PDA

View Full Version : I am voting for...

SicEmBaylor
10/29/2008, 04:28 PM
The following candidates:

President: Bob Barr (L)*
US Senator: Yvonne Schick (L)
US Rep (D-17): Rob Curnock (R)
Railroad Commissioner: Michael Williams (R)
Supreme Court, Chief Justice: Tom Oxford (L)
Supreme Court, Place 7: Sam Houston (D)
Supreme Court, Place 8: Drew Shirley (L)
Court of Appeals, Place 3: Matt Eilers (L)
Court of Appeals, Place 4: Dave Howard (L)
Court of Appeals, Place 9: William Strange (L)
State Board of Education, D-14: Gail Lowe (R)
State Rep., D-17: Neill Snider (L)
10th Court of Appeals, Place 2: Rex Davis (R)
District Judge, 19th District: Ralph Strother (R)
District Judge, 74th District: Gary Coley (R)
Sheriff: Larry Lynch (R)
County Commissioner, Precinct 3: Danny Volcik (R)

So there you have it folks. My final selection.

*Some of you may note that I started a thread several months ago about supporting McCain. I was temporarily back on the GOP bandwagon, but McCain lost me with his support for the bailout package.

proud gonzo
10/29/2008, 04:38 PM
yeah, she'd make a great railroad commissioner

http://cm1.dotspotter.com/media/0/75/49/Michelle-Williams.0.0.0x0.432x432.jpeg

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2008, 04:38 PM
President - Barack Obama (D)
U.S. Senate - Mark Begich (D)
U.S. House of Representatives (at large) - Ethan Berkowitz (D)
Alaska State House of Representatives (29) - Chris Tuck (D)
Alaska Senate (O) - Doug Van Etten (D)

Big surprises there, I know. Voted like a week and a half ago.

SicEmBaylor
10/29/2008, 04:39 PM

She's definitely better looking than Michael Williams...

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2008, 04:39 PM

I'd run train on her all night.

proud gonzo
10/29/2008, 04:41 PM
She's definitely better looking than Michael Williams...

I'd run train on her all night.Mike: 1
SicEm: 0

SicEmBaylor
10/29/2008, 04:41 PM
President - Barack Obama (D)
U.S. Senate - Mark Begich (D)
U.S. House of Representatives (at large) - Ethan Berkowitz (D)
Alaska State House of Representatives (29) - Chris Tuck (D)
Alaska Senate (O) - Doug Van Etten (D)

Big surprises there, I know. Voted like a week and a half ago.

I've never voted for a more balanced ballot than this.

8 Libertarians
8 Republicans
1 Democrat.

I always manage to find at least one Democrat to vote for. My Republican attorney friends have a lot of good things to say about Sam Houston (besides his name), and from what I understand he'd be a credit to the state Supreme Court so I'm trusting them and going with Houston.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2008, 04:42 PM
The L stands for Loser.

SicEmBaylor
10/29/2008, 04:43 PM
I'd run train on her all night.

You know what's amazing about the Texas Railroad Commission? They don't have anything to do with railroads...zip...nadda.

The Texas legislature changed everything having to do with the Texas Railroad Commission except the name.

JLEW1818
10/29/2008, 04:45 PM
McCain !!!!!

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2008, 04:45 PM
I've never voted for a more balanced ballot than this.

8 Libertarians
8 Republicans
1 Democrat.

I always manage to find at least one Democrat to vote for. My Republican attorney friends have a lot of good things to say about Sam Houston (besides his name), and from what I understand he'd be a credit to the state Supreme Court so I'm trusting them and going with Houston.

I've voted for an occasional Republican. Don Young once or twice. Once for Ralph Samuels (House District 29).

Generally, though, I'm casting votes for Democrats in protest against some of our entrenched Republicans. I live in one of the most heavily-Republican-leaning districts in the state. In fact, of the last seven elections only one PRECINCT has voted for a Democrat in my district.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2008, 04:50 PM
Go Mike's district!

Way to DOMINATE!

http://www.cobracares.com/media/walls/Domination.jpg

SoonerStormchaser
10/29/2008, 05:13 PM
Probably voting a straight Rep. ticket...except for the State Representative...

Harry Beanbag
10/29/2008, 05:26 PM
President: Bob Barr (L)
U.S. House (District 6): Jeff Flake (R)
Maricopa County Sheriff: Joe Arpaio (R)

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2008, 05:33 PM
Maricopa County Sheriff: Joe Arpaio (R)

Yeah, but that's only because you have bologna stock. :D

Fraggle145
10/29/2008, 05:36 PM
I'm thinking about just voting out all incumbents... :D

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2008, 05:39 PM
Go Mike's district!

Way to DOMINATE!

Heh. Even funnier? It was my precinct. It was the 2006 Gubernatorial election, and Tony Knowles beat Sarah Palin by one vote.

Harry Beanbag
10/29/2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah, but that's only because you have bologna stock. :D

Sheriff Joe has a way with b - o - l - o - g - n - a. :D

Actually, I voted against him last time, but he is the only law enforcement agency here that is actually enforcing the illegal immigrant law that was passed a couple of years ago. He's pissed off some other city police chiefs by coming into their backyard and rounding up illegals.

A couple of weeks ago his deputies raided Mesa's (second largest city in the state) city office complex and collected a bunch of them. I thought it was hilarious as their police chief was whining about the county sheriff coming into his buildings and doing his job for him. :)

SoonerStormchaser
10/29/2008, 06:00 PM
heh...go JOE!

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2008, 06:29 PM
http://members.cox.net/firemanat25s/kerryshocker.jpg

GottaHavePride
10/29/2008, 11:05 PM
At the national level I'm voting almost entirely democrat. At the local level I'm voting half and half democrat/republican. The local decisions are based mostly on voting against the biggest tard in each race.

salth2o
10/29/2008, 11:09 PM
Voted almost a straight Republican ticket. I only voted for 1 Dem. Sam Houston.

Mjcpr
10/30/2008, 12:15 AM
My Republican attorney friends have a lot of good things to say about Sam Houston (besides his name), and from what I understand he'd be a credit to the state Supreme Court so I'm trusting them and going with Houston.

So, did you all start school together or what?

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2008, 03:23 AM
So, did you all start school together or what?

One did, yes. He lived down the hall from me in the dorm. Most of them were just starting law school my fish year though. I have WAY too many lawyer friends. I think it's a good idea to collect friends from various specialties. For example, I need to meet and get buddy buddy with a doctor. I've got a couple accountant friends, a vet, a butt load of lawyers, and a veterinarian of all things but I'm without a doctor in my stable of friends.

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2008, 03:27 AM
Voted almost a straight Republican ticket. I only voted for 1 Dem. Sam Houston.

Sam Houston is a good choice. He's a Baylor grad.

salth2o
10/30/2008, 12:45 PM
Sam Houston is a good choice. He's a Baylor grad.

and there is a statue of him in Huntsville. ;) It may not be the same guy though.

Howzit
10/30/2008, 01:10 PM
You know what's amazing about the Texas Railroad Commission? They don't have anything to do with railroads...zip...nadda.

The Texas legislature changed everything having to do with the Texas Railroad Commission except the name.

Well, that deflates my swell comment about her caboose.

Thanks. alot.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 01:24 PM
If they don't have anything to do with Railroads, exactly what do they do?

royalfan5
10/30/2008, 01:53 PM
If they don't have anything to do with Railroads, exactly what do they do?

They did provide the blueprint for OPEC. So they got that going for them.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 01:54 PM
How much of a blueprint do you need for "Hey, if we all collude we can exercise monopoly power"?

royalfan5
10/30/2008, 01:56 PM
How much of a blueprint do you need for "Hey, if we all collude we can exercise monopoly power"?
The Texas Railroad Commission was set up to regulate oil production in Texas to ensure high prices. OPEC just copied the format, and then Texas ceased to be the dominant oil producer.

crawfish
10/30/2008, 02:00 PM
I voted for Obama. I think he was the best choice, but I still feel dirty.

silverwheels
10/30/2008, 02:05 PM
It'd be nice if Barr was on the ticket here in Oklahoma.

JohnnyMack
10/30/2008, 02:08 PM
I'm voting for Obama.

For every other seat I'm voting for whoever isn't the incumbent. If it's a vacant seat, I'll flip a coin.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 02:16 PM
The Texas Railroad Commission was set up to regulate oil production in Texas to ensure high prices. OPEC just copied the format, and then Texas ceased to be the dominant oil producer.

Ah.

So they're dicks.

tbl
10/30/2008, 02:27 PM
This is my first year to not vote for a Libertarian in the white house, though I did hit some L's on the other offices. Obama is just too polarizing and I rode MARTA last Saturday, so it pretty much sealed the deal that I had to do whatever I could to ensure he will not get elected... which he will anyway.

Can I have a redo on that one?

tbl
10/30/2008, 02:28 PM
It'd be nice if Barr was on the ticket here in Oklahoma.

So they didn't get that worked out? I thought that was a done deal...

silverwheels
10/30/2008, 02:35 PM
So they didn't get that worked out? I thought that was a done deal...

Not that I know of, at least not in time for the election.

proud gonzo
10/30/2008, 02:44 PM
It'd be nice if Barr was on the ticket here in Oklahoma.why? so you can waste your vote? :confused:

silverwheels
10/30/2008, 02:46 PM
why? so you can waste your vote? :confused:

I know it would be a wasted vote, but I can't bring myself to vote for either of the 2 big party candidates.

Maybe I should vote for Tom Riddle.

Howzit
10/30/2008, 02:52 PM

If your bran was ginorous as mine you would think otherwisely.

proud gonzo
10/30/2008, 03:02 PM
I know it would be a wasted vote, but I can't bring myself to vote for either of the 2 big party candidates.

Maybe I should vote for Tom Riddle.
yeah, but he's not going to win. so why wouldn't you want to put your vote toward whoever you consider the lesser of the two main evils?

unless Tom Riddle was on the ticket, and then yeah. A vote for Voldemort is a vote for Awesome.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 03:08 PM
Honestly, Jess, unless you live in one of a handful of states your presidential vote doesn't matter a hell of a lot anyhow. I mean, it's not like McCain has any chance of losing in OK, TX, or KS anyhow.

tbl
10/30/2008, 03:08 PM
By that same logic, a vote for a democrat in TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, KS, and so on is just as wasted as a republican vote in CA, OR, MA, NY, etc.

If you're not in a swing state, every vote for the opposition of the majority party could be viewed as a "wasted vote".

tbl
10/30/2008, 03:09 PM
Jinx!

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2008, 03:10 PM
^^
Yeah.

I mean, I voted in the Presidential election, but it's not like Obama's winning Alaska with Palin on the Republican ticket. Mainly I'm hoping to narrow the gap to under 10 (which would be rather embarassing for her) and to get Mark Begich, Ethan Berkowitz, and Chris Tuck elected.

proud gonzo
10/30/2008, 03:27 PM
yeah, which is why i hate the electoral college thing.

SoonerInKCMO
10/30/2008, 03:32 PM
yeah, which is why i hate the electoral college thing.

Uh-oh... here comes the "our founding fathers were all-knowing deities and any system they designed 200+ years ago was perfect then and is still perfect now and if we went to a popular vote the small states wouldn't get any love and we'd have big city libz on the coasts running and ruining our fine God-fearing nation!!!!1!!!!!!1111" people. :(

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2008, 03:51 PM

It's actually not a waste of a vote at all. It's technically more of a waste to vote for either McCain or Obama in Oklahoma because Oklahoma is nowhere close to being a battleground state and an individual vote has zero baring in a state like Oklahoma.

HOWEVER, every vote for a third party candidate is beneficial because it helps ensure future ballot access, federal matching funds, and can help the candidate get invited to future presidential debates.

The idea that voting 3rd party is throwing your vote away in a non-battleground state is absurd.

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2008, 03:52 PM
Uh-oh... here comes the "our founding fathers were all-knowing deities and any system they designed 200+ years ago was perfect then and is still perfect now and if we went to a popular vote the small states wouldn't get any love and we'd have big city libz on the coasts running and ruining our fine God-fearing nation!!!!1!!!!!!1111" people. :(

No, it's more like the Electoral College provides the last semblance of power between the state and Federal government. Eliminating the EC would have far reaching consequences, not the least of which would be the destruction of the last vestigate of a truly federal republic.

Chuck Bao
10/30/2008, 03:59 PM
I don't like the thought of any vote being wasted. That is pretty defeatist thinking.

My colleague who voted absentee in California and I jokingly discussed swapping our votes, but I don't trust the Republican bastard and that wouldn't resolve anything anyway.

I'm going to be curious if any Oklahoma counties turn blue. Bush swept every country in the last presidential election, didin't he? I would like to at least see the margin of victory for the Republican candidate narrowed this time and who knows in the next presidential election.

Harry Beanbag
10/30/2008, 04:33 PM
I don't understand the wasting of a vote thing either. Your vote only counts if it's for the winner or a candidate that has a chance to win? That's asinine.

Harry Beanbag
10/30/2008, 04:34 PM
HOWEVER, every vote for a third party candidate is beneficial because it helps ensure future ballot access, federal matching funds, and can help the candidate get invited to future presidential debates.

This country is being done a great disservice by other party candidates not being allowed to debate. We need more choices and different points of view than what we have now.

JohnnyMack
10/30/2008, 04:36 PM
This country is being done a great disservice by other party candidates not being allowed to debate. We need more choices and different points of view than what we have now.

I agree, but what's the threshold a party's candidate needs to cross in order to be included?

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2008, 04:39 PM
I agree, but what's the threshold a party's candidate needs to cross in order to be included?

There is one. Whatever organization manages the Presidential Debates uses polling data to determine whether a candidate should be included. I think they have to poll at something around 8% nationally to be included.

Harry Beanbag
10/30/2008, 04:42 PM
Kind of a catch-22 isn't it? If they never get any exposure, how are they going to poll any better?

JohnnyMack
10/30/2008, 04:45 PM
JohnnyMack / Harry Beanbag '12

Get us on the ticket!!!!!!

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2008, 04:46 PM
Kind of a catch-22 isn't it? If they never get any exposure, how are they going to poll any better?

Exactly. I think they should use ballot access as a determining factor. If a third party has ballot access in X number of states then they should be allowed to debate.

Harry Beanbag
10/30/2008, 04:47 PM
JohnnyMack / Harry Beanbag '12

Get us on the ticket!!!!!!

I'd be happy to serve underneath or on top of you.

Harry Beanbag
10/30/2008, 04:48 PM
Exactly. I think they should use ballot access as a determining factor. If a third party has ballot access in X number of states then they should be allowed to debate.

I would say if they are allowed to debate they should be on the ballot in every state.

JohnnyMack
10/30/2008, 04:50 PM
I'd be happy to serve underneath or on top of you.

I'd prolly be assassinated by my own running mate.

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2008, 04:51 PM
I'd prolly be assassinated by my own running mate.

It worked for LBJ.

Harry Beanbag
10/30/2008, 04:55 PM
It worked for LBJ.

It could have worked for Hillary, but Barack was wise to the idea. :)