PDA

View Full Version : IN YOUR FACE

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/1/2008, 07:11 PM
**** YOU GUYS....BRENT VENABLE'S IS A DEFENSIVE GOD!!!

Curly Bill
11/1/2008, 07:20 PM
Oh man! Clemson better hire him while they might have a chance!

Please. :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/1/2008, 07:24 PM
VENABLES EXTENSION TIME!!!!

Curly Bill
11/1/2008, 07:28 PM
VENABLES EXTENSION TIME!!!!

Oh hell no!!!

mightysooner
11/2/2008, 12:05 AM
Emotional reaction.

Smoking a horrible Nebraska team doesn't make Venables a defensive god. Getting smoked in the last three BCS games doesn't make him a god either. When our defense consistently steps out on the field and stops people, I'll consider raising his stock again but I don't see that happening. We STILL give up waaaaay too many big plays on defense.

Rogue
11/2/2008, 12:12 AM
OU gave up 416 yards.
186 rushing, 230 passing.
Brent Venables is lucky he is on the same team as KW, Sam Bradford, DMurray, and JGresham.

birddog
Emotional reaction.

Smoking a horrible Nebraska team doesn't make Venables a defensive god. Getting smoked in the last three BCS games doesn't make him a god either. When our defense consistently steps out on the field and stops people, I'll consider raising his stock again but I don't see that happening. We STILL give up waaaaay too many big plays on defense.

n00b reaction.:)

Curly Bill
OU gave up 416 yards.
Brent Venables is lucky he is on the same team as KW, Sam Bradford, DMurray, and JGresham.

I agree with your statement.

BoonesFarmSooner
11/2/2008, 12:20 AM
Everyone was praising Venables last year on December 6th... Then that *next* game came...

Our defense played better tonight, but it was Nebraska. And Bob Stoops told Holly Rowe at halftime that our defense needed to play better.

Curly Bill
11/2/2008, 12:23 AM
Everyone was praising Venables last year on December 6th... Then that *next* game came...

Our defense played better tonight, but it was Nebraska. And Bob Stoops told Holly Rowe at halftime that our defense needed to play better.

Not everyone.

rainiersooner
11/2/2008, 12:54 AM
Maybe it was my imagination after reading D-Mack's posts this week, but I did think that we hit harder and with more aggression today than in other games....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/2/2008, 12:55 AM
120 of it was on 2 plays - brian jackson blowing coverage and biting on the underneath route and mike baloun knocking helu out of the grasp of 7 defenders.

80 of it was also on 2 blitzes - all out blitz and mccoy twists out of his lane for one of those long helu runs. the other was an all out blitz with clayton being stuck in coverage with a WR doing a crossing route.

RedstickSooner
11/2/2008, 12:57 AM
The defensive stats may've been poor today, but at least we seemed to be playing with intensity on defense. Baby steps, yo. Baby steps.

sooner59
11/2/2008, 01:00 AM
We gave up alot of yard but our first string D only gave up 21 points. I wish it was less but ill take it as progress compared with previous weeks. I was most unimpressed with Nic Harris's play. I watched him alot and he did not play well. And when he got taken out for Quentin Carter, Nic was yelling at his position coach. I am disappointed with him about that. I thought he was a better kid than that. I would have benched him for a while too if I were his coach, and if he yelled in my face he wouldn't be going back in either. I was really surprised by his lack of character today. I hope he straightens up.

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2008, 01:08 AM
OU gave up 416 yards.

Get real. The 1st team D only gave up 21 pts; and only a net 14 since they scored 7. From an emotional point of view, the first points were surrendered after the game had been decided at 35-0. There have been incremental improvements since the UT game. Kansas was 1 of 11 on 3rd down conversion; 5 takeaways against KSU, 4 take aways against NU w/ a pick 6. Far few big plays given to NU than the last 2 weeks. Box looks like he belongs on the field. NU is a decent team with a good offense that took TT to overtime in Lubbock. And yes we do have Sam and co., so we don't have to have USCs defense to win, but we still need to get better.

Curly Bill
11/2/2008, 01:10 AM
For those pointing out our defensive improvement since the whorn game...well, how could we not improve from that?

boomersooner28
11/2/2008, 01:12 AM
It sucks to be a defensive coordinator in the Big 12 right now.

The end.

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2008, 01:21 AM
For those pointing out our defensive improvement since the whorn game...well, how could we not improve from that?

Easy. Players could give up. Coaches could panic and make random changes to schemes and line-ups, offense and defense could start bickering and destroy team unity, etc. Look at Clemson, Auburn, Wiscy and even Mizzou looks a bit shakey now. I like the way we are responding to adversity; but the big tests are yet to come.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/2/2008, 01:24 AM
Maybe it was my imagination after reading D-Mack's posts this week, but I did think that we hit harder and with more aggression today than in other games....

You're right........BUT...we're also not wrapping up guys, throwing bodies at their legs, and still trying too hard for the big hit or the strip rather than the safe tackle. Fundamentals = lacking.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/2/2008, 01:29 AM
I thought Brent did a great job tonight, the defense was MUCH more aggressive. Most of our mistakes were being to aggressive and even Mike Stoops had that problem. Austin Box was much improved...Travis Lewis is going to be amazing. The secondary played well. The team is getting better every week. Stoops pulled off the dogs after the first quarter.

DangTire
11/2/2008, 02:29 AM
I thought Brent did a great job tonight, the defense was MUCH more aggressive. Most of our mistakes were being to aggressive and even Mike Stoops had that problem. Austin Box was much improved...Travis Lewis is going to be amazing. The secondary played well. The team is getting better every week. Stoops pulled off the dogs after the first quarter.

Is this the same stupid **** we saw after they beat TCU? Let's wait until they actually perform against a team with some actual talent which isn't going to happen. Enjoy the win until Tech leaves them tossing salad. We probably won't be hearing from you after that will we Ace? Enjoy the rose colored glasses while you can.

StoopTroup
11/2/2008, 02:35 AM
http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_blowout.jpg

The Maestro
11/2/2008, 08:42 AM
I saw improvement and that is to be expected. I like the plan better and Box seems to be getting more comfortable. Hey, even if our defense gives up yards, at least they forced TO's again and scored, too.

Start games with a 35-0 after 1 quarter and we can manage!

By the way, are the second half of our games really boring or what?

fadada1
11/2/2008, 08:55 AM
By the way, are the second half of our games really boring or what?

that's my only criticism of what we do (other than giving up some big plays). when you bring in your 2nd team, LET THEM PLAY BALL!!!! seriously, they could get one of us to hand off to madu for the entire 4th quarter. heaven forbid we need halzle to throw more than 4 times in a game. i don't give 2 sh*ts about not embarassing a team. nebraska still had their starting D in the game during the 4th quarter. they should be good enough to stop a 2nd/3rd string. simply put, we need our backups to get QUALITY reps in a game situation.

LET THEM PLAY!
LET THEM PLAY!

stoopified
11/2/2008, 11:55 AM
If you check NCAA defense stats ,there is no superior D anyehere in the Big 12.I haven't checked rush stats and considering te prevelance of passing they are almost irreleveat BUT here are the national pass D rankings of Big 12 teams (by yards allowed):

#72 Colorado
#79 aTm
#84 Nebraska
#89 K-State
#90 Oklahoma
#92 oSu
#96 Baylor
#!00 Texas Tech
#110 Kansas
#111 Iowa State
#113 Missou
#116 Texas
Imaginr that,nobody in the Big 12 can play pass D or just maybe the Pass O is just that good in the Big 12.

cheezyq
11/2/2008, 12:16 PM
If you check NCAA defense stats ,there is no superior D anyehere in the Big 12.I haven't checked rush stats and considering te prevelance of passing they are almost irreleveat BUT here are the national pass D rankings of Big 12 teams (by yards allowed):

#72 Colorado
#79 aTm
#84 Nebraska
#89 K-State
#90 Oklahoma
#92 oSu
#96 Baylor
#!00 Texas Tech
#110 Kansas
#111 Iowa State
#113 Missou
#116 Texas
Imaginr that,nobody in the Big 12 can play pass D or just maybe the Pass O is just that good in the Big 12.

The saddest part of that list - Nebraska has played us, and has played Missouri, and is STILL better than we are in pass defense. We're 5th on the list, and we won't play against the best offense in the league....OUrselves.

Honestly, you guys really saw improvement? What game were you watching? Yeah, I saw some good things out of some specific players, but in general I saw the same poor defense unable to make 3rd down stops and giving up big plays. We just got lucky on some turnovers early.

We go up 28-0 in the first 5 minutes....how on earth can we not anticipate the pass for the rest of the game? How do we give up long TDs when we KNOW they are going to throw the ball?

Rogue
11/2/2008, 12:31 PM
Venables' defenses haven't been consistent.
They can put together a good game. Or 2 or 3. But can't seem to do it week in and week out. That's what we need. Fercryinoutloud this is Oklahoma football we're talking about and this defense just isn't good enough.

Blues1
11/2/2008, 12:32 PM
that's my only criticism of what we do (other than giving up some big plays). when you bring in your 2nd team, LET THEM PLAY BALL!!!! seriously, they could get one of us to hand off to madu for the entire 4th quarter. heaven forbid we need halzle to throw more than 4 times in a game. i don't give 2 sh*ts about not embarassing a team. nebraska still had their starting D in the game during the 4th quarter. they should be good enough to stop a 2nd/3rd string. simply put, we need our backups to get QUALITY reps in a game situation.

LET THEM PLAY!
LET THEM PLAY!

I Agree -- If your 2nd or 3rd string you should have a chance to show off your talent - They came to OU to play Big Time Football, Let them have some great memories and feel what it is like to score touchdowns...~~~!

Rockin'

Rogue
11/2/2008, 12:34 PM
Get real. The 1st team D only gave up 21 pts...

I'm plenty real on this. This defense isn't good enough. Take this defense and put it with a mediocre offense and it gets lit up every week. Instead of just 1/2 the time. The only disadvantage is that our quick offense sometimes puts the D back on the field before they've caught their breath, an advantage to the opposing offense. Otherwise, these kids don't execute the fundamentals well enough. In a word...tackling.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/2/2008, 02:08 PM
Is this the same stupid **** we saw after they beat TCU? Let's wait until they actually perform against a team with some actual talent which isn't going to happen. Enjoy the win until Tech leaves them tossing salad. We probably won't be hearing from you after that will we Ace? Enjoy the rose colored glasses while you can.

Did Brent Venables rape you?...all 57 of your post have been about him. I mean not even one post about anything good, plus you insulted Badger which makes you a piece of crap to me regardless

StoopTroup
11/2/2008, 02:14 PM
Did Brent Venables rape you?...all 57 of your post have been about him. I mean not even one post about anything good, plus you insulted Badger which makes you a piece of crap to me regardless

:D

:pop:

boomersooner2001
11/2/2008, 02:28 PM
I saw improvement and that is to be expected. I like the plan better and Box seems to be getting more comfortable.

I noticed that Franks and Jackson were playing tight on the receivers, and not giving the cushion that we've seen most of the season. I don't remember seeing us do that much until last night. I sure liked seeing that, and hope BV continues to allow them to play like that.