PDA

View Full Version : Auston English Out For 2 Games

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 02:11 PM
11/3/2008

"Oklahoma has lost another one of its top defensive players.

A month after linebacker Ryan Reynolds suffered a season-ending knee injury, defensive end Auston English apparently has been lost for the rest of the regular season, coach Bob Stoops said Monday morning on the Big 12 football coaches' teleconference.

English sprained his knee during the third quarter of Saturday night's win over Nebraska, and "we're thinking his injury is going to be maybe three weeks."

Oklahoma has three games remaining, including matchups against second-ranked Texas Tech and eighth-ranked Oklahoma State. Stoops said freshman Frank Alexander would replace English for all three games and has played well in recent weeks.

"Frank Alexander, who will get those snaps three games in a row, actually this past week was one of our players of the game on defense," Stoops said. "... Frank has played great for us."

Alexander missed five games with an injury suffered during a late-night altercation at a party Aug. 31. He was slashed in the arm and required hospitalization for a cut that severed muscle. Since then, he's returned to the lineup and played four games and has 2.5 sacks. He's forced a fumble and recovered a fumble.

English, a junior, was the Big 12's preseason defensive player of the year. He had 27 tackles, including 4.5 sacks, in OU's nine games this season.

"We're disappointed for Auston of course," Stoops said. "He's been a great leader for us. Tough player. Excellent player."

The Sooners play Saturday at Texas A&M. After an off week, OU plays Texas Tech on Nov. 22 and closes the season Nov. 29 at Oklahoma State."

Do we pull R.J's redshirt to make a run for the NC?

I fully expect Frank Alexander to take his spot and do a great job.

The Maestro
11/3/2008, 02:13 PM
Frank is fine. No pulling of redshirts.

OklahomaTuba
11/3/2008, 02:15 PM
Perfect.

Figures we would lose a key player on D playing against a ****tay nobody team.

humblesooner
11/3/2008, 02:15 PM
I initially read that he would miss the A&M game and the TT game. With a bye week in there, that would be three weeks.
But, the quote says that Alexander will start the three games, which will cover 4 weeks.
Hope he makes a remarkable recovery and is back in time for TT and OSU.

Widescreen
11/3/2008, 02:19 PM
Perfect.

Figures we would lose a key player on D playing against a ****tay nobody team.

Well yeah. He went down against aTm last year.

BillyBall
11/3/2008, 02:25 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- Defensive end Auston English could miss the next two games for sixth-ranked Oklahoma after injuring his left leg.

Sooners coach Bob Stoops said Monday that English could be out "maybe three weeks" with the injury that knocked him out in the third quarter of Oklahoma's 62-28 win against Nebraska on Saturday. The Sooners (8-1, 4-1 Big 12) play at Texas A&M this week, then host No. 2 Texas Tech next week before getting a week off.

Their season finale is Nov. 29 at Oklahoma State (No. 9 BCS, No. 8 AP).

English was chosen as the Big 12's preseason defensive player of the year after leading the conference in sacks last season. He has 4½ sacks and 27 tackles through nine games for the Sooners this season.

"We're disappointed for Auston, of course. He's been a great leader for us, an excellent player. He had an excellent game the other night," Stoops said.

"But you have to go on. And I'll say this: Frank Alexander, who will get those snaps, actually this past week was one of our players of the game on defense."

BillyBall
11/3/2008, 02:26 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- Defensive end Auston English could miss the next two games for sixth-ranked Oklahoma after injuring his left leg.

Sooners coach Bob Stoops said Monday that English could be out "maybe three weeks" with the injury that knocked him out in the third quarter of Oklahoma's 62-28 win against Nebraska on Saturday. The Sooners (8-1, 4-1 Big 12) play at Texas A&M this week, then host No. 2 Texas Tech next week before getting a week off.

Their season finale is Nov. 29 at Oklahoma State (No. 9 BCS, No. 8 AP).

English was chosen as the Big 12's preseason defensive player of the year after leading the conference in sacks last season. He has 4˝ sacks and 27 tackles through nine games for the Sooners this season.

"We're disappointed for Auston, of course. He's been a great leader for us, an excellent player. He had an excellent game the other night," Stoops said.

"But you have to go on. And I'll say this: Frank Alexander, who will get those snaps, actually this past week was one of our players of the game on defense."

So do we have a definitive answer?

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 02:40 PM
So do we have a definitive answer?

I guess not.

The title said he would be done for the year, it does say two day's though.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 02:46 PM
Shoot he should be back for bowl games?

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 02:49 PM
Shoot he should be back for bowl games?

Yes, he might be back for the last two also.

I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Stoops said 3 weeks, so take that for what it's worth, but remember we have a off week.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 02:52 PM
I say the just do not answer questions about him. We should be dicks for once.

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 02:54 PM
I say the just do not answer questions about him. We should be dicks for once.

:confused:

rainiersooner
11/3/2008, 02:54 PM
Well I guess the good news is that we all suspected that our offense is going to have to win those games for us anyway. Now, it's confirmed!

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 02:55 PM
Well I guess the good news is that we all suspected that our offense is going to have to win those games for us anyway. Now, it's confirmed!

I think Frank can play as good as Austin from what I have seen from his limited playing time.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 02:56 PM
:confused:

If Stoops is asked about him, he should just say no comment, couldn't hurt.

bri
11/3/2008, 02:57 PM
Which means our offense is still gonna have to win those games for us. :D

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 02:58 PM
I think Gram struggles with all them sooners yelling at him.

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 02:58 PM
If Stoops is asked about him, he should just say no comment, couldn't hurt.

That would probably be for the best, but I like to hear even a estimate on how long a player is out just to get an idea.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 02:59 PM
Ditto, but hopefully he will have a 2nd half coming out party against tech.

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 02:59 PM
I think Gram struggles with all them sooners yelling at him.

I think we beat Tech at home, no question.

If we played them at Tech, they would have a good chance at beating us.

Let's pray for an injury free game against A&M.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 03:01 PM
If we get up big at half against the aggies, do we take the starters out? Even tho we have a week off next week?

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 03:03 PM
If we get up big at half against the aggies, do we take the starters out? Even tho we have a week off next week?

Depends on how much the lead is.

I don't think we are going to win by that much though.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 03:04 PM
Ya games are always close there. who knows

TMcGee86
11/3/2008, 03:05 PM
I still say burn the redshirt.

But that's just me, I'm crazy like that.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 03:07 PM
haha, its going to be his first college game ever............ idk

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 03:08 PM
I still say burn the redshirt.

But that's just me, I'm crazy like that.

I agree with you.

If Alexander doesn't work, burn it.

His redshirt isn't worth a not making it to a NC.

SouthFortySooner
11/3/2008, 04:09 PM
Did I miss something? Is R.J. doing well at this point? This guy Alexander has "player of the game" quotes about him? :confused:

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/3/2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah but Player of the Game for a Venable's defense is like winning the 100 Meters in the Special Olympics ;) No offense to the Special Olympics athletes who are much better coached than our players ;)

stoopified
11/3/2008, 04:18 PM
We still have 3 DEs in the rotation-Beal,Alexander, and Davis.I don't see Bob pulling Washington's redshirt(barring another injury).

starclassic tama
11/3/2008, 04:28 PM
auston*

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 04:50 PM
auston*

*n00b

adoniijahsooner
11/3/2008, 06:46 PM
Alexander looks really good from what I have seen. If I am not mistaken he made plays last week against K-State as well.

SouthFortySooner
11/3/2008, 07:37 PM
WHY PULL HIS REDSHIRT NOW? Does someone anyone know if he is ready? Or... are we basing putting him in the game to win a National Championship based on what his hometown newspaper said about him a couple years ago? :confused:

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 07:47 PM
WHY PULL HIS REDSHIRT NOW? Does someone anyone know if he is ready? Or... are we basing putting him in the game to win a National Championship based on what his hometown newspaper said about him a couple years ago? :confused:

#1 DE in the nation.

Looked amazing in drills.

So no I am not basing it on what a newspaper said.

:rolleyes:

SouthFortySooner
11/3/2008, 08:01 PM
Looked amazing in drills.

This is what I'm talkin about. Now I say wonderful, put him in. :)

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 08:45 PM
Don't pull the RS, just wait and play it quarter by quarter. Don't get me wrong he was a 5 star recruit and is probably better then some of our active defensive ends (backups). But remember the kid is only 18 years old. Never played a college down. I think Stoops will play it by series.

OUinFLA
11/3/2008, 09:00 PM
Sooners coach Bob Stoops said Monday that English could be out "maybe three weeks" with the injury that knocked him out in the third quarter ."

Stoops-speak for "he's on his death bed"

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 09:06 PM
Dan Cody got 1 game left

TMcGee86
11/3/2008, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't be for it if Stoops hadn't already been hinting at doing it earlier this year. That tells me he's ready. Plus I just think a redshirt is useless with high demand positions like DE's. We'll be lucky to get three years out of him, why waste the first one with him on the bench?

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 09:32 PM
So he will be a developed RS Fr. ? i guess..

If he stays redshirted, he will play his RS Fr year, soph, and jr. at least.

He will be more developed

look what we are getting out of Travis Lewis this year, RS fr.

TMcGee86
11/3/2008, 09:37 PM
So he will be a developed RS Fr. ? i guess..

If he stays redshirted, he will play his RS Fr year, soph, and jr. at least.

He will be more developed

look what we are getting out of Travis Lewis this year, RS fr.

Well, you hope he stays for his jr. year if he redshirts, but that's no guarantee if he is a stud.

And yeah, all things considered, I'm in favor of redshirting and letting guys develop, if guys were forced to play four years I would always be for it.

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 09:37 PM
No way I'd take the shirt off of RJ at this point.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 09:38 PM
Well, you hope he stays for his jr. year if he redshirts, but that's no guarantee if he is a stud.

And yeah, all things considered, I'm in favor of redshirting and letting guys develop, if guys were forced to play four years I would always be for it.

yah I'd keep the RS.

How many Redshirt Sophomore sooners have entered the NFL draft? he wont

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 09:39 PM
No way I'd take the shirt off of RJ at this point.

If it would help us get to the NC, then why not?

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 09:41 PM

I personally don't think he would be a huge impact. But if you are going to pull his RS, do it this weekend, so he will be ready to pass rush against tech.

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 09:42 PM
I personally don't think he would be a huge impact. But if you are going to pull his RS, do it this weekend, so he will be ready to pass rush against tech.

I was going to say that if Alexander can play as good as English then don't pull it.

I think he can.

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 09:42 PM

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts....

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 09:43 PM
If ifs and buts were candy and nutts....

:mad:

:D

aurorasooner
11/3/2008, 10:30 PM
I bet Bob feels real sorry for Mack.
“We’re banged up,” Texas coach Mack Brown said Monday. Texas lost receiver Quan Cosby, end Brian Orakpo and tackle Roy Miller at various points during the loss at Texas Tech. Miller was able to return later in the game, while the status for Orakpo and Cosby remains uncertain.

“Some will not play this week,” Brown said. “A lot won’t practice this week.”

He didn’t clarify the status of any individual players. Welcome to the party, Mack. As far as AE goes, that's a big deal imo. We're going to need all the fresh DL we can get for the game to keep the pressure on Harrell. Next week we need to get out of College Station injury free.

sooner59
11/3/2008, 10:36 PM
I think we would be better with English in the lineup, but I think our backup ends can play ball, so I think we can make it work. I just hope im right. Get well soon Auston.

Widescreen
11/3/2008, 10:37 PM
I bet Bob feels real sorry for Mack. Welcome to the party, Mack. As far as AE goes, that's a big deal imo. We're going to need all the fresh DL we can get for the game to keep the pressure on Harrell.

It won't matter. Those super awesome OL splits have been known to cause injury just by looking at them. We don't have a prayer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2255/1766511168_8469543d0b.jpg