at their skills are better kids who have good work habits whereas 5 star kids have been getting by on talent alone.

Give Schmitty a kid with good work habits and he will be a great team player in his soph/junior season when he hits the field at OU.

Can I get a BOOMER?

snp
11/7/2008, 03:19 PM
Yea, 5 stars never work hard. That AD fellow sure was a slouch in the weight room. I don't see anyone complaining about Good, Washington, or Calhoun.

It's retarded to say you wouldn't want 5* because they don't work as hard. Every player is different and you're stereotyping players by saying because they're talented, they don't work as hard. And Bob seems to think they are worth the risk and I defer to him when it comes to judging the character and work ethic of kids you and I will never meet.

Eielson
11/7/2008, 03:30 PM
I think we could all agree that the strength of this team is how well it passes the ball. So I'm going to go over to rivals and try my hardest to find a 5 star.

Bradford- 3 Stars
Iglesias- 3 stars
Johnson- 4 stars
Broyles- 4 stars
Chaney- 3 stars
Tennell- 4 stars
Caleb- 3 stars
Gresham 4 stars

Can't seem to find one, the RB has a little effect on the passing game so I will try them-

Murray- 4 stars
Brown- 4 stars
Madu- 3 stars

Fullback?

Clapp- 3 stars

O-Line?!

Loadholt- 4 stars
Robinson- 4 stars
Braxton- 4 stars
Walker- 4 stars
Cooper- not sure

Does this clear up how important 5 stars are?

CK Sooner
11/7/2008, 04:28 PM
I think we could all agree that the strength of this team is how well it passes the ball. So I'm going to go over to rivals and try my hardest to find a 5 star.

Bradford- 3 Stars
Iglesias- 3 stars
Johnson- 4 stars
Broyles- 4 stars
Chaney- 3 stars
Tennell- 4 stars
Caleb- 3 stars
Gresham 4 stars

Can't seem to find one, the RB has a little effect on the passing game so I will try them-

Murray- 4 stars
Brown- 4 stars
Madu- 3 stars

Fullback?

Clapp- 3 stars

O-Line?!

Loadholt- 4 stars
Robinson- 4 stars
Braxton- 4 stars
Walker- 4 stars
Cooper- not sure

Does this clear up how important 5 stars are?

4 stars still mean they are highly ranked.

Thanks for looking that up n00b.

BillyBall
11/7/2008, 04:30 PM

He's actually been around for a while, I just dont think he's been all that popular...

CK Sooner
11/7/2008, 04:34 PM
He's actually been around for a while, I just dont think he's been all that popular...

I can tell.

Curly Bill
11/7/2008, 06:06 PM
Yea, 5 stars never work hard. That AD fellow sure was a slouch in the weight room. I don't see anyone complaining about Good, Washington, or Calhoun.

It's retarded to say you wouldn't want 5* because they don't work as hard. Every player is different and you're stereotyping players by saying because they're talented, they don't work as hard. And Bob seems to think they are worth the risk and I defer to him when it comes to judging the character and work ethic of kids you and I will never meet.

Would peeps be saying crap like 5-star players don't work as hard if we had 3 or 4 lined up ready to sign this year? I sure don't remember hearing it last year when we had those three guys lined up.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/7/2008, 06:20 PM
Who cares...I hope we get great players..don't get me wrong. I don't really care about "stars", it is mostly about finding the most talented player that fits your identity as a football team. If that is a 5 star...great...if he is a 3 star...great

Eielson
11/7/2008, 07:08 PM

No need to worry about 5 stars then.

Eielson
11/7/2008, 07:12 PM

The red is from Big Red Ron. :mad:

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2008, 04:38 PM
If you guys were smart, you would rate bouncers that jam their elbow into people's necks with stars of one through five.

CK Sooner
11/9/2008, 06:33 PM
If you guys were smart, you would rate bouncers that jam their elbow into people's necks with stars of one through five.

Your avatar freaks me out.

I don't know why, it's just weird.

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2008, 04:52 AM
I care.

Five star players are more proven and ahead of everyone.

(not saying there isn't hidden gems out there)

You sometimes get lucky with 3 stars and such, but most of that comes with the coaches developing them right.

Lies.

The five stars are not proven at the college level and not all are ahead of everyone else.

Some five stars have fallen flat in college because they peaked in high school. Meaning their playing abilities did not improve much while in college.

However, it is not the five stars that builds a successful team. It is the 3 and 4 stars with a few 5 stars thrown in the mix. And OU has plenty of interest from 3 and 4 stars!

CK Sooner
11/11/2008, 11:41 AM
Lies.

The five stars are not proven at the college level and not all are ahead of everyone else.

Some five stars have fallen flat in college because they peaked in high school. Meaning their playing abilities did not improve much while in college.

However, it is not the five stars that builds a successful team. It is the 3 and 4 stars with a few 5 stars thrown in the mix. And OU has plenty of interest from 3 and 4 stars!

Eielson
11/12/2008, 08:56 PM
Lies.

No man, OU is going to suck. NO FIVE STARS!!!!1111111

Scott D
11/12/2008, 09:23 PM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 verbals didn't all of a sudden increase their "star rating" by the end of the season because they sign with OU.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2008, 05:43 AM

CK, if you actually played this sport, outside of powderpuff, and coached this game. you may know more than just what the pundits and talking heads tell you or what you read. I am not calling you incorrect by any means, but rankings mean very little when recruiting players.

So roll your eyes wherever and whenever, I could careless. I coach high school players. So I know a lot of their abilities and their tendancies. And so do other high school coaches.

1. The 5 stars have not proven anything in college. Because they have not stepped foot on a college or played a down in college. Their ranking is based on potential, nothing more.

2. I have seen players as a junior (great players their junior year) not do well as a Senior because of various reasons, ranging from injuries to head cases. These types of things happen. And they affect their scouting reports.

3. I have seen players look to be studs only to fall flat because they peaked their potential sooner than others. A lot of times this does not happen, but in some cases it does.

4. College coaches fills their needs not based on recruiting rankings. But based on their system and how they read the talent they are going after.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2008, 05:43 AM
No man, OU is going to suck. NO FIVE STARS!!!!1111111

Not sure how you translated what I posted into this...but okkkkay.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2008, 05:46 AM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 verbals didn't all of a sudden increase their "star rating" by the end of the season because they sign with OU.

Who cares what their star ranking is?

Lehman was not a 5 star.
Calmus was not a 5 star.
Heupel was not a 5 star.
Savage was not a 5 star.
Clayton was not a 5 star.

In fact the majority of the players that have laid this current foundation and made OU successful again were not rated as five stars coming out of high school.

Sooner04
11/13/2008, 09:43 AM
I bet you coach a small *** school that has never brought out any d1 talent, so I don't wanna hear it.
Please go somewhere else.

badger
11/13/2008, 01:51 PM
I have not followed college recruiting for very long, but from what I've seen, 5-star recruits can be hit-or-miss just like any other recruits... but usually have a higher rate of success than other players, much like NFL 1st rounders stay on NFL rosters longer than, say, 7th rounders.

5-stars can be successful in college...
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/ADRIANPETERSON11_3150.JPG
or not...
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/RHETTBOMAR11_24150.JPG

It seems to largely depend on work ethic and desire more than raw talent, as we could tell from these two recruits from the same class - one went on to be a Heisman runner-up his freshman year and the NFL Rookie of the Year, the other... well... he's somewhere else.

It is possible that like NFL 1st round draft picks, a college team may invest more practice and playing time in a higher-rated recruit, thus have a higher rate of success than, say, a 2-star or a walk-on (what do coaches promise top recruits to get them to sign the LoI? Practice and playing time, of course). Would Kellen Winslow still be in the NFL after his stupid bike incident if he wasn't a 1st rounder? Who knows... but I think the Cleveland Browns gave him a second chance largely because of the resources they already poured into his development with the organization.

Anyways, take or leave 5-stars. Regardless of where our recruiting classes rank, I like how our teams have done on the field lately, so I think Stoops and Co. must be doing a good job off-the-field via recruiting :)

Scott D
11/13/2008, 03:14 PM
Who cares what their star ranking is?

Lehman was not a 5 star.
Calmus was not a 5 star.
Heupel was not a 5 star.
Savage was not a 5 star.
Clayton was not a 5 star.

In fact the majority of the players that have laid this current foundation and made OU successful again were not rated as five stars coming out of high school.

thank you for making my point for me. I mean look what Charlie Weis has done with his plethora of 4 and 5 star recruits...win a single game more than Ty Willingham did in the same amount of time at the same university.

My primary point is, instead of going "oh noes we haz no 5 starz" right now, be like me and just be amused at how many of our recruits are 4 or 5 star recruits by the end of the high school season.

CK Sooner
11/13/2008, 06:41 PM
I have not followed college recruiting for very long, but from what I've seen, 5-star recruits can be hit-or-miss just like any other recruits... but usually have a higher rate of success than other players, much like NFL 1st rounders stay on NFL rosters longer than, say, 7th rounders.

5-stars can be successful in college...
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/ADRIANPETERSON11_3150.JPG
or not...
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/RHETTBOMAR11_24150.JPG

It seems to largely depend on work ethic and desire more than raw talent, as we could tell from these two recruits from the same class - one went on to be a Heisman runner-up his freshman year and the NFL Rookie of the Year, the other... well... he's somewhere else.

It is possible that like NFL 1st round draft picks, a college team may invest more practice and playing time in a higher-rated recruit, thus have a higher rate of success than, say, a 2-star or a walk-on (what do coaches promise top recruits to get them to sign the LoI? Practice and playing time, of course). Would Kellen Winslow still be in the NFL after his stupid bike incident if he wasn't a 1st rounder? Who knows... but I think the Cleveland Browns gave him a second chance largely because of the resources they already poured into his development with the organization.

Anyways, take or leave 5-stars. Regardless of where our recruiting classes rank, I like how our teams have done on the field lately, so I think Stoops and Co. must be doing a good job off-the-field via recruiting :)

Bomar could have been good, but we will never know.

He is going to play in the NFL though, so...

CK Sooner
11/13/2008, 06:42 PM
Please go somewhere else.

Same to you, your posts annoy me also.

Computer is broken
Ravaged by internet porn
Sperm seeps down the desk.

OU_Sooners75
11/14/2008, 03:10 AM
When you actually have a clue what you are talking about outside of what the talking heads at scouts or rivals say, then let me know.

Until then, having a roster full of 5 stars does not make you a better team...It is the coaches that can turn that potential talent into something special....look toward USC if you do not believe me!

Sooner04
11/14/2008, 10:08 AM
5 stars are overrated. Texas, in '99, signed the national defensive and offensive players of the year (Cory Redding and Chris Simms). Those two guys beat Oklahoma once, and never won a Big 12 Championship. They never played in a BCS bowl. You go out and do your homework. Sometimes you sign a guy who becomes a Nagurski Award winner (Derrick Strait) when you're only competition for him out of high school was Kentucky.

It's about homework and filling the needs of your team. I respect the opinion of the coach of my team over some clown in a cubicle who's rating a guy with five stars just because he signed with Notre Dame.

Collier11
11/14/2008, 10:11 AM
Thats what I tried to tell CK in the beginning, Stoops doesnt base his recruiting off of star ratings and star ratings will change depending on whom is recruiting the kid. The player making it big time has to do with development and attitude, not star rating

Sooner04
11/14/2008, 10:16 AM
Thats what I tried to tell CK in the beginning, Stoops doesnt base his recruiting off of star ratings and star ratings will change depending on whom is recruiting the kid. The player making it big time has to do with development and attitude, not star rating
I think Stoops got a little lazy for a little bit, but his last couple of classes appear to be a throwback to his earlier days.

The problem with a lot of the high-profile guys is their attitude (Bomar and Kelly). Sometimes that attitude permeates through to other players: see Enrique Iglesias.

Go out, do your homework, and really understand the kids you're recruiting. The staff is doing that now, and it bodes well for us.

badger
11/14/2008, 10:42 AM
Bomar could have been good, but we will never know.

He is going to play in the NFL though, so...

:P Of course, star ratings should be used to determine potential in college, not the NFL.

KingDavid
11/14/2008, 11:58 PM
What is the status on the big DT out of Lufkin (McFarland, I think?) and the highly rated db out of Tulsa. I think both are 5 star (or maybe the DB is only a high 4?).

Eielson
11/15/2008, 12:13 AM
I think both are 5 star (or maybe the DB is only a high 4?).

If you are talking about Gabe Lynn, he is a high 4 star. Getting him would pretty much be as good as getting a five star.

Am I the only one that thinks Lynn looks much taller than just 6'0?

KingDavid
11/15/2008, 12:28 AM
If you are talking about Gabe Lynn, he is a high 4 star. Getting him would pretty much be as good as getting a five star.

Am I the only one that thinks Lynn looks much taller than just 6'0?

He just looks good. I think we have a good shot based on what I've read so far. We'll see.

pappy
11/15/2008, 11:30 PM
I think star ratings aren't that big of deal. Its about attitude and work ethic like a lot of you have said. Sometimes though 5-stars pan out largely because they have the right attitude and work ethic see adrian peterson. you'll find more guys that were not 5-stars on the all-american and all conference teams then you will guys that were 5-stars coming out of high school.

here are some of the top offensive players in the big 12 this year with their rivals ranking out of high school...

Sam Bradford - 3
Jermaine Gresham - 4
Demarco Murray - 4
Juaquin Iglesias - 3
Chris Brown - 4
Graham Harrell - 4
Michael Crabtree - 4
Todd Reesing - 3
Jake Sharp - 3
Dezmon Briscoe - 3
Zac Robinson - 3
Dez Bryant - 4
Kendall Hunter - 3
Brandon Pettigrew - 2
Chase Daniel - 3
Jeremy Maclin - 4
Chase Coffman - 3
Derrick Washington - 4
Colt Mccoy - 3
Quan Cosby - 4
Jordan Shipley - 4
Brandon Banks - 3
Josh Freeman - 4
Nathan Swift - 3
Joe Ganz - 2
Robert Griffin - 4

Ok I'm honestly surprised that none of these guys were 5 stars. I went off the stats by position rushing, receiving, passing and a guy like pettigrew who most nfl guys scouts have as the top te I personally disagree and think Gresham is the best te, but whatever.

JaminT
12/13/2008, 01:09 PM
The Jarboe Effect

I know we don't know all the details about his dismissal, but public national perception is we turned him loose for rappin on youtube.

Regardless of how you personally feel, you're more than likely not an african american youth, and rap is probably not part of you culture.

It was NOT the best PR move of the Stoops era, and our recruiting this year shows.

(neg away)

Collier11
12/13/2008, 02:48 PM
He rapped about guns and shooting people right after he got arrested for guns. OU hasnt received any backlash that ive seen about Jarboe. Stoops did the right thing although I felt bad for the kid somewhat.

Curly Bill
12/13/2008, 04:48 PM
The Jarboe Effect

I know we don't know all the details about his dismissal, but public national perception is we turned him loose for rappin on youtube.

Regardless of how you personally feel, you're more than likely not an african american youth, and rap is probably not part of you culture.

It was NOT the best PR move of the Stoops era, and our recruiting this year shows.

(neg away)

I think Stoops went too far giving Jarboe the boot too, but to say our recruiting shows a backlash is stretching things considerably. True, we have not signed but one top 100 guy, and no 5-stars so far, but kicking off Jarboe isn't the reason for it.

JaminT
12/13/2008, 07:41 PM
true, we have not signed but one top 100 guy, and no 5-stars so far, but kicking off Jarboe isn't the reason for it.

I'm not saying what Stoops did (if it was even his call) was right or wrong, that doesn't matter. What I am saying is whether we accept it or not, it IS A FACTOR to some people.

If Bob was recruiting middle aged white men who love Oklahoma football from birth, then I would feel almost certain that this would be a non issue.

But Bob isn't recruiting middle aged white men who love Oklahoma Football, he's recruiting a generation of african american athletes who probably grew up rapping about big screen tv's, blunts, 40's and bitches.

What was Jarboe supposed to rap about? Pancakes, Sunshine and Jesus. It's not as if he went on national tv waving a gun around screaming he was gonna shoot up the school, he was fooling around amongst his OU friends (some OU players) and happened to be recorded on a CELL PHONE and someone OTHER than him posted the video to Youtube.

We can spin this any way we want to, but I seriously doubt our recruiting strategy has shifted away from going after the best athletes in the country.

I challenge any of you to compare this class to any in this decade and claim we're getting the same results. (hint 2007 was close)

(Inb4 ratings don't matter, we're recruiting character now....)

badger
12/13/2008, 11:49 PM
Perhaps Texas should stop paying attention to rivals and do some REAL recruiting from now on?

:P Then again, I like watching them fall short at the worst possible moments. Keep chasing those five stars, Mack!

Rhino
12/14/2008, 12:31 AM
Jarboe raised plenty of eyebrows before that video came out. He was bad news from the day he stepped on campus until the day he left. The video was just the final nail in the coffin.

And, don't look now, but a three-star recruit just won the Heisman.

badger
12/14/2008, 01:14 AM
Heisman winners:
2008: 3-star
2007: 5-star
2006: 4-star
2005: 5-star
2004: 5-star

Hmm...

Harry Beanbag
12/14/2008, 04:22 AM
Heisman winners:
2008: 3-star
2007: 5-star
2006: 4-star
2005: 5-star
2004: 5-star

Hmm...

You forgot to add...

2003: 2-star

badger
12/14/2008, 09:22 AM
You forgot to add...

2003: 2-star

I looked up Jason - I guess he was too early to have on their site. Ah well :)

Harry Beanbag
12/14/2008, 11:25 AM
Rivals has it archived. They don't even have Q's name spelled correctly...first or last. :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20010414015502/rivals100.rivals.com/default.asp?p=6&y=1999&sp=1&cs=1.1.1.71.24

Bosley
12/14/2008, 04:38 PM
The Jarboe Effect

(neg away)

It was a huge risk even taking the kid after he was arrested for bringing a gun to school. The fact that Stoops even gave him a second chance is mind boggling for some when we live in the age of columbine. We gave him a second chance and on a pure self preservation level had to let him go. Why? Because we're the University of Oklahoma and not the University of Texas. If the fact that we let someone go because they brought a gun to school and without being on the field a week made the team a liability by posting a video about killing people, turns off football recruits...They probly dont need to be here in the first place.

SCxxSOONER
12/14/2008, 10:15 PM
I agree, I was surprised Stoops gave him his second chance in the first place. I understand that it really wasn't that big of a deal because he was just kidding around, however it obviously wasnt the best publicity for the university of Oklahoma, so I have mixed feelings about the issue

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/15/2008, 12:21 PM
I agree, I was surprised Stoops gave him his second chance in the first place. I understand that it really wasn't that big of a deal because he was just kidding around, however it obviously wasnt the best publicity for the university of Oklahoma, so I have mixed feelings about the issue

The kid was stupid to post the video in the first place.. Come on he had been arrested for carrying a gun where he shouldn't have had one.

SCxxSOONER
12/15/2008, 04:37 PM
The kid was stupid to post the video in the first place.. Come on he had been arrested for carrying a gun where he shouldn't have had one.

Jarboe did not post the video, whoever did was stupid enought not to think about what might happen. Bottom line is that he had a history with guns and shouldnt have put himself in that type of situation. Prob wouldve been a great player, but one of the marks of a great player is character.

Collier11
12/15/2008, 05:13 PM
you blame the person who posted the video, I blame the guy who was in the video

SCxxSOONER
12/15/2008, 05:51 PM
you blame the person who posted the video, I blame the guy who was in the video

i am not excusing what Jarboe did, but i think that if he knew it was going to be on the internet he never would have done it

Collier11
12/15/2008, 06:04 PM
he knew there was a video camera or camera phone there...if he didnt he is an idiot

SCxxSOONER
12/15/2008, 07:54 PM
whatever the case may be, OU has moved on and are going after #8 w/o him! BOOMER!

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/16/2008, 10:03 AM
Jarboe did not post the video, whoever did was stupid enought not to think about what might happen. Bottom line is that he had a history with guns and shouldnt have put himself in that type of situation. Prob wouldve been a great player, but one of the marks of a great player is character.

I stand corrected.....He was just stupid for making the video in the first place...,or did someone else make the video without him knowing???

oudivesherpa
12/16/2008, 01:39 PM
Has anyone done a corrleation between recruiting class rankings and BCS standings say three years later? I would guess there is a positive relationship between the number of 4 and 5 star commits and BCS rankings.
However, coaching is a major factor in performance, Mac Brown always seems to win the recruiting wars in April but his on the field performance in BCS games is questionable. Bottom line the best recruits and the best coaching generally wins championships!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/16/2008, 03:07 PM
i think the biggest problem with recruiting is that everyone talks in absolutes, which you see a lot of in this thread. its okay to admit that some 5*s never pan out and some do. its okay to say that there are a bunch of 3*s that are much better than their 5* equivalents. it is also safe to say that teams get lucky - colt mccoy was almost ran off when texas got a commit from perriloux (he went on an official to tulane), jd runnells was not offered until really late in the year (after we'd struck out on 4 other running backs) and he switched his commit from aTm to us.

we did some research in the offseason and here were some interesting factoids that we found about recruiting in general and then recruiting at OU in particular.

1. the services tend to be better at evaluating some positions than others - they are pretty good at TE, WR and DT and pretty bad at DE, QB, and OL. in other words, the more the position is about measureables, the better they are at getting it right. when other factors are included i.e. projecting weight gain, decision making, etc. it becomes more unclear.

2. the services have changed their rankings criteria quite often over the last 10 years. they've pretty much dropped the concept of a 1 star player making it into D1 like they did back in 1999 and 2000. why? because it doesn't look as bad if a 3 star QB goes to OU and wins the heisman compared with a 1 star QB who goes to OU and is runner up to the heisman and wins a MNC.

3. services give reputation stars - to both cover their butts and to appease the people paying them. when you look at the rivals rankings you will see that 5.7 is a high 3 star and 5.8 is a low four star. for OU, 5.8's tend to be our reputation guys.

4. services tend to change rankings over the year. a perfect example is tebow who skyrocketed up the charts over the course of the year. heck he jumped 6 spots after the army AA game.

for OU

1. in general, recruiting rankings are an accurate predictor of on field results. however, when you look at the actual stars of the people who played for OU, you begin to see that, with OU anyway, its more coincidence than predictive power. i'll give an example...

QB - 2004 rhett bomar (5*), 2006 bradford (3*), 2007 keith nichol (4*), landry jones (4*) - so for this year our avg over the last 5 years is 4* giving us a very high "recruiting predictor" - the problem is that its the 3* who is carrying almost all of the numbers (for this year and last year when you drop jones and add grady giving you the same average).

its like this at quite a few positions - guys like iglesias (who wasn't ranked until he committed, then thrown in as a low 3 star only because of stoops' reputation with sleepers), auston english (same) litter our roster.

2. height is our achilles heel. we've seen it time and time again - we pass on the guy a because guy b is 2 inches taller. guy a tends to be a solid player where guy b ends up sitting for 2 years and transferring. the 2 positions we see this the most at are WR and DB.

as an aside, adrian peterson played 27 games at OU, we won 21 of them. :D

BillySims
12/16/2008, 06:19 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2395/2530601345_fb9f2f1293_o.jpg

5* BOOMER-Q.

BOOMER!

SCxxSOONER
12/16/2008, 10:59 PM
I stand corrected.....He was just stupid for making the video in the first place...,or did someone else make the video without him knowing???

Jarboe did not post the video, I doubt he knew it would end up on the internet of anything like that, that being said it was a dumb move on both persons part

OUAlumni1990
12/17/2008, 12:05 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2395/2530601345_fb9f2f1293_o.jpg

5* BOOMER-Q.

BOOMER!

I am hungry now...

insuranceman_22
12/18/2008, 05:49 PM
Gabe Lynn ***** - yep 5 stars! More to come (hopefully)!