PDA

View Full Version : Teh Flu Shot

Oldnslo
10/28/2008, 10:04 AM
I haz it.

:gary:

I hope they guessed right on the strain.

1890MilesToNorman
10/28/2008, 10:09 AM
I'z don't trust'em. Ain't had one since I was a teen. Over the past couple of years I have become leery of our medical establishment, no treatment beyond drugs, cutting and radiation. All of which the body wasn't designed to handle. These observations are from 1st hand experiences with family members which made the original issues worse or added issues to the equation.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/28/2008, 10:16 AM
I got one two or three years ago.

I usually get the flu, battle for a few days, and bam. Right back in the saddle. When I got a flu shot, I was down for damn near two weeks. It kicked my ***.

Flu shots are de debbil!

proud gonzo
10/28/2008, 12:41 PM
i agree. I haven't had the flu since i stopped getting flu shots.

picasso
10/28/2008, 12:42 PM
they have mist ones you can inhale these days. more effective too, I highly recommend one.

BudSooner
10/28/2008, 12:44 PM
I dunno since the last time I had a flu shot, I felt 10 times worse afterwards.
But right now i'm fighting off one of the nasty buggers, so I may try the inhaler type.
Pic, did you get this yourself or was it a family member?

proud gonzo
10/28/2008, 12:48 PM
they have mist ones you can inhale these days. more effective too, I highly recommend one.
that just screams "BAD IDEA" to me. Yes, send flu **** directly to where I don't want it!

RiddlerOK
10/28/2008, 12:54 PM
Got mine and didn't have to pay. Yay!

BudSooner
10/28/2008, 01:48 PM
Our company is supposed to have free flu shots for the employees and i'm debating on getting one or not.

I can deal with a snot fest for a couple days but a week of being down for the shot...no way.

Oldnslo
10/28/2008, 01:51 PM
People die from the flu.

I've had me some flu. I'll take cold symptoms for a couple days instead; that's what the shot will gimme. With the flu I was down. Way down. Boone Pickens Hedge Fund down.

OUDoc
10/28/2008, 02:20 PM
Notice I'm staying out of this.
Oldnslo is a wise man.
For a lawyer. :)

SteelClip49
10/28/2008, 02:20 PM
I got mine 2 weeks ago for free at the OUHSC and I got a sparkly bandage and a lollipop.

proud gonzo
10/28/2008, 02:37 PM
People die from the flu.

I've had me some flu. I'll take cold symptoms for a couple days instead; that's what the shot will gimme. With the flu I was down. Way down. Boone Pickens Hedge Fund down.
yeah, i'd be fine with that if that was what happened. flu shots don't just give me sniffles for a couple of days. It gives me full-blown flu AND a grapefruit-sized knot on my arm.

Widescreen
10/28/2008, 03:08 PM
I've gotten a free flu shot for the last several years at work. I haven't had the flu once during that time. The shot location is sore for a couple of days though. No other shot I get has that affect on me.

badger
10/28/2008, 03:08 PM
Work has us have them and they are free. Your arm will be bruised with a mild strain of influenza for a few days, but other than that, um... take yer vittles and drink yer oh jay?

SoonerStormchaser
10/28/2008, 04:01 PM
Mandatory for me...cuz us flyers gots to fly!

soonerbrat
10/28/2008, 04:10 PM
my company is having a big health fair next week and giving free flu shots...but darnit, I'm gonna be out of town.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/28/2008, 04:17 PM
How come you guys keep talking about your arm swelling up?

Last time I got one, my butt hurt for a week.

PhiDeltBeers
10/28/2008, 04:19 PM
I'm gettin mine Thursday....Boy I hate needles. I'm a sissy.

picasso
10/28/2008, 05:17 PM
I dunno since the last time I had a flu shot, I felt 10 times worse afterwards.
But right now i'm fighting off one of the nasty buggers, so I may try the inhaler type.
Pic, did you get this yourself or was it a family member?

wife's mother works for a hospitallio.:)

Turd_Ferguson
10/28/2008, 07:07 PM
My wife brings one home from the Hospital every year and gives it to me. I didn't know you had to take the flu shot with a 7 gauge needle:confused:

olevetonahill
10/28/2008, 07:23 PM
I guess this is a personal choice for most .
I usually get one every year and have never gotten sick or sore.
As was said Folks DIE from the flu . Never heqard of anyone Dying from the shot .
Just a FYI my Grandpa Died in the Flu epidemic in 1918 .

SouthFortySooner
10/28/2008, 07:48 PM
I has worked in clinic 22 years. The misunderstanding is mostly heard at the grocery store. One Granny to teh other, "how you been?, "oh I had that ole flu last week".

She or most of "you" folks that do not get a flu shot probably have never had it. There is quite the difference between the cold virus and the flu virus.

I'm first in line and take tanother one in late Dec. :D

colleyvillesooner
10/28/2008, 07:53 PM
got one Friday before OU TEXAS. Still not 100%.

Just sayin.

olevetonahill
10/28/2008, 07:55 PM
My wife brings one home from the Hospital every year and gives it to me. I didn't know you had to take the flu shot with a 7 gauge needle:confused:

But is she Kind and gentle givin it to you ?
Ya know one year in the Left nut the next in the right ?

SouthFortySooner
10/28/2008, 07:59 PM
7 ga. needle :eek: The mortician doesn't use one that big to pump teh formaldehyde.

jkjsooner
10/28/2008, 08:05 PM
I'z don't trust'em. Ain't had one since I was a teen. Over the past couple of years I have become leery of our medical establishment, no treatment beyond drugs, cutting and radiation. All of which the body wasn't designed to handle. These observations are from 1st hand experiences with family members which made the original issues worse or added issues to the equation.

Well, go back and live in the 18th or 19th century and see how much better you had it.....

I am happy we no longer have to worry about getting polio and that the majority of people to die during wars is no longer due to disease.

I'm assuming if you snapped a major bone in two and the doctor said it needed pins in it you'd be happy for them to cut and give medecine.

olevetonahill
10/28/2008, 08:08 PM
7 ga. needle :eek: The mortician doesn't use one that big to pump teh formaldehyde.

The Mortician dont LOVES him Like His wife LOVES him .;)

Turd_Ferguson
10/28/2008, 08:10 PM
But is she Kind and gentle givin it to you ?
Ya know one year in the Left nut the next in the right ?No, it always goes right into the jugular.:confused:

jkjsooner
10/28/2008, 08:11 PM
The whole vaccines caused my kid to be autistic is highly suspect too. The fact is that autism become apparent right at the age that kids are generally vaccinated and everyone wants to find somewhere to point the finger.

olevetonahill
10/28/2008, 08:13 PM
No, it always goes right into the jugular.:confused:

So yer saying She REALLY LOVES you .:D

C&CDean
10/28/2008, 08:23 PM
Let's see......

-Am I really old? Nope.
-Am I really weak? Nope.
-Am I the sickly type? Nope.
-Am I gay? Nope.

Therefore, I wouldn't let those **********s stick that flu crap into my body for a brazillion dollars.

I had one flu shot in my life. I had to cause I was in the military. Damn near died. I know a buttload of people who get it every year. Every one of them is constantly taking antibiotics for something. I haven't taken an antiobiotic since 1977. When I tell them "why are you always sick and I'm always well yet you get the shot anyhow?" they go "who knows, it won't give you the flu cause it's a dead virus..."

What the **** ever. I'll take my tetanus. That **** will kill you. The flu? If you're old, sick, weak, or gay then yes, it can kill you deader than hell. However, if you're halfway healthy, the shot is just gonna make you sick, or else some other strain of that crap will crawl up your ******* and get you anyhow.

PT Barnum said it best. And suckers stand in line for that ****ing shot. Not this sucker.

olevetonahill
10/28/2008, 08:36 PM
Dean , I nevar Got to Know My Granpa He died when My Dad was 6 months Old .
#1 he wasnt old
#2 He wasnt sickly
#3 he wernt Ghey hence My daddy wouldnt have been here to make me :P
#4 dont Know if he was weak , But the one Pic ive seen I d say No .
So it goes back to a personal choice IMHO .

C&CDean
10/28/2008, 08:52 PM
Dude, in 1919 people died of the ****s. It's 2008. If you eat right, exercise, and get plenty of sleep, you're pretty much good - unless you're weak, sickly, .....

olevetonahill
10/28/2008, 08:55 PM
Dude, in 1919 people died of the ****s. It's 2008. If you eat right, exercise, and get plenty of sleep, you're pretty much good - unless you're weak, sickly, .....

I aint weak nor sickly
But I dont do that other stuff either
I dont have a Great woman to make sure I eatright . Im to lasy to exercise. My sleep has been ****ed up for years .:eek:
Ill take the shot .:cool:

C&CDean
10/28/2008, 09:16 PM
I'll take a shot too. Whisky. Straight up. **** that bull**** the doc sticks in your arm. Doctors kill more people every year than AIDS, bullets, cars, plane crashes, and damn sure enough the flu. Combined. Just sayin'.

GottaHavePride
10/28/2008, 11:40 PM
I has worked in clinic 22 years. The misunderstanding is mostly heard at the grocery store. One Granny to teh other, "how you been?, "oh I had that ole flu last week".

She or most of "you" folks that do not get a flu shot probably have never had it. There is quite the difference between the cold virus and the flu virus.

I'm first in line and take tanother one in late Dec. :D

EXACTLY.

One of my co-workers claims he had the flu a couple of weeks ago. He felt bad for a couple of days. I told him "If that had been the flu, your BONES would hurt, you wouldn't be able to get out of bed for two weeks, and you wouldn't have ben able to keep any food down, either. You had a COLD."

His reaction was "well, there are a lot of different strains of the flu". Which is crap - they're all influenza, they all manifest in pretty much the same way, and they do NOT just give you the sniffles.

I refuse to get a flu shot. I got sick every damn year like clockwork in the winter until I stopped getting flu shots. I've been fine ever since.

olevetonahill
10/28/2008, 11:56 PM
I'll take a shot too. Whisky. Straight up. **** that bull**** the doc sticks in your arm. Doctors kill more people every year than AIDS, bullets, cars, plane crashes, and damn sure enough the flu. Combined. Just sayin'.

Yer nuttier than a Nutty bar . Must be why I like you .
If I make it to the nebbish Game we gots to do shots Of the OVJ ;)

OUDoc
10/29/2008, 08:11 AM

Seriously, Dean?
Someone needs to check your house for gas leaks, unless you think the ONG man is trying to kill you too.

http://meltyourfaceoff.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2008, 08:56 AM
Last time I got some, my butt hurt for a week.

...couldn't help myself.

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2008, 09:00 AM
Let's see......

-Am I really old? Nope.
-Am I really weak? Nope.
-Am I gay? Nope.

Therefore, I wouldn't let those **********s stick that flu crap into my body for a brazillion dollars.

I had one flu shot in my life. I had to cause I was in the military. Damn near died. I know a buttload of people who get it every year. Every one of them is constantly taking antibiotics for something. I haven't taken an antiobiotic since 1977. When I tell them "why are you always sick and I'm always well yet you get the shot anyhow?" they go "who knows, it won't give you the flu cause it's a dead virus..."

What the **** ever. I'll take my tetanus. That **** will kill you. The flu? If you're old, sick, weak, or gay then yes, it can kill you deader than hell. However, if you're halfway healthy, the shot is just gonna make you sick, or else some other strain of that crap will crawl up your ******* and get you anyhow.

PT Barnum said it best. And suckers stand in line for that ****ing shot. Not this sucker.

I got 20 flu shots in a row when I was in the military. Never got the flu, once. This was while confined on a submarine, traveling around the world. Mebbe the shot was bogus, but why stop now?

Oh...and I do the other "shot" as well, Dean.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2008, 09:09 AM

In the butt?

colleyvillesooner
10/29/2008, 09:30 AM
Let's see......

-Am I really old? Nope.
-Am I really weak? Nope.
-Am I gay? Nope.

I agree. I got it for the first time ever this year (Doctor advised since wife is pregnant) and it put me down for almost 2 weeks.

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2008, 09:32 AM
Quote:

In the butt?

Does Dean?

I mean...?

:eek:

StoopTroup
10/29/2008, 10:40 AM
I've been riding my Harley home every night this week.

I've been looking Mr. Cold and Flu bug right in the eye and sayin' "Gimme your best shot Muther****er!".

No spray...no shot...no shi*....

I had a shot of whisky and went to bed last night.

I'm good to go today.

That is all...

picasso
10/29/2008, 12:19 PM
The whole vaccines caused my kid to be autistic is highly suspect too. The fact is that autism become apparent right at the age that kids are generally vaccinated and everyone wants to find somewhere to point the finger.

from what I understand, Autism is diagnosed with a broad brush these days, where as many symptoms in the past would not be called said disease today.

picasso
10/29/2008, 12:20 PM
I've never gotten sick from a flu shot. guess I'm lucky Jerry.

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2008, 12:26 PM
Got mine this morning.

Arm fell off and I have infected all of East Norman.

Efficiency knows another name: LB

C&CDean
10/29/2008, 12:58 PM
I got 20 flu shots in a row when I was in the military. Never got the flu, once. This was while confined on a submarine, traveling around the world. Mebbe the shot was bogus, but why stop now?

If I was confined to a can with a bunch of whoring mother****ers I'd probably get one too.

As you know, I work in a facility where we average 900+ people from all over the country - and world - each and every week. We eat, work out, work, take dumps, etc. in very close proximity to each other. Every kind of bug out there will find it's way into our place.

I don't get one, but a whole bunch of people I work with do. Every one of them is constantly coughing, hacking, and taking time off. Is it the flu? Prolly not, but they're sickly as hell.

I've had the real deal maybe 3-4 times in my adult life. What everyone goes around calling "the flu" usually ain't. If it's the real thing, you are one sick puppy. Fever, chills, aches, pains, and a general feeling of wishing somebody would hit you with a giant mallet and put you out of your misery. The cold, sniffles, coughing, blitzing ****s, etc. ain't "the flu."

I figure I've had it enough times to act as an immunization of sorts. That's all a flu shot is anyhow. A baby does of the ****. Yes, I realize there are new strains of flu every year, and I might catch one of those, but getting a flu shot is no guarantee that you won't catch the same bug.

Go ahead and get your shot if it makes you feel better. Alls I know is that the guys who get flu shots ride mopeds and the guys who don't, don't. :eek:

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah!

You frilly underwear wearin' flu-shot havers!

jkjsooner
10/29/2008, 03:29 PM
Speaking of influenze, are there any epidemiologists out there? I have a question.

I read a while ago that one reason the major flu outbreaks such as the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak was so lethal was because we had never been exposed to a closely related strain. From what I read was that the Spanish flu strain wasn't, by itself, so lethal. It was the idea that we had absolutely no resistence to anything like it.

Since reading that I haven't found any other article that stated it quite that way so I'm not sure how accurate that information is.

Some say we shouldn't do mass vaccinations on today's H5N1 strain because the strain that will be transmissable from human to human will be different anyway and we won't have immunity to that strain.

But, if we have immunity to a similar strain won't that gives us a good level of protection? Why not go ahead and start the process of mass-vaccinations? (I know it takes years to do so.) From what I read it sounds like after a vaccination of today's strain, we would have a good chance of just getting sick with the mutated strain as opposed to having a 20% or so death rate from it.

C&CDean
10/29/2008, 08:06 PM
Speaking of influenze, are there any epidemiologists out there? I have a question.

I read a while ago that one reason the major flu outbreaks such as the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak was so lethal was because we had never been exposed to a closely related strain. From what I read was that the Spanish flu strain wasn't, by itself, so lethal. It was the idea that we had absolutely no resistence to anything like it.

Since reading that I haven't found any other article that stated it quite that way so I'm not sure how accurate that information is.

Some say we shouldn't do mass vaccinations on today's H5N1 strain because the strain that will be transmissable from human to human will be different anyway and we won't have immunity to that strain.

But, if we have immunity to a similar strain won't that gives us a good level of protection? Why not go ahead and start the process of mass-vaccinations? (I know it takes years to do so.) From what I read it sounds like after a vaccination of today's strain, we would have a good chance of just getting sick with the mutated strain as opposed to having a 20% or so death rate from it.

Uh how about we just eat our vegetables, work out, enjoy life, and not worry about the ****ing flu? Oh yeah, mass vaccinate this. When there's anything "mass" I'm out. In a big way.

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2008, 08:11 PM
If I was confined to a can with a bunch of whoring mother****ers I'd probably get one too.

As you know, I work in a facility where we average 900+ people from all over the country - and world - each and every week. We eat, work out, work, take dumps, etc. in very close proximity to each other. Every kind of bug out there will find it's way into our place.

I don't get one, but a whole bunch of people I work with do. Every one of them is constantly coughing, hacking, and taking time off. Is it the flu? Prolly not, but they're sickly as hell.

I've had the real deal maybe 3-4 times in my adult life. What everyone goes around calling "the flu" usually ain't. If it's the real thing, you are one sick puppy. Fever, chills, aches, pains, and a general feeling of wishing somebody would hit you with a giant mallet and put you out of your misery. The cold, sniffles, coughing, blitzing ****s, etc. ain't "the flu."

I figure I've had it enough times to act as an immunization of sorts. That's all a flu shot is anyhow. A baby does of the ****. Yes, I realize there are new strains of flu every year, and I might catch one of those, but getting a flu shot is no guarantee that you won't catch the same bug.

Go ahead and get your shot if it makes you feel better. Alls I know is that the guys who get flu shots ride mopeds and the guys who don't, don't. :eek:

There is so much excellence in that post.

I do remember when I worked in that building of yours there were quite a number of folks from all over the country extremely interested in the great Oklahoma outdoors...at least the part within 5 feet of a buttkit.

Oh, and it's not a Moped. If the motor quits, I'm SOL. It's a NoPed.

C&CDean
10/29/2008, 08:16 PM
Hey, you gotta be a tough SOB to be seen on whatever the **** it is you ride up to the tailgates on. You and Jed could be lovers you know.

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2008, 08:23 PM
Well....

It IS red.

C&CDean
10/29/2008, 08:28 PM
I coulda sworn it were yeller...

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2008, 08:29 PM
OVJ-goggles

C&CDean
10/29/2008, 08:37 PM
Perhaps...

picasso
10/30/2008, 05:13 PM
ok ya goobs. my old lady says the flu shot takes 2 weeks to take effect so any of you who get sick after getting are either sick already or sleepin around again.

olevetonahill
10/30/2008, 05:24 PM
ok ya goobs. my old lady says the flu shot takes 2 weeks to take effect so any of you who get sick after getting are either sick already or sleepin around again.

Bitches Man Bitches . they all Lie.