PDA

View Full Version : New Corporate Buzzword Unleashed: "Parking Lot."?

VeeJay
10/29/2008, 03:47 PM
Was in an extended snoozer conference call this a.m. with probably 50 or more people throughout our company. We were told early on that due to tight timelines, we would need to "parking lot" specific questions that didn't pertain to the group.

It used to be "sidebar!" when some ham-and-egger would disrupt with a whiny question. Now - we'll just "parking lot" the question.

These are the business good times in so many ways.

:pop: :)

soonerboomer93
10/29/2008, 04:20 PM
I'm so happy I don't work for big companies like that any more.

Even when I'm contracted to larger companies, our environment is completely different because of the site team size.

SoonerInKCMO
10/29/2008, 04:25 PM
Bah... we were putting stuff in the parking lot in the '90s.

I've purposely not learned any new buzzwords since about that time.

proud gonzo
10/29/2008, 04:39 PM
wow, that goes on my list of terms i hate.

KsSooner
10/29/2008, 05:19 PM
Parking lot was from the old CQI days, or was it PMM, or maybe TQM?
Definitely mid 90's.

VeeJay
10/29/2008, 07:09 PM
Hmm....I don't remember Parking Lot from the 90's. I was too busy re-engineering, creating synergies, trying to empower folks, stuff like that.

jkjsooner
10/29/2008, 08:06 PM
I hate the whole buzzword crap. It's just a way for people who don't have a clue what they're doing sound like they do (or not).

C&CDean
10/29/2008, 08:19 PM
Parking lot? Yeah, way 90s. Now it's "line in the sand" and "it is what it is." If I hear either one of those 2 again today I will neck twist some mother****er.

SoonerInKCMO
10/30/2008, 08:33 AM
My current favorite is the use of 'surface' to mean 'find' - like in this example from a lean manufacturing blog:

Actual problem most of the organizations face is the inability to surface their problems. Most of the problems are surfaced when there is a burning issue and then the firefighting will solve the problem temporarily and people will forget the cause to the problem. Unfortunately most of the times people do not even try to identify and surface the problems.

Gag.

Partial Qualifier
10/30/2008, 08:43 AM
Parking lot? Yeah, way 90s. Now it's "line in the sand" and "it is what it is." If I hear either one of those 2 again today I will neck twist some mother****er.

X2 that on "it is what it is".

That's the buzzword equivelant of saying "I'm not perceptive enough to understand that -- but if I could -- I wouldn't be able to offer a solution, or even an opinion"

I hear that one here at work at least 3 times a week...

OUDoc
10/30/2008, 08:47 AM
It is what it is, PQ.

1890MilesToNorman
10/30/2008, 08:53 AM
Wouldn't this be corporate tailgating?

I don't miss corp America either, too many meetings and not enough production. And way too many kissass morons trying to prove something.

Partial Qualifier
10/30/2008, 09:04 AM
It is what it is, PQ.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

OUDoc
10/30/2008, 09:29 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

Parking lot that neg spek, Sparky.

VeeJay
10/30/2008, 09:38 AM
Wouldn't this be corporate tailgating?

I don't miss corp America either, too many meetings and not enough production. And way too many kissass morons trying to prove something.

I've worked with a 60 year old boss before who tried to prove his worth to the co. Dude couldn't even look up information in the computer. We called it Management By Ignorance. But he'd jump all over the newest corporate buzzwords and throw them out at inopportune times. Good times, indeed.

1890MilesToNorman
10/30/2008, 09:47 AM
I've worked with a 60 year old boss before who tried to prove his worth to the co. Dude couldn't even look up information in the computer. We called it Management By Ignorance. But he'd jump all over the newest corporate buzzwords and throw them out at inopportune times. Good times, indeed.

I think I new this guy? regional schmuck by the name of Gryglick, I always thought the name fit him perfectly. lol

StoopTroup
10/30/2008, 10:34 AM
You should introduce "PIITB" for the next little ditty.

Let us know how it goes. :D

VeeJay
10/30/2008, 10:37 AM
I think I new this guy? regional schmuck by the name of Gryglick, I always thought the name fit him perfectly. lol

That is truly a mystery of the business world, how inept people rise to positions of leadership. 80% of people in these jobs are clueless. Looking back, it's made appreciate the few good ones I've worked with.

IB4OU2
10/30/2008, 10:40 AM
That's been a common buzzword for years, used when Value Stream Mapping a process when performing a LEAN activity.

soonervegas
10/30/2008, 01:48 PM
I never thought I would have to see the term "it is what it is" in one of my work escape environments. You bastard....

mdklatt
10/30/2008, 03:21 PM
That is truly a mystery of the business world, how inept people rise to positions of leadership. 80% of people in these jobs are clueless.

Peter Principle

mdklatt
10/30/2008, 03:24 PM
My current favorite is the use of 'surface' to mean 'find' - like in this example from a lean manufacturing blog:

Gag.

Not only "surface", but "firefighting".

mdklatt
10/30/2008, 03:25 PM
Remember everyone, flat is the new up. And regardless of what you think of it, that cake is already baked.