PDA

View Full Version : Big12, MWC, WAC & C-USA to Combine Officials

PalmBeachSooner
11/3/2008, 02:34 PM
I posted this on the pay-per-view board and thought I'd share it with this group.

For those of you complaining about biased officials you might be happy to know that there are conferences who are taking a proactive approach to change this perception. I am a HS football official in Utah so I know a couple of MWC officials who shared this with me. You can find it on their website.

Beginning with the 2008 season, the officiating rosters of the Mountain West Conference and the Western Athletic Conference will be merged. This will result in a total of 10 crews. The Big 12 Conference officiating roster will be incorporated beginning with the 2009 season, thus establishing a single roster of officials to be utilized among the three conferences in a regional concept. All the officials will receive the same training, understand the same philosophies and utilize the same mechanics.

I don't know if this classified or not but for those of you curious a MWC official makes $1200 per game but all of their travel expenses are paid for. A Big 12 official makes $1800 per game but makes their own travel arrangements.

http://themwc.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mwc-08-m-footbl-officiating.html

HateTheWhorns
11/3/2008, 04:04 PM
PBS,

You are correct. One of my college roommates is a MWC official and he shared the same information with me (except he did not mention which conferences would be participating). He stated that within a few years you should see officials around the country become unaffiliated with specific conferences and work as units covering games within their geographic regions. I like the idea except for the greater probability of refs calling games for their alma maters.

cjames317
11/3/2008, 04:21 PM
How long does an officiating crew stay together?

PalmBeachSooner
11/3/2008, 08:54 PM

Not all conferences have set crews. We all know that the Pac-10 does and I believe the SEC does as well. I'm not sure about the Big 12 but beginning in 2009 they will conform to what that regional officiating association is doing, which is NO set crews.

However, other conferences rank you based on your position (umpire, referee, etc.) and you are assigned to games based on where you rank within your peer group. Usually, the top ranked officials are assigned to the high profile games. I know you guys complain a lot about the officials but whether the Big 12 uses crews or a merit system, the OU Texas game had the best Big 12 officials for that game...believe it or not.

PalmBeachSooner
11/3/2008, 08:55 PM

Not all conferences have set crews. We all know that the Pac-10 does and I believe the SEC does as well. I'm not sure about the Big 12 but beginning in 2009 they will conform to what that regional officiating association is doing, which is NO set crews.

However, other conferences rank you based on your position (umpire, referee, etc.) and you are assigned to games based on where you rank within your peer group. Usually, the top ranked officials are assigned to the high profile games.

I know you guys complain a lot about the officials but whether the Big 12 uses crews or a merit system, the OU Texas game had the best Big 12 officials for that game...believe it or not.

kevpks
11/4/2008, 12:51 AM
I just hate to subject the rest of the country to John Bible's incompetence.

Flagstaffsooner
11/4/2008, 12:40 PM
I just hate to subject the rest of the country to John Bible's incompetence.or ut bias.