PDA

View Full Version : Ya'll seen this?.......

A Sooner in Texas
10/31/2008, 08:22 PM
http://www.newsok.com/clemson-considering-venables/article/3317753/?custom_click=lead_story_title

OU's Brent Venables under consideration at Clemson?
By Jake Trotter
Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables is believed to be under consideration for the Clemson head coaching vacancy, Rivals.com’s Tom Dienhart reported Friday.

Dienhart, citing unnamed sources, wrote Clemson has already contacted Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster about replacing Tommy Bowden, who stepped down Oct. 13.

Others named in the report include Venables, Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, former Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin, TCU coach Gary Patterson and Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson.

Tiger officials have said they won't hire a new coach until after the season ends.

JLEW1818
10/31/2008, 08:40 PM
Muschamp would be a mile ahead of him in the running's.

A Sooner in Texas
10/31/2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah, but Texas may just handcuff him to DKR so he can't go. :D

Venables, on the other hand.....who knows? ;)

85sooners
10/31/2008, 08:49 PM
:P

Boomer38Sooner
10/31/2008, 09:13 PM
Venables at Clemson? Shouldn't they go after a head coach with an offensive mindset?

okiewaker
10/31/2008, 09:38 PM
I don't know. Bob was neither and he worked out fine.

tommieharris91
10/31/2008, 09:59 PM
Heh, Venables might have the weakest resume on that list.

Jacie
10/31/2008, 10:08 PM
Muschamp may be the flavor-of-the-month but there's an intangible attached to any hire from Bob Stoops staff and that is pedigree.

Three of five former B.S. assistants now head coaches could be graded as a good choice by the respective schools. The ballots are still out on Long and Pelini, though Bo is close to becoming the hire NU envisions him to be.

One of two former Mack Brown assistants now a head coach have flunked and the ballot is still out on the other.

Then again, maybe all of this only matters to us fans.

Scott D
10/31/2008, 10:23 PM
Muschamp may be the flavor-of-the-month but there's an intangible attached to any hire from Bob Stoops staff and that is pedigree.

Three of five former B.S. assistants now head coaches could be graded as a good choice by the respective schools. The ballots are still out on Long and Pelini, though Bo is close to becoming the hire NU envisions him to be.

One of two former Mack Brown assistants now a head coach have flunked and the ballot is still out on the other.

Then again, maybe all of this only matters to us fans.

why do you hate Kevin Sumlin?

Boomer38Sooner
10/31/2008, 11:30 PM
I think Mack Brown would give up his left arm to keep Muschamp in Austin

Curly Bill
10/31/2008, 11:50 PM

I'd give my left arm to have Venables go to Clemson. :D

misplacedsooner
11/1/2008, 01:05 AM
speculation...i heard a interview with terry don phillips, the ad at clemson and former ad in stillwater and got the feeling he had been talking to gundy about a job. hmmm

adoniijahsooner
11/1/2008, 01:10 AM

Muschamp's D is not performing any better than ours, i guess perception is reality.

OU_Sooners75
11/1/2008, 02:51 AM
Muschamp would be a mile ahead of him in the running's.

Not necessarily.

Muschamp has just been a big name for 2-3 years. And to be honest, his defense at Texass is not that great.

BV does have his faults in my eyes...but he is a damn good coach, LIKE I HAVE MENTIONED. If I were an AD. I would have BV ahead of BM at this point!

Fraggle145
11/1/2008, 04:05 AM
I think the ACC may be the best spot to land as a new head coach right now... The league hasnt sorted itself out yet since the many coaching shakeups it has already had. If he goes I think he might be able to do really well, there is good talent there and a weak league.

olevetonahill
11/1/2008, 05:26 AM
Will Yall Bow yer heads ?;)

AlbqSooner
11/1/2008, 06:15 AM
Will Yall Bow yer heads ?;)

Cuz OU_Sooners 75 had a BM?:D

OUHOMER
11/1/2008, 08:20 AM
speculation...i heard a interview with terry don phillips, the ad at clemson and former ad in stillwater and got the feeling he had been talking to gundy about a job. hmmm

Never happen, Mike Gundy is at sillywater until he is fired. :D

Dan Thompson
11/1/2008, 11:09 AM
BV willl get a big pay raise to stay.

On a different note, I would like to see two new rules:

No coachs can have there names in the media, for new coaching positions, before the Jan 15th.

College players can not play in the NFL until their eligibility has be used.

PLaw
11/1/2008, 11:44 AM
BV does have his faults in my eyes...but he is a damn good coach, LIKE I HAVE MENTIONED. If I were an AD. I would have BV ahead of BM at this point!

Not to be confrontive, but I would like understand more why you believe BV is a good coach. Would you please do me the favor of putting your reasons down?

BOOMER

MyT Oklahoma
11/1/2008, 04:14 PM
BV willl get a big pay raise to stay.

On a different note, I would like to see two new rules:

No coachs can have there names in the media, for new coaching positions, before the Jan 15th.

College players can not play in the NFL until their eligibility has be used.

If my memory serves me right.. your latter rule has already been settled by a federal court.. and that's why players can leave early.

auto
11/1/2008, 04:22 PM
I'd give my left arm to have Venables go to Clemson. :D

Hell, I would give your right arm if BV would head to Clemson.:D

Curly Bill
11/1/2008, 04:27 PM
I've heard Mike Leach's name thrown out in regard to Clemson...I have not heard BV's name mentioned.