PDA

View Full Version : So Long, Phil Fulmer

SoonerStormchaser
11/3/2008, 11:13 AM
He's gonna quit!

Phillip Fulmer, who a decade ago brought Tennessee its first national championship in 47 years, will not return as the Vols' coach next year, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

An announcement is being planned for later Monday at Neyland Stadium. The Vols (3-6, 1-5 SEC) have lost four straight games and are in danger of suffering their second losing season in the last four years.

Fulmer, who's won 150 games at his alma mater and is the dean of SEC coaches, met with Tennessee officials Monday morning, and they reached a mutual agreement that it would be best for all parties if Fulmer was not back next season.

There had been increasing scrutiny on Fulmer, who took over full time as head coach in 1993 and has been at his alma mater as a player, assistant coach and head coach for more than 30 years.

The Vols won the national title in 1998 and were one of the top programs in all of college football in the 1990s, but the program hasn't been the same this decade. They've lost 31 games since the end of the 2001 season.

Boomer.....
11/3/2008, 11:18 AM
Something needs to change there. They are just flat out bad.

royalfan5
11/3/2008, 11:21 AM
Somewhere, Johnny Majors is laughing his *** off.

BudSooner
11/3/2008, 11:28 AM
So, how long before he takes a job at another SEC school?

primetime43
11/3/2008, 11:33 AM
I wander if Muschamp will go? Don't we have a contract with Tennessee in the future?

badger
11/3/2008, 12:05 PM
He likely got fired... much like Ty Willingham out in apple country... well, looks like there's more spek to be distributed!

SelmaBamaFan
11/3/2008, 12:09 PM
Somewhere, Johnny Majors is laughing his *** off.

heh

47straight
11/3/2008, 12:11 PM
Please don't take Todd Graham.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 12:12 PM
well guess Muschamp will get the job there, instead of Clemson.

SelmaBamaFan
11/3/2008, 12:17 PM
From what I've read Tennessee is going after a 'proven head coach', not an assistant. So that leaves... errr I have no idea who they'd be going after under those terms.

I guess since this board has to have a "Stoops to <enter random team here>" every off season, I'm guessing it will be Tennessee this year?

Flagstaffsooner
11/3/2008, 12:19 PM
Oooh gawd@ What will happen to the Fulmer cup?

SoonerDood
11/3/2008, 12:26 PM
Oooh gawd@ What will happen to the Fulmer cup?

I imagine they can keep the name. Lombardi isn't coaching anymore, but they still give away the Trophy.

badger
11/3/2008, 12:30 PM
From what I've read Tennessee is going after a 'proven head coach', not an assistant.

This just in... DENNIS FRAN FRAN TO ROCKY TOP! :D

:rolleyes:

Lott's Bandana
11/3/2008, 12:34 PM
If I were the Tenn peeps, I'd begin to look for someone with the spread background. The time is ripe in the SEC to jump on the offensive bandwagon and snuff these old school defenses, somewhat like Florida has done. Bring in a HC and OC with that pedigree and find a DC to find a solution.

This might be a job that Petersen takes, leaving the anklebiting Bluefielders.

That guy would do well in Knoxville, IMHO.

OklahomaTuba
11/3/2008, 02:12 PM
Todd Graham???

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 02:51 PM
You know what is funny. Tennessee won the East last year

BamaSon25
11/3/2008, 03:14 PM
Just to give you guys what I am hearing down here... I'm hearing Bobby Johnson to Clemson and Muschamp to Vandy. Seeing as how Clemson is Johnson's Alma mater, this kind of makes sense.

As for Phillbilly's replacement... I'm hearing Lane Kiffin, John Gruden and Butch Davis as possible replacements. If it ends up being Davis (which I doubt), look for Tubberville to make a play for the North Carolina job. Then again, this day and age, who knows? Ut may hire Bellechick. :)

As for Stoops leaving you guys this year. I haven't even heard his name on a wish list for any of the potential openings in the SEC. So, I guess you will have to look to the Big 10 this year for those rumors. :)

Roll Tide Roll and Boomer Sooner!!!
BamaSon25

TMcGee86
11/3/2008, 03:18 PM
Why would Gruden take a college job?

Was he a college coach originally?

BamaSon25
11/3/2008, 03:23 PM
Why would Gruden take a college job?

Was he a college coach originally?

I have found myself asking that same question. I do not think he has ever coached on the college level, but I'm not sure. My understanding is that he is on a warm (if not hot) seat down in Tampa. I know this to be fact. As for him being the next coach at UT... I don't know. I just keep hearing his name pop up in reference to that job.

Roll Tide Roll & Boomer Sooner!!!
BamaSon25

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 03:23 PM
Why would Stoops leave Oklahoma

BamaSon25
11/3/2008, 03:28 PM
Why would Stoops leave Oklahoma

I was just making light of another poster in this thread who mentioned Stoops as being rumored to be the next head Coach at UT. I don't see Stoops going anywhere.

Roll Tide Roll & Boomer Sooner
BamaSon25

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 03:30 PM
I hear ya, where if any college would you see him going ? If you had to take a wild guess.

BamaSon25
11/3/2008, 03:35 PM
I don't see Stoops leaving OU on his own for any other school. If he keeps producing for the Sooners, he will be there as long as he wants. I could see him getting bitten by the allure of the pros though. A'la Coach Saban. I'm sure that eventually some pro team will throw down some big bucks and he will have a decision to make. The thing is, Saban thought that he wanted to do it and obviously missed the college ranks. Some coaches just can't deal with players that they cannot control. I think it is safe to say that Saban is a control freak. Stoops falls into that same category in my opinion. I don't think he wants to head to the NFL myself and I would highly recommend him to give Saban a call if he ever entertained the idea.

Roll Tide Roll & Boomer Sooner!!!

BamaSon25

sooneron
11/3/2008, 03:51 PM
Gruden has never coached at the college ranks. It won't be him.
Offensive mind, eh?

http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/Mike%20Leach%20111607.jpg

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 03:59 PM
Leach is going to leave eventually

I wouldn't be surprised if he left after this year.

but then again, the program just got good. then again, they lose a lot next year.

BamaSon25
11/3/2008, 04:02 PM
I spoke too soon on no "Stoops for a job in the SEC" thing. Leave it to the Vols...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1372&t=3312426

They seem to think Gruden is their number one target, but many of those guys throw Stoops name in. Wishful thinking if you ask me. I think it will be one of the 3 I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I don't think it will be Leach. The main reason I say that is that most SEC people see him as a little crazy. He may not be and I'm not trying to say anything bad about the guy, I'm just saying that most people in the SEC think he is a loose cannon. But, then again, what do I know?

Roll Tide Roll & Boomer Sooner

BamaSon25

TMcGee86
11/3/2008, 04:38 PM
Mangino maybe?

It would ease the visual transition on teh sidelines. :)

OUmillenium
11/3/2008, 05:05 PM
I was going to go with possibility of Leach or Mangino and just like the previous posters.

Future offensive coordinators and head coaches...Major Applewhite and Josh Heupel.

OUmillenium
11/3/2008, 05:06 PM
Mangino maybe?

It would increase the indentation on the sidelines. :)

fixed

Rogue
11/3/2008, 05:50 PM
Linkage (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810)

In a tearful presser, Phil says he'll stay on through the season.
UT is naming the Kentucky game Philip Fulmer day.
Nothing else on the radio today here in TN.

Maybe we can recruit those Tulsa kids now.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2008, 05:52 PM
Decommit, David Oku!

Rogue
11/3/2008, 07:02 PM
I'd like to see the VOLS get competitive again in the SEC.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/3/2008, 07:08 PM
Linkage (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810)

Maybe we can recruit those Tulsa kids now.No kidding, and Oku. Did we recruit Oku?(I saw a video, and he is truly slippery)

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 08:01 PM
Can't believe none of you have thrown Venable's name out there for the Tenn. job. :D

Jacie
11/3/2008, 08:25 PM
Fulmer's long fall from graces:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday

Fulmer was very good at pulling out quasi-shocking seasons, even after the 1998 championship run -- the Vols' East Division titles in 2001, 2004 and 2007 were all surprises, and that's really the problem: while UT has continued to peak over the last ten years, those peaks haven't been as high, while the valleys have become more frequent and more depressing. Since '99, Tennessee's been favored to win the SEC East -- not the conference, just the division -- only once, in 2005, the year it collapsed and missed a bowl game (uh, the first year it collapsed and missed a bowl game). Year to year, it seems like there's not much consistency either way, but the overall trend since '98 is progressively, steadily down.

AlbqSooner
11/3/2008, 08:32 PM
Stoops falls into that same category in my opinion. I don't think he wants to head to the NFL myself and I would highly recommend him to give Saban a call if he ever entertained the idea.

I believe he has already had that discussion with Steve Spurrier.

Leach is a little crazy and a bit of a loose cannon, but that is actually a good thing. He puts a hell of an offense on the field.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 08:49 PM
The NFL is really overrated when comparing it to College Football, coaching wise. You can make just as good as money in college. Have kids playing for heart and not money.

Not enough Ray Lewis type players in the NFL

"Pay me Monday through Saturday, and Sunday you get me for free"

Johnny Utah
11/3/2008, 09:07 PM
Unless the money differential is just obscene why would a Davis leave UNC or a Mangino leave KU, where BB rules. It appears that as long as you put up a respectable record and run a clean program you'd have a great job for life, which is pretty rare in DI football.

goingoneight
11/3/2008, 09:21 PM
[hairGel] would just like to say he has no intentions to leave Agua De La Stool.

Rogue
11/3/2008, 09:40 PM
Gruden and Spurrier are always thrown around here because of their Tennessee ties. Same with Cutcliffe.

Names I keep hearing lately are Muschamp, Leach (only 1/2 as crazy as Les), and the guy at Vandy.

muschampforut.wordpress.com/why-muschamp/

If I'm looking for an offensive minded coach I look at 2.
Kevin Wilson and Norm Chow. And Chow 1st.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 09:44 PM
The SEC would not allow Leach to join Tennessee, he passes to much.

Sabanball
11/3/2008, 09:45 PM
Leach will get a SERIOUS look, imo. Compared to what he's accomplished he's vastly underpaid and has HC experience and has been successful/exceeded expectations at a school with limited resources, something UT AD Mike Hamilton will be looking for.

tulsaoilerfan
11/3/2008, 10:24 PM
Gruden has never coached at the college ranks. It won't be him.
Offensive mind, eh?

http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/Mike%20Leach%20111607.jpg

That's just what i was thinking also

SoonerStormchaser
11/3/2008, 10:28 PM
Leach would be an IDIOT for taking Tennessee. He can hold out for just a bit longer and be the top dog in another conference (Washington, a Big Eleven school) and not a middle dog in a power conference like he is now.

Mr. Poon
11/4/2008, 12:05 AM
Leach would be an IDIOT for taking Tennessee. He can hold out for just a bit longer and be the top dog in another conference (Washington, a Big Eleven school) and not a middle dog in a power conference like he is now.

Don't understand that logic. I know the SEC has big name coaches, but he could be top dog there too if he wins at Tennessee. They have the budget, facilities and football reputation to get back to a top team in the SEC. The only Big Televen schools that have a similar tradition are Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

royalfan5
11/4/2008, 12:35 AM
Leach and Bruce Pearl would be a whole lot of crazy at one school. It might **** up the earth's orbit or something.

Rogue
11/29/2008, 07:37 AM
Looks like it's Lane Kiffin (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3731656)

Rogue
11/29/2008, 03:21 PM
This may be a huge mistake.
Unless he hires amazing coordinators. Chow woulda been a better hire.