PDA

View Full Version : OU/Bama in the Fiesta Bowl...

Sabanball
10/29/2008, 08:01 PM
is the latest projection from Rivals. I guess they've written us both off as having any chance at being in the title game...No surprise, it's official-- Penn St is now the Barack Obama of the national sports media...

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=869629

85sooners
10/29/2008, 08:11 PM
:pop:

JLEW1818
10/29/2008, 08:43 PM
**** obama

swardboy
10/29/2008, 08:52 PM
We're being Baracked?

Boomer38Sooner
10/29/2008, 09:22 PM
That sounds reasonable to me because I don't see Texas losing twice, but I do see them loosing this weekend to Tech. Penn State will probably roll through the rest of their schedule

MojoRisen
10/30/2008, 09:37 AM
Don't loose faith yet, 3 way tie and big 12 championship for us is still possible.

Bama loose to LSU and beat Florida/georgia- we pass them..

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/30/2008, 09:44 AM
Don't loose faith yet, 3 way tie and big 12 championship for us is still possible.

Bama loose to LSU and beat Florida/georgia- we pass them..

That requires Tech to only lose to us if they lose to texass. They still have to beat osuck and not have their yearly breakdown against a sub par team. There's still a ton of "if's" and "but's" but still possible.

badger
10/30/2008, 10:56 AM
So long as we don't get a crap opponent like BSU or WVU again, the Fiesta Bowl might be tolerable if we play a team like Bammer.

tfoolry
10/30/2008, 10:56 AM
Iowa over Penn State

Dan Thompson
10/30/2008, 10:57 AM
If a OU-UT rematch is a bad idea for some, why is a USC-tOSU rematch a good idea.

The Rose Bowl people only want PAC-10 vs BIG 10 teams in THEIR bowl game. I think the out come will be worse than the first game.

badger
10/30/2008, 10:57 AM
Iowa over Penn State

http://thetrifecta.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/lol.jpg

StoopTroup
10/30/2008, 11:00 AM
Alabama is just a bunch of mavericky football players and their fans are mavericky too...

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/08/23-End/palin-in-the-car.jpg

bonkuba
10/30/2008, 11:12 AM
So long as we don't get a crap opponent like BSU or WVU again, the Fiesta Bowl might be tolerable if we play a team like Bammer.

No offense....but those crap teams beat the **** out of us and made us look like dip****s.......ok maybe I am still not over it yet :D

badger
10/30/2008, 12:19 PM
No offense....but those crap teams beat the **** out of us and made us look like dip****s.......ok maybe I am still not over it yet :D

And you know what? It's ALWAYS the crap opponents that'll do that! When we play teams like Texas (argggggh in the direction of my avatar/sig), or other big time opponents, we usually show up to play! When the opponent is crap, the players seem to take a winter vacation leading up to January (and my, my, those winter require warm coats, especially in Tempe. Zing!!!) and don't care about the game as much.

An opponent like Bammer is exactly who we need to get this bowl bust turned around.

Sabanball
10/30/2008, 02:07 PM
And you know what? It's ALWAYS the crap opponents that'll do that! When we play teams like Texas (argggggh in the direction of my avatar/sig), or other big time opponents, we usually show up to play! When the opponent is crap, the players seem to take a winter vacation leading up to January (and my, my, those winter require warm coats, especially in Tempe. Zing!!!) and don't care about the game as much.

An opponent like Bammer is exactly who we need to get this bowl bust turned around.

Or continue it....

BoonesFarmSooner
10/30/2008, 02:10 PM
Actually, that would be a pretty good Fiesta Bowl and some dominate tailgating!!!

I'll never forget that trip to Tuscaloosa in '03!

Maestro, I call dibs on the couch!

KingBarry
10/30/2008, 02:24 PM
I don't see Penn State losing. I don't see Texas losing. And I'm not sure I see us beating the Payne County Orange Inbreds, either. I'm just expecting a very cold winter.

It was all right there for us, and we f'd away the Texas game. ****.

TUSooner
10/30/2008, 03:13 PM
They must be figuring that LSU will beat Bama. I think they will, too. LSU's D is better than their recent showings, and Alabama's O is overrated.
Plus, LSU is going to be mad after my Tulane Greenies upset them in Tigah Stadium this weekend!!

heh, yeah right

Dan Thompson
10/30/2008, 03:33 PM
We will be playing BYU in the Holiday Bowl if we don't get some fire in our eyes.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think we can beat TT or OSU, if we continue to play as we have lately.

bmjlr
10/30/2008, 04:12 PM
Are we sure that the Fiesta Bowl even wants OU to play?

Boomer38Sooner
10/30/2008, 06:00 PM
Are we sure that the Fiesta Bowl even wants OU to play?

ha!! they probably would freak if they had to take us again...

Sabanball
10/30/2008, 08:02 PM
They must be figuring that LSU will beat Bama. I think they will, too. LSU's D is better than their recent showings, and Alabama's O is overrated.
Plus, LSU is going to be mad after my Tulane Greenies upset them in Tigah Stadium this weekend!!

heh, yeah right

Probably so, or that we will lose to UF in the SECCG. But I think that LSU's soft underbelly was exposed by UF and UGA. We punked UGA to the tune of 31-0 at the half between the hedges, and even though we only won 41-30 everyone knew the game was over at the half.

Who is overrating our offense?? I haven't found anyone that's doing that, including Bama fans. But at least we know how to play defense, a concept that has evidently gone out of style in the Big 12.

tooslow
10/31/2008, 02:17 AM
Probably so, or that we will lose to UF in the SECCG. But I think that LSU's soft underbelly was exposed by UF and UGA. We punked UGA to the tune of 31-0 at the half between the hedges, and even though we only won 41-30 everyone knew the game was over at the half.

Who is overrating our offense?? I haven't found anyone that's doing that, including Bama fans. But at least we know how to play defense, a concept that has evidently gone out of style in the Big 12.

Defense? Yes, the SEC is "known" to have good defenses. However, with Florida scoring over 100 points in two back to back games against SEC teams with supposedly good defenses, and the fact that you mentioned Georgia giving up 31 points in one half, how does that SEC defense look now? How about Auburn? West Virginia put up more points on them than any SEC team has in several years. Not sure about the rest of the Big XII, but OU's D is not as bad as it appears. OU wants to run as many plays as possible, due to having an offense that can put points up in a hurry. The drawback is the other team will also have more plays, which will result in more yards and points for them as well. As of this week, OU's D gives up 4.9 yards per play. Bama's D gives up 4.3 ypp. The difference is Bama's opponents do not run nearly as many plays as OU, which is why OU gives up more total yardage and points. OU's opponents have ran off 565 plays, Bama's have run 492 plays. The numbers may very well change by year's end, but it's a valid point for now, considering we are over the halfway point in the season.

You can look at the offense in the same way. OU averages 6.8 ypp, Bama averages 5.8 ypp. So one could also say that maybe OU's offense is not as good as it appears. Again, the difference is plays run per game. OU's offense has run a whopping 640 plays this year. 514 plays for the offense of Bama.

OU and Bama in the Fiesta Bowl? Hell yeah! I'd love to see 'em play again! At least this time the game would mean something to both teams. It would also give Stoops a chance to either make the necessary game preparations resulting in a "W", or finally being forced to make staffing changes with a "L".

Hopefully we just keep winning. Everything else will sort itself out. :)

tooslow
10/31/2008, 03:37 AM

I agree, although it does seem that since Mike Stoops left, the "swagger" has been left in the locker room on numerous occasions. We do usually show up to play Texas and other big time Big XII schools, but it's been a while since we've beaten a highly ranked OOC school. With a record of 4-4 in Bowl Games since 2000, I'd have to say that, for reasons I can't explain, we haven't shown up for the big games other than our Conference foes. We've had more talent in six out of those 8 games, but talent alone will not win games. Hopefully we'll add yet another postseason win this season, sometime in January. ;)

SoonerInFla
10/31/2008, 07:10 AM
I haven't found anyone that's doing that, including Bama fans. But at least we know how to play defense, a concept that has evidently gone out of style in the Big 12.

It's not hard to play defense in the SEC. Most of the teams there would have a hard time scoring after the other team has left the field.

BAMA and LSU may go into overtime scoreless.

Wonder how many National championships Bama will claim for the Fiesta Bowl.
4 if they win, 2 if they lose?

TUSooner
10/31/2008, 09:46 AM

If I have to start backing up my posts with crap like "evidence" and "sound reasoning" I'll just quit!

sendbaht
10/31/2008, 09:49 AM
:pop:

wishbonesooner
10/31/2008, 09:28 PM
You know how good our O line was supposed to be this year? Well Bama's IS that good. They also play some really good defense. They have some slobberknockers on that unit.

okiewaker
10/31/2008, 09:48 PM
Alabama is just a bunch of mavericky football players and their fans are mavericky too...

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/08/23-End/palin-in-the-car.jpg

Mavericks wear seat belts. I was expecting a moon shot.:mad: :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/1/2008, 02:42 PM

An opponent like Bammer is exactly who we need to get this bowl bust turned around.Of course, but our players' lackadasical attitude against meh teams has started to cost us in recruiting.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/1/2008, 02:46 PM

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/08/23-End/palin-in-the-car.jpgBehold the first evar female VPOTUS!...YOU GO, GIRL!

Red October
11/1/2008, 08:03 PM
Unfortunatley, Texas will go undefeated, so will Penn St, leaving a vacancy in the Rose Bowl (who gets to pick anyone they want in this case).

Who knows... if we take care of business, we could be smelling Roses...???

Sabanball
11/1/2008, 08:14 PM
Defense? Yes, the SEC is "known" to have good defenses. However, with Florida scoring over 100 points in two back to back games against SEC teams with supposedly good defenses, and the fact that you mentioned Georgia giving up 31 points in one half, how does that SEC defense look now? How about Auburn? West Virginia put up more points on them than any SEC team has in several years. Not sure about the rest of the Big XII, but OU's D is not as bad as it appears. OU wants to run as many plays as possible, due to having an offense that can put points up in a hurry. The drawback is the other team will also have more plays, which will result in more yards and points for them as well. As of this week, OU's D gives up 4.9 yards per play. Bama's D gives up 4.3 ypp. The difference is Bama's opponents do not run nearly as many plays as OU, which is why OU gives up more total yardage and points. OU's opponents have ran off 565 plays, Bama's have run 492 plays. The numbers may very well change by year's end, but it's a valid point for now, considering we are over the halfway point in the season.

You can look at the offense in the same way. OU averages 6.8 ypp, Bama averages 5.8 ypp. So one could also say that maybe OU's offense is not as good as it appears. Again, the difference is plays run per game. OU's offense has run a whopping 640 plays this year. 514 plays for the offense of Bama.

OU and Bama in the Fiesta Bowl? Hell yeah! I'd love to see 'em play again! At least this time the game would mean something to both teams. It would also give Stoops a chance to either make the necessary game preparations resulting in a "W", or finally being forced to make staffing changes with a "L".

Hopefully we just keep winning. Everything else will sort itself out. :)

I agree. As long as you guys win out, you will be in the NC mix. I still think a Bama/OU matchup in Miami is very possible.

I guess i am old school--I still believe defense wins championships and that players and talent, NOT schemes, win games. Statistically I think we rank in the top five defensively in all categories. I won't argue in defense of UGA's or LSU's defense, but, with OUR D, I think we can play with anybody right now. We're still not equal to you guys in amount of overall talent, or LSU for that matter, but I would argue that we are closing that gap fast.

The next couple of weeks are going to be very interesting....

RTR/Boomer Sooner!!!!!!!!!!