PDA

View Full Version : State of the GOP

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2008, 08:16 PM
This is just an excellent interview with Rep. Thad McCotter (R-MI). He articulates very well what the current problem with the GOP is, and he echoes a lot of the same concerns I have. His commentary on the party's internal struggle being between globalists and traditionalists is VERY poignant. Just a great article.

http://www.americasnewspaper.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=E03CF6CCB10E4F118A9100AA0F38F8D9

Republican rips Bush for caving on principles
By Stephen Dinan, The Washington Times
A Republican House leader said Oct. 29 that President Bush and his party’s congressional leadership caved on principles to help the top of their presidential ticket during the Wall Street bailout and that there could be a leadership purge if enough Republican lawmakers lose their seats on Nov. 4. Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, chairman of the House Republican Policy Committee, said Republicans need to immediately create better alternatives to Democrats’ policies and cannot assume that their party will automatically recapture lost seats in 2010 if Sen. Barack Obama is elected president this year. “That’s the first thing we’ve got to get out of their heads. That’s not how this works,” Mr. McCotter told editors and reporters at The Washington Times. “You will lose all the votes. What you will then do is craft an alternative that hits real people and frames the debate.”

Mr. McCotter, Michigan Republican, said Republicans expect to lose 10 to 30 House seats in the elections and that the final total likely will determine the fate of the party´s current leadership.

“No one knows what number could be a trigger,” he said.

“Everybody’s waiting for the number to know what is possible or not possible if they’re shooting at [House Minority Leader John A.] Boehner, if they’re shooting at [House Minority Whip Roy] Blunt, if they’re shooting at anyone. But they’re not going to be out there making calls, they’re going to wait until the number comes in.”

The 43-year-old congressman frequently referred to his roots, both as a Detroit native and an Irish Catholic, saying the latter explained why he’s not the sort to be optimistic about congressional Republicans’ chances in the elections.

He is in his first term as policy committee chairman, and said he hasn’t been approached by other members seeking his support to oust the current leaders, though he said as a “Boehner guy” — a supporter of the Ohio Republican — he isn’t likely to be told. If an effort is under way, he said, it will surface after the elections so they don’t appear to be putting their own prospects ahead of the party’s.

Asked whether anyone else is ready to take the leader’s role, Mr. McCotter was blunt: “There isn’t.”

He said Republicans under Mr. Boehner had a good year in 2007, buying time for the Iraq troop surge strategy to work and stopping expansion of government health care through the State Children’s Health Insurance Program. He said 2008 was going well as Republicans demanded offshore drilling — until the financial mess hit.

He said the economic crisis exposed the split in the Republican Party.

“We ran into the bailout. The bailout touched upon the larger discussion in the Republican Party,” he said. “It’s not the conservatives versus the moderates, that’s the rather cliched way of looking at it. What you really have are globalists versus traditionalists. Globalists tend to view America as an economy, not a country. The traditionalists tend to view it as a country — a very delicate microcosm, a collection of individuals with different hopes, dreams, aspirations.”

Republican leaders in the House led many, though not a majority, of House Republicans in backing the bailout. Mr. McCotter said that was putting politics over principle.

“Unfortunately, many of the people in the House seemed to think our overarching goal was, as it was with President Bush, to support the top of the ticket, the nominal leader of the party, as opposed to worry about what happened to our members,” he said.

He said aside from policy mistakes, such as turning over so much power to the Treasury secretary, the bailout also served to derail what had looked like a promising message for Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain because it shifted the election from a forward-looking question of options to a backward-looking referendum on Mr. Bush.

“When the bailout was passed it became eight years of deregulation, or whatever the Democrats are saying, and McCain supported the administration in what was the most watched and salient economic issue to Americans heading into this election,” Mr. McCotter said. “He couldn’t have taken a branding iron and put it on his forehead any better. That then, even if you voted against the bailout, that attached to you because your base Republicans and independents — independents actually hated it more than Republicans — started to deflate, and it became a referendum election.”

Still, he said, the fact that most House Republicans opposed the bailout gives him hope. Mr. McCotter voted against the bailout.

“A majority of the House Republicans voted against that thing twice. Twice. So I think that gives us hope for the future, although not the immediate future,” he said.

Mr. McCotter said rather than “compassionate conservative,” Mr. Bush’s administration has been defined by a globalist view.

“It tended to divorce itself from the average working people. It did not challenge the American people sufficiently. The Congress became, in many ways, the rubber stamp for this administration,” he said. “It was not a separate equal branch of government that hurt us in 2006 and it continued to hurt us as the bailout progressed.”

Another legacy is that Republicans have become politically “atrophied.”

“Fundamentally bedrock politics, we are very bad at — just very bad. It’s atrophied. It atrophied in what was called the permanent majority,” he said.

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 08:21 PM
I don't think I'm gonna read that entire thing, but if it says Bush ****ed up the Republican party I agree.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/3/2008, 08:23 PM
I'm as concerned about the GOP as you are, at least. But, I am more concerned that our country doesn't turn to complete hammered shi*, for as long as I have any say in preventing that. So, I'm voting anti-Obama, by making the only logical choice of McCain-Palin TUESDAY=ELECTION DAY!

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2008, 08:24 PM
I'm as concerned about the GOP as you are, at least. But, I am more concerned that our country doesn't turn to complete hammered shi*, for as long as I have any say in preventing that. So, I'm voting anti-Obama, by making the only logical choice of McCain-Palin TUESDAY=ELECTION DAY!

This article wasn't so much about the election as it is the state of conservatism within the Republican party.

TUSooner
11/3/2008, 08:40 PM
The GOP will RAWK as soon as it quits accepting fundamentalist, literalist Christian theology as sound social policy. A gubment that does a few things but gets them right will be the love of all responsible "Mericans.

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2008, 08:43 PM
The GOP will RAWK as soon as it quits accepting fundamentalist, literalist Christian theology as sound social policy. A gubment that does a few things but gets them right will be the love of all responsible "Mericans.

You are correct. There are other elements that need to be purged as well though. The globalists/neo-cons need to be thrown out along with the fundamentalist Christians. I would emphasize the word few though.

tommieharris91
11/3/2008, 09:56 PM
If the Republicans always run on small government and fiscal responsibility, why do they constantly run up huge deficits while in office? This kind of thinking doesn't help the US economy, and it is probably the most obvious two-faced ideal that anyone who is not a Republican can attack.

GrapevineSooner
11/3/2008, 09:59 PM
If the Republicans always run on small government and fiscal responsibility, why do they constantly run up huge deficits while in office? This kind of thinking doesn't help the US economy, and it is probably the most obvious two-faced ideal that anyone who is not a Republican can attack.

Well...yeah. :O :mad:

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2008, 10:01 PM
If the Republicans always run on small government and fiscal responsibility, why do they constantly run up huge deficits while in office?
Because they're pandering and corrupt. It's criminal to run up deficits as high as the Republican party has. There's no excuse for it.

This kind of thinking doesn't help the US economy, and it is probably the most obvious two-faced ideal that anyone who is not a Republican can attack.

Yeah, I agree.

tommieharris91
11/3/2008, 10:02 PM
Because they're pandering and corrupt. It's criminal to run up deficits as high as the Republican party has. There's no excuse for it.

Even Reagan did it.

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2008, 10:08 PM
Even Reagan did it.

Yes he did, but there's something of a difference with Reagan. I'm not excusing deficit spending, but his deficit spending was almost entirely military related.

First, military spending (if spent responsibly of course) is a legitimate expense by the Federal government. Unconstitutional Federal programs and entitlements are not.

Second, the military spending likely led to the early demise of the Soviet Union which allowed us to safely cut defense spending in the 90s and helped give Clinton his budget surplus.

Third, the military in the early 80's was in desperate need of modernization. There's absolutely no way we could have fulfilled our national security commitments since then if Reagan hadn't modernized the military. I can't think of any major weapon system that wasn't created or funded during the 80s.

Fourth, spending money on a stealth bomber is sooo much cooler than making sure Shanequia gets her welfare check on the first of the month.

VeeJay
11/3/2008, 11:16 PM
I don't think I'm gonna read that entire thing, but if it says Bush ****ed up the Republican party I agree.

I agree. Shrub done took the elephant out in the pasture, shot it in the head and left the bloated corpse for the buzzards to pick over.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/4/2008, 12:36 AM
I agree. Shrub done took the elephant out in the pasture, shot it in the head and left the bloated corpse for the buzzards to pick over.So, pout and vote for Obama, or Barr, "just to show the GOP"?

soonerscuba
11/4/2008, 12:57 AM
I remember how the Democratic Party was done after the '02 midterms and declared this time 4 years ago. A lot can change in a few years, and I am sure that the Republicans will be back. That said, their message as it currently is perceived focuses on white, rural voters, which by pure demographics is a losing battle, they need a rebranding and a new debate. A debate that I'm sure a Democratic WH and Congress will probably give them, the Dems are still Dems and will do something monumentally stupid given too much power.

VeeJay
11/4/2008, 01:14 PM
So, pout and vote for Obama, or Barr, "just to show the GOP"?

Is there anyone remaining in the "GOP" to show anything to?

Conservatives are still very much alive. Thanks to Shrub, the Republican Party is dead in the water. You should know that.

1890MilesToNorman
11/4/2008, 01:18 PM
The GOP has moved way far left for my consideration, I have been left without a party. Conservatives are still alive and well, we just don't have any representation.

Veritas
11/4/2008, 01:25 PM
The GOP has gone right on all the wrong things ("moral" issues) and left on the wrong things (fiscal and foreign policy).

They've pandered to the religious right to get votes and have at the same time tried to win over so-called moderates with Rooseveltian social policies. What a cluster ****.

I've been an independent since before the 2004 election and it doesn't look like that'll be changing anytime soon.

Scott D
11/4/2008, 01:44 PM
The GOP has gone right on all the wrong things ("moral" issues) and left on the wrong things (fiscal and foreign policy).

They've pandered to the religious right to get votes and have at the same time tried to win over so-called moderates with Rooseveltian social policies. What a cluster ****.

I've been an independent since before the 2004 election and it doesn't look like that'll be changing anytime soon.

that's why some of us have been independent since the day we registered to vote at 18 ;)

LosAngelesSooner
11/5/2008, 05:02 AM
Fourth, spending money on a stealth bomber is sooo much cooler than making sure Shanequia gets her welfare check on the first of the month.You obviously need to watch more "Bootie Poppin" videos. ;)

Fraggle145
11/5/2008, 05:26 AM
Even Reagan did it.

I would say at least he had "something" to show for it, as opposed to bush...

TUSooner
11/5/2008, 11:49 AM

Typical example of why the GOP is foundering: It offers little to be "for" and instead stokes fear and urges voters to be "anti" the other guys.