PDA

View Full Version : Barry Tramel's new formula

sooner59
10/28/2008, 10:14 PM
On the Sports Animal today Tramel was on and described some statistical formula he made up for calculating defensive efficiency. Like most people I tend to doze off when Tramel talks because I don't much care for him, but this actually made a little sense.

He calculated the percentage of the time that defenses allow touchdowns. Field goals counted as half of a touchdown to account for other scoring. This is only on defense, no special teams. We gave up a lot of points at K-State, but because we scored so often, our defense was on the field for a ton of series. OU's defensive percentage was 29%. This means that 29% of drives, OU gives up a touchdown (FG adjusted). When evaluating OSU against Texas, even though their defense looked impressive, their defensive percentage was worse at 50% because they didn't have as many defensive series but still gave up 28 points.

This formula actually makes a little sense. Game by game it doesn't tell you a whole lot because you play different teams each week with offenses that can be really good or just bad. But if this stat was kept over the course of the season, you might be able to tell something about defenses from different teams. He said he put it on his blog page if you want to check it out. He gives percentages for every OU, OSU, and Texas game so far.

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/28/2008, 10:16 PM
I dunno why this bugs me as much as it does (especially since I think he's kind of a doosh), but it's "Berry" (as in fruit), not "Barry" (as in King).

sooner59
10/28/2008, 10:28 PM
I dunno why this bugs me as much as it does (especially since I think he's kind of a doosh), but it's "Berry" (as in fruit), not "Barry" (as in King).

Sorry I don't care enough about tramLE to spell his name correctly. He isn't worth the extra effort.:D

sooner59
10/28/2008, 10:32 PM
Also, I wasn't saying we did better against Texas. OU and OSU both had 50% against the whorns.

Crucifax Autumn
10/29/2008, 02:02 AM

You clearly said why in that quote. One's a fruit and the other's a sword wielding arthurian King!

stoopified
10/29/2008, 07:43 AM
As for Berry making sense for once;even a broken clock is right twice a day.

BTW,who in their right mind names a kid Berry?

SoonersEnFuego
10/29/2008, 08:37 AM
That makes me feel better, thank you. Not that I was worried that much, but it's something I can say to calm down my father-in-law (and my Wife) who love to bitch about Venables.

NormanPride
10/29/2008, 09:55 AM
Okay, then let's compute our defensive percentage against Texas.

12 possessions
3 field goals
4 touchdowns

3 field goals = 1.5 touchdowns

5.5/12 = 45.8%

It's better, but not by much. If you compare before and after Reynolds, though, it's like night and day.

badger
10/29/2008, 09:58 AM
Defensive formula:
1- You hold while
2- I punch!
3- Get called for holding.
4- And punching.
5- F***.

soonermix
10/29/2008, 12:21 PM
this is kinda bull crap... this doesn't account for short fields, turnovers, penalty killed drives or penalty sustained drives

this boils down to trammel getting lucky at multiplying a couple of numbers and seeing that it proves his point.

so if you take the average age of our defensive starters divided by the blitzes venables calles to the power of the last earthquake reading on the richter scale then multiply all that by combined difference of weight between our coaching staff and mangino and heck we are leading the country in that particular stat !

picasso
10/29/2008, 12:26 PM
ahh I thought this was going to be about hair treatment or trying to get that "I look like **** like I just woke up" off your face formula.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/29/2008, 12:28 PM
Sounds to me someone is trying to polish a turd.

Big Red Ron
10/29/2008, 01:17 PM
He did that because Traber (the stone, cold mulian) was trying to say that okie state did a better job against texass than we did. It does make sense and Trabor's an idiot.

OUDoc
10/29/2008, 01:19 PM
I liked that formula. I have no idea how valid it is, but it makes sense.

Big Red Ron
10/29/2008, 01:37 PM
I liked that formula. I have no idea how valid it is, but it makes sense.It makes more sense that osu lost ny 4 and OU lost by 10, so clearly OSU has a better defense/team than OU.

tommieharris91
10/29/2008, 03:49 PM
Yay for pace-adjusted football stats!! Looks like someone in the journalism world decided to try using numbers to prove a point.

Anyway, the stat puts weight much more on what a team does during a possession than over the course of a game. When teams score quickly, obviously the other team gets the ball back a lot faster than if the opposing offense put together long, methodical drives. This creates more possessions in a game for both teams. Yea, scoring fast means your defense is on the field a lot, but if that defense is able to get turnovers and basically stop the other team from scoring, then it isn't a bad thing.

And yes, I do know that keeping a time of possession edge is one of the main keys for winning a football game. However, I know that takeaways are the biggest key to winning a football game (and of course, giveaways are the biggest key to losing). Our defense got 5 takeaways on Saturday, and our offense only gave the ball away once.

the_ouskull
10/29/2008, 07:44 PM

If I had room in my sig, I would totally add this quote...

As for the thread itself... Two things:

1) He's no John Hollinger.
2) When I saw a thread title with "Tramel" and "formula" in it, I, too, was thinking more along these lines:

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1474/147493/300_147493.jpg

..along with a "I guess at some point, it just gets hard to chew food" comment or two... Screw that guy.

the_ouskull