PDA

View Full Version : Then again, there could be another reason we're 0-8 . . .

Jacie
10/29/2008, 04:10 PM
15 UNT players fail Dodge-ordered drug tests

Oct 28, 7:38 pm EDT

DENTON, Texas (AP)—Fifteen North Texas football players failed drug tests conducted this fall at the request of coach Todd Dodge.

Eighty-six players were tested from Sept. 24-Oct. 15. They were chosen by the coaching staff and were considered regular contributors to the team. The results of the testing were first reported by the Denton Record-Chronicle.

The school normally tests athletes at random, and the NCAA tested 20 players separately late last month. North Texas hasn’t received results of the NCAA tests.

Dodge said at his weekly news conference that he couldn’t specify the types of drugs, but later referred to them generally as “street drugs.”

“All I did was what any Division I coach has the right to do,” Dodge said. “When you’ve been around the business long enough, you look at consistency, you put two and two together and you come up with some ideas. It was time to send a message to say, ‘No.”’

North Texas (0-8) is off to the worst start in school history and tied with Washington for the nation’s longest losing streak at nine games.

Dodge, a wildly successful high school coach in the Dallas area when he took the UNT job, is 2-18 with four games remaining in his second season on the Denton campus.

According to the school’s student policy manual, athletes who fail a drug test must attend drug counseling and are subject to additional tests.

A second offense results in a suspension, additional testing and counseling. A third leads to a suspension from the team while the player undergoes a rehabilitation program. With a fourth positive test, the player is dismissed from the team and the player’s scholarship is revoked, the policy says.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/29/2008, 04:18 PM
I think UNT will give Dodge at least one more year before they fire him. I'll bet that decision to snub Texas and play for daddy looks REAL sharp now, eh Riley?

badger
10/29/2008, 04:24 PM
Dodge is out of his league. High school is a different monkey from the college game. Resign and preserve your legacy at the high school level by picking it up again as soon as possible.

Also, if your players are going to fail drug tests, try to make it so that they are taking performance ENHANCING drugs, not performance LOSING drugs.

soonerboomer93
10/29/2008, 04:29 PM
NSFW

305vRNoofr8

humblesooner
10/29/2008, 04:34 PM
15 UNT players fail Dodge-ordered drug tests

Eighty-six players were tested from Sept. 24-Oct. 15. They were chosen by the coaching staff and were considered regular contributors to the team.

Eighty-six players were tested and were considered regular contirbutors to the team????

WTF???:confused: :confused:

Dan Thompson
10/29/2008, 05:48 PM
The coach should get in touch with Pete Carroll for some advise.

85sooners
10/29/2008, 07:18 PM
:D

Curly Bill
10/29/2008, 07:42 PM
Dodge probably took a pay cut to leave Southalke for UNT, where he would have lesser facilities and one could argue lesser players. So...besides getting to identify himself as a college coach this was a good move why?

bluedogok
10/29/2008, 09:23 PM
I think Dodge misjudged his "contacts" in Texas high school football, I bet he thought he could work those coaches that he beat up on for so long while at SLC and get players to come up there. I think his "attitude" at SLC towards other coaches/schools may have done more harm than good and coaches tend to have long memories when it come to things like that. He isn't beating out the SMU, TCU, Houston, Rice, Baylor or others for that level of player which could make him competitive.

KingBarry
10/30/2008, 03:58 PM
"Also, if your players are going to fail drug tests, try to make it so that they are taking performance ENHANCING drugs, not performance LOSING drugs."

Well said, badj, well said.

snp
10/30/2008, 10:37 PM
I think Dodge misjudged his "contacts" in Texas high school football, I bet he thought he could work those coaches that he beat up on for so long while at SLC and get players to come up there. I think his "attitude" at SLC towards other coaches/schools may have done more harm than good and coaches tend to have long memories when it come to things like that. He isn't beating out the SMU, TCU, Houston, Rice, Baylor or others for that level of player which could make him competitive.

Dickey had 5 wins his last 2 years. It's not like the program was in great shape before Dodge took over and implemented a totally new system. No one was predicting instant success.

And of course he's not going to beat out SMU, TCU, UH, Rice, Baylor - those schools are vastly superior in every way to UNT. Facilities, academics, night life (except Baylor).

mdklatt
10/31/2008, 11:30 AM
Dodge is out of his league. High school is a different monkey from the college game.

Yeah, he's got a harder time recruiting at pUNT than he did at Southlake. :rolleyes:

badger
10/31/2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah, he's got a harder time recruiting at pUNT than he did at Southlake. :rolleyes:

Heh, I'm not too familiar with Texas high school football, but isn't recruiting not allowed at the HS level?

In any event, I think he would have been better suited to go a different route to get to a head coaching job at the college level than just jumping from high school to college - you know, be an assistant first.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/31/2008, 12:24 PM
Heh, I'm not too familiar with Texas high school football, but isn't recruiting not allowed at the HS level?

In any event, I think he would have been better suited to go a different route to get to a head coaching job at the college level than just jumping from high school to college - you know, be an assistant first.

Recruiting isn't allowed at the HS level but oh does it happen in the DFW area. I played for a 4A team in the panhandle throughout HS and we faced Grapevine and Stephenville deep in the playoffs and you hear nothing but rumors about the recruiting. And when we took the field, they had 3X as many players suited up than we did..........and that includes numerous JV guys who got bumped up for depth in the playoffs. It happens quite often but is just overlooked. The rumor about SLC is that they've recruited a lot of big time kids from surrounding areas and just get waivers for school districts.

mdklatt
10/31/2008, 01:26 PM

No, it's not. That was my point. I have no doubt that shenanigans are afoot in almost every perennial football powerhouse program in TX and OK (and everywhere else). How else to explain all the athletes that just happen to live in one place? It's not just coaching. Must be something in the water.

badger
10/31/2008, 01:29 PM
No, it's not. That was my point. I have no doubt that shenanigans are afoot in almost every perennial football powerhouse program in TX and OK (and everywhere else). How else to explain all the athletes that just happen to live in one place? It's not just coaching. Must be something in the water.

My nephew is apparently a very good little league pitcher, to the point of another team saying that he wasn't allowed to pitch because he was too good.

Then, the team's coach turned around and asked my uncle if he could bring the kid along when they played somebody else.

:D All is fair in war.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/31/2008, 01:37 PM
I know a very powerful alumn from the football team that is very unhappy

Jdog
10/31/2008, 02:11 PM
Dodge is out of his league. High school is a different monkey from the college game. Resign and preserve your legacy at the high school level by picking it up again as soon as possible.

Also, if your players are going to fail drug tests, try to make it so that they are taking performance ENHANCING drugs, not performance LOSING drugs.

He'll resign in 3 to 4 years after his kid graduates from UNT. After that don't be surprised if he’s hired by Stoops at OU. Bob likes Dodge as an offense coordinator.

humblesooner
10/31/2008, 02:22 PM
I don't know about the rest of the state, but in the Houston area, kids can go to school pretty much anywhere they want to.
I have heard several cases where a player didn't like a coach, applied to the powers-that-be (UIL?) and moved to the school of their choice. You don't even have to move within the boundaries of the school. You just enroll and start playing.
The only thing they don't do is provide transportation across school boundaries. But if you have your own transportation, you can go pretty much anywhere. I have never heard of a request being denied.

stoopified
10/31/2008, 03:11 PM
Yulsa Booker T. had the reputation for years of recruiting in football and basketball.Now rumors swirl around Jenks and Union.

Soonermagik
10/31/2008, 03:42 PM
His teams stinks and he's trying to blame the players. I'm sure the drugs aren't helping them, but bad coaching is to blame too.

Heck, his wife probably said you should drug test them and if a bunch fail it will look like it's their fault. Not really, but I could envision that. ;)

Boarder
10/31/2008, 03:42 PM
He'll resign in 3 to 4 years after his kid graduates from UNT. After that don't be surprised if he’s hired by Stoops at OU. Bob likes Dodge as an offense coordinator.
I hope and pray not. That would be like hiring satan. I have a vastly different set of memories about Todd Dodge from others, apparently.

OUTrumpet
10/31/2008, 03:50 PM

It's a simple success begets success type situation. Say some coach has tie-ins with some college coach and a few players get on scholly. Thats one example that will have some parents trying to transfer into the district to get a perceived better chance at getting to the next level. Look at the story about how we recruited Murray, we were out there to recruit Reynolds and Coach Stoops sees him playing basketball.

Success also brings in the money. Money = better facilities. If you can play in the best facilities possible, why not?

Technically, schools can't recruit. But reputations do plenty of that for them on their own.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/31/2008, 03:58 PM

Happens all the time. When I was in Georgia, our playoff nemesis was Valdosta. When Valdosta (Lowndes county - sp?) had the monopoly of being the only high school in this south Georgia county. players identified in Junior high or earlier, would magically move into the district as their parent(s) got a new job at some boosters business in Valdosta... They dominated Georgia 5A football for years.

mdklatt
10/31/2008, 03:59 PM
Success also brings in the money. Money = better facilities. If you can play in the best facilities possible, why not?

Technically, schools can't recruit. But reputations do plenty of that for them on their own.

That's all well and good, but the shenanigans come in when money starts getting thrown around. Not just anybody can afford to move into Southlake ISD, for example.

humblesooner
10/31/2008, 04:23 PM
Yulsa Booker T. had the reputation for years of recruiting in football and basketball.Now rumors swirl around Jenks and Union.

I don't live there any longer, but would not doubt that it happens a lot.
Way back in the stone age when I was in HS (mid 70's), Marcus Penny was a standout basketball player in the Tulsa area. The summer before his Sr year, his mother suddenly "found" a good job on the Westside and he transferred to Webster. I have no doubt that Bill Allen was behind that move.

You gotta believe that it goes on at Janks and maybe Union too.
Although, having some of the best schools in the state will also promote transfers in.