PDA

View Full Version : Defensive performance

boomersooner2001
11/2/2008, 10:28 AM
I for one was really excited with the amount of intensity the defense had last night. The players came out fired up, and were hitting Nebraska in the mouth from the first play. I don't forget the fact that it was Nebraska, and they aren't near the quality opponent that Tech, or OSU will be, and there were still a few miscues and busted assignments, but overall I was impressed with the fire they played with. Miscues and busted coverages can be fixed in the film room and at practice, but the intensity is something that can't be coached. Without the few mistakes we had, I would have to put last night's performance right up there with the CCG last year. If the guys play like that, the rest of the season, we'll be in KC next month.

Good job guys!!!

westcoast_sooner
11/2/2008, 11:11 AM
Last week, I re-watched the KSU game and thought the defense played well most of the time, and we aren't that far off. Last night, I was still a little concerned by NU's 3 TD drives (not including the one in garbage time), but overall we played pretty solid defense.

Guys have to just keep getting better. I think as Box gets more playing time and becomes accustomed to the position, he'll come along and we'll be a lot better. Our secondary will have their hands full against Tech and OSU, so the front will need solid efforts.

44BluesExplosion
11/2/2008, 11:17 AM
I've heard a lot of noise about BV. I've heard a lot of noise about scheme. I've heard a lot of noise...

To me, I think the biggest problem is a lack of identity and leadership. We don't have that one or two guys that sets the tone and accepts responsibility for the performance of the defense as a whole. The lack of that "chief of staff" position makes it hard to keep intensity where it should be for 4 quarters.

boomersooner2001
11/2/2008, 11:18 AM
Really, the only concern I have about last night is the way we came out that first drive defensively in the 3rd qtr. It appeared to me like we were a little flat, but the guys picked it back up pretty quick after that.

Also, it seemed to me that Box was overpursuing on some of the runs which was allowing Nebraska's rbs to get outside. Because he looked pretty good on his pass coverages. The overpursuit issues can be fixed with practice and film study, but overall I thought they did an outstanding job.

sooneron
11/2/2008, 02:42 PM
I would say that they did good, not outstanding. Which is an improvement.

Nebbish isn't all that on offense, but they don't really suck, either. Ganz is a serviceable qb that makes some nice throws.

What is the word on A English's knee?

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2008, 02:50 PM
It's tough to judge intensity in a blow-out. Most teams let down a notch once the game has been decided. This game was decided at 35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter and NU didn't have the ball much due to (forced!) turnovers. But I thought the intensity was very good for the 1st quarter.

RedstickSooner
11/2/2008, 04:27 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure I deserve a game ball, seeing as I'm certain that my complaining about the play of the defense served as motivational material for them to elevate their game. Being a loyal fan, I'll continue dogging them so they may experience ongoing success. I'm awesome! :)

Er, yeah, the intensity seemed much improved. Even if we're still breaking down some, if we just play with fire, I feel much happier about things. It's when you suck on defense and don't even seem to be trying that I go a little nuts as a fan.

sooneron
11/2/2008, 04:30 PM
This would be week No. 2 that I have seen more aggressive play from the D. Tonight was slightly smarter than last week. Our pass rush still needs quite a bit of improvement if we are to handle teck and and orange aggy.

Jdog
11/2/2008, 06:33 PM
I for one was really excited with the amount of intensity the defense had last night. The players came out fired up, and were hitting Nebraska in the mouth from the first play. I don't forget the fact that it was Nebraska, and they aren't near the quality opponent that Tech, or OSU will be, and there were still a few miscues and busted assignments, but overall I was impressed with the fire they played with. Miscues and busted coverages can be fixed in the film room and at practice, but the intensity is something that can't be coached. Without the few mistakes we had, I would have to put last night's performance right up there with the CCG last year. If the guys play like that, the rest of the season, we'll be in KC next month.

Good job guys!!!

They just need to play that good for an additional 54 and a half more minutes of a game. I know it was a blow out in the first 5 and a half minutes but still too many big plays on our starters after that.