PDA

View Full Version : I am amazed...

Sooner in Tampa
11/4/2008, 01:42 PM
...at the number of people who say they were not asked for ID in order to VOTE.

WTF is that all about???

BigRedJed
11/4/2008, 01:43 PM
It's illegal?

BigRedJed
11/4/2008, 01:44 PM
Or is it?

BigRedJed
11/4/2008, 01:45 PM
Here's the breakdown of where it is required: Linky (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/28/voter.identification/index.html)

Lott's Bandana
11/4/2008, 01:49 PM
I suppose if they record your vote, then in a perfect system, YOU would not be allowed to vote again, regardless of whether it was really you or not.

Still, seems some shenanigans could take place if a partial group took the time to figure out who was in the hospital...out of the country...not gonna vote, etc.

Half a Hundred
11/4/2008, 01:56 PM
I suppose if they record your vote, then in a perfect system, YOU would not be allowed to vote again, regardless of whether it was really you or not.

Still, seems some shenanigans could take place if a partial group took the time to figure out who was in the hospital...out of the country...not gonna vote, etc.

If our region of the country (generally not Oklahoma) could ever figure out how to stop screwing black voters over so the Voting Rights Act of 1965 could lapse, then tighter regulations could be required.

Until then, not going to happen.

frankensooner
11/4/2008, 02:15 PM
I showed mine today. First time ever and I vote every election.

mdklatt
11/4/2008, 02:17 PM
I've never been asked.

tommieharris91
11/4/2008, 02:19 PM
I showed my ID today. I think the SCOTUS said it was legal about 6 months ago, too.

1890MilesToNorman
11/4/2008, 02:27 PM
My name is Juan Miguel Santa Cruise de'Ablo and I am here to vote.

That's all you have to say.

Viking Kitten
11/4/2008, 02:30 PM
I have a wierd last name, so I always have my DL out because it saves me having to spell it nine times for the hard-of-hearing precinct workers. I've never been asked for it, as it's not generally required in Oklahoma.

There was a bit of a hiccup this morning at Mayflower Congo Church in OKC. One poll worker was asking for it, not as a requirement, just to speed the line along. Some guy in line got p**sed and when and made a federal case out of it, even though they allowed him to vote with showing ID. Some people need to chill the f*** out.

Widescreen
11/4/2008, 02:30 PM
They were checking IDs at our polling place. It's remarkable that every place doesn't require a valid ID and that ID must prove you are a US citizen and eligible to vote. IOW, if you are an illegal and have a driver's license, that should not get you a vote. The DL should be special indicating that you are not a citizen.

Scott D
11/4/2008, 02:32 PM
we had to show ID, and if you didn't have a DL or State ID, they took passports, military id's and another form of id that eludes me right now.

Viking Kitten
11/4/2008, 02:33 PM
I showed my ID today. I think the SCOTUS said it was legal about 6 months ago, too.

It is acceptable for states to pass laws requiring it, but here in Oklahoma that has not happened yet. A bill to get that going died in the state Senate last May.

Viking Kitten
11/4/2008, 02:34 PM
They were checking IDs at our polling place. It's remarkable that every place doesn't require a valid ID and that ID must prove you are a US citizen and eligible to vote. IOW, if you are an illegal and have a driver's license, that should not get you a vote. The DL should be special indicating that you are not a citizen.

Are you in Oklahoma?

Widescreen
11/4/2008, 02:36 PM
No, TX.

proud gonzo
11/4/2008, 02:39 PM
ID not required in Kansas.

Scott D
11/4/2008, 02:43 PM

neither is believing in evolution ;)

Flagstaffsooner
11/4/2008, 02:47 PM
I had to show my voter ID and DL.

frankensooner
11/4/2008, 03:31 PM
I think it was merely to speed the long line along at my polling place.

And seriously, is Kitten that hard to spell?

jkjsooner
11/4/2008, 03:35 PM

I agree but just about 10 years ago that (requiring papers) would have been considered almost communist by the right wing nutjobs.

Just sayin'.

royalfan5
11/4/2008, 03:36 PM
No ID in Nebraska either, we are required to sign next to our name, so your name can only be voted under once in that precinct.

SoonerJack
11/4/2008, 03:36 PM
I have a wierd last name, so I always have my DL out because it saves me having to spell it nine times for the hard-of-hearing precinct workers.

They can't spell K-I-T-T-E-N?

OklahomaRed
11/4/2008, 03:40 PM
Did not have to show my ID, but they did ask for my voter's registration card, although there was someone in front of me that did not have that, but you do have to sign beside your name.

Texas voter.

mdklatt
11/4/2008, 03:56 PM
It's remarkable that every place doesn't require a valid ID and that ID must prove you are a US citizen and eligible to vote.

Isn't that what voter registration is for?

1890MilesToNorman
11/4/2008, 03:59 PM
Anyone have the exit polls for Mexico City or Toronto? It might be a close one.

Widescreen
11/4/2008, 04:03 PM
Isn't that what voter registration is for?

This discussion is around voting, not registration. If you can walk into a voting place and say that you're Jim Johnson (when you're not) and then vote, that's wrong.

mdklatt
11/4/2008, 04:12 PM
This discussion is around voting, not registration. If you can walk into a voting place and say that you're Jim Johnson (when you're not) and then vote, that's wrong.

How often does this actually happen? Does it happen enough that it's worth making it a lot more difficult for a lot of people to vote?

It's remarkable that every place doesn't require a valid ID and that ID must prove you are a US citizen and eligible to vote.

Once again, how is this not taken care of by the registration process? If I'm an eligible voter, my name is already on a list. If I'm not on the list, I can't vote.

GrapevineSooner
11/4/2008, 04:14 PM
We require people to show a photo ID to cash a check. Which last I checked, is something I've engaged in far more often than voting.

I don't think it's too much to expect people to have to do the same when they vote.

EDIT: And to expound on this, you should be able to prove you are who you say you are and you're validated to vote at the precinct where you say you live.

mdklatt
11/4/2008, 04:17 PM
We require people to show a photo ID to cash a check. Which last I checked, is something I've engaged in far more often than voting.

Check kiting is a known problem. How many proven cases of voting fraud are there? Also, you don't have a Constitutional right to write checks.

GrapevineSooner
11/4/2008, 04:38 PM
How often does this actually happen? Does it happen enough that it's worth making it a lot more difficult for a lot of people to vote?

How is requiring a photo ID making it 'a lot more difficult' to vote?

Once again, how is this not taken care of by the registration process? If I'm an eligible voter, my name is already on a list. If I'm not on the list, I can't vote.

What if I move 10 times between elections? Is there some process in place where one election board notifies all the other election boards where I've ever been registered to vote at to let them know?

Furthermore, what would prevent my asshat neighbor from claiming they are me from voting in an election I had no desire to vote in?

Or using the name of a dead person? How does the election board know they're dead?

Harry Beanbag
11/4/2008, 04:40 PM
I had to show my voter ID and DL.

Yep, it's the law out here. I didn't have to show my voter ID, but had to pull out my DL twice.

BigRedJed
11/4/2008, 04:51 PM
Did you have to take off your shoes?

BigRedJed
11/4/2008, 04:52 PM
Wait. That's for having sex. I always forget which one it's for.

Harry Beanbag
11/4/2008, 04:52 PM
Did you have to take off your shoes?

No, just my pants.

BigRedJed
11/4/2008, 04:54 PM
You can leave your pants on for sex. What were you thinking?

Oldnslo
11/4/2008, 05:07 PM
I didn't have to show ID.

But, you see, I'm white.

BudSooner
11/4/2008, 05:44 PM
I showed mine today. First time ever and I vote every election.

Hmmm, i'm pretty sure that you would get arrested for indecent exposure.

I have a wierd last name, so I always have my DL out because it saves me having to spell it nine times for the hard-of-hearing precinct workers.
Not at all, I understand kitten is quite a common name. :D

Uh.....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/2620861073_1c436a242e_o.jpg
:D

StoopTroup
11/4/2008, 05:55 PM
Oh man....

PG hates quarters....

You've done it now.

BudSooner
11/4/2008, 05:56 PM
Damn, I looked for a silver dollar...drat!

GottaHavePride
11/4/2008, 09:58 PM
They can't spell K-I-T-T-E-N?

Yeah, they keep spelling it KITTEH.