PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice...

westcoast_sooner
11/2/2008, 11:26 AM
ok - any self-respecting Sooner fan was watching our game last night. But did anyone notice what adjustments the Tech defense made to shut Colt & Co. down last night? Also, I heard that Orakpo went down early - was that a factor in Texas' ability to stop Tech?

fadada1
11/2/2008, 11:38 AM
to my untrained eye, they seemed to make ponyboy step up in the pocket a bit more than the other games. once he did that, someone seemed to be able to get pressure on him from the other side of the rush. they just didn't seem to blitz too much to me.

MojoRisen
11/2/2008, 11:46 AM
Texas didn't have any rythem in tempo and were in 3rd and 5 or more most of the game- so no missed tackles on short completions.

They sacked Mccoy 4 or 5 times and hit him regulary... He was pulling freeman mcniels and getting up real slow on some plays- that knocked his rythem off.

Texas couldn't run the ball at all either... from what I saw

Curly Bill
11/2/2008, 12:29 PM
I liked the fact that TT actually put a defender in the general vicinity of Shipley. Wish we'd thought of that.

tulsaoilerfan
11/2/2008, 12:31 PM
From what i saw of the game, Texas dropped a few passes that they caught against us, and like Curly Bill said someone actually was within two time zones of Shipley most of the game.

Jacie
11/2/2008, 12:38 PM
Tech rushed three most of the night. Sometimes a LB would come on a delay. They still gave up some short stuff but they managed to keep the completed passes in front of them and tackle the receiver short of a first down enough to get some stops. I think Texas was 4-11 on third down percentage. Tech did give up one long pass for a TD (that one almost cost em the game coming when they were still up by 10 with over 6 minutes to play). Colt had one decent run but his overall yardage was low due to being sacked what, three times?

bluedogok
11/2/2008, 12:40 PM
They didn't leave the short middle open all night, every time Colt tried to throw in there it seemed a defender broke it up or held it to a minimal gain by making an immediate tackle.

westcoast_sooner
11/2/2008, 01:04 PM
From what I saw of the tail end of that game, I thought Tech was playing on a lot of emotion - at home in front of a National TV audience. Yes, someone finally noticed that Shipley was a huge part of the UT offense and tried to do something about it. But also, that they were rushing 3 - dropping 8 into coverage. I think it's something we should look for, but our game against them is in Norman.

Blitzkrieg
11/2/2008, 01:07 PM
Cover two, UT doiesn't have a tight end or a normal running game to attack it. Tech did a good job staying in their rush lanes so ponyboy couldn't run for 500 yards on scrambles.

I heard Cosby was hurt against forclOSUre state, and wore a green "don't hurt me" jersy in practice. He was not able to play.

East Coast Bias
11/2/2008, 02:35 PM
Being able to play the 3-4 and still get pressure on the QB, put a lot of bodies in coverage and gave them the win. If they do that to us, we have to run the ball, something Texas failed at. It is also impressive how the Tech WR's run a route then come back to the QB to get the pass. Crabtree did it on the winning play. That is a hard throw to defend and Tech uses it on almost every play..