PDA

View Full Version : What should Ted Stevens do?

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:14 PM
As already posted by SoonerStormchaser, US Senator Ted Steves (R-AK) was convicted earlier this week of seven counts of failing to report substantial gifts on financial disclosures. These are felony counts and carry a maximum sentence of five years in jail apiece.

Stevens claims that he was not given a fair trial and is appealing the verdict.

Several high-profile Republicans (including McCain and Palin) have called for him to resign his Senate seat and withdraw from his reelection bid. Stevens has said that he will not withdraw or resign.

Now, here's the dilemma:

Should Stevens resign and withdraw now, it leaves Democrat Mark Begich virtually unopposed to replace Stevens in the Senate. The deadline to replace him on the ballot passed several weeks ago.

Should Stevens hang on, somehow win, and then be expelled by the Senate (which takes a 2/3 majority), then the state will hold a special election within 90 days to replace him-which would give the Republicans time to nominate another candidate. The Governor used to have the power to name a replacement-however, that was taken away by referendum when Frank Murkowski replaced himself with his daughter.

The thought up here is that if Steves DOES win reelection and gets forced out, and Sarah Palin isn't busy redoing the Naval Observatory, then Palin will run (and probably win.)

What say you?

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:16 PM
By the way, I'm honestly curious. Personally, I'd like to see him resign right now because it means my candidate cruises to victory (which he probably will anyhow-amazing what your opponent being convicted of seven felonies does for your polling numbers.) I just think this is an interesting instance of electoral strategy.

Jerk
10/30/2008, 07:22 PM
Is he friends with Bush?

He can hope for a pardon. I don't think that would be the right thing for Bush to do, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

King Crimson
10/30/2008, 07:24 PM
im confused, what's the option here? for Stevens? the Palin runs and wins thing confuses me.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:27 PM
im confused, what's the option here? for Stevens? the Palin runs and wins thing confuses me.

Either bow out of the race now, which leaves Mark Begich basically running unopposed (but seems to be what everyone's pressuring him to do) or stay in the race on the off-chance that if he wins it allows another Republican to run in 90 days. If Palin isn't the VP, then it's likely she'd be the candidate in the special election.

Okla-homey
10/30/2008, 07:27 PM
Is he friends with Bush?

He can hope for a pardon. I don't think that would be the right thing for Bush to do, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

I have a friend in the federal PD's office here in Tulsa and he tells me W has been pardoning folks like mad for a couple months already.

For the record, Stevens should resign. See, that must remain the diff between the GOP and the Dems. GOP candidates who get caught with their hand in the cookie jar should be humiliated and imprisoned. Unlike that donk congressman d00d in NOLA who stashed thousands in his freezer yet still walks free and remains in the House.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:28 PM
Is he friends with Bush?

Heh.

He's been a Republican Senator for about 40 years from an oil-producing state. You better believe he's friends with Bush.

And yeah, I think that Bush will pardon him as one of his outgoing acts. Which I honestly think would be the right thing to do. The destruction of his political career and reputation is punishment enough for Stevens.

Okla-homey
10/30/2008, 07:31 PM
Heh.

He's been a Republican Senator for about 40 years from an oil-producing state. You better believe he's friends with Bush.

And yeah, I think that Bush will pardon him as one of his outgoing acts. Which I honestly think would be the right thing to do. The destruction of his political career and reputation is punishment enough for Stevens.

You realize of course, a pardon wipes the slate clean. Its as though the crime were never committed. Thus, he could run again.

King Crimson
Either bow out of the race now, which leaves Mark Begich basically running unopposed (but seems to be what everyone's pressuring him to do) or stay in the race on the off-chance that if he wins it allows another Republican to run in 90 days. If Palin isn't the VP, then it's likely she'd be the candidate in the special election.

understood. so, why wouldn't Stevens stay in the race? better said, why does he bow out? what's the motivation to not stay in the race...if the indirect effect is that he can make an opportunity for the GOP/Palin.

Frozen Sooner
I have a friend in the federal PD's office here in Tulsa and he tells me W has been pardoning folks like mad for a couple months already.

For the record, Stevens should resign. See, that must remain the diff between the GOP and the Dems. GOP candidates who get caught with their hand in the cookie jar should be humiliated and imprisoned. Unlike that donk congressman d00d in NOLA who stashed thousands in his freezer yet still walks free and remains in the House.

Seriously, did you wake up on the Tuba side of the bed or something?

Okla-homey
10/30/2008, 07:32 PM
understood. so, why wouldn't Stevens stay in the race? better said, why does he bow out? what's the motivation to not stay in the race...if the indirect effect is that he can make an opportunity for the GOP/Palin.

because just maybe, he retains a shred of respect for the institution. A long shot I admit, but there it is.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:33 PM
You realize of course, a pardon wipes the slate clean. Its as though the crime were never committed. Thus, he could run again.

That's amazing that the pardon pen has the power to go into people's brains and erase the knowledge that he was convicted of seven felonies, pardoned or not.

He can actually run whether he's been pardoned or not. Nothing bars a felon from running for Senate. In fact, he can even vote for himself right up until sentencing, and once his sentence is up he'll be able to vote in AK again. Winning and/or restoring his legacy is a different issue.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:34 PM

Well, if he steps down he saves the GOP some embarassment and some personal pride.

Okla-homey
10/30/2008, 07:35 PM
Seriously, did you wake up on the Tuba side of the bed or something?

no dammit. he's a convicted felon who took bribes while in office. The Romans used to tie people like in a sack with a wild animal and drop them in the river. He's scum. Just like Duke Cunningham. They should be roomies in the federal hoosegow.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:37 PM
I happen to agree with that sentiment. I'm just not sure why you've been extra-vitriolic towards Democrats today.

Okla-homey
10/30/2008, 07:37 PM
That's amazing that the pardon pen has the power to go into people's brains and erase the knowledge that he was convicted of seven felonies, pardoned or not.

I forget, is Marion Barry mayor of DC these days, or merely on the city council?

King Crimson
10/30/2008, 07:38 PM
Well, if he steps down he saves the GOP some embarassment and some personal pride.

right, and to Homey's similar point above, but i was working your statement that he felt he'd been wronged (cough cough)....so the "pride" move would be to stand for it....was my thought.

as a matter of "principle" regardless however implausible.

Turd_Ferguson
10/30/2008, 07:40 PM
I forget, is Marion Barry mayor of DC these days, or merely on the city council?werd!

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:40 PM
You'd be pretty hard-pressed to find electorates more different that Washington DC and Alaska. Was Berry pardoned?

And as stated before, the pardon has nothing to do with him running again. Dude, he's gonna be 90 in the next election cycle. 90. He ain't going to jail, pardon or no. He's still eligble to run, pardon or no.

For him, losing the respect of the people up here hurts a LOT.

Okla-homey
10/30/2008, 07:42 PM
I happen to agree with that sentiment. I'm just not sure why you've been extra-vitriolic towards Democrats today.

Perhaps because I'm sick and tired of the mainstream media's unabashed and unapologetic extreme bias for the freshman Senator from Honolulu by way of Illinois. At least if right-thinking Americans who don't think government exists to provide for them are as p1ssed as I am, with a correspondingly increased turn-out on Nov 4, it'll have been worth it.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:42 PM
Anyhow, Homey, thank you for your answer. I respect the integrity from which it comes-that advantage is not worth doing the dishonorable thing.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:44 PM
Perhaps because I'm sick and tired of the mainstream media's unabashed and unapologetic extreme bias for the freshman Senator from Honolulu by way of Illinois. At least if right-thinking Americans who don't think government exists to provide for them are as p1ssed as I am, with a correspondingly increased turn-out on Nov 4, it'll have been worth it.

Dude, what are you worrying about? You called the election like four weeks ago. You should be totally stress-free.

Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. :D

NYC Poke
10/30/2008, 07:45 PM

He could just commute the sentence, like he did with Scooter.

Okla-homey
10/30/2008, 07:48 PM
see below

You'd be pretty hard-pressed to find electorates more different that Washington DC and Alaska. Was Berry pardoned? No. But the point is, a dazed electorate who thinks their cad is a good cad who brings home the bacon (pork) can look past a lot of dirty deeds

And as stated before, the pardon has nothing to do with him running again. Dude, he's gonna be 90 in the next election cycle. 90. Four words: Strom Thurmond, Robert Byrd. He ain't going to jail, pardon or no. He's still eligble to run, pardon or no. Under the Consitution, if the new Senate refused to seat him according to their rules , he can't be a Senator. Do you honestly believe they would?

For him, losing the respect of the people up here hurts a LOT.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 07:54 PM
I don't understand your question-do I think the Senate would seat Stevens, pardon or no? I'd have a hard time thinking that they'd refuse to seat him one way or another if he won election six years from now.

As for Byrd and Thurmon, they weren't running against an incumbent when they stood for election at 90. But point taken.

Okla-homey
10/30/2008, 07:55 PM
right, and to Homey's similar point above, but i was working your statement that he felt he'd been wronged (cough cough)....so the "pride" move would be to stand for it....was my thought.

as a matter of "principle" regardless however implausible.

are you off your meds, or just especially vapid tonight?

olevetonahill
10/30/2008, 08:09 PM
If it was Me? Id Continue to run . and Continue to appeal .
jes sayin

Turd_Ferguson
10/30/2008, 08:11 PM
You 'tourney's and your damn fancy schmancy words.

King Crimson
10/30/2008, 08:30 PM
are you off your meds, or just especially vapid tonight?

i think you've misunderstood the post and gone ad hominem....hot rod.

soonerscuba
10/30/2008, 11:45 PM
I doubt Palin would want a Senate seat, what with Biden in there bossing her around and what not.

47straight
10/31/2008, 01:24 AM
He seems like such a dirty SOB, what he "should" do doesn't seem to matter to him.

Frozen Sooner
10/31/2008, 01:46 AM
Well, he definitely isn't stepping down. Went to his debate vs. Mark Begich tonight. Not only did he emphatically state he wouldn't step down, he said that Palin, McCain, and McConnell were just saying he should resign because they were trying to win an election.

He also claimed he was not convicted. Not sure how he got to that conclusion.

SicEmBaylor
10/31/2008, 02:05 AM
Ted Stevens is a disgrace to the Senate and a disgrace to the party and that was well before he was even implicated in a corruption scandal. He should have resigned long ago. Good freaking riddance. He's a major league SOB.

soonerboomer93
10/31/2008, 03:12 AM

He can actually run whether he's been pardoned or not. Nothing bars a felon from running for Senate. In fact, he can even vote for himself right up until sentencing, and once his sentence is up he'll be able to vote in AK again. Winning and/or restoring his legacy is a different issue.

Dude, you're completely forgetting the fact that people have about a 2 second attention/caring span.

olevetonahill
10/31/2008, 03:44 AM
http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/1787/2791011510032786982S600x600Q85.jpg
Nuff said

King Crimson
10/31/2008, 03:46 AM
http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/1787/2791011510032786982S600x600Q85.jpg
Nuff said

i thought that was "blame the media".

SoonerStormchaser
10/31/2008, 09:01 AM
Frankly, I fail to see what the big deal is here.

He was convicted of being a corrupt politician. So? Aren't they all?

Half a Hundred
10/31/2008, 11:34 AM
Frankly, I fail to see what the big deal is here.

He was convicted of being a corrupt politician. So? Aren't they all?

Yeah, but most of them have the good sense to not get caught. The fact that he did get caught shows that he's slipping in his old age.

It's probably best for everyone if he just fades off into the sunset (which being Alaska, will take a damn long time)

Frozen Sooner
10/31/2008, 02:10 PM
Looks like the point is moot anyhow. R2000's new polling has Stevens down 22.

Further confirming my point that there's a solid 35% up here who'd vote for a clown who's actively raping someone during a debate so long as they have an (R).

(Which is not to say that there's not a good 15%-20% up here who'd do the same if they clown had a (D)).

JohnnyMack
10/31/2008, 02:16 PM
He'll stay in. Lose. Get pardoned by Bush. Go count his money. The End.