PDA

View Full Version : Couch chiggers

Chuck Bao
11/1/2008, 05:41 PM
▶👆can chiggers live in your couch👆◀ (http://raboninco.com/4W9G)

I know this is a perfect setup for a copycat thread, but I want to know if anyone has ever had a problem with couch chiggers or carpet chiggers and what they did to solve the problem.

For three days already, all I have to do is sit down on my couch and I get covered in what looks like chigger bites. I’m not going anywhere near there again.

Nope is not getting bit, or if he is he is immune to it.

And, Thailand doesn’t even have chiggers.

This is a new couch and I’ve lived in this new condo for less than two months.

Yeah, I should have gone with leather, but Nope still feels pretty strongly that cows are our friends.

And, I don’t know how I got infested. Did the couch have like mite eggs in it when we bought it? Did we bring mites in with fresh fruit brought in from upcountry?

So, this is the infested couch. Should I burn it?

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/livingroom2.jpg

Rogue
11/1/2008, 05:47 PM
Fleas?
Spiders?
Allergy?

Turd_Ferguson
11/1/2008, 05:58 PM
soak the couch in bleach.

Curly Bill
11/1/2008, 06:00 PM
Soak it in gasoline...

...then set it afire...

...that'll kill couch chiggers, or anything else.

YWIA

Chuck Bao
11/1/2008, 06:00 PM
Fleas?
Spiders?
Allergy?

I have no allergies and it really looks like chigger bites with the swelling and hundreds of them in skin areas within two inches of the couch. No problem with any clothes covered areas or not within the two inches.

I could just wear warmups but I don't think that solves my problem. Unless you think they'll just die out.

I would be really freaked out if a mite infestation made it to my bed.

Turd_Ferguson
11/1/2008, 06:03 PM
I would be really freaked out if a mite infestation made it to my bed.They'd prolly be freaked out too:eek:

**rim shot** I'll be here all week:D

Chuck Bao
11/1/2008, 06:03 PM
Okay, one vote for bleach and one vote for gasoline and fire.

Would scotchguard kill like the tiny criters? I should have scotchguarded it already to protect the fabric.

Turd_Ferguson
11/1/2008, 06:05 PM
clear fingernail polish brushed on a chigger bite will suffocate the chigger. Try covering the whole couch with clear fingernail polish.

Curly Bill
11/1/2008, 06:05 PM
Would scotchguard kill like the tiny criters? I should have scotchguarded it already to protect the fabric.

It would certainly keep them tiny critters from becoming stained. :D

Chuck Bao
11/1/2008, 06:16 PM
One vote bleach, one vote gasoline and fire and one vote clear fingernail polish.

It would certainly keep them tiny critters from becoming stained. :D

But if they were stained, I may be able to see them.

And if I can see them, I would know where to apply the fingernail polish.

The gasoline and fire option is looking better and better.

Curly Bill
11/1/2008, 06:17 PM
One vote bleach, one vote gasoline and fire and one vote clear fingernail polish.

But if they were stained, I may be able to see them.

And if I can see them, I would know where to apply the fingernail polish.

The gasoline and fire option is looking better and better.

Knew you'd like that idea...

...that's why I'm here, to help people. :D

Flagstaffsooner
11/1/2008, 06:22 PM
Do they look like this?
http://www.topnews.in/usa/files/obama.jpg

Chuck Bao
11/1/2008, 06:22 PM
They'd prolly be freaked out too:eek:

**rim shot** I'll be here all week:D

You got that right. I'm such a freak in bed that I make all the bed bugs blush.

That didn't come out exactly like I thought it would. Ummm...never mind.

Tailwind
11/1/2008, 06:33 PM
TMI!!!!

LosAngelesSooner
11/1/2008, 06:55 PM
Are you sure it isn't an allergy? What is the couch made of? What is the filler? And where was it made/purchased?

SoonerJack
11/1/2008, 09:10 PM
Seriously, you might try fogging your apartment just in case. But it sure sounds like an allergy to either the fabric, dye, filling or something on your couch.

bluedogok
11/1/2008, 09:28 PM
Soak it in gasoline...

...then set it afire...

...that'll kill couch chiggers, or anything else.

YWIA

Now he doesn't live in West Virginia....

royalfan5
11/2/2008, 12:05 AM
If it is chiggers, nail polish will do the trick. On you, not on the couch.

OU-HSV
11/2/2008, 12:05 AM
About once a week or so, I seem to get a bite or two on my upper quad region. My wife never ends up with these bites. So I can't imagine my problem being bed chiggers or some sort or couch chiggers, since she's in the same bed as me and she's sits on the same couch as I do, yet she has no bites. So I've wondered if my office chair has something in it, or something in my car keeps biting me...or perhaps a spider is biting me while I'm in bed sleeping.
My problem is nowhere near what it sounds like you're facing, but it's still annoying to have a random bite show up once a week, and not know how to stop it.

Chuck Bao
11/2/2008, 12:13 AM
Seriously, you might try fogging your apartment just in case. But it sure sounds like an allergy to either the fabric, dye, filling or something on your couch.

Yeah, like an allergy to toxins released by flesh eating bugs.

Seriously, I played the couch potato there for almost two months until three days ago with no ill effects.

Did you know that chiggers (aka harvest mites) do not burrow into the skin. Instead the larvae “pierce the skin and inject powerful enzymes that digest cellular contents, which become liquified and are consumed by the larvae”.

The other bit of wisdom I got from Wikipedia is that they could carry diseases that I can’t even pronounce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_mite

Although the harvest mite chigger usually does not carry diseases in North American temperate climates, the mites are considered a dangerous pest in East Asia and the South Pacific because they often carry Rickettsia tsutsugamushi (Orientia tsutsugamushi), the tiny parasite that causes scrub typhus, which is known alternatively as the Japanese river disease, scrub disease, or tsutsugamushi. The mites are infected by the Rickettsia passed down from parent to offspring before eggs are laid in a process called transovarial transmission. Symptoms of scrub typhus in humans include fever, headache, muscle pain, cough, and gastrointestinal symptoms.

God gawd, I’m feeling sick.

Thank you Curly Bill and burn baby burn.

Curly Bill
11/2/2008, 12:15 AM
Yeah, like an allergy to toxins released by flesh eating bugs.

Seriously, I played the couch potato there for almost two months until three days ago with no ill effects.

Did you know that chiggers (aka harvest mites) do not burrow into the skin. Instead the larvae “pierce the skin and inject powerful enzymes that digest cellular contents, which become liquified and are consumed by the larvae”.

The other bit of wisdom I got from Wikipedia is that they could carry diseases that I can’t even pronounce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_mite

God gawd, I’m feeling sick.

Thank you Curly Bill and burn baby burn.

I'm just here to help. :D

Mjcpr
11/2/2008, 12:20 AM
I'm guessing it's crabs.

Chuck Bao
11/2/2008, 12:28 AM
I'm guessing it's crabs.

I've had crabs before and this is not...no you aren't going to pull me into that one. Nice try, Mjcpr.

Crabs you can like see, right? Mjcpr?

Mongo
11/2/2008, 12:31 AM
I got crabs on my eyebrows due to Mjcpr's uncleanliness. I couldnt see them for ****

Mjcpr
11/2/2008, 12:41 AM
I got crabs on my eyebrows due to Mjcpr's uncleanliness. I couldnt see them for ****

That's prolly 'cause you had balls in your eyes.

Mongo
11/2/2008, 12:45 AM
That's prolly 'cause you had balls in your eyes.

that is true. you are wise

Chuck Bao
11/2/2008, 01:14 AM
Ahem...I'm the one getting my *** bitten here and I'd rather it not be.

olevetonahill
11/2/2008, 01:15 AM
If your sure its Bites . Call an exterminator.

StoopTroup
11/2/2008, 02:32 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Dali4/graphics/Crabs.jpg

Chuck Bao
11/2/2008, 03:01 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Dali4/graphics/Crabs.jpg

That's nice, ST. You've got friends.

Now, can you focus on me?

StoopTroup
11/2/2008, 03:00 PM
That's nice, ST. You've got friends.

Now, can you focus on me?