PDA

View Full Version : Something that may be overlooked...

boomersooner2001
11/3/2008, 11:05 AM
When people moan and groan about the defensive performances this year, and I have been one of them, we all have to remember that 6 to 7 players that either start or get huge chunks of playing time are still young. I just looked at OUr roster and noticed this, and if I remember right, one of the commentators during the game mentioned it as well. Because of the youth on defense is why I think we keep seeing improvement every week. The more comfortable these guys get the better OUr defense will be.

DE - Beal Soph.
DE - Alexander RS Fr.
DE - Taylor Soph.
DT - McCoy Soph.
LB - Box RS Fr.
LB - Lewis RS Fr.
CB - Franks Soph.

oumartin
11/3/2008, 11:08 AM
Strait was a Frosh,
Thompson was a Frosh,

People forget what a great player Michael Thompson was that NC year.

boomersooner2001
11/3/2008, 11:11 AM
Strait was a Frosh,
Thompson was a Frosh,

People forget what a great player Michael Thompson was that NC year.

True, but the rest of the guys were older and more experienced to help em' out.

oumartin
11/3/2008, 11:15 AM
yes, but that is a very young secondary.

and none of those guys were used to winning.

To me its simple.
Its time to change up the scheme a bit. Its a defense that the offenses across the country know how to exploit.

If you listened to Macks post game against Tech even. He thought Tech would play zone and they could do the 5 yard passes all the way down the field the entire night.. Tech moved up and started checking the recievers at the line.. That subtle difference threw the timing completely off and look at the results.

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2008, 11:23 AM
We have had some individual bright spots on D.
McCoy has been a monster as expected.
Beal and Lewis are real play makers
Clayton has been reliable
Reynold's play was at a much higher level than expected while we had him (sob)
The entire line has been solid as expected

boomersooner2001
11/3/2008, 11:25 AM
I totally agree with you. I've been posting that since I've been a member on this site. I would like to see the schemes adjusted also. I believe we did some Saturday, I noticed the CBs playing tight on the receivers and not giving the 5 yard or so cushion that they normally do.

Basically the point of my post is that as these kids get more experience the speed of the game will start to slow down, and it will be easier for them to see the entire field and where each guy needs to be, whether it be covering the a zone or playing man. We, as sooner fans, expect whoever steps out on that field to be all americans on every play, and in reality that is nearly impossible. Yes, schemes and defensive X's and O's can and need to be adjusted IMO, but the intensity I saw out of these guys on Saturday is something that can't be coached. As long as the guys play with that kinda fire each and every Saturday, the defense will be successful.

oumartin
11/3/2008, 11:28 AM
yeah, I agree that we have some great young players.

jwlynn64
11/3/2008, 11:29 AM
At least our DBs try to tackle the opposing teams running backs and don't just step aside and let them run into the end zone like some pro corners I could mention! ;)

madillsoonerfan5353
11/3/2008, 11:23 PM
yes, but that is a very young secondary.

and none of those guys were used to winning.

To me its simple.
Its time to change up the scheme a bit. Its a defense that the offenses across the country know how to exploit.

If you listened to Macks post game against Tech even. He thought Tech would play zone and they could do the 5 yard passes all the way down the field the entire night.. Tech moved up and started checking the recievers at the line.. That subtle difference threw the timing completely off and look at the results.

Hit the nail on the head, and I think in the Nebbis game OUr DB's done a great job in coverage! Looked like Stoops called some of the plays on D-Fence!