PDA

View Full Version : This is good news for Oklahoma...

Okla-homey
10/29/2008, 09:24 AM
Excerpt from a letter to TU alumni from the Pres:

Despite the disturbing economic changes in our external environment, the road we are on is well marked, and our destination remains to become a top 50 national university of prominence and distinction. Importantly, we continue to make progress toward this goal on all fronts. Here are some reasons why I remain very optimistic about TU's future:

Enrollment remains robust. Demand for a TU education has never been higher. This year, only 42% of the undergraduate applicants to TU were granted admission. Despite this increased selectivity, we have more than 3,000 undergraduates currently enrolled for the first time since the early 1990s. Importantly, recruiting events and campus visits for prospective students this fall have the highest participation in the university's history.

The academic ability of our student body has never been better. This year's freshman class had an average ACT score of 28 and contained 77 national merit scholars (one in 9). Importantly, two thirds of our new freshman graduated in the top 10% of their high school classes. One in ten of all TU students is now a National Merit Scholar, and TU's record of securing nationally competitive scholarships compares with
that of the finest colleges and universities in the country.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2008, 09:42 AM
Not to mention the important stuff, like how they're kicking the ever-loving crap out of everyone in Conference USA.

Go 'Cane!

jage
10/29/2008, 09:53 AM
You know what would REALLY be good news for Oklahoma? Is if they start trying to get more and better companies to locate here. Is getting a college degree in Oklahoma awesome? YEAH! But it won't help Oklahoma any if graduates all go down and get better jobs in Dallas.

Sorry for the rant.

StoopTroup
10/29/2008, 10:42 AM
The young hawt undergrads need to quit jogging down Harvard Ave. during the day...they are going to cause a wreck.

yermom
10/29/2008, 10:42 AM
You know what would REALLY be good news for Oklahoma? Is if they start trying to get more and better companies to locate here. Is getting a college degree in Oklahoma awesome? YEAH! But it won't help Oklahoma any if graduates all go down and get better jobs in Dallas.

Sorry for the rant.

Oklahoma Universities. grooming talent to leave the state since 1890 or so

Vaevictis
10/29/2008, 11:22 AM
Oklahoma Universities. grooming talent to leave the state since 1890 or so

Heh. People: Oklahoma's #1 export since 1932.

King Crimson
10/29/2008, 11:36 AM
never believe PR from universities.

OUDoc
10/29/2008, 12:19 PM
I gotta say, Homey, that really doesn't affect my daily life.

crawfish
10/29/2008, 01:23 PM
My brother is an MIS prof there. Their ranking has gone up a few dozen spots since he was hired, FWIW. ;)

OklahomaTuba
10/29/2008, 01:30 PM
never believe PR from universities.

TU has been pretty conservative in their self promotion IMO.

In any case, they are really making some progress on becoming one of the top regional universities. I hope it continues.

OUDoc
10/29/2008, 01:34 PM
Oklahoma is #1 in National Merit Scholars per capita in a public institutions with crimson as a primary color bearing the "Oklahoma" name between the Oklahoma and South Canadian Rivers.

So there.

Okla-homey
10/29/2008, 02:35 PM
Oklahoma is #1 in National Merit Scholars per capita in a public institutions with crimson as a primary color bearing the "Oklahoma" name between the Oklahoma and South Canadian Rivers.

So there.

Indeed. But remember, there is only one city named "Tulsa" in the whole wide world, and Tulsa is in Oklahoma. Thus, TU's rise in national prominence is a direct reflection on the Sooner State.

jkjsooner
10/29/2008, 03:07 PM

Sorry for the rant.

Quite a few years ago some state congressman proposed cutting our engineering programs. The idea was that we're spending money but we're getting no return on our investment as almost everyone is leaving the state.

Well, let's see. Cut every program where most of the graduates leave state and see how that turns out! Who with a family would want to move to this state in that case?

Man, was that idiot's idea short-sighted.

Penguin
10/29/2008, 03:44 PM

So there.

Don't forget about the single most important gift of art ever given to a public university.

I just can't figure out what he's talking about. Is it the creepy guy in an OU football uniform holding a ballerina? I still have nightmares with that image! Some dude with a hockey mask would have been better. :D

Penguin
10/29/2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.oufoundation.org/sm/summer2005/images/post/p1.jpg

SEND YOUR DAUGHTERS TO OU! WE WILL DEVOUR THEM!!!!!!

JohnnyMack
10/29/2008, 03:57 PM
What's the matter with Oklahoma?

tommieharris91
10/29/2008, 04:20 PM
Don't forget about the single most important gift of art ever given to a public university.

I just can't figure out what he's talking about. Is it the creepy guy in an OU football uniform holding a ballerina? I still have nightmares with that image! Some dude with a hockey mask would have been better. :D

Heh, they just filmed a new ad for OU. It'll get its first run during the ATM game.

jage
10/29/2008, 07:30 PM
What's the matter with Oklahoma?

Nothing, there's just not many engineering jobs here. In Dallas and Austin, there's tons.

jage
10/29/2008, 07:31 PM
Heh, they just filmed a new ad for OU. It'll get its first run during the ATM game.

I sure hope its good. Apparently it was filmed by students of the film department. The current ad always embarrasses me.

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2008, 07:35 PM

Gawd, I hate to be serious with this response...however, the Fred Jones is pretty dayum impressive museum for a town the size of Nompton. I imagine it would be hard to find many pop. 100,000 places with several Renoir's, Degas, Monet, Van Gogh, etc...