PDA

View Full Version : 4 MLBs in the 8 quarters of football

Blitzkrieg
10/27/2008, 08:51 AM
Once Balogun was in in the first half, he was the 4th mike in 7 quarters of football, and we wonder why we are are messing up?

Venables had Lofton and Reynolds ready to excel this year. Both are now gone for different reasons, but you fools calling for Venables head need to redirect your engery to something more productive, like death threats against Lofton or the Longhorn that accidentally hurt Reynolds.

We have three weeks to prep for Tech. We will be better.

OUmillenium
10/27/2008, 12:06 PM
I am taking your advice and redirecting my engery toward improving my spailing.

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 06:55 PM
We don't have anyone ready to play MLB?

I got it, lets fire the LBer coach. :D

oumartin
10/27/2008, 07:02 PM
if you folks can't see that regardless of the number of all americans we might have on defense or future all americans lets get one thing straight.

Every freakin' team that has any clue knows how and where to take advantage of this zone defense.
Texas did not beat OU with anything deep. they beat them with 5 to 10 yard timing routes and sitting in the voids in the freakin' zone.

you let a team drive the field this way and one bust turns into a touchdown.

You cannot sit back and give a receiver 8 yards off the LOS. You just can't do it.

Venables may not be a bad coach but the scheme needs tweaked or completely overhauled.

bluedogok
10/27/2008, 09:08 PM
I am taking your advice and redirecting my engery toward improving my spailing.
That's SPALLING and it is usually because your mix is too wet.......:D

RedstickSooner
10/27/2008, 09:17 PM
So, we're the only top tier program with a position weakness?

Again, in college, you should EXPECT to usually have at least one spot on the field where you're weak. Your job is to figure out a scheme to cope with that weakness. BV seems intent on just plugging new players in until one shows he can play, rather than figuring out some way of having the defense work around the problem.

Mike seemed to do the same thing -- he'd try to hammer players into positions, and I seem to remember folks criticized him for that. However, he also was a lot more likely to come up with aggressive defensive schemes that frequently masked problems we had on the field.

Harry Beanbag
10/27/2008, 10:36 PM
Going into the season expecting a guy that had already suffered two previous season ending knee injuries to be the difference between a good defense and an absolutely God awful ****ty mess doesn't seem like very sound planning to me.

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 10:39 PM
Going into the season expecting a guy that had already suffered two previous season ending knee injuries to be the difference between a good defense and an absolutely God awful ****ty mess doesn't seem like very sound planning to me.

Makes sense when you put it like that! You'd think a highly compensated D-1 defensive coordinator would have had the same idea.

edit...the very same DC who also happens to coach the very position in question. :mad:

MissouriSooner
10/27/2008, 10:43 PM

Roger that. We used to recruit good LBs out of Juco, but lately, all we've gotten are busts from the Juco ranks. Balogun was supposed to be the next coming of the great LB [and remember Mike Reed?]. Far as I can recall, Balogun hasn't made a tackle yet since he's been here. We need to get more and better LBs, either out of HS or Juco.

Octavian
10/27/2008, 11:30 PM
Venables has been in charge of the LB corps since the inception of the Stoops regime. He's presided over the development of 4 First Team All-Americans, 2 Butkus winners, an Orange Bowl MVP, and 6 NFL linebackers.

We were ranked #1 (again) and were well on our way to rolling out another very good D (and beating Texas) until our current MLB blew out his knee. Some of the criticism is justified but it's time to cut him some slack -- BV is playing the hand he's been dealt. Is he faultless? No. Is he the best DC in the game? No. Has he shown to be a proven winner over time? Yes. Is it time for a change? Get real.

OU is the 2-time defending Big XII champs. We've won 5 conference titles and a national championship. We've lost twice at home in a decade.

Yes, BV's D needs to show improvement if we're gonna win out....but we're currently ranked in the Top 5 and just beat a conference opponent on the road by 23 points.

Woe to the next poor SOB who takes over the reigns of this program. That guy will share the Gibbs/Solich fate before the ink is dry on the contract...the sun won't set on his first September before you'll be able to swear the Stoops regime never made a mistake. He better be ready too because we're gonna unapologetically ride his *** outta town on a rail.

aurorasooner
10/27/2008, 11:36 PM
Venables has been in charge of the LB corps since the inception of the Stoops regime. He's presided over the development of 4 First Team All-Americans, 2 Butkus winners, an Orange Bowl MVP, and 6 NFL linebackers. Not bad........etc....etc....etc Agreed. but we need some new blood probably at DBs coach who can bring in some fresh ideas to the defense, as Norvell has to the offense, imo.

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 11:39 PM
Agreed. but we need some new blood probably at DBs coach who can bring in some fresh ideas to the defense, as Norvell has to the offense, imo.

Surely that's something we can all agree on, even those that approve of BV, BJW has to go! :D

Blitzkrieg
10/28/2008, 07:45 AM
Venables has been in charge of the LB corps since the inception of the Stoops regime. He's presided over the development of 4 First Team All-Americans, 2 Butkus winners, an Orange Bowl MVP, and 6 NFL linebackers.

We were ranked #1 (again) and were well on our way to rolling out another very good D (and beating Texas) until our current MLB blew out his knee. Some of the criticism is justified but it's time to cut him some slack -- BV is playing the hand he's been dealt. Is he faultless? No. Is he the best DC in the game? No. Has he shown to be a proven winner over time? Yes. Is it time for a change? Get real.

OU is the 2-time defending Big XII champs. We've won 5 conference titles and a national championship. We've lost twice at home in a decade.

Yes, BV's D needs to show improvement if we're gonna win out....but we're currently ranked in the Top 5 and just beat a conference opponent on the road by 23 points.

Woe to the next poor SOB who takes over the reigns of this program. That guy will share the Gibbs/Solich fate before the ink is dry on the contract...the sun won't set on his first September before you'll be able to swear the Stoops regime never made a mistake. He better be ready too because we're gonna unapologetically ride his *** outta town on a rail.

WORD.

Ask Nebraksa fans if Solich was that bad. Ask aTm fans if Slocum really was terrible right now. Was Barney so bad at CU? I guess fans have the luxury of being able to talk outta they arse.

birddog
10/28/2008, 08:40 AM
if you folks can't see that regardless of the number of all americans we might have on defense or future all americans lets get one thing straight.

Every freakin' team that has any clue knows how and where to take advantage of this zone defense.
Texas did not beat OU with anything deep. they beat them with 5 to 10 yard timing routes and sitting in the voids in the freakin' zone.

you let a team drive the field this way and one bust turns into a touchdown.

You cannot sit back and give a receiver 8 yards off the LOS. You just can't do it.

Venables may not be a bad coach but the scheme needs tweaked or completely overhauled.

you just described the exact same way texass beat osu.

NormanPride
10/28/2008, 09:43 AM
Surely that's something we can all agree on, even those that approve of BV, BJW has to go! :D

What? This is the best our corners and safeties have played since Derrick Strait.

NormanPride
10/28/2008, 09:44 AM
you just described the exact same way texass beat everyone on their schedule so far.

Fixed.