PDA

View Full Version : Some quotes from Stoops and Venables

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/27/2008, 09:35 AM
OU also gave up another big kickoff return that put another team back in the game emotionally. Three bad snaps contributed to an iffy punt game, and the offense only scored three points in the second half.

Although concerned about some of it, Stoops wasn’t going to stomp his foot and complain.

"You come to another Big 12 venue and win," he said. "I don’t know if winning by 23 points is good or not, but I’ll take it every day. When you’re up three possessions by the end of the game, you feel pretty good about it."

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables was nauseous. He scorned the litany of big first-half plays the defense gave up and the Wildcats’ inflated offensive numbers.

"It’s disgusting football," he said. "You hate it. It’s not what we’re about. It’s not acceptable. It definitely isn’t the culture that we allow.

"Our guys just played better [in the second half, when K-State scored once]. It’s amazing how well you play when you’re not giving up big plays."

Franks and others pointed out how, in the second half, they locked on in coverage and didn’t chase K-State quarterback Josh Freeman, who threw for a career-high 478 yards and tied a career high with three touchdown passes but also threw three interceptions. Linebacker Travis Lewis had two of them.

"In the second half we corrected our mistakes and pulled away," he said. "But as a defense, we’re not satisfied."

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/997975.html

This is the second straight week we've given up a huge first half and then "locked down" the second half. If we are making half time adjustments that take care of it, why are we not doing it during the second quarter? It's good to see Venables mad about the play but when can we start having our coaching staff get the team jacked up during practice and let it follow into the game. This is ONLY speaking on the D, the O comes out strong early in every game. I think a big problem for the team is bad practices, this is just speculation obviously but it seems we lack intensity that you cultivate in practice.

PhiDeltBeers
10/27/2008, 10:15 AM
It's like our offense shows up in the 1 half and sleeps in the 2nd. Visa versa for defense.

soonershane22
10/27/2008, 10:36 AM
Usually in the second half though we go into the "play not to lose" offense that is completely ineffective and we just punt a lot. Many, many runs up the middle.

badger
10/27/2008, 11:16 AM
What I expected when I saw the thread title:

Stoops: We are systematically ruining your team through miserable defensive coaching.

Venables: Yes we are, durr durr.

Stoops: Now please turn a blind eye and support your Sooners no matter what you see on the field.

Venables: Like letting the other team score! ....durr durr.

Stoops: And yes, Brent would not be coaching here if we weren't friends.

Venables: Bobby is my buddy.

Stoops: ...

Venables: Durr durr!

Happy Monday morning, SoonerFans.com! :D