PDA

View Full Version : Middle Linebacker

starclassic tama
10/26/2008, 02:14 PM
now does everyone see why austin box hasn't played up until this point? all those idiots calling the sports animal whining about brandon crow playing against texas over box. we have no mike to speak of. good thing we have sammy b, we are now texas tech with better athletes.

85sooners
10/26/2008, 02:19 PM
:eek:

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/26/2008, 02:23 PM
Ummm I was very impressed with Austin Box...he seemed to be in the right places...just a second late a lot of times. Not bad for a kid playing his first real game against a Top 10 Passing Rating QB who will be in the NFL

CtheB
10/26/2008, 02:27 PM
For his first action at MLB, I thought he played well. Give him some time. Time that he should have had before the eighth game of the season.

MyT Oklahoma
10/26/2008, 02:29 PM
He got beat on 2 touchdown passes yesterday but he has to learn somewhere. I say give Austin time and he'll do fine.

okiewaker
10/26/2008, 02:33 PM
Easy! Yes, we have no "mike to speak of" for atleast the last 4 years, but "box" played the best he could and did a pretty good job. Remember it takes 11 not 1.

badger
10/26/2008, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to judge a player, even in the middle of a season, especially one of our own guys. I also wouldn't be so quick to badmouth one of our own guys, because he's one of our own guys.

Also, we won the game - not by a slim margin - and on the road.

Sooner Stew
10/26/2008, 03:03 PM
Easy! Yes, we have no "mike to speak of" for atleast the last 4 years, but "box" played the best he could and did a pretty good job. Remember it takes 11 not 1.

did you maybe forget that we had curtis lofton last year? hes a starter in the NFL how in the hell is he not a "mike to speak of"?

Box played in his first "real" game...he looks good to me...by the end of the year i expect him to be where lewis and clayton are after the first 8 games...they both played great yesterday IMO

Dan Thompson
10/26/2008, 03:08 PM
Would changing our defense to something like a 3-3-5 or 3-4-4 or a 4-2-5 make any difference?

Sooner Stew
10/26/2008, 03:16 PM
they were playing a 4-2-5 against Kansas....at least thats what I saw but im a noob...We had Nic move up some to join lewis and clayton and Carter was at FS so to me that pretty much is a 4-2-5

swardboy
10/26/2008, 03:18 PM
I still don't know how that one td pass got through Box's hands. Definitely he was in the right spot there.

okiewaker
10/26/2008, 03:22 PM
did you maybe forget that we had curtis lofton last year? hes a starter in the NFL how in the hell is he not a "mike to speak of"?

Box played in his first "real" game...he looks good to me...by the end of the year i expect him to be where lewis and clayton are after the first 8 games...they both played great yesterday IMO

Yes, Lofton was great, but I was talking about Calmus and Lehman. Although, Lehman played more on the outside.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/26/2008, 03:26 PM
So let me get this straight...we haven't had a Mike in 4 years BUT Alexander and Lofton were VERY good?

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/26/2008, 03:29 PM
I would be very interested in seeing this team run a 4-2-5, I think safeties are one of the strengths of this team. The only problem is that against 90% of the Big XII you almost have to be in a dime formation over 50% of the time. We need to start recruiting at least 10 db's every year. I mean seriously to be viable in this conference is to have 2 great corners and at LEAST 4 very solid corners.

Big Red Ron
10/26/2008, 03:36 PM
Count me as one that isn't impressed with Box. Let's hope he gets A LOT better or something.

aurorasooner
10/26/2008, 03:37 PM
Lotsa mistakes by everyone including vets, not just AB, in the 1st quarter alone. One things for sure since RR got hurt, not just the noobs, but all our defenders are not on the same page with not only the defensive sets but also the basics such as tackling, wrapping-up, correct angles, making plays on the ball/receiver etc. I'm surprised at how unprepared our BUs are & how the vets are stepping down to the level of the Noobs. BV may have to take our defensive players names off the back of their jerseys until they start playing as a unit. The good news is we were playing KSU yesterday and not TCEH or the aggies. Either of those teams would have easily hung half-a-hundred or more on us yesterday.
After watching 'Zona's blitzes last night, ours don't seem to be near as well-coached as theirs, but their guys may have more F-Ball smarts than our guys or they may not have any defensive injuries . One of many screw-ups from the 1st quarter that stands out. LH on the safety blitz.....Clayton has to wave a round-house type wave to Lindy sort of a circular safety blitz around the right side.... WTFreck dead give-a-way....it was like LH lets get it in gear, do you know what you're supposed to be doing on this play. KSU scores on that drive with a nice catch in the corner of the EZ....

Big Red Ron
10/26/2008, 03:38 PM
I still don't know how that one td pass got through Box's hands. Definitely he was in the right spot there.
He wasn't in the right spot. Close but this ain't horse shoes.

batonrougesooner
10/26/2008, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to judge a player, even in the middle of a season, especially one of our own guys. I also wouldn't be so quick to badmouth one of our own guys, because he's one of our own guys.

Also, we won the game - not by a slim margin - and on the road.

You referring to Box or Crow?

KingDavid
For his first action at MLB, I thought he played well. Give him some time. Time that he should have had before the eighth game of the season.

Luckily we have a relatively easy game coming up against Nebraska and a bye week where he can get some reps and get ready for Tech and OSU.

Man, that was a wierd sentence to write.

Fraggle145
Count me as one that isn't impressed with Box. Let's hope he gets A LOT better or something.

Me too. To me he made about as many mistakes as Brandon Crow did in the Texas game. :eek:

8timechamps
10/26/2008, 03:43 PM
I too thought Box played good. The kid is young, playing one of the toughest positions on defense. He held his ground. Made a few mistakes, but probably learned a ton.

He'll be fine.

Big Red Ron
10/26/2008, 03:45 PM
Me too. To me he made about as many mistakes as Brandon Crow did in the Texas game. :eek:
Yeah, they picked on him and so will everyone else. I'm actually a little worried about the okie state game. Maybe we should put #5 back at Mike for that game.

Big Red Ron
10/26/2008, 03:47 PM
I too thought Box played good. The kid is young, playing one of the toughest positions on defense. He held his ground. Made a few mistakes, but probably learned a ton.

He'll be fine.
I hope your right but he just isn't going to be good enough to play well against Tch and okie state. No way we can afford to have a young guy learning in those games. We'll need #5 make there to play those teams or they'll pick on Box all day long.

Sooner Stew
10/26/2008, 03:49 PM
That was his first game to play in when it was all on the line and I thought he looked pretty good....By next year he should be really good....I remember everyone saying he wouldve started off the season on the top of the depth chart so how is he not the best guy we have now? Crow just doesnt look quite as quick and athletic as Box IMO...Box is big too

8timechamps
10/26/2008, 04:02 PM
I hope your right but he just isn't going to be good enough to play well against Tch and okie state. No way we can afford to have a young guy learning in those games. We'll need #5 make there to play those teams or they'll pick on Box all day long.

There's no doubt that he's got a lot to learn before the Tech and OSU games. I'm just glad there is some games in between.

Curly Bill
10/26/2008, 04:11 PM

I'll climb on that wagon.

TXBOOMER
10/26/2008, 04:17 PM
Box did not play good, probably had more to do with inexperience than ability. He looked like he has the potential to be solid. The learning curve has to be quick though. Texas Tech is scary good on offense and their defense even looks much more athletic than in the past. The more reps he gets in practice the quicker he should improve. The D has a lot more holes than MLB that need quick improvement.

Lott's Bandana
10/26/2008, 04:19 PM
I thought Box did well. He plugged the middle to the extent that they didn't have a black hole to concentrate on like PonyBoy did in 2halfRRS. He clogged many of the lanes and causes some redirections. He will get better, especially after he learns how to shake the OL handgrab and run...that technique slowed him down quite a bit.

CK Sooner
10/26/2008, 04:21 PM
You guy' have to give Box a break.

Remember it was his FIRST start as a college linebacker.

Curly Bill
10/26/2008, 04:23 PM

I think he'll get better and be OK, he just wasn't very good yesterday.

MichiganSooner
10/26/2008, 04:36 PM
I think he will be OK. Like someone said, he has this week to prepare for and play against Nebraska. At Enid High School, he played outside linebacker or was it safety. This was maybe his first game anywhere playing middle LB, if that means anything.

Big Red Ron
10/26/2008, 04:58 PM
osu and a tt will abuse him. I don't think we can afford to have him play much in those games. Maybe he'll get better but I pray for Reynold's to get better and make it through next season.

Fraggle145
10/26/2008, 06:43 PM

I'm not saying that he cant do better... I'm just saying he looked about the same as Crow to me. And not like he's my favorite player or anything, but Crow didnt get much of a break. just sayin'

Iam4OUru
10/26/2008, 06:58 PM

Me, too. Leach and Gundy will beat us to death up the middle.

starclassic tama
10/26/2008, 11:34 PM
i really wonder how some of you watch all these games and come up with some of these conclusions. box was horrendous in pass coverage, got swallowed up in the running lanes and generally had a really hard time getting off blocks. and badger, it isn't "badmouthing" one of our own guys when you are talking about their play on the field. it's objective. i know box is young and that was his first start, and he looks like an excellent athlete, and hopefully he gets a lot better. but it just goes to show that maybe the coaches know a little bit more than all these fans who were whining because crow got in the texas game instead of box. i hope we sign a few big time linebackers.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2008, 11:53 PM
If the coaches thought Crow was better than Box, Crow would still be in there. You have to judge players in the context of expectations. So how did Box perform in his first start as a RS freshman (changing position from OLB to MLB as well, I think) ? Only the coaches can answer that question, but just because he wasn't effective all the time doesn't mean he played poorly relative to expectations.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/27/2008, 12:13 AM
i really wonder how some of you watch all these games and come up with some of these conclusions. box was horrendous in pass coverage, got swallowed up in the running lanes and generally had a really hard time getting off blocks. and badger, it isn't "badmouthing" one of our own guys when you are talking about their play on the field. it's objective. i know box is young and that was his first start, and he looks like an excellent athlete, and hopefully he gets a lot better. but it just goes to show that maybe the coaches know a little bit more than all these fans who were whining because crow got in the texas game instead of box. i hope we sign a few big time linebackers.

i agree with your assessment of box in the 1st half. however, in the second he made a couple of very "big time" linebacker plays. there was one where he filled the hole, and then fought off his block and got the running back in the cutback lane that lewis forgot to fill.

VA Sooner
10/27/2008, 12:21 AM
Young linebacker... give him a little time.

He's got one game to get more experience... Nebraska next Saturday and Texas A&M.

Then it's show time against Texas Tech and OSU. That gives Box about 3 weeks, 2 games to prepare and get used to the speed of college ball. Adjusting from safety to middle linebacker when you're in the thick of things will be one of the biggest challenges. Getting the techniques down of how to shuck off blocks and getting to the ball carrier takes practice... something hard to do in practice.

GottaHavePride
10/27/2008, 12:22 AM
Maybe we should put #5 back at Mike for that game.

I think playing musical D positions with our guys would be the worst possible thing to do right now. They need to know where to play and what their assignment is. We keep swapping Nic Harris back and forth and he's going to forget which week it is and who he's supposed to be watching.

misplacedsooner
10/27/2008, 12:41 AM
he will get better, hopefully he was picked because he will have the shortest learning curve and the coaches feel he can be ready in a couple of weeks when crunch time begins. fyi, although slated to start ab didnt start, balogun started at mike. ab tweeked a shoulder in pregame.

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2008, 12:42 AM
I think playing musical D positions with our guys would be the worst possible thing to do right now. They need to know where to play and what their assignment is. We keep swapping Nic Harris back and forth and he's going to forget which week it is and who he's supposed to be watching.

It would be good to have some packages to take advantage of Nic's versatility. But I agree with you that we need to settle in on who the LBs are going to be. I didn't think Nic played a real strong game against KU and I wasn't surprised to see Box against KSU. We did seem to blitz more than usual against KSU and I expect that to continue. Blitzing is one way to limit the other teams ability to pick on 1 position because the defense is forcing the play. KSU did a pretty good job of burning us on the blitz though. With practice, we should get better at coverage behind the blitz and I expect us to continue against NU and aTm where we should be able to overcome mistakes.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2008, 07:16 AM
now does everyone see why austin box hasn't played up until this point? all those idiots calling the sports animal whining about brandon crow playing against texas over box. we have no mike to speak of. good thing we have sammy b, we are now texas tech with better athletes.

STFU NOOB!

Not sure if you understand the game of foosball or not...

But it is the Coaches duty to mold a player for each position that will be on the field.

I thought Box did a decent job for his first ever start in his second season with OU.

And we are not Texas Tech with better athletes...We are a very young and inexperienced defense outside the DLine.

Who do I blame? Not the players!

BornandBred
10/27/2008, 08:24 AM
fyi, although slated to start ab didnt start, balogun started at mike. ab tweeked a shoulder in pregame.

It looked to me like he tweaked his elbow on the opening kickoff. I was thrilled to see him healthy enough to come back in.

So, he's had 1 week of running with the first team in practice and 1 live game of experience, I think he did fine. Yes, he made some big mistakes. And yes, he did get burned on some over the middle routes. But, from what I saw, they weren't mistakes made because he was horribly out of position or because he couldn't make the play. They were because he wasn't used to the speed of the game. I think that will come shortly. He did improve towards the second half, it looked like to me.

The issue I had was on the blitzing scheme. We got eaten up on nearly every blitz. I think that falls on the coaches. Our blitzes seemed too predictable and poorly timed. Out of the 3 times I'm thinking of, if we'd have faked the blitz and dropped into coverage, we'd have had at least 2 picks. We never seem to show blitz from one side then bring the delayed blitz from the other. I wish we would.

OUfan4life
10/27/2008, 08:29 AM
I want to know why they pulled Harris from that spot? You would think they would want to keep it the same and not be playing around with that position.

badger
10/27/2008, 09:20 AM
You referring to Box or Crow?

I was referring to Box (as Crow played in the ut loss, not the ksu win), but I really felt bad for Crow. He really seemed to be trying hard, but he just couldn't be Ryan Reynolds.

I know that one of our coaches said "If you don't like it, get better," but what if you can't get better? What if you're not going to be as good as Ryan Reynolds?

And I know that quote was in reference to blowouts, but that was about what we were looking at.

But yeah, give Box time. As for Crow, he needs our support too, because he is not only a Sooner, but he's from Oklahoma too.

CK Sooner
10/27/2008, 09:35 AM
He was playing hurt, give him a break.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/article.aspx?subjectID=92&tab=ou&articleid=20081026_92_B4_OUsAus951768

BornandBred
10/27/2008, 09:52 AM
Said Venables: "Austin's a sharp guy. He'll learn from his mistakes."

As much as I might question BV as a DC, I think he's a great LB coach. If he says he'll be fine, I believe him.

Fraggle145
10/27/2008, 11:00 AM
I want my MLB to do this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMI4qj0pj3E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMI4qj0pj3E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is that too much to ask?

CK Sooner
10/27/2008, 11:04 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMI4qj0pj3E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMI4qj0pj3E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is that too much to ask?

You have to have SEC speed to do that, sorry.

:D

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2008, 11:48 AM

Is that too much to ask?

You need the opposing QB to setup his RB like that - big12 QBs don't do that very often.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/27/2008, 12:23 PM
You want our Middle linebacker to get dominated by Alabama...but make one highlight reel hit?

Fraggle145
10/27/2008, 02:14 PM
You want our Middle linebacker to get dominated by Alabama...but make one highlight reel hit?

I hate Tennessee, but that guys is an All-American and he is the best player on their whole team... Eric Berry is a beast. And I know he's a CB. I just want someone to come out and lay some wood.

Another example:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bZKTaC9-jDQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bZKTaC9-jDQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PalmBeachSooner1
10/27/2008, 02:35 PM

He's plays in the Majors?

CK Sooner
10/27/2008, 03:02 PM
He's plays in the Majors?

That is played out already.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/27/2008, 03:07 PM
Can I at least get a rim shot?

T_Boner
10/27/2008, 03:46 PM

"played well"...what? I'm not one to bad mouth a player, but that's crazy....he played horrible.

Still, people give him time some time, lets see what happens.

boomermagic
10/27/2008, 03:47 PM
Let's give Box a chance we really need him to come on strong at that position and I think he will in a couple of games..

PalmBeachSooner1
10/27/2008, 03:56 PM
I agree and think he has great potential.

St. Louis Sooner
10/27/2008, 04:30 PM
I'll climb on that wagon.

I think BV's scheme is too complicated to pick up quickly; we're in a world of hurt at that position ... especially since BV applies too much pressure during the games for the kids to learn; :pop:

CK Sooner
10/27/2008, 04:38 PM
"played well"...what? I'm not one to bad mouth a player, but that's crazy....he played horrible.

Still, people give him time some time, lets see what happens.

:rolleyes:

kevpks
10/27/2008, 05:35 PM
Luckily we have a relatively easy game coming up against Nebraska and a bye week where he can get some reps and get ready for Tech and OSU.

Man, that was a wierd sentence to write.

Let's try a 4-4-4 and see if the refs notice. I mean it is the Big XII. We could pull it off for a least a quarter or quarter and a half I bet.

picasso
10/27/2008, 05:56 PM
wow, I had no idea he was playing middle linebacker when Reynolds went down.

MissouriSooner
10/27/2008, 11:02 PM

I must have been watching a different game than you. I didn't see AB make a play all day. He was running away from the TE on two big pass plays, and he was 5 yards behind the slotback across the middle on the fourth KSU TD. I certainly hope he improves, but it does answer the question of why Brandon Crow was inserted at Dallas when RR went down. Frankly, I thought Nic Harris played better at LB than he did at SS last week. Why not move him back to the middle and let him roam?

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 11:05 PM
I must have been watching a different game than you. I didn't see AB make a play all day. He was running away from the TE on two big pass plays, and he was 5 yards behind the slotback across the middle on the fourth KSU TD. I certainly hope he improves, but it does answer the question of why Brandon Crow was inserted at Dallas when RR went down. Frankly, I thought Nic Harris played better at LB than he did at SS last week. Why not move him back to the middle and let him roam?

The MLB spot is not a "roam" position, it is largely a stay at home and plug the middle against the run, and drop back into the shallow middle versus pass position.

BornandBred
10/28/2008, 08:22 AM
From what I saw, Nic didn't play that well. He took some bad angles and missed some tackles, basic stuff. I wonder if this mental lapse was due to him being tired or not having all his focus be on SS. I'd expect it was because he was tired. I still think we should give Box more time at mike. I think he'll be fine once the game slows down for him.