PDA

View Full Version : **FUN GAME - Try this at home!!!**

Lott's Bandana
11/2/2008, 10:38 PM
-Take a watermelon, cut it open...see those little black things, the seeds?
-Take out one of them.
-Now, place it between your index finger and thumb and stretch your arm out straight in front of you.
-Squeeze. (better wear safety glasses, that baby's gonna fly!)

Know what this game is called???

The Jimmy Stevens Extra Point Try

Go on, try it...it's fun!! Go back to that ole watermelon and do it again...at least once a week.

sooner59
11/2/2008, 10:42 PM
You would think as short as he is he might be able to get under it more to get some air under it.

Widescreen
11/2/2008, 11:12 PM
I guess I've gotten used to it. His knuckeballs no longer surprise me.

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2008, 11:32 PM
If he consistently misses the extra point on the 9th TD of every game, I can live with that. Hartley missed a few last year as well, for some reason.

I've been watching college ball since '71 (a good year to start watching OU) and a consistent theme is that true freshman kickers are erratic. Even ones that later become very good or all-conference. We got spoiled with Hartley coming in and performing right away. Maybe Steven will mature, but if not, we better have an alternative for next year.

DarrellZero
11/3/2008, 12:23 AM
Hartley seemed solid from the start, although he probably was an exception.

Sooner74
11/3/2008, 12:25 AM
You want me to talk to Stevens? He is in one of my 15 person classes.

misplacedsooner
11/3/2008, 12:28 AM
please do! tell him tress way wants his job.

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2008, 12:36 AM
Please do. Tell him the watermelon seed story; I'm sure that will help. :)

TumbleWeed Timmy
11/3/2008, 12:40 AM
You can always have a contest during the game with some guy picked out of the stands.

Sooner74
11/3/2008, 12:41 AM
:) The watermelon story...Oh he will never forget it.

Sooner74
11/3/2008, 12:42 AM
You can always have a contest during the game with some guy picked out of the stands.

I'll do it...We did it in high school as a joke and a couple of lineman made 40 yard kicks.

sooneron
11/3/2008, 08:29 AM
I believe Hartley was good his Freshman year and dropped off a bit his soph year.

CtheB
11/3/2008, 10:26 AM
I watched him kick on more than a few occasions in high school. Something has happened to his confidence, or possibly even his technique, which I am not educated to tell a difference. He never had a real strong leg, but he definitely got a lot more elevation on his kicks in high school.

I am hopeful he can turn it around, like the Cerna kid at LSU did (remember his terrible freshman year?). It's clear to me that Tress Way hasn't done anything to impress, or he would have been in by now.

tru2ou
11/3/2008, 10:31 AM
I watched him kick on more than a few occasions in high school. Something has happened to his confidence, or possibly even his technique, which I am not educated to tell a difference. He never had a real strong leg, but he definitely got a lot more elevation on his kicks in high school.

I am hopeful he can turn it around, like the Cerna kid at LSU did (remember his terrible freshman year?). It's clear to me that Tress Way hasn't done anything to impress, or he would have been in by now.

Can't you still use a tee in h.s.? That might be the biggest reason for the difference.

- tru

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2008, 10:45 AM
Can't you still use a tee in h.s.? That might be the biggest reason for the difference.

- tru

That could be it, because it does seem that most freshman struggle. I thought he had a very solid kick against KU that was about 1' wide left. It was from 47yds out as I remember, and had plenty of distance and plenty of height off the ground. I was thinking - "dang, if that had been good, it might have gotten him over the confidence hurdle".

CobraKai
11/3/2008, 10:58 AM
You need a much better leg to get the ball up without a tee. That is the biggest adjustment from high school. Even George Blanda style toe kickers can get the ball up in the air off a tee. :)

CtheB
11/3/2008, 11:06 AM

- tru

I believe you are correct, and that would be a major adjustment. That being said, watch this kid at Christian Heritage, Ian Sanders. He's a junior, weighs about 150 pounds dripping wet, but can launch it, with two FGs over 50 yards this year. First year to play football. Kickoffs regularly 4-7 yards deep in the end zone. Once he gets some weight on him, and a little more experience, he may be a diamond in the rough.

salth2o
11/3/2008, 11:37 AM

That would never work! :rolleyes:

snp
11/3/2008, 12:08 PM
I believe Hartley was good his Freshman year and dropped off a bit his soph year.

2004: 1/1 FG 12/12 PATs.
2005: 14/22 FG 37/38 PAT
2006: 19/20 FG 49/50 PAT
2007: 13/15 FG 71/76 PAT