PDA

View Full Version : Fun Facts about Nebraska....

royalfan5
10/26/2008, 03:06 PM
Since it is NU/OU week, I thought I would post a thread to fill y'all in on some of the more interesting obscure factoids about Nebraska.

Famous Fictional Nebraskans include Rebecca Donaldson-Kastopolis and Brock Sampson.

Notable Real Nebraska Natives include L. Ron Hubbard of Scientology renown, and Malcom X.

Six Man football was invented in Nebraska(and I warmed up for game on the field on which it was invented) Multiple sources also indicate that the Ruben Sandwich was invented in Omaha.

Boys Town is one of the more notable landmarks, and I can see it from my deck.

Wild Bill Hicock supposedly killed his first man at Rock Creek Station, where my cousin runs the State Park at the site.

The Oregon Trail runs through the state, which means many Nebraskans have had the opportunity to play Oregon Trail on the Computer near or on the Oregon Trail. Myself included.

Notable Nebraska Authors include Willa Cather, Bess Streeter Aldrich, Mari Sandoz, and John G. Neidhardt.

Notable Nebraskans in film include Marlon Brando, Fred Astaire, Nick Nolte, The guy who played the Fugitive in the TV series, and the start of the new Knight Ridder series among others.

Nebraska is home to the Czech Capital of the United States,Wilber, and the world's largest Kolache in Prague.

Arbor Day? Invented in Nebraska.

William Jennings Bryan has a lot of stuff named after him after a political career of some note, and being part of the Scopes Monkey trial.

I'll come up with some more later.

Okla-homey
10/26/2008, 03:25 PM
I heard the big "N" on the helmet stands for Nowledge.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/26/2008, 03:37 PM
That and corN.

Rogue
10/26/2008, 03:43 PM
Unicameral legislature.
Warren Buffett.
Bugeaters.
Runzas.

Corn, dude. Miles and miles of corn.
And some wheat. And by "some" I mean miles and miles of wheat.

Folk of Scandinavian descent.

That funny old painting of the old folks with the pitchfork.
I always think of Nebraska.

Rogue
10/26/2008, 03:45 PM
Sooner or later someone will point out that none of these facts are "fun."

royalfan5
10/26/2008, 03:46 PM
Also, all of the major Center Pivot Manufacturers are HQ'ed in Nebraska, and a significant chunk of the Nation's Combine manufacturing is located as here as well.

We also have the smallest operating Nuclear Power Plant at Fort Calhoun.

royalfan5
10/26/2008, 03:47 PM
Unicameral legislature.
Warren Buffett.
Bugeaters.
Runzas.

Corn, dude. Miles and miles of corn.
And some wheat. And by "some" I mean miles and miles of wheat.

Folk of Scandinavian descent.

That funny old painting of the old folks with the pitchfork.
I always think of Nebraska.
There are far more Germans than Scandanvians, you forgot soybeans, and the painting you are thinking was about Iowans.

royalfan5
10/26/2008, 04:53 PM
There is more environmental diversity from the Western Border to the Eastern Border of Nebraska than there is from the Western Border of Iowa to the Atlantic Ocean.

Notable Nebraska music acts include Matthew Sweet, 311, Conor Oberst, Tillie and the Wall, the rest of the Saddle Creek roster, The Show is the Rainbow, UUVVWWZ, and some others.

Nebraska is the only state with a weekly newsmagazine dedicated to High School Football.

While shooting Terms of Endearment in Lincoln, Debra Winger dated Gov. Bob Kerry.

Big Red Ron
10/26/2008, 05:02 PM
They stole their other nickname from an in conference rival. Not fun but true. OU was the Big Red when they were still Bugeaters.