PDA

View Full Version : Thunder are a project...

Soonerus
10/29/2008, 11:15 PM
...I don't know if I just got used to Hornets coaches, players and game entertainment but it is going to take me a while to get used to the Thunder. At this point I am not a fan of Carlisemo, the players look pretty bad and the entertainment is C-level....but we will see...

Soonermagik
10/30/2008, 09:05 AM
They are not the hornets for sure, but give them time. This team is young and over time I'm hoping Clay will add talent to this team like they did for the Hornets.

We had great seats last night, and even though we lost we still had a good time. I'm just glad the NBA is here and is helping make OKC a big league city.

DrRube
10/30/2008, 01:11 PM
They have a ton of cap money in the next couple years. a fleet of young players now and a future that will include a couple lottery picks (for this year, probably next year, and potentially Phx's unprotected 1st rounder in a couple years, since they are getting older).

Imagine a bunch of this team, with Blake, and a free agent like Rip Hamilton. And two more first-rounders.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/30/2008, 03:38 PM
They are not the hornets for sure, but give them time. This team is young and over time I'm hoping Clay will add talent to this team like they did for the Hornets.

We had great seats last night, and even though we lost we still had a good time. I'm just glad the NBA is here and is helping make OKC a big league city.

That's exactly how I feel.

BigRedJed
10/30/2008, 04:14 PM
I agree about them being a project, and I also don't believe that PJ is the long-term solution. I hope he proves me wrong.

But a word on the in-game entertainment and other stuff: while I do the same thing, having been spoiled by the Hornets, it's really not fair to compare the two for off-the-court stuff, at least at this point.

I hadn't really thought about it until recently, but the Sonics/Thunder move was actually far more disruptive from a corporate standpoint than the Hornets move. This despite the fact that the Hornets move looks on the surface like it would have been more disruptive, considering the circumstances. The Hornets had no warning, were uprooted, staff didn't know the status of their homes, etc., etc. Sonics staff, OTOH, had some months to plan, and actually nearly two years to consider the possibility.

The difference is that nearly the entire Hornets staff came here in '05, because they had nothing to stay for. The Thunder, OTOH, only has about 30% of the staff from last year. Many, many stayed in Seattle or found other jobs. So 2/3 of the staff here is new to this team, and most of those people are new to the NBA. They have a TON of local hires. Which is a great thing, long term. But for the time being, you're seeing a whole bunch of on-the-job-training. Heck, they still don't have some of their hires in place, even today.

So expect the in-game and off-the-court experience to lag a bit compared to the Hornets, whose organization was staffed with seasoned professionals. But you should also expect to see dramatic improvement throughout the season, as they all get comfortable in their roles. Hopefully the same will happen for the team, too.

Ton Loc
10/31/2008, 01:29 PM
Bigger Project?

Thunder

or

Sooner Defense

I vote Thunder. However they both share the bad habit of letting people run wide open down the middle.

BigRedJed
10/31/2008, 01:38 PM
The great thing about NBA hoop is that one or two player changes can change a cellar-dweller into a strong playoff team. You have to have committed ownership (I think we have it) a good GM (remains to be seen) and a good coach (remains to be seen). The other good thing is that cellar-dwellers can draft superstars.

All_Day_28
10/31/2008, 02:43 PM
I say we bring in Avery Johnson. what do you guys think? we have a young team and he is a young FIERY coach.. what say you?