PDA

View Full Version : This kid is a GAMER, and quite inspirational too.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/4/2008, 09:42 AM
River Hill's Hostetler: Football & Life with Cystic Fibrosis (http://www.digitalsports.com/article/type/organization/typeid/0/id/43028.aspx)
Senior QB's infectious, can't-lose attitude produces combined, 52-0 mark over nearly five, rec. league, JV, varsity football seasons.

by Lem Satterfield
E-mail: [email protected]

Call Luke Hostetler's cellular phone, and you're likely to hear the River Hill senior singing this, slightly, off-beat tune:

"Hi, you've reached, Luke Hostetlerrrrr. I'm not here right nowwwwww!!!! Please, just leave a message, and I'll will call you back. Bye Byeeeeeeeee!!!"

So Luke, what's up with that?

"I thought it wouldn't hurt to try it. I'm just sort of goofy with stuff that way, sometimes," said the Hawks' 5-foot-10, 170-pound quarterback, who lists among his favorite pastimes, "doing crazy stuff that's out of the norm, like jumping off of real high bridges into the water," and "learning, from my cousin, Dan, to do standing back flips off of the ground."

Grounded, spiritually, however, is among the best ways to describe Luke Hostetler, who has endured Cystic Fibrosis -- a life-threatening, genetic disease that causes mucus to clog organs in the body, usually the lungs or pancreas -- for the past 17 years.

The incurable disease affects numerous Americans.

"My whole life, I've been a strong believer in Christ, and I believe that he's given me this idea that I can not only live with this disease, but to be an example to others and have a positive influence on people," said Luke Hostetler, who is the nephew of former 12-year NFL football player, Jeff Hostetler, and whose legacy includes inheriting his signal calling duties from cousin, Daniel, as a junior.

"I have spoken at Cystic Fibrosis fundraisers, at an annual event that supports Cystic Fibrosis. I spoke in front of several major profitable business owners who were in support of Cystic Fibrosis," said Hostetler, a student with a 3.4 grade point average.
"That made me feel like I was giving back to the community," Hostetler said. "There is a drug on the verge of going through the FDA that could be a cure in pill form. It's called Vertex. It's very promising."

"But this really is not about me," said Luke Hostetler. "With the idea that I have, Christ has given me strength, basically, and, really, a wonderful, healthy shot in life that I'm able to perform for his glory."

That goes for the football field as well, where, in six games this year for the DigitalSports’ top-ranked, unbeaten Hawks, Hostetler has thrown for a modest four touchdowns and more than 250 yards. As the Hawks head into Friday night's big game opposite once-beaten Marriotts Ridge, Hostetler has rushed for three touchdowns.

Last season, Hostetler ran for four touchdowns and threw for more than 600 yards and 15 more, including a 69-yarder to Malek Redd in the Hawks' come-from-behind, 14-7, Class 2A state title-winning effort over previously unbeaten Eastern Tech of Baltimore County.

Impressively, Hostetler has not experienced a defeat since his days with the 12-0, Columbia Ravens' 10-to-12 age group football team. The run continued to include a 20-0 mark over two junior varsity seasons, last year's 14-0 record, and this year's 6-0 mark -- a span of 52 games.

Hostetler downplays his unblemished record – which could reach 60 should the Hawks repeat as state titlists -- as much as he takes pride in his legacy.

"I've been put on a pretty stacked squad for all of these years, so it's not a credit to me at all. Freshman year, I had Malik, Mike, Leron on my team.
Sophomore year, they got moved up to the varsity, but I still give a lot of credit to the coaches for preparing me well," said Hostetler, who could become the 18th of Norman and Dolly Hostetler's grandchildren to play collegiate athletics.

"The family legacy, yeah, that's somewhat a source of pride," Hostetler said. "Having that name on the back of that jersey with all of the relatives that have come before, you know, you just don't want to be the one to ruin that rep, and that legacy. There's definitely some pressure to hold that up."

Michael Campanaro, however believes that Hostetler's accomplishment is a big deal.

"I've known him since we played a year together on the 10-12 Columbia Ravens, and from there on out, he hasn't lost a game since when you add his two years on JV, and then the one where we went 14-0 last year," said River Hill's Wake Forest-bound athlete, Michael Campanaro.

Campanaro is part of a powerful Hawks' backfield that includes Central Michigan-bound speedster Malek Redd and safety Leron Eaddy, all of whom have played alongside Hostetler since their days leading the championship-winning Columbia Ravens' youth league teams.

"No matter how you cut it, that's a very impressive record. Luke's a winner, and you can just see why. You know, once you meet Luke, he's so positive. And he stays that way on the field," Campanaro said of Hostetler, who also deftly finds talented receiver, Kevin Johnson, and tight end Ryan Griffin in the Hawks' Spread Offense.

"No doubt, we have a lot of speed and a lot of talent, but I think Luke definitetly gets overlooked because of that, as well as because of his size. But he's very accurate,"

Campanaro had much more to say about Hostetler, whose cousin, Daniel, now playing lacrosse at Georgetown, quarterbacked the Hawks to a 13-1 record and a Class 3A state runner-up finish in 2006.

"Luke might be the most accurate of all of the Hostetlers. I know that our coaches are really confident in him," Campanaro said. "Luke is very detailed when he plays. He's always very calm. He gets everybody up. I think that Luke has thrown touchdown passes the last three games. And every time he throws, he looks good."

Hostetler is considering Division III football at Grove City College, where his brother, Josh, plays, or collegiate lacrosse at Washington and Jefferson, Gettysburg, Messiah or Virginia Wesleyan.

As far as Luke Hostetler's disease, Campanaro said the signal caller "doesn't talk about it much."

"You don't notice it at all. He stays positive. He's very Christian-based in his beliefs," said Campanaro, who starred, as a sophomore, on the Hawks' Class 3A state title-winning basketball team, and hopes, with Eaddy, to talk Hostetler into playing this winter season.

"He already stays active with playing football and lacrosse, and he played basketball during his freshman year," Campanaro said. "So we're trying to talk him into playing again this year."

Make no mistake about it, however, said Hostetler: The right-hander's off of the field battle with Cystic Fibrosis is, no less, a gruelling one.

During the week leading up to last year's victory over Eastern Tech, Hostetler told The Baltimore Examiner that each morning for the past six years, he has worn a vibrating vest for 20 minutes twice daily that shakes his chest to help prevent mucus from gathering "so it's easier to cough out."

Hostetler said that he eats "healthy, but pretty much anything I want," adding that, "with meals, I require the intake of enzyme pills -- about 20 a day that help to facilitate the digestion process with my food and nutrition."

"Basically, the mucus doesn't allow the enzymes to naturally be secreted from the pancreas to digest food," said Hostetler. "So, therefore, I have to take them by mouth to help with the digestive process."

The common symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis can be shortness of breath, said Hostetler, "which can lead to fatigue when running long distance," he said.

"But that really hasn't affected me yet," Hostetler said, "and I attribute that to my faith in Jesus Christ, and also, to my consistency in doing my treatments."

Hostetler also told The Examiner that before he goes to bed, he completes another session with the vest, usually wearing it as he completes his homework or watches television.

"Every night, before I go to bed, basically, I pray. The gist of it is that I thank God for continuing to keep me healthy and being able to perform for his glory," Hostetler said. "Because, like I said before, this is definitely not about me."

MORE ON LUKE HOSTETLER:

THE LUKE HOSTETLER FILE: Luke Hostetler is a combined 52-0 since his days with the Columbia Ravens’ 12-0 youth championship squad. He is 40-0 as a high school starting QB. In high school, Hostetler has gone 20-0 over two seasons as a junior varsity player. Hostetler was 14-0 as a starter on last year’s Class 2A state champion. And Hostetler is 6-0 this year, with the potential to complete a 14-0 record for an overall mark of 60-0.

LAST YEAR'S STATISTICS: Last year, Luke threw for more than 600 yards and 15 TDs, the last of which was a 69-yarder to Malek Redd that keyed the Hawks' come-from-behind, 14-7 Class 2A state title-winning victory over previously unbeaten Eastern Tech of Baltimore County. Luke rushed for four touchdowns last year.

FAMILY PLOT: At least 17 of Norman and Dolly Hostetler’s 28 grandchildren have played collegiate athletics. Norman and Dolly had seven children, including four boys -- Doug, Ron, Todd and Jeff.

Luke’s father is named Todd Hostetler. Luke’s brother, Josh (now at Grove City College, Pa.), graduated from River Hill in 2005 after having played football and lacrosse.

Luke’s uncle, Jeff Hostetler, played 12 years as a QB in the NFL. Luke’s local cousins are Daniel, Ben, Laura and Matt – the children of Doug and Nancy Hostetler.

Ben and Daniel are at Georgetown, and both are playing lacrosse. Daniel was the QB of the Hawks’ Class 3A state runners-up in 2006. Laura played lacrosse at George Washington. Matt graduated from Brown. All went to River Hill.

yermom
11/4/2008, 12:42 PM
that's awesome

i'd imagine that if he wasn't trying to play football his health would suffer for it

meoveryouxinfinity
11/4/2008, 12:48 PM
that's awesome

i'd imagine that if he wasn't trying to play football his health would suffer for it

I think it's amazing that he's starting.. and winning. I knew a lot of kids in HS who were built like crazy but didn't play because asthma. Wussies.

engineer24
11/4/2008, 02:44 PM
Wow thats an awesome story. I really hope this young man lives for some time. However, CF is a universally fatal disease. The average lifespan is now in the late 20s/early 30s. Eventually he'll get a pneumonia due to the mucus buildup that he just cant shake off and it will kill him.

I've tried out one of those shaking vests that CF people use. Its very uncomfortable, makes you itch all over. But its absolutely necessary to break up the mucus. Without it, these people would be dead before they turn into teenagers.

Landthief 1972
11/4/2008, 05:08 PM
I had a friend in grade school who had CF. He died when he was in 5th grade, I believe. The fact that kids with CF can live into their 20s and 30s now is amazing. Hopefully, the cure is around the corner.