PDA

View Full Version : ESPN... is this true?????

DUCKHUNTDAVE
11/3/2008, 11:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/0803

Only a two-way tie between the Longhorns and Red Raiders would definitely be bad news for Texas. But if the Horns can win their next three games (Baylor, at Kansas, Texas A&M), they should capture the division if either Oklahoma (at A&M, Tech, at OSU) or Oklahoma State (at Tech, at Colorado, OU) can also win out.

I thought If OU wins out they would pas Texas in the BCS rankings, but according to Brad Evans, Texas would stay ahead?

Even a late loss won't eliminate Texas from BCS chase
By Brad Edwards
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: November 3, 2008, 10:50 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
An old college football adage says it's always better to lose early in the season than late.

But thanks to the BCS, that line of thinking has become as outdated as leather helmets.

Teams with 1 Loss or more in BCS Championship Game
Year Team Lost In
2007 LSU November (2nd loss)
2007 Ohio State November
2006 Florida October
2003 LSU October
2003 Oklahoma December
2001 Nebraska November
2000 Florida State October
1998 Florida State September
Now this doesn't mean losses in November are suddenly a good thing. But ever since computers entered the process of determining the participants in college football's national championship game, the quality of a loss has become just as significant as the timing of a loss.

And the Texas Longhorns are hoping this holds true in 2008.

Even fresh off its first defeat of the season, Texas is still well-positioned for a run to the BCS Championship Game. Although the Horns trail the undefeated major-conference teams in this week's BCS standings, they have the best loss of all the once-beaten teams, and they also have a head-to-head advantage on two other teams in that group (Oklahoma and Oklahoma State).

And if you take a good look at the remaining schedules, Texas could still be considered the favorite to win the Big 12. Unless Texas Tech can beat Oklahoma State this week (ABC, 8 p.m. ET) and also win at Oklahoma later in the month, the Longhorns are likely to end up in some sort of tiebreaker scenario between once-beaten teams in the Big 12 South. And UT will have the edge in most of those scenarios.

Only a two-way tie between the Longhorns and Red Raiders would definitely be bad news for Texas. But if the Horns can win their next three games (Baylor, at Kansas, Texas A&M), they should capture the division if either Oklahoma (at A&M, Tech, at OSU) or Oklahoma State (at Tech, at Colorado, OU) can also win out.

The biggest threat to Texas among the once-beaten teams is probably Florida, which is gaining momentum with four straight SEC wins by 30 or more points, including an impressive 49-10 beating of Georgia on Saturday. If the Gators can complete their regular-season run with victories at Florida State and against Alabama in the SEC championship game, they could have enough quality wins to make that home loss to Ole Miss a distant memory to voters ... and perhaps challenge Texas for a spot in the BCS Championship Game.

colleyvillesooner
11/3/2008, 11:04 PM
He's wrong. Shocking.

sooner59
11/3/2008, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't put too much into what those people say. Until this last week, the media was saying that the only way OU could make it to the CCG was for Texas to lose 2 games, which was next to impossible. Now the horns' destiny is out of their hands.

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 11:05 PM
The guy is an idiot..... Our computer ranking is the only thing hurting us right now.... we have Texas covered in the 2 human polls that matter. After wins against TTech and the Pokes we will move ahead in the computer rankings as well. This guy is just looking for something to write.

hobbes2702
11/3/2008, 11:06 PM
It is gonna be very close if it is a three way tie. The TCU v. Utah game is gonna be important

Speer
11/3/2008, 11:11 PM
I think Edwards usually knows his stuff, but he doesn't have a clue what any of the polls will say in 3 weeks.

OU wins out, we have a shot. If not, it's the Cotton or Holiday Bowl. Any other talk is just noise.

bri
11/3/2008, 11:12 PM
You people do realize that BCS ranking is the fifth tiebreaker, right?

Who am I kidding? Of course you don't.

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 11:12 PM
We win out and we are in a BCS bowl.... lets just hope it's the big boy. Number 8 in '08?

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 11:13 PM

And you do realize it's the one that would apply right?

madillsoonerfan5353
11/3/2008, 11:18 PM

You do realize that the three way tie would take it that far, as long as the Poke don't knock off Tech and we beat them both, we should be in the Big 12 Championship Game! For the thrid time.......in THREE years!

:D

sooner59
11/3/2008, 11:19 PM

We do, or at least some of us do. Its still a decent possibility that it will come to that. If OSU beats Tech or if either us or Texas lose, then we can lay it to rest and it will be a different scenario. But as of now, only a couple of things need to happen for our Sooners to have a shot. Nothing wrong with discussing it.

Widescreen
11/3/2008, 11:20 PM

When was the last time you posted something that didn't include some comment about your superiority and everyone else's idiocy?

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 11:20 PM
I love our chances....

DUCKHUNTDAVE
11/3/2008, 11:40 PM
Tech has to beat OSU, right? Or our chances are pretty much shot, whether we win out or not? Wasn't even thinking about that really. This game is huge for us. We obviously have to win out which is a feat in itself, but hoping Tech beats OSU is scary.

THA RO SOONER
11/3/2008, 11:41 PM
The WORST scenario is Fla winnin' out (ccg) included. The espn fest would start!! But if we win out we DO gotta shot! GOD please forgive me! but GUNS UP! this weekend! right?!?!?

hobbes2702
11/3/2008, 11:46 PM
Yea yall need Tech to win them all. We want Tech to lose at least two and if not we need them to lose to OSU and OSU to beat yall. Otherwise it will be up to the polls to choose between Texas and OU.

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 11:50 PM
If we win out and Tech only loses to OSU we are in. No question. Our computer ranking will sky rocket past UT at that point, and that's all we need. I like our position better than anyone, but Tech's. All they have to do is win. Really feel good about where we are right now though. I Don't see us losing again. Want to have a shootout with us??????????????????????

DUCKHUNTDAVE
11/3/2008, 11:53 PM
If we win out and Tech only loses to OSU we are in. No question. Our computer ranking will sky rocket past UT at that point, and that's all we need. I like our position better than anyone, but Tech's. All they have to do is win. Really feel good about where we are right now though. I Don't see us losing again. Want to have a shootout with us??????????????????????

Gobbler, if Tech loses to OSU, and OU, that gives them 2 losses. Texas would be in a tie with OU with one loss. Texas would go to the Big 12 Championship. Tech has beat OSU Saturday.

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 11:54 PM
That was a typo!!!!!!!!!!!!! I meant if Tech only loses to us.... My bad!!! I think you had a typo at the end there too.... Tech HAS to win Saturday!

tommieharris91
11/4/2008, 12:02 AM
Umm... Texass has a .150 lead over OU in the computers right now. That is gigantically huge. Even if we get our big wins, it might not be enough to pull us ahead of texas.

BigGobbler
11/4/2008, 12:09 AM
Umm... Texass has a .150 lead over OU in the computers right now. That is gigantically huge. Even if we get our big wins, it might not be enough to pull us ahead of texas.

Look at the jumps from week to week in the computer rankings.... check out tech's and florida's this week. We can easily jump them... Look at the overall BCS numbers.... we don't even have to pass UT in the computers, just need to make it close. Human polls are handling the rest.

DUCKHUNTDAVE
11/4/2008, 12:20 AM
fixed it Gobbler, thanks....

.150? didn't think that was much? Especially if we beat a number 2 or possibly a number 1 Tech?

BigGobbler
11/4/2008, 12:22 AM
We're good to go.... Lets just win out and see what happens.

proudsoonergal
11/4/2008, 12:28 AM
If Tech beats OSU, and we beat A&M (oh yeah, we have to play them this weekend in College Station), then Tech (top 2 team in the country), then OSU (presumably a top 10ish team, assuming their only losses are to UT & Tech at that point), we move up the polls over Texas. Because, in contrast, Texas plays Baylor (not impressive), at Kansas (not as impressive as it was earlier this year, after getting pasted by OU & Tech), and A&M (rivalry game, but in Austin & not considered an impressive team). We would HAVE to move up in that case.

The only thing out of our hands is Tech/OSU. We need Tech to beat OSU. Other than that, I think we control our own destiny. So I'm not worried about one week's poll results.

Big Red Ron
11/4/2008, 12:40 AM

You realize that it's the most likely scenerio to play out right? Who am I kidding, of course not.

kevpks
11/4/2008, 12:49 AM
If Texas would just go ahead and lose in Lawrence it would really simplify things for everyone.

starclassic tama
11/4/2008, 12:52 AM
if it is a 3way tie in the south, i bet the human polls put texas ahead of us by a wide margin to ensure they make it to the big 12 title game since they have the head to head against us.

Big Red Ron
11/4/2008, 12:57 AM
if it is a 3way tie in the south, i bet the human polls put texas ahead of us by a wide margin to ensure they make it to the big 12 title game since they have the head to head against us.
I dunno, we beat teck and okie state and a loss way back in october will be a distant memory. Pliss the computers love us. Heck we're ahead of texas now in the coaches poll. The computers will follow.

EnragedOUfan
11/4/2008, 01:17 AM

Dude, it had better put us ahead of Texas. If Texas Tech can jump 5 spots for beating the then #1 team in the final seconds of the game, then if OU beats the #2 by a touchdown or two, Oklahoma had better jump at least 3 spots especially considering the fact that OU has played more ranked opponents than Tech. And then, if OU beats Oklahoma State in Stillwater by say a touchdown or two, that had better keep the Sooners ranked higher than Texas because that would have been 2 top 10/15 ranked opponents in the final 4 weeks of the season where as Texas' only ranked opponent would be top 20/25 Kansas. I think we will finally see if the computers/polls really hate Oklahoma. If OU doesn't jump several spots by beating Texas Tech, then there is somethiing f$#$ing wrong...

BOOMER!

sooner59
11/4/2008, 01:18 AM

Possibly true....except Texas could likely drop due to the rest of their schedule. If they drop, which is likely, and we win out (given that the other scenarios take place for us), then it would not be a shock for us to pass them. You bring up a great point with the .150, but we will shoot up if we win out given our schedule and the Texas schedule from here on out only drops them in the computers I think. No offense, thats just me. I like your posts, so im not dogging you.

MRNOTDUCKS
11/4/2008, 01:37 AM
After we beat texas in austin this year, they will be out of the BCS picture. three years in a row, and we will be putting in some special McGee option plays because they like those so much. ;-)

sooner59
11/4/2008, 01:46 AM
After we beat texas in austin this year, they will be out of the BCS picture. three years in a row, and we will be putting in some special McGee option plays because they like those so much. ;-)

If that happens I will spek you several times over.

tommieharris91
11/4/2008, 02:43 AM
http://www.colleyrankings.com/playgod.html

You can mess around with one of the BCS computers by playing around with future game winners there. I know it's not perfect, and I know that computer has Texass ranked 1st still, but I am having trouble plugging in scenarios where both Texass and OU win out and we pass them.

sendbaht
11/4/2008, 02:49 AM
First of all UT will lose to KU...we will also beat TT in Norman...

But the way I see it is, OU will be rank higher then UT if we all win out...Yes?

OU_Sooners75
11/4/2008, 04:13 AM
Boy, that is completely wrong!

Right now, the only thing seperating Texas and OU, is the fact that OU lost to Texas.

If OU wins out and beats Tech and Okie Lite, then OU will definitely jump Texas in the BCS, give OU the higher BCS ranking of the three, if there is a 3 way tie.

IF Okie Lite beats Tech, Texas (as long as they win out) will win the Division considering the OU/OSU game will then be playing for 2nd in the South. So we need Tech to win this weekend against the Okie Aggies.

MrJimBeam
11/4/2008, 06:03 AM

Hey, Tulsa lost. You can go back to South Oval now.

Sooner in Tampa
11/4/2008, 06:43 AM
When was the last time you posted something that didn't include some comment about your superiority and everyone else's idiocy?
hmmmmm....1999 maybe...if ever.

oumartin
11/4/2008, 08:24 AM
Bri is just upset with his T-rex syndrome

SoonersEnFuego
11/4/2008, 08:56 AM
So we need Tech to win this weekend against the Okie Aggies.

Yes, this is true. We need to cheer on Tech this weekend and then turn around and beat their brains in.

ocsooner
11/4/2008, 09:45 AM
So the title says ESPN in it - that makes it a trash statement designed to flare up the message boards and increase their ratings. Kind of like NoBama saying he wants a NCAA Football playoff. That one got it's own thread also...

meoveryouxinfinity
11/4/2008, 09:47 AM
lol @ bowl predictions (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowlprojection?season=2008&week=10)

Mark Schlabach
AT&T Cotton
(Big 12 vs. SEC)
Oklahoma vs. LSU

I'd love to see that matchup. Our defense would look like world beaters.

Blues1
11/4/2008, 10:31 AM
Baylor 37 -- Texas 35 ---- :)

Keep Rockin'

soonervegas
11/4/2008, 10:37 AM
Many people are comparing OU and Texas, but if we end up with a three way tie voters will actually be comparing OU, Texas, and Tech. In that scenario I think that the team that ended the year beating #2 or #1 (go LSU) and then #12 gets the nod via computers (especially if TCU/Cincy keep winning) and human emotion. That would give OU the edge.

soonervegas
11/4/2008, 10:38 AM
and on a side note....what a burn for Texas. Beating us 2 out of the last 3 years and watching us play for our 3rd straight Big 12 title. Heh.

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/4/2008, 10:39 AM

texass has played the toughest part of their schedule with 4 highly ranked opponents. We can make up that difference with a win over #1 or 2 Tech(if they win against aggie lite) and over aggie lite with them being top 10 or so on the road will bolster OUr SOS as well as move us up in the polls. We have (arguably) the toughest finishing schedule in the country and the toughest in the Big 12. This is good for us because the voters and pollsters are very fickle and have a short memory. If we win out, this can do nothing but help OUr cause. We have to pull for the idiots down in lubbock and then we virtually have our fate in our own hands again because I am convinced the polls will take care of themselves.

Knippz
11/4/2008, 10:45 AM
texass has played the tOUghest part of their schedule with 4 highly ranked opponents. We can make up that difference with a win over #1 or 2 Tech(if they win against aggie lite) and over aggie lite with them being top 10 or so on the road will bolster OUr SOS as well as move us up in the polls. We have (arguably) the tOUghest finishing schedule in the cOUntry and the tOUghest in the Big 12. This is good for us because the voters and pollsters are very fickle and have a short memory. If we win OUt, this can do nothing but help OUr cause. We have to pull for the idiots down in lubbock and then we virtually have OUr fate in OUr own hands again because I am convinced the polls will take care of themselves.

I edited your post so that all the OU's in there were capitalized. You left some out. :O

soonermix
11/4/2008, 12:15 PM
i don't think i have seen that in the computer rankings and the lead that texas may have on us right now they still have kansas, baylor and a&m while we will have tech, osu and a&m so while we will get a boost from our remaining games texas will almost certainly be hurt by theirs.

also the more cincy and tcu win the better for us
how bout that we beat possibly the big east and mwc champions in a single season what did texas or tech do????
helps us in the computers.

OklahomaTuba
11/4/2008, 12:41 PM
If TCU beats #8 Utah, and jumps into the top 10, that should help as well.

bri
11/4/2008, 01:13 PM

Let's see, you joined 10/4/03....so probably 10/3/03.

OUTrumpet
11/4/2008, 01:29 PM
Look at the last few weeks. Since we played Texas, they have played Mizzou, Okie St, and Texas Tech. We played KU, KSU, and Nebraska. Of course Texas will be stronger in the computers.

However, Texas has KU, Baylor and ATM left. We have Okie State, TTU, and ATM. Our down the stretch strength should carry us past them, or at least make the playing field more equal to mostly focus on ooc games where we would be better.

Crimson_Balls
11/4/2008, 01:29 PM

I wish I could be like you one day bri.

Maybe in 2020 when my elite Soonerfans membership catches up to Senior Dikhead Status.

;)

douxpaysan
11/4/2008, 01:31 PM
Let's see, you joined 10/4/03....so probably 10/3/03.Bri is a fart smellar...If I could buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he is worth....I would be Boone Pickens.:D

MojoRisen
11/4/2008, 01:55 PM
I am pulling for Tech and LSU this weekend - beating a number one Texas Tech on National TV prime time would do a lot for US. It would clinch it and leave destiny in our hands against OSU.

Widescreen
11/4/2008, 02:13 PM

In that case, congrats on your recent 5 year anniversary at being an *** to everyone that's not in your tiny little circle of friends. All hail you.

oumartin
11/4/2008, 02:32 PM
All hail tons of fun, all hail tons of fun.

Harry Beanbag
11/4/2008, 04:58 PM

Not possible, you didn't join until 6/21/05.

soonerhubs
11/4/2008, 05:11 PM
Back on topic. The solution= A three team round robin tourney played 3 days before the CCG. YWIA

EnragedOUfan
11/4/2008, 05:19 PM
Unbelievable. Seriously. Absolutely unbelievable. What are the requirements for the Heisman trophy now, anyways? Obviously stats do not matter. I guess what matters is the status quo, and it seems that Florida has it. Sam Bradford has twice as many TD's and yards but yet he's behind Tebow? Michael Crabtree ahead of Bradford? Come on man. Reading crap like this is seriously going to turn me away from college football, I hate to say it. This is ridiculous. You guys know that when Bradford beats Harrell, it still probably won't impress this jack *** and all of those horrible ESPN experts will not give Bradford the benefit of the doubt. Hell, Bradford and Co. could absolutely stomp the Red Raiders, but this jack *** will still have Tebow ahead of Bradford. Unbelievable...

BOOMER!!

stoopified
11/4/2008, 05:39 PM
Ut is barely ahead of us and have shot their wad big-game wise,all they have left is KU,OU has Top 10 BCS TT.oSu.Plus OU's non-con wins over TCU and Cincy can pay big dividends if they keep winning(TCU is #12 in BCS).In addition TCU could really boost OU if they beat Utah on Thursday.There is a lot of football left to be played,OU needs to take care of their busines and let all else get sorted out by the FOOTBALL GODS(Chris,Herbie and Lee?).

Ardmore_Sooner
11/4/2008, 05:41 PM
Divisional Tiebreakers: The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:

If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative
If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

The records of the three teams will be compared against each other
The records of the three teams will be compared within their division
The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of fi nish (4, 5 and 6)
The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents;
The highest ranked team in the fi rst Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative
The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative
The representative will be chosen by draw.

Crimson_Balls
11/4/2008, 05:41 PM
OU has a big test in Aggieland this weekend. One week at a time!

TexasLidig8r
11/4/2008, 06:39 PM
OU has a big test in Aggieland this weekend. One week at a time!

No you don't!

You're gonna bishslap, crush, humiliate and destroy sheep humpin' aggy.

There's a whole lot of football yet to be played.

What a fun year.

badger
11/4/2008, 06:42 PM
Heisman voters won't drop their ballots till some of the key games coming up.

EDIT: Oh wait, this is a DIFFERENT espn thread, tee hee. In THAT case...

1- Go away, whorn.

2- Whorns lose and everyone else rejoices mucho.

3- Whorns continue winning and suddenly the polls become more of a concern than they ever should be.

Crimson_Balls
11/4/2008, 07:02 PM
No you don't!

You're gonna bishslap, crush, humiliate and destroy sheep humpin' aggy.

There's a whole lot of football yet to be played.

What a fun year.

i hope you're right. we always struggle in sheep humpin country.

it is a great year!!