PDA

View Full Version : 4 out of 5 "experts"

Sooner in Tampa
10/31/2008, 09:59 PM
Pick the sand aggies to beat the shorthorns.

Damn...I suck...I really want the sand aggies to win.

Bless me father for I have sinned.

BTW...met IRONHORSESOONER today...great guy. Nice killing 45 minutes with him talking all things Sooner.

okiewaker
10/31/2008, 10:10 PM
I'm no expert but my suckervisor is a horn fan and I sent him a letter today which will arrive on Monday. On the outside of the envelope I wrote " sorry for your horns".

OUHOMER
11/1/2008, 08:12 AM
Vegas is going with tx -3,

Which experts are you talking about.
Follow the money, The talking heads love to try and pick an upset, it makes them look like a genus. and if it doesn't work out they just jump back on the band wagon of the winning team.

The Preach Man
11/1/2008, 09:50 AM
Vegas is going with tx -3,

Follow the money, The talking heads love to try and pick an upset, it makes them look like a genus. and if it doesn't work out they just jump back on the band wagon of the winning team.

Vegas doesnt pick the teams that they think will win/lose. They put the lines to get people to bet the way they want. There is a difference. The 'talking' heads have a lot to do with a line IMO. It's kind of like the stock market. It goes off of emotion quite a bit.

tooslow
11/1/2008, 11:00 AM

Very true! Hardly an article was written about Texas before the RRS, now they're plastered all over the place as the flavor of the week, until they lose. How many of the mainstream sports sites predicted Texas beating OU? NONE! That's the first time I can recall that every so called "expert" from ESPN, CNNSI, FOXSPORTS, etc, picked the same team to win in the RRS. I'd have to go with Texas winning this one. Tech has looked good for what, the past 2 weeks? The big factor is that most people are picking Tech to win. That would make me think Texas will be fired up to prove a point.

OUHOMER
11/1/2008, 11:08 AM
Vegas doesnt pick the teams that they think will win/lose. They put the lines to get people to bet the way they want. There is a difference. The 'talking' heads have a lot to do with a line IMO. It's kind of like the stock market. It goes off of emotion quite a bit.

Sure they do, they arent going to start with sucker bets, they are going to even the playing field by giving points. But i understand they will adjust the points depending on where the moneys coming from. But they are in a since picking the winners

85sooners
11/1/2008, 11:52 AM
:confused:

IronHorseSooner
11/1/2008, 11:56 AM
Pick the sand aggies to beat the shorthorns.

Damn...I suck...I really want the sand aggies to win.

Bless me father for I have sinned.

BTW...met IRONHORSESOONER today...great guy. Nice killing 45 minutes with him talking all things Sooner.

As I told Sooner in Tampa yesterday, Guns Up, because you have no choice!

tommieharris91
11/1/2008, 11:59 AM
Sure they do, they arent going to start with sucker bets, they are going to even the playing field by giving points. But i understand they will adjust the points depending on where the moneys coming from. But they are in a since picking the winners

No, no, no. Vegas opens lines based on probabilities of a team winning. The closer a teams estimated chances of winning to 50%, the closer the line is to 0. They usually aim to get 50% of the money on one side and the other half of the money on the other side.

Spray
11/1/2008, 12:15 PM
So why do they call one a "favorite" and one an "underdog"? To the layman, like myself, that sounds like picking a winner. I can never wrap my mind around this.

Vegas cornfuses me.

OUHOMER
11/1/2008, 01:10 PM
No, no, no. Vegas opens lines based on probabilities of a team winning.

Sounds like they are picking the favorite too me :confused:

The Preach Man
11/1/2008, 03:21 PM
It doesnt matter to me one way or the other but keep this in mind. Vegas only cares about the money they make, not who the 'favorite' is. The fact that the lines move proves that they are making the lines based on what they think people will bet and not on who they think will win. It's pretty simple.

Sooner in Tampa
11/2/2008, 08:40 AM
DAMN...those lackeys @ CBSSportsline.com got it right