PDA

View Full Version : Bradford on Sundays?

PalmBeachSooner1
11/3/2008, 12:19 AM
How high does Sam have to be projected for him to leave after this season? I'm hoping he stays, can anyone assure me that they feel he will be in Norman next Fall?

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 12:22 AM
He is the number 1 overall prospect by McShay.

starclassic tama
11/3/2008, 12:25 AM
horrible thread. sam will make the decision when it is time. mod please lock this, thanks.

Sooner74
11/3/2008, 12:26 AM
This is a good topic...Like last season we will never know. Half of us thought most of last years juniors that were critical players would come back and they didn't.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 12:29 AM
Only thing that makes me nervous is there is NO good senior quarterbacks.

Stafford sucks

Tewbo ??

Sooner74
11/3/2008, 12:34 AM
I don't see Tebow projecting well. What system does he exactly fit in? Stafford...well when did he get props...the last half of last season and it is still going. He is a weak prospect. Sam and Mccoy look very promising to scouts right now.

aurorasooner
11/3/2008, 01:09 AM
JMHO, but Sam isn't ready for the next step yet. Sam's accuracy is not a problem, but he's had plenty of time to throw for the last 2 years with our experienced OL and he "ain't" going to have all day to throw at the next level, and a pro QB needs to be accurate with all kinds of chaos happening in proximity to where he's launching from. He also has a tendency to stare-down the open receiver and could use another year or two to work on looking-off the safeties as well just "making something happen out of nothing when his 1st or 2nd read isn't there, and also work on lofting the ball softly while leading the receiver instead of just throwing a bullet in between 2 defenders. A good example is that wide-open inside streak that he barely missed in the 1st quarter against Nebraska.
With virtually a whole new OL next year, he'll have to make more spur of the moment successful throws as well as to move around in the pocket more to avoid the rush. Another thing he needs to work on is being able to make his own reads instead of all those slow sideline audibles that we call, which imo aren't helping him get ready for the next level. Sam supposedly has plenty of smarts, and I would like to see our offensive coaches just turn all those sideline audibles off when we're up 28-0 in the 1st quarter to see what happens and how he responds when given a long leash instead of them constantly micromanaging everything from the sideline/booth.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/3/2008, 01:46 AM
Sam is staying for 4 years.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/3/2008, 02:08 AM
you remember how last year we were saying that reggie and malcolm would slip because of X and Y? how they could have helped themselves in the draft with a much better senior year (whereas lofton wasn't going to improve his stock as much?)

well sam has a huge hole in his resume for the NFL - his lack of accuracy on the deep ball. and much like kelly taking plays off, i think the closer it gets to draft day it would drag his stock down - not so much among his position, but just in general compared with other players. i think this class will be really deep with linemen (both defensive and offensive) as well as linebackers and you will probably see teams push that way.

OU_Sooners75
11/3/2008, 02:52 AM
Well, when Sam decides to leave for the big money, is when he feels he is ready to make that step.

He is a very smart young man.

With that said, he is also smart enough to understand 90% of the QBs that leave early do not succeed in the NFL.

And IMHO, Sam Bradford still has some important aspects of the game to learn before making the move to the NFL.

swardboy
11/3/2008, 07:28 AM
Isn't he a 4.0 gpa? I think he's smart enough to stay and get "seasoned."

Whatever happens, he is a great representative for the school and college football in general. I just hope he stays healthy.

sooneron
11/3/2008, 08:20 AM
I think he's gone after next year-
4 years of school and a degree (probably)
Records shattered

OUfan14
11/3/2008, 08:20 AM
He already said that he's coming back. So don't worry unless it's a last minute descision and he changes his mind. But he said he was staying.

My Opinion Matters
11/3/2008, 08:47 AM
We've already had about 5 threads on this topic.

sooneron
11/3/2008, 08:48 AM
Go easy on the nOObs, they know not what the search button does.

OU4LIFE
11/3/2008, 09:01 AM
If he's projected that highly, He'd be nuts not to go. And I'll give you three words why: "Collective Bargaining Agreement". That tasty little NFL nugget that Gene Upshaw had going, and it was/is giving rookies in the league more money and more guaranteed money than veterans that had proved themselves.

Well, Gene is gone, and it's up for vote this year. The veterans hate it, the owners hate it, and it WILL be going away.

SO, IF Sam leaves early for a top 3 pick, he's probably looking at around 65 million over 5 years with about 25-30 of it guaranteed. If he waits, and even if he maintains his lofty ranking and comes out as the overall #1, after this year that will only be worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 million, with less than half of that guaranteed.

If he's smart, and he and his family are, he'll take the money and give it a go. Cause after this year, they won't be paying untested rookies more than seasoned veterans....not anymore.

OU_Sooners75
11/3/2008, 09:35 AM
If he's projected that highly, He'd be nuts not to go. And I'll give you three words why: "Collective Bargaining Agreement". That tasty little NFL nugget that Gene Upshaw had going, and it was/is giving rookies in the league more money and more guaranteed money than veterans that had proved themselves.

Well, Gene is gone, and it's up for vote this year. The veterans hate it, the owners hate it, and it WILL be going away.

SO, IF Sam leaves early for a top 3 pick, he's probably looking at around 65 million over 5 years with about 25-30 of it guaranteed. If he waits, and even if he maintains his lofty ranking and comes out as the overall #1, after this year that will only be worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 million, with less than half of that guaranteed.

If he's smart, and he and his family are, he'll take the money and give it a go. Cause after this year, they won't be paying untested rookies more than seasoned veterans....not anymore.

LMFAO.

And there is nothing wrong with making 18 Million a year either.

If he is smart, which he is, he would stay and work on his game, finish his degree!

Only the poor think about going early. Bradford will make more in the long run if he stays.

Knippz
11/3/2008, 10:29 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ap&type=lgn s

Draft banter doesn’t enter Bradford’s mind
By JEFF LATZKE, AP Sports Writer

NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—At least one NFL draft projection has the top overall pick next year being Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. There’s only one problem with that.

“I don’t think that makes a lot of sense,” Bradford said, “considering I’m going to be in school next year.”

Bradford, who stacks up as Oklahoma’s top NFL quarterback prospect, will be eligible for the draft for the first time at the end of this season. He’s only a sophomore in eligibility, but he redshirted his first season on campus, giving him the required three years since high school.

He stands 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and is one of the nation’s most accurate and prolific passers. He’s coming off a school-record 468 yards passing last week against Kansas and ranks second in the nation in passing efficiency (192.2). In seven games, he has thrown for 2,520 yards and 26 touchdowns with only five interceptions.

It all adds up to an impressive resume, and one that Bradford couldn’t be less concerned about—as long as the wins keep coming.

“That’s a long way down the road. That’s something I haven’t even thought of, and there’s really no need to even think about that right now,” Bradford said.

Quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel, the 2000 Heisman Trophy runner-up, thinks that’s the healthy approach for Bradford with five more regular season games, a bowl and potentially a Big 12 Conference championship game to be played before it becomes an issue.

“I don’t talk to Sam a lot about some of those things just because he’s a kid, to be honest, that he doesn’t read, listen and watch a whole lot,” Heupel said. “Those are things I talk to him all the time about during the beginning of the season and during the offseason—‘You know who and what you are as a player, don’t let anything like that impact you.’

“Hopefully, his preparation and everything, nothing’s changed and I think he’ll stay true to that throughout the entire season.”

Heupel said he would question the validity of some draft projections at this point, even if Bradford is playing at a high level.

“Obviously you think about it when the time comes, but at this point it’s something that I haven’t put any thought into, so I really don’t have any thoughts on that right now,” Bradford said. “If the time comes where I do need to sit and think about it, then I will. As of right now, it’s probably the last thing on my mind.”

Originally posted by Crimson Kid

A-M
11/3/2008, 10:30 AM
Don't know what thread it is in, but about 2 weeks ago, it had a link to where Sam said in an interview that he can't be playing on Sunday next year because he will still be in school playing for OU.

Kels
11/3/2008, 11:11 AM
He likes it here at OU. Sure, if the Collective Bargaining Agreement changes, or he has a sub-par year in 2009, or he gets hurt then it will cost him some money. However, barring catastrophe, he's going to be a millionaire whenever he decides to go to the NFL.

If he stays, he will go down in history as the best QB of our storied program. He will be the player version of the King. I bet Jack Mildren (when he was still alive) or Jason White haven't paid for a meal in Oklahoma in years. Also, by staying and working on some of the things mentioned in this thread, he could be an NFL starter someday.

What if he could be the toast of his position at the next level like AD is right now? That would be a tremendous boost to our program. I'm going to enjoy every moment while he's playing at OU, because we're going to be talking about him 20, 30, and 40 years from now.

Collier11
11/3/2008, 11:27 AM
barring injury SB is a 1st rounder, he can make any throw...that being said, he is coming back one more yr atleast

OUMallen
11/3/2008, 11:56 AM
if he's projected in the 1st round, he needs to go.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/3/2008, 12:22 PM
if he's projected in the 1st round, he needs to go.

oh, i totally agree. that way, next year when we have a RS FR at QB and a new OL and the offense struggles all year we can have a "its time for kevin wilson to go" party.

oumartin
11/3/2008, 12:27 PM
while I wouldn't trade Bradford for anyone. He really doesn't throw the long ball very well IMO. he makes every other throw really well. I also think he needs to get more upper body strength as it appears he goes down fairly easily.

If he is truly an NFL caliber QB then another year in college would not hurt him IMO.

I think he stays at least one more year.

My Opinion Matters
11/3/2008, 12:31 PM
He reminds me a bit of David Carr right now, with a better delivery. (Not a slam against Sam, David Carr was a terrific college qb)

Collier11
11/3/2008, 12:31 PM
I agree, it def wouldnt hurt for him to stay...if he does have a fault it might be the deep ball although that laser he threw to Quentin Chaney 15-20 yds down the field was something special

fossil
11/3/2008, 01:43 PM
JMHO, but Sam isn't ready for the next step yet. Sam's accuracy is not a problem, but he's had plenty of time to throw for the last 2 years with our experienced OL and he "ain't" going to have all day to throw at the next level, and a pro QB needs to be accurate with all kinds of chaos happening in proximity to where he's launching from. He also has a tendency to stare-down the open receiver and could use another year or two to work on looking-off the safeties as well just "making something happen out of nothing when his 1st or 2nd read isn't there, and also work on lofting the ball softly while leading the receiver instead of just throwing a bullet in between 2 defenders. A good example is that wide-open inside streak that he barely missed in the 1st quarter against Nebraska.
With virtually a whole new OL next year, he'll have to make more spur of the moment successful throws as well as to move around in the pocket more to avoid the rush. Another thing he needs to work on is being able to make his own reads instead of all those slow sideline audibles that we call, which imo aren't helping him get ready for the next level. Sam supposedly has plenty of smarts, and I would like to see our offensive coaches just turn all those sideline audibles off when we're up 28-0 in the 1st quarter to see what happens and how he responds when given a long leash instead of them constantly micromanaging everything from the sideline/booth.

:) I could be wrong, but friend, you actually sound like you know sumpin'!

OU4LIFE
11/3/2008, 02:34 PM
LMFAO.

If he is smart, which he is, he would stay and work on his game, finish his degree!

Only the poor think about going early. Bradford will make more in the long run if he stays.

Hey I want you to come work for me. I'll pay you a projected ten bucks an hour NEXT YEAR, and I'll guarantee 5 bucks of that, or you can come to work RIGHT NOW and I'll pay you projected 40 bucks an hour and guarantee 20 of it.

your choice.

Just remember people, I said it first.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/3/2008, 05:14 PM
you remember how last year we were saying that reggie and malcolm would slip because of X and Y? how they could have helped themselves in the draft with a much better senior year (whereas lofton wasn't going to improve his stock as much?)

well sam has a huge hole in his resume for the NFL - his lack of accuracy on the deep ball. and much like kelly taking plays off, i think the closer it gets to draft day it would drag his stock down - not so much among his position, but just in general compared with other players. i think this class will be really deep with linemen (both defensive and offensive) as well as linebackers and you will probably see teams push that way.

Exactly..This time last year, McShay had Brian Brohm going number 7 to Atlanta and had Matt Ryan going a few picks later...Brohm ended up going 56 to Green Bay...I ll go ahead and throw out Andre Woodson as well...During the season, they were all over his jock...If I remember right, he didn't get picked

Not anything against McShay..After the Senior Bowl, thats when somebody will know

hink4769
11/3/2008, 06:18 PM
Exactly..This time last year, McShay had Brian Brohm going number 7 to Atlanta and had Matt Ryan going a few picks later...Brohm ended up going 56 to Green Bay...I ll go ahead and throw out Andre Woodson as well...During the season, they were all over his jock...If I remember right, he didn't get picked

Not anything against McShay..After the Senior Bowl, thats when somebody will know

I don't think Sam would be participating in the Senior Bowl or any of those other similar events because he is not a senior. The only workouts I think he would go through are the combine and his individual workout at OU. That said, the scouts look at alot more than just on-field performance when evaluating these guys. Its conceivable to me that guys like Stafford and Josh Freeman could move ahead of him, just based on their arm strength. even though they aren't anywhere near his class as a college QB.
I think he would benefit (finanically) from going this year because this year's QB class is about as bad as its been for awhile. Honestly, I'm not sure how much better he will get with another year in school. He's already playing at at a level that very few college QBs have ever achieved. I think he will be working more on doing what he's been doing to win games, rather than try to diversify his game and prepare for the pro's. After all, why mess with something thats working so well? I think arm strength is something that improves very slowly (i.e. he won't be throwing Elwayesque bullets at the end of next season, but maybe 5 - 8 years from now if he really works at it, similar to Tom Brady). I think another year of school, even if he improves as a player, will hurt his draft stock more than help it because since the talent drop-off at WR and O-Line will be pretty big, and it looks like this is the ideal year for QBs to leave because of the poor class.

Johnny Utah
11/3/2008, 09:13 PM
Stafford...well when did he get props...the last half of last season and it is still going. He is a weak prospect.

Well, if you watched the 1st half of the FL/GA game Saturday you'd have the same visions that I did of Gary Danielson wearing holes in the knees of his Sansabelts over Stafford ;) ... however 2nd half was a little different story.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 09:15 PM
Anybody got any ideas on who the first qb selected will be?

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 09:19 PM
Those of you that keep saying Sam will stay because he said he would...

...well, what else is he supposed to say right now? They all say that during the season. He might stay or he might go, but to keep throwing that statement out there means carp.

...and if he's as smart as everyone says he is, he'll go play for millions as soon as he can.

That all being said: I hope he stays forever. :D

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 09:20 PM
Anybody got any ideas on who the first qb selected will be?

Yep, Sam Bradford.

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 09:20 PM
Those of you that keep saying Sam will stay because he said he would...

...well, what else is he supposed to say right now? They all say that during the season. He might stay or he might go, but to keep throwing that statement out there means carp.

...and if he's as smart as everyone says he is, he'll go play for millions as soon as he can.

That all being said: I hope he stays forever. :D

Negative Nancy.

;)

sooneron
11/3/2008, 09:21 PM
Hey I want you to come work for me. I'll pay you a projected ten bucks an hour NEXT YEAR, and I'll guarantee 5 bucks of that, or you can come to work RIGHT NOW and I'll pay you projected 40 bucks an hour and guarantee 20 of it.

your choice.

Just remember people, I said it first.

Well it's official, you can't afford me.:D

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 09:23 PM
Negative Nancy.

;)

Negative Nancy my ***...

...because I said he should go play for millions as opposed to doing it for free?

What would you do? :P

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 09:25 PM
play for the Rams/Chiefs

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 09:25 PM
Negative Nancy my ***...

...because I said he should go play for millions as opposed to doing it for free?

What would you do? :P

I would stay and get my degree.

;)

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 09:27 PM
I would stay and get my degree.

;)

If you're dumas enough to turn down millions to stay in school, ain't no degree gonna help you anyway. :P

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 09:30 PM
If you're dumas enough to turn down millions to stay in school, ain't no degree gonna help you anyway. :P

You would still get millions!

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 09:33 PM
You would still get millions!

I say go get the millions while they are there. What if, and it's a big and unlikely if, but what if he suffered a career ending injury next year playing for free? There goes the millions.

On the other hand: go make the millions ASAP, then at your leisure come back and finish that degree if it's all that important.

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 09:52 PM
Of course Sam has things he needs to improve on, but the bottom line is he will be the first QB selected if he comes out this year regardless of what weaknesses he currently has. He will have a great NFL career. He is amazing, and if he does decide to come back we are lucky as hell. I'm sure he will make the right decision, and either way OU will be just fine. I'm just going to enjoy the hell out of every snap he takes the rest of the season. I love watching this guy play.

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 09:59 PM
Stafford blows, I do know that

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 10:01 PM
I would stay in college 4 years and get all the ***** possible.

:D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/3/2008, 10:04 PM
I say go get the millions while they are there. What if, and it's a big and unlikely if, but what if he suffered a career ending injury next year playing for free? There goes the millions.

its called insurance, he'd easily get a 60 mill policy...

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 10:11 PM

I like the way you're thinkin!!

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 10:28 PM

....and one couldn't do that playing in the NFL and banking the millions?

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 10:29 PM
....and one couldn't do that playing in the NFL and banking the millions?

College ***** is the best *****.

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 10:31 PM

Like he wouldn't still be able to do that. :D

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 10:36 PM
Like he wouldn't still be able to do that. :D

Shut Up!!!!

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 10:37 PM
Shut Up!!!!

Tired of being PWNed huh?

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 10:38 PM
Tired of being PWNed huh?

Maybe

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 10:38 PM
Maybe

Then bow down to your lord and master Beyonce. :D

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 10:42 PM
Then bow down to your lord and master Beyonce. :D

Whatever.

Collier11
11/3/2008, 11:01 PM

Going by yourself into the bathroom a few times a day to "try out" your new lotion doesnt exactly count

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 11:02 PM
Going by yourself into the bathroom a few times a day to "try out" your new lotion doesnt exactly count

LOLOLOLOL :D

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 11:03 PM

That's not me.

Collier11
11/3/2008, 11:09 PM
That's not me.

doing "the stranger" is still technically you

JLEW1818
11/3/2008, 11:10 PM
hahaha

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 11:22 PM
doing "the stranger" is still technically you

Your the one that does it!

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 11:23 PM
hahaha

Are you betraying the Posse alliance!?

Collier11
11/3/2008, 11:28 PM
Your the one that does it!

Its ok, you dont have to be ashamed

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 11:32 PM
Its ok, you dont have to be ashamed

It's not me, its you!

I found your stash behind your bed.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/CKSooner/DSCI0220.jpg

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 11:37 PM
Collier is this at all blurry to you?

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii129/funkXvintage/Masturbation.gif

Desert Sapper
11/3/2008, 11:48 PM
How many QBs left before their senior season and were successful?

I can think of a whole lot more that weren't.

Contrast that with the most successful QBs in the NFL right now.

Manning completed his degree in three years, and was projected to be the top overall pick in the NFL Draft, but returned to Tennessee for his senior year.

Sam isn't just about the $$. He wants to be good. He wants to win Super Bowls, not just make money. If he wants to be successful and is smart, he'll stick around two more years.

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 11:52 PM
I hope you're right. The money will play a factor though. It has to.

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 11:55 PM
Why do peeps get on here and act like they know these players? That they know how they think, know what they want?

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 11:56 PM
Why do peeps get on here and act like they know these players? That they know how they think, know what they want?

Sam is my best friend!

BigGobbler
11/3/2008, 11:58 PM

I guess people just try to figure out what would be the smartest decision for a guy and go from there..... tough call at this point.

Curly Bill
11/3/2008, 11:58 PM
Sam is my best friend!

You and seemingly several other posters in this thread. ;)

CK Sooner
11/3/2008, 11:59 PM
You and seemingly several other posters in this thread. ;)

I heard he was your boyfriend.

;)

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 12:00 AM
Gobbler did you just neg me?

I can't tell because you don't have enough spek points.

Curly get your spekker ready.

Curly Bill
11/4/2008, 12:02 AM
I guess people just try to figure out what would be the smartest decision for a guy and go from there..... tough call at this point.

No, people actually coming on here and telling us: Sam wants this, Sam wants that...Oh really, tells us the rest of Sam's story, what are his hopes his dreams, what's his favorite color, what was the name of his first pet, how many children does he want? :rolleyes:

...or, how about these peeps just say: I really want Sam to stay and here's why, as opposed to pretending to be physic and knowing what he wants.

BigGobbler
11/4/2008, 12:02 AM
Gobbler did you just neg me?

I can't tell because you don't have enough spek points.

Curly get your spekker ready.

That's crazy talk... all positive... all the time.

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 12:03 AM
That's crazy talk... all positive... all the time.

LMAO, stop.

I don't want any grey spek.

I will give you some green though.

BigGobbler
11/4/2008, 12:04 AM
No, people actually coming on here and telling us: Sam wants this, Sam wants that...Oh really, tells us the rest of Sam's story, what are his hopes his dreams, what's his favorite color, what was the name of his first pet, how many children does he want? :rolleyes:

...or, how about these peeps just say: I really want Sam to stay and here's why, as opposed to pretending to be physic and knowing what he wants.

I'm with ya..... Damn I hope he stays... But, we'll roll on regardless.

BigGobbler
11/4/2008, 12:06 AM
LMAO, stop.

I'm blowin your rep up tonight... probably a personal best for ya tonight.

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 12:07 AM
I'm blowin your rep up tonight... probably a personal best for ya tonight.

No it's not.

I just gave green to every one of your posts.

Collier11
11/4/2008, 12:08 AM
LMAO, stop.

Get a room homos :D

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 12:08 AM
Gobbler it was nice clean and green.

Now you made it all grey. :(

CK Sooner
11/4/2008, 12:09 AM
Get a room homos :D

:mad:

BigGobbler
11/4/2008, 12:11 AM
Gobbler it was nice clean and green.

Now you made it all grey. :(

Made what grey? You gotta speak my language. I'm new to this place. Pretty sure I hooked you up though. I gotcha covered

PalmBeachSooner1
11/5/2008, 01:16 AM
Go easy on the nOObs, they know not what the search button does.

Yeah, I saw that search after posting. My bad guys.

OUTrumpet
11/5/2008, 12:46 PM
LMFAO.

Tommie Harris went pro early and finished his degree during summers while training here in Norman.

Granted I hope he stays and leads our team for the next few years. But I don't think the earnings a degree would compare to what he could earn if he was a top 3 pick in the draft.

He could go pro and easily finish his degree. He could finish here or at another university at any of the pro cities where he's drafted at.

Desert Sapper
11/15/2008, 12:51 AM

Don't know him, but all the dude talks about in public is winning championships. Just seems like it translates well to a career in the NFL. Guys that are as competitive as Sam (and he is, according to the people that know him best) want to win championships more than anything else. It's called deductive reasoning, and its been around a lot longer than I have.

The rest is documented fact. Not a whole helluva lot of QBs succeed when they leave early. I can't think of any that left after a RS Soph year.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/15/2008, 03:25 AM
Sam reminds me a lot of Tom Brady.. Not really flashy but can make all the throws, doesn't seem to get unnerved by any situation, knows when to trust his wide receivers.