PDA

View Full Version : Is there any possible scenario we can play Georgia?

tbl
10/27/2008, 12:51 PM
I know Georgia has a shot at going to the Nat'l Championship (provided TX or PSU lose), but aside from that, is there any way we can play them? I'm not familiar enough with the bowls and who gets whom.

BudSooner
10/27/2008, 12:56 PM
Well, we could play them in teh Cotton Bowl....and if'n i'm not mistaken...Sugar Bowl?

Edit: add the Rose Bowl,Orange Bowl, Fiest Bowl...blech!

I just checked, espn has us playing in the Cotton Bowl against Leslie.

SeattleOUstudent
10/27/2008, 12:56 PM
Wow. Seriously?

To answer your question, OU and GA have not been mathmatically eliminated from playing each other.

Lots of games left, dude.

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2008, 01:49 PM
If espn predicts us to be cotton bound, then they assume we will lose again. Given our remaining schedule, I don't blame them, but if we do win out we will get a BCS bid.

badger
10/27/2008, 02:11 PM
We go back in time, lose our lawsuit with the NCAA and get kicked out of the NCAA, thus as the only two major programs outside the NCAA, we do nothing but play each other each and every week for the next million years.

Fraggle145
10/27/2008, 02:16 PM
Interestingly, the two teams have never played...

soonerinabilene
10/27/2008, 03:33 PM
if we are ranked 1 and 2 in the final bcs rankings, then I would bet one hundred trillion dollars that we play each other. YWIA. ;)

TheUnnamedSooner
10/27/2008, 03:34 PM
I think the only two non-bcs bowls that match up big 12 and sec is Independence and Cotton. Can't think of any other...

sooner59
10/27/2008, 06:34 PM
1. We win out
2. Georgia wins out (that would take care of Florida, as well as Bama in the SEC CG)
3. Texas loses
4. Penn State loses

The only thing would be how far texas would drop if they lose. We would need for them to drop below us. Otherwise, we would need the 3 way tie in the south to get to the Big 12 CG, then if we won we would likely hop them.

tbl
10/27/2008, 10:42 PM
Interestingly, the two teams have never played...
That's why I'm pulling for it. I've sort of adopted them as the other program I could possibly root for (though I'm not close to being a fan; I just have good friends that are rabid dog fans).

Hopefully the 1-2 scenario is what would happen. I dread the thought of playing them in the Cotton or Independence, considering what that would mean.

JLEW1818
10/27/2008, 10:46 PM
I know Georgia has a shot at going to the Nat'l Championship (provided TX or PSU lose), but aside from that, is there any way we can play them? I'm not familiar enough with the bowls and who gets whom.

Alabama destroyed Georgia the last time they played them. Could happen again.

ummm remember people ALABAMA is still undefeated.

tbl
10/27/2008, 10:49 PM
So is TX... If they both remain so, roll tide all the way. I'm going to have to root for Bama in the SEC Championship game b/c I KNOW they'd give TX a better game than PSU.

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 10:51 PM
Texas would kill PSU...

...Bama on the other hand? maybe not so much.

hink4769
10/27/2008, 10:56 PM
If we win out and the NC game ends up being Texas-PSU (which I think it will be), I think we would stand a decent chance of a Rose Bowl invitation to play USC, which would be a good game. I know they like Big 10-Pac 10, but I doubt they would like the idea of USC-OSU, when they just played a couple months ago in LA. Also, the Fiesta would have some flexibility and they wouldn't necessarily have to chose us, and they probably figure OU fans are tired of Phoenix.

JLEW1818
10/27/2008, 11:00 PM
I think playing in the Rose Bowl would be the worst bowl for us to play in. Basically a home game for USC

hink4769
10/27/2008, 11:14 PM
I think playing in the Rose Bowl would be the worst bowl for us to play in. Basically a home game for USC

Worse than playing some team from a crummy conference, (I include Big East in crummy-conference) playing the biggest game in their program's history with nothing to lose?

sooner59
10/27/2008, 11:29 PM
Exactly. If we don't go to the MNC, I am all in for the Rose Bowl. If we went to the Fiesta....a nation collectively yawns and expects us to lose to Team X.....from my last two trips to Glendale, we probably do lose. If we go to the Orange Bowl, we likely play the a Big East/ACC team.....just shoot me if this happens. I am not interested. If we played an SEC team in the Sugar bowl, ill try to be there. If we play anyone (especially SUC) in the Rose Bowl, im there with bells on. That said, I want the MNC. Its unlikely but a guy can hope. College students only have so much money, and if im taking out a loan to go to a bowl game its most likely the Rose Bowl, MNC or nothing.

JLEW1818
10/27/2008, 11:33 PM
Worse than playing some team from a crummy conference, (I include Big East in crummy-conference) playing the biggest game in their program's history with nothing to lose?

Yes I honestly do think it would be worse. And I think other soonerfans would agree deep down in them.

SeattleOUstudent
11/2/2008, 07:31 PM
Starting to think this isnt going to happen ;)

sooner59
11/2/2008, 08:42 PM
I think you are right.

Iam4OUru
11/2/2008, 08:48 PM
As it turned out, playin' UGA will be a bad thing.