PDA

View Full Version : Any Gene Simmons fans out there

85Sooner
10/28/2008, 05:33 PM
I doubt anyone can say that Gene is not a brilliant marketer but I read a letter to him and thought it was interesting as well as his response.

thought you might find this interesting and would agree. First off, Im not rich. I do very well and would fall into upper middle income, yet I do understand how the current system works with not taxing the upper classes too much. Most people do not! I as a lifelong KISS fan also know that you dont drink, but look over that in this example please. Lee Johnson Charlotte, NC.

Suppose that every day, ten women go out for beer and the bill for all 10 comes to $100.

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go somthing like this:

The first 4 women (the poorest) would pay nothing
The 5th would pay $1
The 6th would pay $3
The 7th would pay $7
The 8th would pay $12
The 9th would pay $18
The 10th (and richest) would pay $59

So, thats what they deiceded to do whenever they would go out for Drinks

The 10 women drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, untill one day when the owner threw them a curve.

He said since you lady's are such good customers and come here every day, Im going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20!
This made the drinks for the 10 only $80!
The Lady's still wanted to pay like they paid their taxes, so the first 4 would not be affected and still drink for free.
BUT what about the 6 others who were paying? How would they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get her fair share?

They realized that $20 divided by 6 is $3.33 and if they subtracted that from everybody's share then the 5th and 6th women would each end up being paid to drink her beer

So the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each women's bill by proportianately existing the amounts they pay.

So he explained:
The 5th women, now like the first 4 would pay nothing (100% saving)
The 6th now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% saving)
The 7th now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% saving)
The 8th now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% saving)
The 9th now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% saving)
The 10th now paid $49 instead of $59 ( 16% saving)

Each of the 6 were better off than before, and the first 4 continued to drink for free! BUT once outside the restaurant, the women began to compare their savings!!

I ONLY got $1 out of the $20 declared the 6th! She then pointed to the 10th women and said, but she got 10!

Yeah! thats right, yelled the 5th women. I saved only $1 too (mind you she is drinking for free) That is unfairshe continued, she got ten times more than I did!

Thats true!!! shouted the 7th women. Why would she get $10 back when I only got $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!

Wait a minute, yelled the first 4 women in unison, we didnt get anything at all.

This system exploits the poor!!

The 9 women surrounded the 10th and decided to beat her up!

The next night the 10th woman didnt show up for drinks, so the 9 sat down and had beers without her.

But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something very important.

They didnt have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

THAT BOYS AND GIRLS, JOURNALISTS AND COLLEGE PROFESSORS, IS HOW OUR TAX SYSTEM WORKS.

THE PEOPLE WHO PAY THE HIGHEST TAXES GET THE MOST BENEFIT FROM THE TAX REDUCTION!!!

TAX THEM TO MUCH, ATTACK THEM FOR BEING WEALTHY AND THEY JUST MIGHT NOT SHOW UP ANYMORE!!! IN FACT, THEY MIGHT START DRINKING OVERSEAS WHERE THE ATMOSPHERE IS SOMEWHAT FRIENDLIER!!!

Response from Gene:

That's a correct assessment.
Which is why Microsoft moved to Canada.
Which is why, when you call an answering service for a major American corporation, the person answering the phone on the other side, lives in INDIA (!!!). Simply because, it's too expensive to do business in America.
It's also why a lot of goods are manufactured overseas -- China and other places.
Whether we think in a "Robin Hood" capacity ("rob from the rich...give to the poor") or, whether it's up to the rich to do as they wish (literally give hundreds of billions yearly to help the less advantaged)....one thing is clear:
Make it too difficult for the rich to do business here and tax them too much....and they will simply take their money elsewhere.
Result? The rest of us get nothing.

Be nice to the rich person, who worked all his life and succeeded
Why?.
Because, I don't remember the last poor person who gave me a job.

TUSooner
10/28/2008, 05:51 PM
I almost didn't read that because I'm not a particular GS or KISS fan. But that was a neat explanation.

SoonerStormchaser
10/28/2008, 06:41 PM
Yep...but you're forgetting that those voting for BHO don't care...they just want THEIR taxes to be lowered.

85Sooner
10/28/2008, 06:48 PM
Yep...but you're forgetting that those voting for BHO don't care...they just want THEIR taxes to be lowered.

but then they can't have anymore beer. NO BEER WELFARE I SAY!

SoonerStormchaser
10/28/2008, 06:52 PM
No ****...beer welfare sucks...that's why I wanna be on OVJ welfare!

Vaevictis
10/28/2008, 11:41 PM
Too bad Gene doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.

Fraggle145
10/29/2008, 12:00 AM
Be nice to the rich person, who worked all his life and succeeded

What about the spoiled rich brat that got everything handed to him on a silver platter and is now playing with Daddy's money?

I got three words for you... ****. That. Guy. :D

85Sooner
10/29/2008, 06:37 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah..................right

85Sooner
10/29/2008, 06:38 AM
What about the spoiled rich brat that got everything handed to him on a silver platter and is now playing with Daddy's money?

I got three words for you... ****. That. Guy. :D

well that would not be the rich guy who worked all his life and succeeded wouldn't it.

OU4LIFE
10/29/2008, 07:23 AM

so, poor people CAN give me a job?

IN

stoopified
10/29/2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah,I love his SWEATING TO THE OLDIES tape. :D:D:D:D

SoonerInKCMO
10/29/2008, 08:28 AM
Response from Gene:

That's a correct assessment.
Which is why Microsoft moved to Canada.
Last I checked, Microsoft is still HQed in Redmond. They do some development work in Canada but that's because there aren't enough H1-Bs available to get all the people they need in the U.S. And, I'm pretty sure Canada's taxes are higher than ours anyway.
Which is why, when you call an answering service for a major American corporation, the person answering the phone on the other side, lives in INDIA (!!!). Simply because, it's too expensive to do business in America.
Are we seriously trying to say that wages in India are 1/10 of those in the U.S. because of differing tax structures?
It's also why a lot of goods are manufactured overseas -- China and other places.
Again, this is because of taxes how? Could it be that China has a billion people whose choices are: 1) Make cheap crap in a factory for $1/day; or, 2) be a subsistence farmer?

:rolleyes:

Vaevictis
10/29/2008, 11:10 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah..................right

You don't offshore your production to save on income taxes, because you don't earn income where you produce, you earn income where you sell.

C'mon guys, I know you want to believe this stuff, but try to engage your brain just a little bit, ok?

There are ways high income taxes will push parts of companies overseas, but production isn't one of those parts.

Vaevictis
10/29/2008, 11:12 AM
so, poor people CAN give me a job?

IN

Yeah, they can. Anyone who sells to poor people is, in essence, getting a job from them.

StoopTroup
10/29/2008, 11:17 AM
Gene put Kiss together.

Gene is now rich.

Gene is Jewish.

I don't see anything there...nope...

He must have gotten lucky.

Vaevictis
10/29/2008, 11:25 AM
Gene put Kiss together.

Gene is now rich.

Gene is Jewish.

I don't see anything there...nope...

He must have gotten lucky.

When it comes to making money in the music business, Gene clearly knows what he's talking about.

When it comes to why folks offshore production, he clearly doesn't.

(Assuming this is actually Gene Simmons that said this. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a complete fabrication.)

StoopTroup
10/29/2008, 11:41 AM
I wasn't overwhelmed as a Rock Fan when Kiss came out.

I thought they were a novelty that would probably fade away.

I was wrong.

As I got older I started listening to them more and realized the hard work those guys put into it.

Gene is what made it great. Without him it would have faded IMO.

I admire him as an artist...he blazed a trail in Rock n Roll that many others followed...

He marketed the product better than anyone could have imagined IMO.

Is he the best businessman?

Even Donald Trump has had some losers....but just like The Donald...Gene keeps right on truckin'...

I like his reality show.

His Wife is awesome.

He seems like a lonely guy sometimes.

The Carrot Top as a friend deal is awesome.

CT is one whacked out dude....it's funny to watch Gene and him together.

Viking Kitten
10/29/2008, 11:44 AM
ST, have you been taking paragraph structuring tips from Jenni Carlson?

StoopTroup
10/29/2008, 12:02 PM
ST, have you been taking paragraph structuring tips from Jenni Carlson?

Nope...

It's easier for me to proof read.

I think I'm going blind.

Is there a "Big Print" Version of this board I can download? :D

soonerscuba
10/29/2008, 12:08 PM
A poor person has never given me a job, but as defined by credits and debits, a poor entity has.

Also, if it isn't 1977 and you're not 13 years-old, KISS should probably be a joke to you.

Taxman71
10/29/2008, 12:10 PM
Gene Simmons isn't married, never had been.

Also, if you think KISS is a joke, you are probably listening to Coldplay right now.

Vaevictis
10/29/2008, 12:13 PM
Some jokes are fun. KISS is one of them.

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2008, 12:16 PM
It's interesting that celebrities shouldn't discuss politics. Unless they agree with us.

85Sooner
10/29/2008, 12:40 PM
It's interesting that celebrities shouldn't discuss politics. Unless they agree with us.

Gene doesn't agree with me or vice versa. He DOES have his own website where he answers questions from fans himself. Some are typical fan related stuff but many are on business and political and social and religious issues. Overall he is very very well read and quite articulate. Speaks somethign like 8 languages fluently. He is a great marketer no question about that but he reminds me of Barry Switzer in that what you see is what you get and I DO admire that in a celebrity.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/29/2008, 12:56 PM
Did someone say simmons?

http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/richard-simmons.jpg