PDA

View Full Version : Credit/Debit

jthomasou78
11/2/2008, 07:02 PM
So I need to vent about one of my pet peeves. When you go to the grocery store and its time to check out. One runs their card through the pin pad machine. It asks for credit or debit. I choose credit, it then asks for my pin. I type it in, and it runs my card as a debit. When you run your card as a debit you pay for the charge as opposed to credit that the grocery store pays.

So how can they legally run your card as a debit when you asked it to be run as a credit. I will get off of my soap box but it angers me royally.

Frozen Sooner
11/2/2008, 07:06 PM
Hit "Cancel" when it asks for your PIN.

When you enter your PIN, under Reg E it's an authorized ATM side transaction. So that's how they can do it legally.

What kind of ****ty bank do you use that charges you to use your ATM card at point of sale anyhow?

yermom
11/2/2008, 07:11 PM
use cash

as an added bonus, you'll anger Mike Froz :D

Rogue
11/2/2008, 08:27 PM
I can only use it as "debit" for a number of transactions too.
The CU ladies say to do it as "credit" as much as possible.

Rogue
11/2/2008, 08:28 PM
Oh, and do what Mike says.
Most of the time.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/2/2008, 09:31 PM
What kind of ****ty bank do you use that charges you to use your ATM card at point of sale anyhow?

The way it was explained to me, it isn't any different than using your ATM card for cash at a non-facility ATM. It views it as a debit transaction, therefore subject to the fees involved. Go figure.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/2/2008, 09:45 PM
Fire the bank.

mdklatt
11/2/2008, 10:45 PM
I've never been asked for a PIN when choosing "credit". :confused:

Frozen Sooner
11/2/2008, 10:47 PM
The way it was explained to me, it isn't any different than using your ATM card for cash at a non-facility ATM. It views it as a debit transaction, therefore subject to the fees involved. Go figure.

Hunh. I mean, yeah, it uses the same authorization system, so technically it's a non-acquiring ATM transaction, I've just never seen any financial institution treat it as such and charge a fee for it.

I mean, we WANT you to use your debit card.

yermom
11/2/2008, 11:17 PM
so you can charge a bunch of fees when people overdraw their account?

most of the time i'd rather charge something than use a debit card

if something stupid happens i have a month to deal with it as opposed to my account being negative immediately

soonerboomer93
11/2/2008, 11:31 PM
walmart will not accept my check card as credit, everyone else does.

I have never been charged the fee's. Infact, any fee's i'm charged, my bank refunds.

Frozen Sooner
11/2/2008, 11:38 PM
so you can charge a bunch of fees when people overdraw their account?

most of the time i'd rather charge something than use a debit card

if something stupid happens i have a month to deal with it as opposed to my account being negative immediately

Yes, that's exactly it. We love it when people come in bitching because they can't perform simple addition and subtraction.

The actual reason is because EFT transactions are handled automatically and require much fewer man-hours than checks or cash.

soonerboomer93
11/3/2008, 12:09 AM
ladies and gentlemen, you heard it here first

using a debit card contributes to unemployment

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2008, 12:13 AM
I've never had my debit card charged for any transaction except when I use another bank's ATM.

SoonerInKCMO
11/3/2008, 04:42 PM
I bank with UMB and they've charged me for using my check card as a debit card before. I've used it as a credit card ever since so I don't know if they still add the charges.

Fraggle145
11/3/2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, that's exactly it. We love it when people come in bitching because they can't perform simple addition and subtraction.

The actual reason is because EFT transactions are handled automatically and require much fewer man-hours than checks or cash.

Checks are teh suck. If you use checks at the grocery store... hell or anywhere else, please stay home. Nobody wants to wait on your check writing *** because you are afraid of the computers taking your moneys.

jkjsooner
11/3/2008, 05:22 PM
At the local Safeway, no matter how I do it I end up having to swipe my card twice.

(lady scans first item)
(screen says "swipe now")
(i swipe and select "credit")
(screen says "please wait")
(lady finishes and hits a button)
(confirmation with price pops up)
(i hit "okay")
(i get "please swipe card message")
(have to go through these steps again)

It's annoying. I've tried waiting until after everything is done but still have to swipe twice. I've verified I do not have two charges.

My bank also charges me a fee if I use the debit instead of credit feature. I never use my check card except at the ATM as the protections with a normal card are much better. My wife had her checkcard copied (probably at a dry cleaners). She still had the card but all of a sudden a couple of thousand dollars in charges showed up in Seoul. It caused her to overdraft and the charges pilled up until I was able to transfer money into her account. The bank knew there was fraud and they agreed to pay it back but they could not stop the pending charges from coming in and they could not reverse the overdraft charges.

Don't use a checkcard. Banks suck. Use a regular credit card and pay it off.

Big Red Ron
11/3/2008, 05:24 PM
So I need to vent about one of my pet peeves. When you go to the grocery store and its time to check out. One runs their card through the pin pad machine. It asks for credit or debit. I choose credit, it then asks for my pin. I type it in, and it runs my card as a debit. When you run your card as a debit you pay for the charge as opposed to credit that the grocery store pays.

So how can they legally run your card as a debit when you asked it to be run as a credit. I will get off of my soap box but it angers me royally.I always hit credit. Are you saying they charge for debit but not credit?

yermom
11/3/2008, 05:25 PM
At the local Safeway, no matter how I do it I end up having to swipe my card twice.

(lady scans first item)
(screen says "swipe now")
(i swipe and select "credit")
(screen says "please wait")
(lady finishes and hits a button)
(confirmation with price pops up)
(i hit "okay")
(i get "please swipe card message")
(have to go through these steps again)

It's annoying. I've tried waiting until after everything is done but still have to swipe twice. I've verified I do not have two charges.

My bank also charges me a fee if I use the debit instead of credit feature. I never use my check card except at the ATM as the protections with a normal card are much better. My wife had her checkcard copied (probably at a dry cleaners). She still had the card but all of a sudden a couple of thousand dollars in charges showed up in Seoul. It caused her to overdraft and the charges pilled up until I was able to transfer money into her account. The bank knew there was fraud and they agreed to pay it back but they could not stop the pending charges from coming in and they could not reverse the overdraft charges.

Don't use a checkcard. Banks suck. Use a regular credit card and pay it off.

that's basically what i was saying...

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2008, 05:43 PM
1. They can't stop the pending charges. That's a VISA problem, not a bank problem. Sorry. They can, however, reverse them when they show up.

2. You guys seem to have bad luck with picking ****ty banks. I've never run into an instance where I've refused to reverse any fees associated with fraud. I've never seen someone get charged a fee for using ATM-side authorization through a POS terminal.

3. You realize that credit cards are issued by banks, right?

Hell, if someone comes in with a fraud deal I'll typically reverse the fees without them asking.

yermom
11/3/2008, 05:48 PM
it's not always fraud. and it's not something that has really happened to me, just people around me

*cough* dolemite *cough*