PDA

View Full Version : Texas coaches provide a clue to beating OSU

footballfanatic
10/28/2008, 01:29 PM
Texas coaches said after the game that they were more worried about stopping Dez Bryant than the running game, and designed the defense to have more bodies in the secondary. They rushed three men, which created fairly big holes in the defensive front, and OSU exploited this by running for big yardage. Something the coaches didn't count on was how poorly the Texas defense tackled, and the OSU backs amassed many yards, many of them after first contact. Still, they did a good job of shutting down Dez Bryant, who was an insignificant figure in the game. OSU has a fine offense, with great players, but their defense is nothing special. I see you pulling away in the second half.

swardboy
10/28/2008, 01:39 PM
...first you get sheep on the sidelines to distract the players....

fadada1
10/28/2008, 01:41 PM

almost seems too easy when you put it like that.:D

CobraKai
10/28/2008, 01:44 PM
almost seems too easy when you put it like that.:D

Its hard to do in Stillwater. Remember that they have that cool livestock gate on the sidelines.

picasso
10/28/2008, 05:29 PM
yep, Dez never was in the game but we kinda shut him down last year too.

seems like a good strategy provided you don't give up 20 yard runs.

one could say that if Gundy had kept pounding the RB they just might have beaten Texas.

swardboy
10/28/2008, 05:34 PM
I'm hopeful that our running game will keep improving as it did last week. As much as we throw the ball I've been shocked at how ineffective the run has been. This may prove vital to subduing the pokies.

picasso
10/28/2008, 05:40 PM
it looks to me like Demarco has decided to go for it Jerry.

ARW3
10/28/2008, 05:54 PM
I don't expect our linebacker play to be any better than Texas' at stopping the run in a 3 man front.

tommieharris91
10/28/2008, 06:12 PM
Meh, Texas Tech gets them before we do.

soonerinabilene
10/28/2008, 06:17 PM
I don't expect our linebacker play to be any better than Texas' at stopping the run in a 3 man front.

i expect our VERY YOUNG linebackers to get better every game, because they get this thing called experience with every game they play.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/28/2008, 07:39 PM

At least there won't be a conflict between the sheep and the cheerleaders over how much grass each gets to graze on, now that forecl[hairGel]re has installed FieldTurf.

85sooners
10/28/2008, 07:44 PM
:texan:

Big Red Ron
10/28/2008, 07:51 PM
I fully expect aggie to be aggie and we win. They're defense can't slow us down.

Big Red Ron
10/28/2008, 07:56 PM
I meant their not they're. BTWw these are my first attempt to post on my phone. kinda wierd.

stoopified
10/29/2008, 07:36 AM
I say the way to beat the cowpukes is to stuff the run and force Zac to beat you with his arm.I have yet to see any inkling he is capaable of carrying the Neon Orange via the air.

MrJimBeam
10/29/2008, 08:16 AM
Can anyone off the top of their heads name another wide receiver for the aggies? Stop Dez and make one of their other hacks beat you.

CU Sooner
10/29/2008, 09:02 AM
Agreed, make zac throw. What i saw last week is if he doesn't see his first read open he tucks the ball and tries to run even if there isn't anything. He has no patience in the pocket.

EnragedOUfan
10/29/2008, 09:14 AM
What in the h#ll do Texas coaches know on ways to beating Oklahoma State? Oklahoma State beat themselves in Austin, not Texas. Had Oklahoma State not roughed the passer, Colt McCoy, the greater than 80% pass completer due to swing and screen passes would have had 2 interceptions. The score could have been 31-28 or 31-31(Texas would have kicked the field goal in the 4th quarter) had Hunter not fumbled the ball inside the Texas 20 in the first half. I'm sick of hearing how great Texas is. Obviously they're undefeated and have been getting the necessary breaks here and there that are needed in order to compete for championships, but I don't think they're a good as ESPN or Sports Illustrated makes them out to be. Unlike Oklahoma state who could have beaten Texas, OU had Texas beat until OU started beating themselves, not to mention injuries, bad calls, the crucial special teams play, and bone headed coaching by our coaching staff i.e. not going for it on 4th and 2. As to beating Oklahoma State, like everyone else said, stop Hunter and try and attempt to stop Dez Bryant. I feel relieved............

BOOMER!

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2008, 09:37 AM
You know, there's a reason why they call those "high percentage passes".

St. Louis Sooner
10/29/2008, 09:42 AM
Agreed, make zac throw. What i saw last week is if he doesn't see his first read open he tucks the ball and tries to run even if there isn't anything. He has no patience in the pocket.

BINGO!! saw it too ... he'd totally give up looking for open receivers, try to find an open space, tuck the ball and run like an aggie; IF his coaches give him guidance to stop and look again, he'll be much more effective;

the key to beating the pokes - besides stopping dez - is getting the ball back so we can get them in a hole; if we can force them to play catch up, their scheme of ball control will work against them;

swardboy
10/29/2008, 10:21 AM
If there's one thing we've proven capable of, it's getting out to a quick lead. I predict the sheep panic.

JUST COVER THE KICKOFFS!!!!!

UTgolfer
10/29/2008, 12:04 PM
What in the h#ll do Texas coaches know on ways to beating Oklahoma State? Oklahoma State beat themselves in Austin, not Texas. Had Oklahoma State not roughed the passer, Colt McCoy, the greater than 80% pass completer due to swing and screen passes would have had 2 interceptions. The score could have been 31-28 or 31-31(Texas would have kicked the field goal in the 4th quarter) had Hunter not fumbled the ball inside the Texas 20 in the first half. I'm sick of hearing how great Texas is. Obviously they're undefeated and have been getting the necessary breaks here and there that are needed in order to compete for championships, but I don't think they're a good as ESPN or Sports Illustrated makes them out to be. Unlike Oklahoma state who could have beaten Texas, OU had Texas beat until OU started beating themselves, not to mention injuries, bad calls, the crucial special teams play, and bone headed coaching by our coaching staff i.e. not going for it on 4th and 2. As to beating Oklahoma State, like everyone else said, stop Hunter and try and attempt to stop Dez Bryant. I feel relieved............

BOOMER!

Coulda, shoulda, woulda....didn't. Next.

picasso
10/29/2008, 12:23 PM
well we most certainly would have won had Greg Davis called better plays and Mack played Ced Benson.:D

TexasLidig8r
10/29/2008, 02:38 PM

BOOMER!
Paragraphs.. they are your friend.

Oh.. as for Texas coaches.. Mack at Texas has NEVER lost to Okie Lite.

picasso
10/29/2008, 04:29 PM
Paragraphs.. they are your friend.

Oh.. as for Texas coaches.. Mack at Texas has NEVER lost to Okie Lite.

and Stoops has never lost to Coach Frannie.

footballfanatic
10/29/2008, 05:23 PM

BOOMER!

What is it with the 40% of OU fans who can never ever admit that they were outplayed? Texas wore down OU and deserved the win. You are delusional if you think otherwise. Look at the second half scoring. In fact, OU is lucky the game ended when it did--it could and would have been worse. The OSU game was tough. Frankly, OSU's defense was better than OU's. Their running game was better, as well. While you may think you're going to march into Stillwater and win easily, you had better pray that the OU coaches don't agree with you. They are a good team. if they win, it won't be an upset.

picasso
10/29/2008, 05:29 PM
very out played. the game reminded me a lot of the '02 game, except the roles were reversed.

but it was a game of breaks and UT seemed to get them this year. I mean who knows how last year's game would have ended had Charles not been stripped whilst about to score.

MojoRisen
10/29/2008, 05:43 PM
Texas goes down to Tech - their fortune will run out.. They did not dominate either game and Tech will be at their house this time...

TexasLidig8r
10/29/2008, 05:49 PM
Texas goes down to Tech - their fortune will run out.. They did not dominate either game and Tech will be at their house this time...

The sand aggies are calling this game their biggest in their school's history..

It's not even Texas' biggest game this month.

If Texas can hold up under the initial onslaught, we'll be fine.

MojoRisen
10/29/2008, 06:00 PM
Biggest game ever! Wow they may actually choke then...

Texas has lost down there before though to lesser teams. Texas has a lot of confidence - but Tech will without a doubt try and score everytime they have the ball- none of this let's try and establish the running game when UT's secondary was bleeding all over the feild against OU...

They will be on their own down in lubbuck with no crowd to lean on to get pumped up. If I were Texas I would want the lead early as it may not be that easy to getback 2 TD's this year..

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2008, 06:11 PM
I see TT winning this game -- and then I wake up and remember it's TT, and they don't win games like this.

Jacie
10/29/2008, 06:20 PM
To all of you fellow Sooners predicting (hoping) for Texas' demise at the hands of Terry and the Pirates:

Watch OUr game, not theirs. If you don't heed my advice, you'll only develop stomach ulcers.

This year Texas is that good (they beat Oklahoma, didn't they?), maybe they have God on their side or Mack finally did sell his soul. Whatever you believe, the facts are the horns survived do-they-have-a-name-for-it-yet? October and need only beat sand aggie to finish off the last of the Big XII unbeatens. Orange is going to hand red it's a** on Saturday.

It is time to get over OUr collective hate of all things Texas and channel it into respect. I think we've seen glimmers of that from their side and it is OUr turn to give them their due.

OSUAggie
10/29/2008, 07:07 PM

BOOMER!

eh?

Texas beat us with sound schemes and a machine at QB throwing to sticky-fingered pass catchers that proved to be tough as hell.

Hunter's fumble and the negated interception weren't the reasons OSU lost. The inability to generate stops on 3rd down and not running the ball enough were the deciding factors.

footballfanatic
10/29/2008, 08:42 PM
They are saying on Austin radio that Texas, OU, OSU and MAYBE Tech could smoke either Alabama or Penn State. I agree. USC at their best would be hard to beat, though. I hope they don't make it to the championship game-they don't deserve it.

tommieharris91
10/29/2008, 09:26 PM
Haha, USC would get smoked by OU, OSU, Tech, and texass as well.

OUmillenium
10/29/2008, 09:28 PM
Has Brent Venables ever gameplanned to stop the other teams best player? Site examples please...