PDA

View Full Version : Could it be.....

oumartin
10/26/2008, 08:23 AM
That running the same defense for 10 years has allowed offenses to to understand exactly how to attack this defense? I'm not saying there are not problems because I think there are. Just hear me out.

It seems that most teams in the big 12 know the tendancies of our Defense.
They know where the seams are going to be, they know where to sit down against our zone. They know that the 5 yard short passes will be there all day. Teams that run a no huddle or hurry up offense can take those 5 yard dink and dunks right down the field. Blitzing only seems to work against a conventional drop back passer. The quick slants and other short timing patterns are out of the QB's hands long before any blitz will arrive. Teams also seem to understand our blitzing packages and where the voids will be and how to exploit them.

Just as defenses catch up with offenses after a few years just maybe the big 12 and possibly others who can watch game film for any extended period of time can also figure out exactly what is coming at them.

kingsby
10/26/2008, 08:33 AM
I think you are right, and just for that reason I think we need new life at DC, someone with new schemes and blitz packages. Just like when stoops first got here the zone blitz was new to the B12 and OU was strong at D.

Look how well Texas did when they brought in Chizik, and now after they brought in Muschamp.

New blood at DC is need.

StoopTroup
10/26/2008, 08:38 AM
Did you guys think that Stoops might have wanted to do that but since he had possibly the Best O-lines in College Football and one of the most promising QB / Receiver Corps he's had since Jason White's two runs on the MNC....that maybe...just maybe...he thought scrapping the entire Defense for a new DC might be a bad idea this year?

Just a thought that runs through my mind...

kingsby
10/26/2008, 08:41 AM
Einstein's definition of insanity ... do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.

StoopTroup
10/26/2008, 08:41 AM
So Bob's insane now...

OK...

kingsby
10/26/2008, 08:45 AM
No not at all ... if you are happy with going 10-2, 9-3 year over year. Then keep doing what you are doing with the defense. And maybe one year we will score 55+ points in each game we play and win the 8th Title.

Until then I think a national title is a very difficult goal to reach

oumartin
10/26/2008, 08:48 AM
Don't scrap the defense but alter it a bit. and hey. Look at what Muschamp has done down at Texas. Sure that defense isnt' great but he brought in some new ideas and a new attitude.

I almost feel that Bob would rather go down with the ship and or walk away then to have to make a decision with Venables. Bob is true to his friends almost to a fault. I would never ask him to fire Venables but it seems anytime we get tired of an assistant they take a head coaching position and that keeps Bob from ever having to make a decision as far as keeping or firing an assistant. He has yet to fire anyone from his staff.
Just please get Venables some help.

Thats all I want..

CtheB
10/26/2008, 08:54 AM
I'll get flamed for this, but Tim Beckman has finally got OSU playing defense, when defense has stunted the program's growth for years. Now look at 'em. I hope it does not happen, but I am anxious to see the Venables supporters "the day after" TTech or OSU rings 45+ up on what has become a matador defense at best.

wishbonesooner
10/26/2008, 08:54 AM
It sure does look like Bob feels more loyalty to Venables than he does the program that has quite frankly made him a fantastically rich man. Now there's no doubt he is a great coach, and he'd be getting millions from any other school, but damn, how many times has the program ponied up to keep him? Bob is the only person that can fix things.

StoopTroup
10/26/2008, 08:55 AM
No not at all ... if you are happy with going 10-2, 9-3 year over year. Then keep doing what you are doing with the defense. And maybe one year we will score 55+ points in each game we play and win the 8th Title.

Until then I think a national title is a very difficult goal to reach

You didn't read what I said then...

Maybe...just maybe...scrapping the D this year was a bad idea.

Maybe...with Reynolds in there and some turnovers here and there...the Defense would have looked good enough to get the job done.

To beat us this year...it looks like your gonna have to outscore us by more than a TD going into the 4th quarter.

Even though we gave up 28 to ksu on the road yesterday...we were never in danger of losing that game. Not even close.

Scrap the defense?

Definitely not right now....

That would be insane.

oumartin
10/26/2008, 09:00 AM
His loyalty to his staff is why i feel that if he were to leave this program, after this year will be the year, otherwise I think he is here for the duration of his coaching life.

because I feel there needs to be changes made concerning Chris Wilson and special teams and getting some help on the defensive side as far as coaching is concerned.

StoopTroup
10/26/2008, 09:05 AM
Bob letting up on the gas pedal yesterday was his way of possibly making some of the changes Martin is talking about.

We held them to 7 points in the 2nd half and when they showed any chance of trying to get back in it...it failed.

Yesterdays game wasn't pretty but Bob was in no danger of being out coached yesterday.

The texas game we lost...we were pretty evenly matched...McCoy had the best day at QB he ever had and we lost control in the 4th quarter. We should be undefeated but we're not...texas is....and after watching them play aggy yesterday...their defense isn't all that either....they outscored aggy...

MojoRisen
10/26/2008, 09:45 AM
Texas Tech can hold Kansas to 14 points 98% of the game- Texas Tech

Do we need to say anything else? BV I am sorry but if we ran a vanilla defense with our players we would not have given up 500+ yards too K State.. Hell run the 52 and Man up every single player at the line of scrimage bump and run and we do not give up 550 yards. With all this quick passing in the big 12 - no blitz is going to work when they run those plays which is 90% of time - and typically who ever blitzes is the easy hot route for the QB...

I would be all for man coverage and bump and run - if we get decent pressure on the QB and the timing is off on the 5 yard dink... I bet we make more stops... I wonder why teams are trying bump and run- hell just tackle the guy at the line of scrimage before 5 yards- no way the timing would be there for 90% of the plays with a bump and run...

kingsby
10/26/2008, 09:59 AM

Maybe...with Reynolds in there and some turnovers here and there...the Defense would have looked good enough to get the job done.

To beat us this year...it looks like your gonna have to outscore us by more than a TD going into the 4th quarter.

Even though we gave up 28 to ksu on the road yesterday...we were never in danger of losing that game. Not even close.

Scrap the defense?

That would be insane.

You're right it is too late to do anything about the defense this year.

My point is going in 2009, as long as the defense is run by BV as is without any new coaching, I don't care who is coming back, who we have recruited .... we will go 9-3 or 10-2. This is my point.

That is all

85sooners
10/26/2008, 10:29 AM
:pop:

wishbonesooner
10/26/2008, 11:00 AM
I remember a cold January Sunday afternoon, on this stage put up on Owen Field. Bob and a whole bunch of dignitaries were showing off the shiny crystal football the Sooners had just won. I was there and I remember Bob saying in front of the whole world, "You shouldn't Thank me for winning a national championship, you should expect it from me".
We do Bob. That's why it's so hard to figure why you don't seem to these days.

freshchris05
10/26/2008, 11:10 AM
somethin needs to spark a fire.. i know we still have the athletes and players out there on d to do damage... so its not like we are putting a team of sub-par athletes together and hoping... this d has some names

freshchris05
10/26/2008, 11:12 AM
and... not to be that guy, but if we get a couple holding calls to go our way a few times maybe the d line could do more damage... because it all starts up front, and our dline has a good initial burst until they are all tackled from behind.. heh but oh well.. i just hope we finish strong

bcgvh
10/26/2008, 11:28 AM
I want to know how we can bring a heavy blitz and still not get to the QB very quickly.....watching Arizona play USC last night, that looks more like an OU defense and with far less talented players...I miss Mike...

oumartin
10/26/2008, 11:33 AM
Simple answer. Look at the qb's that light up this defense.

qb's that have the ability to roll out and either scramble or throw an accurate pass.
Short passing game!
We are not playing against the old conventional drop back style passing attack. its 1,2,3, pass. Its all set on timing with an occassional deep ball.
The blitzes don't have the time to get to the QB. escpecially one who is taking a shotgun snap.

You compare QB sacks of teams like Tech, Texas, and OU and compare it to teams with conventional drop back style QB's..

teams with the short passing games just don't give up sacks. They don't have to protect the QB very long.

that being said. we do not disquise our blitzes well and we bring them from only one place.

RedstickSooner
10/26/2008, 12:00 PM

Scrap the defense?

That would be insane.

The only year since 1999 when it would've been a "good" year to scrap our defense, by your logic, would be during Stupid's year as QB.

This is an interesting new wrinkle on things, though: "No, really, Stoops *wants* to fire Vulnerables. It's just not a good year for it, see."

I guess he wanted to fire Vulnerables last year, too, but he had a redshirt freshman quarterback starting, see, and he didn't want to ruin the guy's confidence by throwing him out there with no defense.

Oh, and the year before last, he would've fired him then, but we'd just had a quarterback crisis, and the last thing ENA needed was to try and carry the team entirely on his shoulders. Plus, it was probably going to be AD's last season, and he'd given too much to the program to ruin his final year with a bunch of defensive tinkering which'd overshadow what should be his showcase year. That might even be the difference between AD winning a Heisman, and not winning a Heisman.

Luckily, in the 2017 season, every condition will be optimal for coaching changes, and Stoops will *finally* get his wish, and be able to fire Vulnerables.

Yup. Can't wait.