PDA

View Full Version : Tipping question for restaurant & food service aficiondoes.

TUSooner
10/31/2008, 08:32 AM
Mrs TU's school ordered about $700 worth of food from a restaurant. The restaurant added a $50 delivery charge. Does the delivery guy still get a tip? Or is that covered by the delivery charge? I always like to take care of service folks, but that $50 delivery charge makes me wonder if he or she has already been taken care of.

SoonerInFla
10/31/2008, 08:42 AM
The only sure way to find out would be to ask the restaurant. My guess is that is their charge and the driver gets nothing from that.

Crimsontothecore
10/31/2008, 08:47 AM
I agree. I would still tip the driver.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/31/2008, 08:47 AM
The only sure way to find out would be to ask the restaurant. My guess is that is their charge and the driver gets nothing from that.

thats my guess as well

badger
10/31/2008, 09:01 AM
It's also a good idea to ask servers, hair stylists, etc. if tip money really goes to them or if it goes to the business. Sure, it's easy for them to keep cash tips left on tables or that you personally hand to them, but who uses cash anymore?

I highly suspect that sometimes when tip money is designated on a credit card receipt that the restaurant keeps it all and shortchanges the person it's supposed to go to.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2008, 09:04 AM
Tip 'em.

The delivery charge pays for the vehicle, fuel, employee, etc...

TUSooner
10/31/2008, 09:18 AM
Tip 'em.

The delivery charge pays for the vehicle, fuel, employee, etc...

Pending confirmation, let's assume they will tip the deliverer.
HOW MUCH?
15%? (I mean, it's not like he hovered silently and invisibly near the table yet anticipated every need before it was spoken.)

The fate of Western Civilization hangs in the balance!

soonerboomer93
10/31/2008, 09:53 AM
It's also a good idea to ask servers, hair stylists, etc. if tip money really goes to them or if it goes to the business. Sure, it's easy for them to keep cash tips left on tables or that you personally hand to them, but who uses cash anymore?

I highly suspect that sometimes when tip money is designated on a credit card receipt that the restaurant keeps it all and shortchanges the person it's supposed to go to.

I think that would be highly unethical, possibly illegal depending on the establishment, and policies. Since servers are specifically allowed to be paid less then minimum wage because the tips are used to supplement them back to above that figure.

I know some restaraunts utilize a mandatory tip pool, where the servers all contribute part of their tips that go to the other staff.

Personally, I almost always have some cash on me.

King Crimson
10/31/2008, 09:57 AM
Pending confirmation, let's assume they will tip the deliverer.
HOW MUCH?
15%? (I mean, it's not like he hovered silently and invisibly near the table yet anticipated every need before it was spoken.)

The fate of Western Civilization hangs in the balance!

i used to work in catering and 15% (the 50$ delivery charge is not something the driver will see, i'd guess) is probably OK. if the guy helped you set up, and get things going maybe 20%. don't sweat it too much. better, is just give him 50$ hard cash and let him pocket it.

8timechamps
10/31/2008, 09:59 AM
Please tell me that it was a large group.

Otherwise, you may want to take Mrs. TU's credit card.

Turd_Ferguson
10/31/2008, 10:23 AM
I always fill in the tipping section of my CC receipt with, "Never pet a dog that's on fire".

sooneron
10/31/2008, 10:31 AM
If the guy just drives the stuff over and drops it off, 15% is quite a bit. Would you give a pizza delivery dude 15% on a $20 pizza? YOu might as well go to the restaurant and give a waiter 15-20% for actually waiting on you.
I would also gauge it by how long he's there and how much crap he has to carry.

Taxman71
10/31/2008, 10:44 AM
I always fill in the tipping section of my CC receipt with, "Never pet a dog that's on fire".

I prefer "Don't play leapfrog with unicorns".

As a former waiter and insane overtipper, 15% for delivery is grossly too much unless they setup, serve, cleanup, etc. Especially on a tab that high which would be in the $100 range.

I always like to tip in cash whether it be waiter, hair cutter, etc. If they choose not to report it, it's like you gave them an extra 25%.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2008, 12:58 PM
If the guy just drives the stuff over and drops it off, 15% is quite a bit. Would you give a pizza delivery dude 15% on a $20 pizza? YOu might as well go to the restaurant and give a waiter 15-20% for actually waiting on you.
I would also gauge it by how long he's there and how much crap he has to carry.

Um...

Yeah Ron, all the time.

$3 ain't gonna break me and d00d is likely a pizza delivery guy in order to take care of something else more important...like a college education. He/She is in the wind/rain/snow, I am in my boxers.
Since I live in Nompton, it has just become normal to be supportive, unlike the aforementioned boxers.

IB4OU2
10/31/2008, 01:04 PM
Mrs TU's school ordered about $700 worth of food from a restaurant. The restaurant added a $50 delivery charge. Does the delivery guy still get a tip? Or is that covered by the delivery charge? I always like to take care of service folks, but that $50 delivery charge makes me wonder if he or she has already been taken care of.

Go ahead OSU grads need all the help they can get...

badger
10/31/2008, 01:33 PM
In any event, I recommend additional tippin' for many reasons:

First, you know minimum wage workers need the money so it's a nice thing to do.

Next, tippin' well ensures better service in the future - faster deliveries, better service and more attention.

As such, tippin' poorly may also ensure worse or no service in the future. You never want to be known as "that guy" or "that house" that doesn't tip or doesn't tip well.

Jimminy Crimson
10/31/2008, 03:28 PM
Most places, once you cross a certain price point (which 700 smackers should do...), will drop the 'delivery charge' or whatnot...

I'd give the dood 20 or 40 bones, though.

GottaHavePride
10/31/2008, 08:16 PM

Negative, Ghost Rider.

When you cash out at the end of the day at most places, here's what happens:

Total sales for the day
+ 1% of sales as tip-out to batender (optional)
+ 1% of sales as tip-out to bussing staff (optional)
- checks
- credit card receipts (including tips)
= cash owed to the restaurant.

So it's adjusted that whatever you were tipped on the credit cards you get to keep as cash. In fact, I had many days where my sales were almost totally via credit cards, so the restaurant had to pay out cash to ME at the end of my shift.

Okla-homey
10/31/2008, 08:45 PM

I'd have given him a tenner.

swardboy
10/31/2008, 08:48 PM
Say, "Thank you very much for your service. I'm going to take your tip and give it to someone who needs it more."

That's what Obama would do.

tommieharris91
10/31/2008, 09:57 PM
Say, "Thank you very much for your service. I'm going to take your tip and give it to someone who needs it more."

Actually, the pizza delivery guys are some of the people that the wealth would be spread to. $$$ FOR ALL PEOPLE!!!

Cam
11/1/2008, 09:59 AM
When I delivered, I had to pay for my own gas. I always tip the delivery guy separately with cash.

sooneron
11/1/2008, 11:34 AM
Um...

Yeah Ron, all the time.

$3 ain't gonna break me and d00d is likely a pizza delivery guy in order to take care of something else more important...like a college education. He/She is in the wind/rain/snow, I am in my boxers.
Since I live in Nompton, it has just become normal to be supportive, unlike the aforementioned boxers.
There's supportive and then there's supportive. Odds are that guy has about 6 deliveries to get out in the hour or so that they're away from the restaurant. I guess 30 bucks an hour should be the norm for a pizza delivery type. :rolleyes:
I delivered for a pharmacy in Norman for years and here I am bringing people something that they might acutally need. I may have gotten 5 bucks in tips in a week and I was punctual as all hades. I didn't expect it, but it was nice when I got a tip. I sure didn't expect it, especially a percentage of what was delivered.
Like I said, you might as well go to the restaurant and have someone fill your coke when it's empty and bring you parm cheese.

King Crimson
11/1/2008, 12:07 PM
my usual delivery pie comes from a local joint. it's usually 15.57 for 16" two topping....and i write the check for 17.57.

though, while i'm loyal to this place the last two times the pizza was a little undercooked...so the crust didn't have the crispiness you want and that bums me out....so, i may go with the other good place next time (sort of probationary measures).

Frozen Sooner
11/1/2008, 12:12 PM

Or you could just punch the pizza guy in the face, bitch about how someone living in Pakistan would do the job cheaper than he would, then set fire to a pizza place owned by a different chain.

That's the Republican way, after all.

:D

sooneron
11/2/2008, 02:51 PM
I'd have given him a hummer.

:eek: