PDA

View Full Version : So How Far Does Texas Fall in Rankings?

Since71ASooner4Life
11/1/2008, 11:19 PM
Loss to undefeated team on the road on near-miracle last play of the game shouldn't drop them far at all. If we'd played/beaten the same schedule and finally lost the same way I know what plenty of folks here would be saying. Given were we and Tech will also be rated, I'm not sure you can drop the horns lower than #4 or #5. Other opinions?

SOONERnTx
11/1/2008, 11:22 PM
it always hurts more to lose later in the season no matter who its to, with who we have left to play the Sooners just need to win out and it will take care of itself

SoonerGrant
11/1/2008, 11:33 PM
1. Alabama
2. Tech
3. Penn St
4. Texas
5. Oklahoma

OU-HSV
11/1/2008, 11:35 PM
Something good that we have in our favor is we have an opportunity to beat a very high ranked Tech team and a high ranked sheephumper squad too.
Hopefully we can just take care of business and keep winning...no letdowns.
Then what happens, happens.

PLaw
11/1/2008, 11:37 PM
1. Alabama
2. Tech
3. Penn St
4. Texas
5. Oklahoma

That's exactly where my head is at.

BOOMER

S008NER
11/2/2008, 12:04 AM
What about florida? Their win today should land them in the top 5.

mightysooner
11/2/2008, 12:08 AM
I don't think they should drop very far considering the gauntlet they just ran. They came back in the 4th quarter but it just came down to a freaky good play.

Sooner_09
11/2/2008, 12:08 AM
They fall to 5, with Florida and Tech jumping us

SoonerGrant
11/2/2008, 12:10 AM
They fall to 5, with Florida and Tech jumping us

I can see that happening.. especially in the coaches poll. But I think the computers will help us out and we should still be ahead of Florida, if only by a slim margin.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/2/2008, 12:20 AM
1. Alabama
2. Tech
3. Penn St
4. Texas
5. Oklahoma

Yes, but there won't be a big gap in the points between 4th and 5th and the BCS rank will be close as well.

If TT beats OSU and we win out beating TT and OSU in Stillwater to finish the season I have NO doubt we wind up jumping Texas in the polls and in the BCS.

Now if OSU beats TT then Texas will play in the CCG and we won't jump them unless they lose to Missouri (not likely).

S008NER
11/2/2008, 12:25 AM
Pollster usually punish late season losses. ut is out of the top 5.

SoonerGrant
11/2/2008, 12:28 AM
Yes, but there won't be a big gap in the points between 4th and 5th and the BCS rank will be close as well.

If TT beats OSU and we win out beating TT and OSU in Stillwater to finish the season I have NO doubt we wind up jumping Texas in the polls and in the BCS.

Now if OSU beats TT then Texas will play in the CCG and we won't jump them unless they lose to Missouri (not likely).

100% correct :D Actually there won't be a big gap between 4 5 and 6.

We gotta hope for an OSU loss next week so we can have a chance at a 3 way, then it goes to the BCS for the tiebreaker.

ratedrsuperstar
11/2/2008, 06:54 AM
1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Texas Tech
4. Florida
5. Texas
6. Oklahoma

If our score last night had been 56 or 62 to 7 or 10, the sooners would have held onto the 4th spot, but Florida beating Ga by 39 was a lot more impressive and Texas did good for themselves by coming back like they did to lose on a last second play.

MiccoMacey
11/2/2008, 06:57 AM
1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Texas Tech
4. Florida
5. Texas
6. Oklahoma

If our score last night had been 56 or 62 to 7 or 10, the sooners would have held onto the 4th spot, but Florida beating Ga by 39 was a lot more impressive and Texas did good for themselves by coming back like they did to lose on a last second play.

Agreed.

And at some point someone is going to look at USC and they may pass us as well. Especially since we play a 4-5 A&M next week. We need to win big againn in their house just to keep up.

The Maestro
11/2/2008, 08:34 AM
So we hang 62 on Nebraska and are going to fall two spots in the polls?

I am not sure even pollsters can justify that. What did we do to lose two spots? 35 in the first quarter?

It may happen...but it really is going to be a process of elimination at this point. Obviously, it plays itself out. As I see it, these teams all have shots.

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Texas Tech
4. Oklahoma
5. Oklahoma State
6. Penn State
7. Florida
8. USC

Perfect year for a playoff...but one team will be knocked out next week in Lubbock. I think we are all big Les Miles fans next week. Iowa, too. I would assume that we end up over Texas if TT keeps winning and we end up knocking them off.

Florida looks like the best team in the country right now, but they STILL cannot be forgiven too much for losing to an unranked team. Same goes for USC. No shame at all in OU and Texas losses.

Oh, and if Sam comes back next year, which I fully expect him to, will the Big 12 South have four teams in the preseason top 8 to 10?? Unreal talent in the division right now.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/2/2008, 08:42 AM
1. Bama (playing in the SEC and being undefeated with their schedule is worthy of #1)
2. Texas (the question is who do I think is the better team? The answer is Texas. Yes yes I am fully aware that Tech just beat them head to head, but you play that game in Austin or a neutral site and the Raiders wouldn't be within 21 of Texas. Honestly if Bama has one loss I would leave Texas at #1)
3, 4, 5. In no particularly order, Oklahoma, Florida, Tech (OU has been suspect on defense which keeps them from being a top-2 team. Florida, again the SEC arguement comes into play. The only thing keeping them from a higher ranking is that the thumping of Georgia was at home. Tech, there best win is Texas and one win a season does not make...unless you wear bright orange and you coach is A MAN!!)
On a side note, as I'm writing this ESPN ran their top-5 it was as follows
#5 USC-I guess they can forget a beaver pretty quickly
#4 Florida
#3 Tech
#2 Penn State-Who have they beaten? Ohio State? Who hasn't?
#1 Bama

SoonerFanInAustin
11/2/2008, 08:55 AM
I guess it is in 3 of the last 4 games for USC, they have posted shut outs. Even if the competition hasn't been that tough...

These BCS rankings for this wk will be very close, especially 3 thru 7 or 8

As mentioned so many times the past couple of wks, we just have to win out. Which will be tough enough.

OU-HSV
11/2/2008, 08:57 AM
1. Bama (playing in the SEC and being undefeated with their schedule is worthy of #1)
2. Texas (the question is who do I think is the better team? The answer is Texas. Yes yes I am fully aware that Tech just beat them head to head, but you play that game in Austin or a neutral site and the Raiders wouldn't be within 21 of Texas. Honestly if Bama has one loss I would leave Texas at #1)
3, 4, 5. In no particularly order, Oklahoma, Florida, Tech (OU has been suspect on defense which keeps them from being a top-2 team. Florida, again the SEC arguement comes into play. The only thing keeping them from a higher ranking is that the thumping of Georgia was at home. Tech, there best win is Texas and one win a season does not make...unless you wear bright orange and you coach is A MAN!!)
On a side note, as I'm writing this ESPN ran their top-5 it was as follows
#5 USC-I guess they can forget a beaver pretty quickly
#4 Florida
#3 Tech
#2 Penn State-Who have they beaten? Ohio State? Who hasn't?
#1 Bama

I think that was simply Kirk's top 5. I laughed when I saw it too. To me I still don't see how usc should even be considered above us.
Florida looks great lately, but that's quite a jump for them to go over us.
I think texas and OU should be over usc and florida. And I still think penn state shouldn't be up there.
Oh well, we'll see how the bcs ranks them

ARW3
11/2/2008, 09:02 AM
ESPN will always whore for USC. It's a ratings and a very sick man-boy Greek festival type of thing.

sendbaht
11/2/2008, 09:14 AM
TCU keeps winning...that helps us a bunch.... but I bet we end up 6th this week.

Jacie
11/2/2008, 09:24 AM
Re Texas: Right now it doesn't matter where the horns are ranked. Their fate now comes down to next week. Mack Brown will be burning up the phone lines to Stillwater trying to reach Gundy so he can give him advice on what/what not to do against Tech. If Tech wins then Texas is out as the South team in the Big XII CG.

There is another joker in the deck for Texas as well, the rest of their schedule is Baylor, Kansas, A&M. Don't laugh. Baylor took Missouri to the wire. Kansas isn't conceding anything and who gets up for Texas more than A&M? The horns lost their best DL last night. Yeah they have depth but not so much and Orakpo was a force to be reckoned with. The remainder of the Texas schedule is not the cakewalk some might think. A loss to any of those

stoopified
11/2/2008, 09:29 AM
That's exactly where my is at.

BOOMERConsidering how many times we have fallen below UT after beating them,I firmly believe UT belongs behind us.

BIG_IKE
11/2/2008, 09:30 AM
Texas can still go to the CCG if Tech wins. All it takes is for OU to win out...
Texas and OU will both have one conf loss and OsU and Tech will each have two...

soonermagicgirl
11/2/2008, 09:35 AM
That's exactly where my is at.

BOOMER

Same here.

SWFloridaSooner
11/2/2008, 09:45 AM
1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Texas Tech
4. Florida
5. Texas
6. Oklahoma

This is about where I expect it to end up as well. We beat a lesser Nebraska team and Florida pounded Georgia who was #1 in pre-seson polls.

PLaw
11/2/2008, 10:01 AM
What about florida? Their win today should land them in the top 5.

Uh, who did florida lose to?

It's too crowded at the top to give them a hall pass.

BOOMER

Jacie
11/2/2008, 11:47 AM
Texas can still go to the CCG if Tech wins. All it takes is for OU to win out...
Texas and OU will both have one conf loss and OsU and Tech will each have two...

I thought that was the only scenario (barring another Texas loss) that OU would go to Kansas City. The tie-breaker (highest rated team) would favor OU since they would leap Tech with a win over them and presumably, Tech will already be rated higher than Texas so . . .

Whet
11/2/2008, 12:03 PM
#7 in coaches poll, just out

Since71ASooner4Life
11/3/2008, 07:31 AM
#7 in coaches poll, just out

I usually look for stupidity in the AP, but I'm astounded that the Coaches poll would do that. Maybe it is a reflection of the less than dominating performance against OSU the week before, where you have a hard time taking down a #1 who wins, coupled with this loss. Still, the pass to Crabtree falls incomplete and all the pundits are flapping about how Texas just beat 4 top teams in a row and they are the unanimous #1. Oh well, it doesn't hurt that bad seeing Texas get back handed a good one :D