PDA

View Full Version : It is what it is...

44BluesExplosion
11/3/2008, 03:40 PM
It's hard not to look at the polls and figure the figuring... How can the cards draw to get us into the Big 12 championship... the national championship. I've done it a little and don't really like the prospects. And you know what? It's our own damn fault. Beat Texas.

It's heart breaking too. During the Texas game, I got the impression that we are a better team than Texas from a talent perspective, from a coaching perspective, and maybe even a scheme perspective... But I also had a feeling we were going to lose that game during the second half.

It's not the offense. In fact, like most, I believe we currently have the best offense in the country and possibly the best offense we've had during the Stoops tenure. It's a glorious thing to watch.

And that it makes it all the more heart breaking to realize our defense is what it is. I know a ton of guys are putting this on BV's shoulders. I know some think it's scheme. I know some think it's talent.

I personally don't think it is those specifics. I think we have a ton of talent on the defensive side - we can run and we are certainly athletic. Nor do I think it's coaching. BV is young, but he has had success and I personally think he knows how to coach a defense. Also, don't forget Stoop's roll on that side of the ball... He is a great defensive mind and is very proactive in practice and during the game. Our kids are coached up.

In my eyes, our problems lie with something that isn't entirely coachable or scoutable. I don't think we have those one or two guys that take the responsibility of the defensive performance on their own shoulders and demand that their fellow players perform up to their potential.

It's one thing to fear a coaches reaction to failed focus... It's entirely different and more effective to fear the reaction of your buddy playing right beside you.

To me, our defense lacks personality and leadership.

Last week, a freshman began to take a challenge made by his coaches a little more personally. As a freshman, he didn't have the fortitude to really stand up in meetings, in practice, etc... Last week, he lost his daughter. I think that tragedy gave him perspective. He stepped up in a big way and as I understand it, he is beginning to see his roll as a leader on this team.

Our defense is going to turn a corner and they will have Travis Lewis to thank for it.

I wouldn't want to be on offense for Texas A&M this weekend.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 03:43 PM
N Harris has a hell of a November in front of him.

Dan Thompson
11/3/2008, 06:42 PM
If we had pulled up the two safetys like TT did, I don't think we would have lost.