PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. VJ and I Are Going To See "W" Tonight

VeeJay
10/26/2008, 04:59 PM
Anyone else seen it? What can one expect?

It was between "W", "An American Carol" and some chick flick. I let her decide.

soonerscuba
10/26/2008, 05:44 PM
I saw it. Brolin and whoever plays Condi Rice did a really good acting job. However, it's a Stone flick so he took some liberties as to dream sequences. I'd give it a C.

Big Red Ron
10/26/2008, 05:50 PM
Anyone else seen it? What can one expect?

It was between "W", "An American Carol" and some chick flick. I let her decide.
Well, if you like fiction, bad acting and worse writing; you'll love it.

soonerscuba
10/26/2008, 05:52 PM
Well, if you like fiction, bad acting and worse writing; you'll love it.So you saw it?

Sooner_Havok
10/26/2008, 05:59 PM
I think Oliver Stone sucks donkey balls, so I'm out.

Big Red Ron
10/26/2008, 06:11 PM
So you saw it?Went on opening night. I thought it might be good for a laugh. I was wrong.

My disdain for Obama has nothing to do with my movie watching.

Sooner_Havok
10/26/2008, 06:13 PM
Went on opening night. I thought it might be good for a laugh. I was wrong.

My disdain for Obama has nothing to do with my movie watching.

Say it with me.

Oliver Stone sucks donkey balls.

:D :D

Big Red Ron
10/26/2008, 06:15 PM
Say it with me.

Oliver Stone sucks donkey balls.

:D :DOh, c'mon. You know Nixon had Kennedy killed.:D

Sooner_Havok
10/26/2008, 06:17 PM
Oh, c'mon. You know Nixon had Kennedy killed.:D

I knew Checkers was the second gunman!

olevetonahill
10/26/2008, 06:18 PM
Oh, c'mon. You know Nixon had Kennedy killed.:D

HEH
MY Dad was a yeller dog Dem.
He swore up and Down Nixon was in on it .

Jimminy Crimson
10/26/2008, 06:23 PM
Brolin did a good job as W. Laura and Barbara were good casting jobs, as well.

Condi/Colin/Rove/41 were absolutely horrible to watch.

Sooner_Havok
10/26/2008, 06:23 PM
HEH
MY Dad was a yeller dog Dem.
He swore up and Down Nixon was in on it .

Since I never gave a flying **** about the JFK assassination, I didn't know until a few years ago that Nixon was really in Dallas that day.

But, that's public education for ya. Every history teacher I had in high school was also a football coach.

soonerscuba
10/26/2008, 06:32 PM
Brolin did a good job as W. Laura and Barbara were good casting jobs, as well.

Condi/Colin/Rove/41 were absolutely horrible to watch.
I disagree about Condi, but the rest were pretty bad, I think that is probably a result of having a biopic of a sitting president, their mannerisms are too fresh. Rob Corddry was denied any possibility to do anything worthwhile, that sucked.

royalfan5
10/26/2008, 06:42 PM
I would only see W if I found out there was an Anton Chigur cameo.

Sooner_Havok
10/26/2008, 06:42 PM
I would only see W if I found out there was an Anton Chigur cameo.

I might 1$ movie it

def_lazer_fc
10/26/2008, 09:29 PM
i thought brolin killed it. seemed like an odd casting choice when i first heard about it, but he did pretty well. even looked eerily like W in a few scenes. some of the others did stray too much into being characatures instead of just playing the character. im looking at you, guy who played rove. burnstyn was good as barbara, but she's always been a very good actress.

mynameisjoe
10/26/2008, 11:50 PM
I agree with everyone saying that Brolin did a good job. Though I thought Condi was absolutely HORRIBLE. I couldn't stop from laughing every time she opened her mouth. It seemed like Thandie Newton was trying too hard to impersonate her. As an Oliver Stone flick, I came in expecting the worst. But I was surprised that he seemed kinda sympathetic to him in the movie. Overall, not too bad.

VeeJay
10/27/2008, 09:12 PM
The most interesting thing I came away with was the riff between Bush 41 and 43. 43's dream scene where he wakes up after Poppy admonishes him was surreal, and makes one wonder if something like that has in fact occurred after Thanksgiving dinner in Kennebunkport (notice the lack of speedboat photos for several years now).

The movie itself was not a Michael Moore hatchet job - although the Shrub snafus were all documented:

- Mission Accomplished immediately followed up by explosions in Iraq
- Bush 43 choking on a pretzel
- "Fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice- we won't get fooled again"

Also, Bush's faith was highlighted throughout the movie, including his camaraderie with one cornpone preacher, but it wasn't displayed exclusively as a negative tool for his political career.

Viking Kitten
10/27/2008, 09:20 PM
I thought the movie really humanized him. The trailers made me think it was going to be a big mock-the-president fest, which quite honestly I think is disrespectful to do while the guy is still in office. So I was pleasantly surprised, and thought Josh Brolin did a terrific job. Richard Dreyfus as Cheney was awesome too.

Thandi Newton overdid Condi, and I don't think James Cromwell captured 41 at all.