PDA

View Full Version : OU vs. NU

huskermark07
10/27/2008, 08:49 PM
Just a question to see how you all feel? Should the OU vs. NU be played every year or are you happy with the current setup we have in the BIG 12? I would like to play your team every year.

What are your thoughts.

Crimson_Balls
10/27/2008, 08:50 PM
gay

swardboy
10/27/2008, 08:52 PM
Callahan killed it for me....dissed the OU fandom and drug the program into a gutter. NU is just another team in the Big 12 north.

huskermark07
10/27/2008, 08:56 PM
Callahan killed it for me....dissed the OU fandom and drug the program into a gutter. NU is just another team in the Big 12 north.

Callahan was an idiot from day 1, most if not all Husker fans will say that and his remarks towords your team were no taken well here either.

bluedogok
10/27/2008, 08:56 PM
What was...was and will never be the same again. As swardboy said, it is just another game against a Big 12 North team now. Just like if OU-Texas was moved to a home and home series, it would be a "bigger" home game than most other Big 12 South games but it would never be the Red River Shootout. The qualities that make it "special" would just be lost in the change.

Dan Thompson
10/27/2008, 08:58 PM
Yes, would like to see the series restarted.

OKLA21FAN
10/27/2008, 08:58 PM
play 11 conference games in the big 12 with one non conference game.......

thread ovar............

oh wait....nevar mind, not such a great idea:gary:

Crimson_Balls
10/27/2008, 09:01 PM
The inception of the Big XII killed OU/Nebraska...

GimmeRed
10/27/2008, 09:03 PM
play 11 conference games in the big 12 with one non conference game.......

thread ovar............

oh wait....nevar mind, not such a great idea:gary:

Every time 2 big XII teams play each other one of them has to lose. Not a very good way to show a strong conference.

huskermark07
10/27/2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry but the Big 8 screwed the pooch when we let in four Texas teams and let this series fall by the side, and chose to have a championship game to make matters worse.

sooner94
10/27/2008, 09:16 PM
But weren't we just another Big 8 team/Big 12 team before Stoops arrived? Didn't Nebraska beat us by 60+ back then? We came back from the dead. Yeah, they made a bad decision on a head coach. But didn't we do the same? Remember Schnelly and Blake?

I would like to play this game every year. Nebraska has the tradition like we do. That doesn't go away because of Callahan. Of all the old Big 8 teams, I think Nebraska is the one we should play every year.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/27/2008, 09:23 PM
Sorry but the Big 8 screwed the pooch when we let in four Texas teams and let this series fall by the side, and chose to have a championship game to make matters worse.

Despite the fact that by letting in the more moneyed members of the SWC, the NCAA essentially unzipped its fly on the Big 8, I have a real hard time arguing against any sort of CCG. Especially when two years ago, having a CCG made OU-Nebraska relevant again, and having been there, I can say what a wonderful feeling that was. The best moment of the game for me was shortly before pregame, standing on the sidelines, and walking over to tell some Nebraska fans how much I loved their sign, which read "OU-Nebraska. The way it should be. God bless the Big 8." Nothing but respect for UNL.

huskermark07
10/27/2008, 09:29 PM
Well I am looking foreword to the game this weekend, wish I could be there!!
Next year when the game is in Lincoln I hope the Huskers are better and OU is at the top of thier game, I always enjoy buying drinks for a Sooner fan win or lose.

soonerinabilene
10/27/2008, 09:52 PM
I think that Pelini is going to turn Nebraska around, and get them back on top of the north. I also think that he is not a pile of dooshfaggery with a headset like his predecessor. Those two things will help restore the rivalry, imo. I dont think that a single Sooner or Husker fan really like the two year rotation.

Harry Beanbag
10/27/2008, 10:33 PM
I grew up watching the great games of the 70's and 80's, but I don't lose any sleep over not playing them every year now days. Osborne and Callahan lost nearly all of the reverence for the rivalry that I used to have.

huskermark07
10/27/2008, 10:40 PM
I grew up watching the great games of the 70's and 80's, but I don't lose any sleep over not playing them every year now days. Osborne and Callahan lost nearly all of the reverence for the rivalry that I used to have.

Come on how did Osborne lose it for you? I can see the idiot Callahan. We took a beating at times under TO and TO repaid those beatings, You all have the upper hand on that.

Harry Beanbag
10/27/2008, 10:44 PM
Come on how did Osborne lose it for you? I can see the idiot Callahan. We took a beating at times under TO and TO repaid those beatings, You all have the upper hand on that.

Really? Show me where Switzer rubbed Nebraska's nose in the dirt and ran up 69+ points on Osborne.

huskermark07
10/27/2008, 10:45 PM
Will the moderators pin this for the week?

tbl
10/27/2008, 10:46 PM
I'm kind of surprised that so many of you guys don't want this rivalry back... It was always TX & Nebraska, but we actually had a pretty respectful rivalry with UNL. It was a nice break from the hatred with TX. I don't consider OSU a rivalry because I don't consider them...

MissouriSooner
10/27/2008, 10:46 PM
Hopefully, we can renew the rivalry in the Big 12 Championship game each year, provided Nebraska can start getting back to that game, a prospect that appears to be getting progressively more likely as time goes by in the B12 North.

tbl
10/27/2008, 10:47 PM
IWill the moderators make this a stiky for the week?

Look at the Nebbish Noob! Under 10 posts and requesting a sticky! :stunned:

huskermark07
10/27/2008, 10:50 PM

Sure why not

soonerinabilene

Hes got balls the size of, well, giant balls.

huskermark07
It is the OU NU game I am not trashing your team I hope You do well

aurorasooner
10/27/2008, 11:10 PM
Don't know if it will happen, but most of the OU fans, myself included. want an aTm type beat-down on the corn for some payback to Osborne when he ran up the score against Boo Blake. Should've happened when Clownahan last visited Norman but Nebraska played it safe to not-lose-by-too-much instead of playing to win. I do agree that those con-men Clownahan and Pederson as well as some of these new Nebraska fans like that D=azz Alpohusker (as well as some of those other recruiting birdwood buzzards--translated R.Smith/Dillard/2 OL from Ada who are no-longer at UNL) have ruined any chance of getting the mutual respect back, at least from Sooner fans, and Saturday Night will be like Nebraska traveling to Boulder or to Missouri and the Sooner fans will be hostile (imo).
In any event, as far as this year's game goes, it depends on which Nebraska team shows up, the one that played TCEH or the one that played Missouri. I think Pelini will have a good defensive game-plan probably to stop the run 1st and then try to get to SB while playing man on our WRs. If Nebraska can do this, and KW is slow to make adjustments or if he continually tries to run the stretch play into a brick wall and SB is off a little (which I doubt because it's at Owen Field), then our offense may have some trouble initially. If this happens and our front 4 can't get to Ganz w/o the blitz or BV gets " Telegraphed Blitz Happy" again in the 1st quarter while our DL get pushed out of their rushing lanes & our LBs/DBs all aren't on the same page & suk at executing the blitz to the point of just yelling at Ganz "hey, we're coming" while our DBs are playing to tackle after the catch while chasing the underneath stuff thus making Ganz and Swift look like AAs, then this one could be closer than expected at halftime, and most Sooner fans will be pizzed.

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 11:50 PM
OU and nebish ain't what it used to be, play it every year, play it every other year...no biggie either way.

Husker Penguin
10/27/2008, 11:59 PM
I have no problem with having to play you hillbillies every year.

sooneron
10/28/2008, 12:01 AM
But weren't we just another Big 8 team/Big 12 team before Stoops arrived? Didn't Nebraska beat us by 60+ back then? We came back from the dead. Yeah, they made a bad decision on a head coach. But didn't we do the same? Remember Schnelly and Blake?

I would like to play this game every year. Nebraska has the tradition like we do. That doesn't go away because of Callahan. Of all the old Big 8 teams, I think Nebraska is the one we should play every year.

concur

olevetonahill
10/28/2008, 12:04 AM

Thats Fing Hillbillies to you .:P

Curly Bill
10/28/2008, 12:07 AM

Where ya been? We thought maybe you's lost in a cornfield somewhere. :D

itsok
10/28/2008, 12:38 AM
lets both win our divisions every year like in 06 and we'll play for the big
12 every year like we used to in the big 8....
so there

SoonerEmpire
10/28/2008, 06:37 AM
I'm a purist. I miss watching OU/NU every Thanksgiving ("Battle of the Big Reds," they used to call it, or the "Big Red Rivalry"). I miss Oklahoma and Nebraska commanding the nation's attention, because it was basically the ONLY game on tv during turkey day/turkey day weekend, and it was a much more sacred rivalry than OU/UTerus. It was a Thanksgiving tradition for the whole nation and not just for OU and NU fans. I miss the Big 8. I miss the winner of the Big 8 going to the Orange Bowl every year (Beach vs Desert? That's an easy pick).

I like the Big XII, but it's just not the same. The texas schools are failures, because... well, because they're texas schools. The SWC was a joke. I wish some other conference would have taken those four orphaned failures from texas instead of our conference taking them. Screw the texas schools!

JLEW1818
10/28/2008, 07:01 AM
Now we gotta watch the cows and aggies dammit

SoonerEmpire
10/28/2008, 07:28 AM
Just grabbed the following off of Huskerpedia.com. Apparently, there's going to be a pretty big event at the Bricktown Brewery on Saturday. I hadn't heard of this until just now, but it sounds fun.
========================================

Taken from: Huskerpedia (http://64.131.67.10/vbbs/showthread.php?t=60828)
Saturday in Bricktown brewery there will be the following:

AT HISTORIC BRICKTOWN DISTRICT IN OKLAHOMA CITY

HOSTED BY

THE OKLAHOMA CORNHUSKER CLUB

WITH SPECIAL GUESTS!

NU HEISMAN OU HEISMAN

JOHNNY RODGERS STEVE OWENS

MIKE ROZIER BILLY SIMS

ERIC CROUCH JASON WHITE

They will be signing Limited Edition Autographed Footballs! Priced @$100 each.

If you order a football through the OCC, the Club will receive a commission on each order. Please do

not bring other items for the Heisman Winners to sign.

We will have Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Chips, Billy Sims Bar-B-Que brisket, pulled pork

and baked beans. We will except a $5.00 donation per person for the Food. The Beer

and Soft Drinks are Free!

WHEN: Saturday Nov. 1, 2008 - Tailgate Party starts at Noon – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM

we will have All 6 of the NU & OU Heisman Winners signing the Limited

Edition Footballs – 4:00 PM we will close down the Tailgate Party – 5:00 PM

the buses will leave Bricktown and head to Norman. Kickoff at 7:00 PM.

WHERE: The OCC has rented the entire parking lot located adjacent to the Santa Fe railroad

track as you enter the Bricktown District on East Sheridan St.

oudivesherpa
10/28/2008, 07:53 AM
In the old Big 8 the best place to visit with the nicest fans were Nebraska fans in Lincoln. That being said, the Big XII is much stronger than the old Big 8, and while OU/NU was a great series, yesterday is gone, Nebraska Football is on the decline and the Big XII South is where all the great five star players want to play.

OKLA21FAN
10/28/2008, 07:59 AM
In the old Big 8 the best place to visit with the nicest fans were Nebraska fans in Lincoln. That being said, the Big XII is much stronger than the old Big 8, and while OU/NU was a great series, yesterday is gone, Nebraska Football is on the decline and the Big XII South is where all the great five star players want to play.

and today's NU fan is over-rated.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/28/2008, 08:48 AM
and today's NU fan is over-rated.

your a ****ing idiot for saying that, are you really that ****ing stupid?

OKLA21FAN
10/28/2008, 10:13 AM
your a ****ing idiot for saying that, are you really that ****ing stupid?

nope, I'm just a hillbilly :pop:

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/28/2008, 10:41 AM
nope, I'm just a hillbilly :pop:

Callahan was a ****** bag for the ages and should not be given props for anything he did, but he wasn't that far off on the remark. He made it due to the fact that the Ruff/Neks were repeatedly yelling extermely racist remarks to the Nebraska players. Classy.

OKLA21FAN
10/28/2008, 11:27 AM
Callahan was a ****** bag for the ages and should not be given props for anything he did, but he wasn't that far off on the remark. He made it due to the fact that the Ruff/Neks were repeatedly yelling extermely racist remarks to the Nebraska players. Classy.
tit for tat I guess

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/28/2008, 12:34 PM
tit for tat I guess

riiiiight

OUmillenium
10/28/2008, 12:36 PM
Every year

RiddlerOK
10/28/2008, 12:42 PM
Well it's nice to know there are still a few Husker fans out there that care about the series.

boomermagic
10/28/2008, 01:58 PM
Just a question to see how you all feel? Should the OU vs. NU be played every year or are you happy with the current setup we have in the BIG 12? I would like to play your team every year.

What are your thoughts.

I miss it being played every year.. The King{Switzer} won so many I have such great memories of those games..

KingBarry
10/28/2008, 03:28 PM
"Do I want to play Nebraska every year?"

That question is too simple. I can't really answer it.

What I want is to meet a traditional rival, in the last game of the season, with cold autumn breezes turning to sleeting frozen rain. I want both of those teams to have romped through a conference schedule, to be nationally ranked, and to have each know that they have won nothing until they win that last game.

That's what made the rivalry great. Most every year, the winner of that game would go to the Orange Bowl, and many times with a shot at the national title. What made the game special was that knowledge that no matter how many Jayhawks and Cowpokes you beat up on, it didn't matter until you'd measured yourself against Nebraska or OU to end the season.

The rest just didn't matter.

And I honestly can't see that we'd ever get back to that.

Would I favor playing Nebraska in the "off years" as a non-conf opponent? No I would not. The reasons are if they ever turn out to be good again, why handicap ourselves by playing a very good team every year in an era when non-conf games are supposed to be against cupcakes, and if they remain mediocre -- really why bother playing them?

Would I favor changing the Big XII's scheduling policies to play Nebraska regularly? I probably would, as long as this did not handicap us by, for example, making us play the Huskers each year while TX or OkSt played Iowa State. But realize that would never bring back what OU-Nebraska was in the classic Big 8 era.

I think our best shot at "renewing" what we had in the Big 8 is for OU to keep winning the South two out of three years, and Nebraska to start taking more than their fair share of the North's titles, and start meeting up fairly regularly in the CCF. But that wouldn't "bring it back," it would still be only an empty shell of what we had.

It's too damn bad, too, but this rivalry is just a ho-hum matchup nowadays. There are a thousand reasons why it came to this, too many to list here, (though bashing the RufNek was a particularly low point), but it's over now.

Dead and buried.

Let's face it, Nebraskans are far more sentimental regarding the rivalry than we are, due to the fact that they miss the "good old days" when they were still good (like us in the 90s) and because they haven't really found another rival to replace OU. I guess the Buffs just aren't cutting it for you.

tbl
10/28/2008, 03:46 PM
That's the main point. We've always had Texas, who is really our TRUE rival in every sense of the word. The game with Nebbish was greatness, but it was definitely more for them since they have no other rival. Colorado? I don't think so... Sure there's some hate there, but I don't think that is close to an actual rivalry.

It's interesting that 3 teams consider us their biggest rival...

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/28/2008, 03:54 PM
Actually Colorado is the biggest rivalry and there is plenty of hate there. Oklahoma has been Nebraska's 2nd biggest rival for the past 17 or so years. Colorado became Nebraskas number one rivalry in the 90's when Oklahoma was busy ****ting the bed year in and year out. Hopefully Nebraska can rebound and this rivalry can be great again for the first time in a long time (early 2000's excluded)

UberSooner
10/28/2008, 03:57 PM
The solution: Nebraska gets back to dominating the north, we continue dominatiing the south. Presto! Rivalry is back to every year in a bowl game atmosphere. Short of that, nah, not so much.

The Maudfather
10/28/2008, 04:29 PM
Hey guys...looks like I chimed in a lil late. I am a husker fan, and I have lived in Oklahoma the past 5 years of my life. I have to say, I have a lot of respect for Oklahoma and their fans are probably the most knowledgable that i have talked to (outside of husker fans, of course ;)) I would like to say, in NOOOO way does what Clown-a-han's words reflect that of the big red faithful. I would love to see this rivalry restored, and played every year. However, I think Pelini needs to get a few recruiting classes in for it to be competitive. I will be traveling to Norman this week to watch the game and was wondering if anyone on this board is hosting some sort of tailgate? Also, this will be my first trip to Norman and was wondering what i should expect?
Thanks.
GBR!
-MF'er

Ice Cold Peanuts
10/28/2008, 04:34 PM
I'm a Husker fan. It looks like a majority of Husker fans would like to see the teams play every year but a minority of Sooner fans care anymore. Maybe it's time to move on for Nebraska. It was a blast even though we took it in the shorts more often then not. Back in the Big 8 you had to play us for all the marbles. Now, with the Big 12, I don't think we had a chance to remain THE opponent. Texas gets that honor. Guess it doesn't matter as long as we kick the s*&$ out of Colorado. Here's to an injury free game this weekend.

85sooners
10/28/2008, 08:13 PM
:gary:

St. Louis Sooner
10/29/2008, 10:42 AM
i could care less if this series is re-instated or not; the way the series ended just before the big12 got going + callahan's bs just neg'd the whole thing for me; i also think the firing of solich was premature and it showed the nature of the husker fan base;

if i had to choose, i'd rather our rivalry be UT since there's a lot of folks from texas that live in oklahoma and vice-versa ... it just seems more natural;