PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Venables please have resume' ready tonight..

mikee likee
10/25/2008, 01:12 PM
your blitz packages el sucko. the linebackers look lost.

wishbonesooner
10/25/2008, 01:15 PM
He can't scheme to stop a spread. Who would hire him? OSU will tear this defense apart.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2008, 01:22 PM
Wow....The bandwagon I started is getting quite large.

auto
10/25/2008, 01:25 PM

Going to have to get another wagon:D

OUmillenium
10/25/2008, 01:25 PM
The masses are starting to believe! Hey Curly Bill, you hearin this?

OklahomaRed
10/25/2008, 01:26 PM
I'm in. :D

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2008, 01:28 PM

WE NEED MORE SCHOONERS!

MI Sooner
10/25/2008, 01:58 PM
When are all the a-holes who criticized those who criticized BV for the last five years going to apologize? I think it's hilarious that people can still say that it wasn't coaching, that we just missed tackles, or stumbled, or got gypped by the refs. I could see that happening for a play, series, half, or even game, but not game after game. Colorado held this team under 14 points. And I'm not saying it's necessarily all BV's fault. Stoops should get some of the blame too. But Stoops, judged by the program's success, consistently performs in a good way. BV, judged by the defense, doesn't.

The Remnant
10/25/2008, 02:46 PM
I really don't know who is to blame. But since 2004 each year has been a slow descent into mediocrity. Is it Venables? The talent level? The lack of experience? What ever it is, we can all agree, this defense is not very good at this point in the season. Those who deny this remind me of an alcoholic who refuses to admit he has a drinking problem.

chad
10/25/2008, 02:56 PM
The longer this KSU game goes, the more I want BV gone.

we're just luckily today we got some good turn overs.

oumartin
10/25/2008, 03:25 PM
Everyone says Mike coudn't recruit. Well if that is the case he sure the hell could coach. We have highly touted recruits for 6 years now and the defense gets worse.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/25/2008, 03:29 PM
National championship caliber teams do not give up 500+ yards of offense. Period.

MR2-Sooner86
10/25/2008, 03:30 PM
Alright lets play a little game. Spot what's wrong.

OU
58 points
523 yards of total offense

Kansas State
35 points
550 yards of total offense

OUmillenium
10/25/2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, OUmartin, that's what it seems like. Theres no way our talent level is worse now than before BV took over as DC, but our defense is much much worse. We only look good against crap teams and even in those games there are plays that make you say "Yikes, its a good thing we are playing Suckaz U today or we would be getting lit up." Then we get lit up by average and good teams.

Thankfully this year we have a stellar offense and qb. What if we had the offense of 2001 or 2005?...ugh

Hella Sideburns
10/25/2008, 03:32 PM
how did we manage to hold josh freeman under 500 yards?

looks like we've got our defense back on the right track.

OUmillenium
10/25/2008, 03:34 PM
So without the KSU turnovers, do we win today?

adoniijahsooner
10/25/2008, 03:38 PM
I really have no idea what to say in regards to this defense. Joe Ganz and the huskers are licking their chops to get to us next week. I bet they play poorly tonight, because they know they will be able to pad their stats next saturday.

misplaced_sooner
10/25/2008, 03:41 PM
So without the KSU turnovers, do we win today?

I'm not sure. That game could have been very, very close without the takeaways.

adoniijahsooner
10/25/2008, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure. That game could have been very, very close without the takeaways.

I doubt it, because our offense would have stayed in high gear, and eventually freeman's arm would have cramped from throwing so many touchdowns, but sam would have kept lighting up the scoreboard.

Remembering Tom Stidham
10/25/2008, 04:37 PM
How did we wind up with sucha pathetic kicking game? My thoughts on our defensive coaches has already been given!

Sooner Stew
10/25/2008, 05:01 PM
bv is not going anywhere so better get used to it...he's doing the best with what he has...we won folks so just be happy...they just aren't up to par yet so we just give up on them and bv? I cant do that...I have to think that these guys on defense are doing their best to get better each day and bv is doing everything in his power to get them in the right spots on the field.

as sooner fans we should be behind them all the way

and give freeman some credit...he's got an amazing arm

wishbonesooner
10/25/2008, 05:37 PM
"National championship caliber teams do not give up 500+ yards of offense. Period."

We are not a national championship caliber team. Pains me to say it, but we just aren't.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/25/2008, 05:42 PM
That was my point.

Sooner Stew
10/25/2008, 05:46 PM
"National championship caliber teams do not give up 500+ yards of offense. Period."

We are not a national championship caliber team. Pains me to say it, but we just aren't.

so you are saying that the defense cant get better? that they will play this way for the rest of the season...i don't see that being the case....they are doing the best they can..always so negative its ridiculous

birddog
10/25/2008, 05:50 PM
so you are saying that the defense cant get better? that they will play this way for the rest of the season...i don't see that being the case....they are doing the best they can..always so negative its ridiculous

i've seen us get embarrassed too many times in big games to think we could turn it around against florida, usc etc.

our linebackers are lost half the time.

chad
10/25/2008, 05:52 PM
bv is not going anywhere so better get used to it...he's doing the best with what he has...we won folks so just be happy...they just aren't up to par yet so we just give up on them and bv? I cant do that...I have to think that these guys on defense are doing their best to get better each day and bv is doing everything in his power to get them in the right spots on the field.

as sooner fans we should be behind them all the way

and give freeman some credit...he's got an amazing arm
We are behind the players 100% of the time (barring stupid legal issues). However, the coaching staff is open for criticism. They are getting paid good money to do what they do. It is their job and we are their clients.

If they don't produce with the players they have, then they need to improve or get fired. BV hasn't improved anything on defense since he's been the coordinator. The stats back that up.

Complacency from the fans, breeds mediocrity. We are OU, we shouldn't allow any team to score 20+ points, and we never should allow 400+ yards a game, something that is becoming a common thing. Looking forward Tech and Okie-state there could be two more games that have outrageous defensive stats.

We should not back down when we feel our donations, our time, our money for paraphernalia , and our team is being given anything less than the best coaches in the country.

BV does not bring the nation championship caliber defense to field that we once had. What exactly is wrong, intensity, schemes, positions, poor instruction, I don't know; but I do know our defense is not where it should be.

Sooner Stew
10/25/2008, 06:02 PM
ok whatever...i don't agree...as of last week OU had the best total defense in the Big 12...i know they arent as stout as everyone wants them to be but we cant always have what we want and the fact of the matter is we are stuck with bv and we are stuck with the guys we have playing every week and all we can do is hope they improve...it doesnt do any good to bash bv...its not going to change anything...he or the rest of the Sooner D doesnt care what everyone is saying...they just want to win...and they have been doing that

possumfat
10/25/2008, 06:04 PM
its not the players..................it's the coaching at some level.

DangTire
10/25/2008, 06:12 PM
When are all the a-holes who criticized those who criticized BV for the last five years going to apologize? I think it's hilarious that people can still say that it wasn't coaching, that we just missed tackles, or stumbled, or got gypped by the refs. I could see that happening for a play, series, half, or even game, but not game after game. Colorado held this team under 14 points. And I'm not saying it's necessarily all BV's fault. Stoops should get some of the blame too. But Stoops, judged by the program's success, consistently performs in a good way. BV, judged by the defense, doesn't.

They'll never apologize because they're too busy trying to blame the refs or figure out which athlete they can blame this week for incompetent D. The excuses will be flowing like wine in a couple of days and we'll have another blow hard thread from JKM about how it's Mikes fault or Brian Bosworth's fault or some such nonsense.

LosAngelesSooner
10/25/2008, 06:12 PM
K-State: 553 total yards. 486 passing yards. To a 4 loss team from the Big 12 North.

Brent Venables needs a wake up call. To say otherwise is to deny the most obvious of truths.

DangTire
10/25/2008, 06:15 PM
ok whatever...i don't agree...as of last week OU had the best total defense in the Big 12...i know they arent as stout as everyone wants them to be but we cant always have what we want and the fact of the matter is we are stuck with bv and we are stuck with the guys we have playing every week and all we can do is hope they improve...it doesnt do any good to bash bv...its not going to change anything...he or the rest of the Sooner D doesnt care what everyone is saying...they just want to win...and they have been doing that

You don't agree because you've got your head buried in your nether regions. 35 points and 550 yards and you're talking about hoping they improve? How much ****ing worse can they get? Is Vulnerables paying you in candy corns to come in here and type this sunshine sewage?

Mjcpr
10/25/2008, 06:17 PM

One huge reason is because our defense sucks.

Newbomb Turk
10/25/2008, 06:20 PM
One huge reason is because our defense sucks.

this team is like Tony Romo.

they get the chicks but they don't have "it".

;)

DangTire
10/25/2008, 06:20 PM
K-State: 553 total yards. 486 passing yards. To a 4 loss team from the Big 12 North.

Brent Venables needs a wake up call. To say otherwise is to deny the most obvious of truths.

I was hoping for that wake up call to be delivered after the USC Cleveland steamer. Unfortunately the phone is permanently off the hook, I'm afraid. This guy is clueless as a coordinator and Bobby doesn't give a ****.

phislammajamma
10/25/2008, 06:23 PM
its not the players..................it's the coaching at some level.

when it's 4th and 5, why are our db's lined up 10 yards away from the receiver? can someone please 'splain?

Big D Sooner
10/25/2008, 06:27 PM
What I have noticed with the OU defense in recent years:
1) Poor angles- The defensive players take terrible angles and end up chasing the play instead of putting themselves in the position to make a play. For example, how many times are the defenders going to have open shots at the QB but then get faked out on a stutter step. Then they compound the problem by chasing the QB instead of taking an angle to cut the QB off and make him throw over the defensive player.
2) Tackling- Too much reaching, too much grabbing, too little breaking down at the hips and getting their their body into the tackle.
3) Playcalling- I get that we are, in essence, a zone blitzing team. Problem is, it seems like that if the QB gets the ball off quickly, there are huge holes in our zones.

All of these are fixable. I just don't know if the person to do that is on the staff yet.

Big D Sooner
10/25/2008, 06:28 PM
I'm not saying fire BV. Maybe it is time to mix up the staff and bring in fresh blood.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2008, 06:30 PM
You Debbie downers are missing out on a very interesting season in 2 ways by focusing on the negative.

1) When times are tough, how a team comes together is the true test of the team and the individual players. Times are tough for the defense right now and they are struggling to find an identity. We all knew we were thin at LB all the way back to spring ball and losing RR was the worst possible guy to lose. We are forced to try new schemes and players at new positions mid-season. This is going to result in busted assignments and big plays, period. Can we find an identity? Who will step up? Can we cut down on the big plays? The clock is ticking. I find it all very interesting. I also detect a ray of hope. How many 3rd down conversions did KU have? How many forced turnovers today? How many sacks?

2) Sam and the offense are something very special this year. Remind yourself of that, cause you'll really miss it when it's gone. Even if the D can't get better, Sam and the boys are worth the price of admission.

Sooner Stew
10/25/2008, 06:36 PM
You Debbie downers are missing out on a very interesting season in 2 ways by focusing on the negative.

1) When times are tough, how a team comes together is the true test of the team and the individual players. Times are tough for the defense right now and they are struggling to find an identity. We all knew we were thin at LB all the way back to spring ball and losing RR was the worst possible guy to lose. We are forced to try new schemes and players at new positions mid-season. This is going to result in busted assignments and big plays, period. Can we find an identity? Who will step up? Can we cut down on the big plays? The clock is ticking. I find it all very interesting. I also detect a ray of hope. How many 3rd down conversions did KU have? How many forced turnovers today? How many sacks?

2) Sam and the offense are something very special this year. Remind yourself of that, cause you'll really miss it when it's gone. Even if the D can't get better, Sam and the boys are worth the price of admission.

awesome post i totally agree

Big D Sooner
10/25/2008, 06:40 PM
I was impressed with how the defense created turnovers. I also liked that after KSU went on that run of 21 points, they started playing a little better. But I do think it is okay to identify aspects of the game that our defense does not do particularly well.

Mjcpr
10/25/2008, 06:41 PM
I was impressed with how the defense created turnovers. I also liked that after KSU went on that run of 21 points, they started playing a little better. But I do think it is okay to identify aspects of the game that our defense does not do particularly well.

You mean like giving up runs of 21 points to one of the worst teams in the Big XII NORTH?

Curly Bill
10/25/2008, 06:45 PM
The masses are starting to believe! Hey Curly Bill, you hearin this?

Curly Bill has known for a few years now that Venables is not the answer. Glad to see that others are now seeing it as well.

OU-HSV
10/25/2008, 06:54 PM

I don't think you started the bandwagon alone man. :D
But I agree..it's funny how long it's taken some people to admit we have some defensive coaching problems.

I love the Sooners just like all of you, but there's no need to let teams consistently light us up like this.
There's no excuses. If our O scores too fast for the D to catch their breath, we should be deeper than we are...if our talent pool is as huge as recruiting reports, we ought to be deep enough to rotate guys in. If Ryan Reynolds gets hurt, we ought to have players capable of filling his shoes.
If the majority of the teams we play run a spread offense, we ought to use a scheme that is effective against it (or we ought to be able to adjust), and Brent ought to be the man to figure out what that scheme or fix should be.

3 things are obvious in our games this year, our special teams across the board are troublesome and our defense struggles to play consistently good. And the third thing is our offense can and will put points up on anyone in the country. The question is, what happens if/or when someone holds our offense under 28 points..how can our defense slow these offenses down? That's what scares me.

All that being said, I love the fact that we continue to outscore people. I just hope the coaches make proper adjustments to fix the problems that we do have.

Okie35
10/25/2008, 07:00 PM
i dont care what anyone has to say against bv i mean sure sometimes he calls blitzes when they aren't necessary but its not all his fault... he cant go out there and tackle or be in the right position during the play... a lot of players werent fundamentally sound earlier today and that made me mad more than the play calling... bad angles for plays bad tackles again... the 4 turnovers was when our defense was clicking and thats how we need to play all game... the defense just plays uninspired or takes plays off...

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/25/2008, 07:17 PM
It's amazing that our Middle linebacker was making his first start EVER and our front 7 does not have a single senior...i still say this defense is a year away because both of our corners are inexperienced and our linebackers are WAY under experienced

Curly Bill
10/25/2008, 07:20 PM
Our defense has consistently been a year away since BV took over. Can we ever expect that "year" to get here?

the_ouskull
10/25/2008, 08:00 PM

You? Started? Bah.

the_ouskull

Curly Bill
10/25/2008, 08:06 PM
I don't know if I started the bandwagon or not, but I've been on it for a long time. :D

misplacedsooner
10/25/2008, 08:21 PM
today i saw 2 orange teams play the one they called #1 dominated time of possesion big time but the other teams defense still held them to 28...any reason they didnt get tired and give up big plays?? just wondering cause i think we are deeper and have much more talent. hmm

DangTire
10/25/2008, 11:34 PM
today i saw 2 orange teams play the one they called #1 dominated time of possesion big time but the other teams defense still held them to 28...any reason they didnt get tired and give up big plays?? just wondering cause i think we are deeper and have much more talent. hmm

Admitting that Vulnerables is an albatross around the neck of OU is not an easy thing around here. It's too bad an offense of this magnitude is being squandered because Bobby needs to keep a friend employed.

85sooners
10/25/2008, 11:36 PM
:D
Going to have to get another wagon:D:pop:

Curly Bill
10/25/2008, 11:37 PM
Admitting that Vulnerables is an albatross around the neck of OU is not an easy thing around here. It's too bad an offense of this magnitude is being squandered because Bobby needs to keep a friend employed.

Yep, there'll be a trivia question someday: Who kept Sam Bradford from winning a national championship?

...and the answer: Brent Venables. :D

SoonerinSouthlake
10/25/2008, 11:58 PM
amazing that year after year this is the convo about bv. folks do you believe on common denominators? The only one is BV.......year aftr year the D struggles. Year after year we try to blame certain talent. Sooner or later 100 percent of the observers have to find bv ultimately responsible....he is the D coordinator.

Id like to point the once very popular www.firegregdavis.com and the fact that Greg Davis is now considered a offenisve genious..(according to todays game v OSU)
Point being I hope bv can turn it around despite a lot of criticism

but the underperformance of our D since Mike Stoops left (not stats, the swagger) is undeniable

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/26/2008, 12:02 AM
I like all of the people that are acting like they are so bold for calling for Venable's head. Like the whole Admitting that Vulnerables is an albatross comment not being easy around here is ABSOLUTELY hilarious. Hell any support of Venables is met by RESOUNDING ridicule and incredulity. You guys are acting like you are being bold and courageous for standing up the masses...here is a hint you ARE the ****ING masses :P

Curly Bill
10/26/2008, 12:04 AM
I was one of the masses before we were the masses...:confused:

the_ouskull
10/26/2008, 12:06 AM
See, that's what I don't get either. I don't think that calling for his head IS a bold move at this point. Unpopular? Sure, a little. Sometimes positive change IS met with resistance. But, if we bring today's defense into the stadium against Tech, or, God forbid, any other halfway decent team (heh... those orange inbreds thought I meant them...) they are going to buttf*ck us in the mouth.

the_ouskull

CK Sooner
10/26/2008, 12:08 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/RumbleBritches/brent2.gif

DangTire
10/26/2008, 12:20 AM
See, that's what I don't get either. I don't think that calling for his head IS a bold move at this point. Unpopular? Sure, a little. Sometimes positive change IS met with resistance. But, if we bring today's defense into the stadium against Tech, or, God forbid, any other halfway decent team (heh... those orange inbreds thought I meant them...) they are going to buttf*ck us in the mouth.

the_ouskull

And make us like it while asking for seconds.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2008, 01:29 AM
I don't have an opinion on BV's future employment. What I don't get is the lynch mob 2/3 of the way through the season. Would anyone really advocate for a coaching change with 4 games left while sitting at #4 in the polls? The team would fall apart like a British sports car. It's circle the wagons time for the players and coaches we have right now. Then we can get out the torches after the season is over.

Collier11
10/26/2008, 01:34 AM
I don't think you started the bandwagon alone man. :D
But I agree..it's funny how long it's taken some people to admit we have some defensive coaching problems.

As many of you know I have vigorously defended BV for several yrs now, I think he does a good job and has been unfairly compared to Mike Stoops considering how much the offenses of the Big 12 have changed since Mikey left..That being said, I am getting sick of this. We shouldnt have given up more than 21 either of the last two weeks but made stupid mistakes repeatedly.

Also, Bob needs to swallow his fuggin pride and hire another top notch Special Teams coach ala Jonathon Hayes. Since he left our ST has been average at best

JLEW1818
10/26/2008, 01:45 AM
Anybody who thinks BV is a great defense coordinator should get their head out of their ***.

Look at the stats people, look at past big games.....

WE GIVE PEOPLE CAREER RECORDS

JLEW1818
10/26/2008, 01:46 AM
Harrell and Robinson will destroy our defense. BV is not going to snap his fingers and all of a sudden we are great.

TripleOption14
10/26/2008, 07:55 AM
The REAL problem friends is who ya gonna get to replace Venables this late in the season?? Where's the new D coordinator gonna come from??? You want Bobby Jack Wright to be the New D Coordinator the rest of the season?....

Flagstaffsooner
10/26/2008, 08:10 AM
Where's Gomer Jones when you need him?;)

nBoSTP
10/26/2008, 08:52 AM
I would rather him not prepare a resume because I would actually like to see him get another job somewhere else. What would his resume say? Job Title: Defensive Coordinator that cant stop the run or the pass and gives up 40 points in every big game I'm in.

PLaw
10/26/2008, 09:14 AM

Yeah, make that a wagon train if tech and osu each put up 500+ yards.

giving up 550 to ksu, wow.

BOOMER

Socrefbek
10/26/2008, 09:21 AM
I really don't know who is to blame. But since 2004 each year has been a slow descent into mediocrity. Is it Venables? The talent level? The lack of experience? What ever it is, we can all agree, this defense is not very good at this point in the season. Those who deny this remind me of an alcoholic who refuses to admit he has a drinking problem.

http://logo.cafepress.com/nocache/8/8445717.2784638.jpg

BV Version

We do not have a Defense Problem
We Give up 500 yards
We give up 30+ points
The Offense Scores 50
NO PROBLEM! :(

MojoRisen
10/26/2008, 09:30 AM
Venables is a likeable guy, fiery and recruits great... However I actually screamed at the top of my lungs during the game for Bob to go ahead and fire him and take over the defense in the game...

The fact is clear to me now that there is no way- in hell that we could be any worse on defense than we are... and that does not bold well for BV - again if he is not fired we need to pony up for a top notch Assistant DC or Co Defensive CO- and get vunerables ready to take on a head coaching job somewhere.

He has had 10 years to get it together, unfortunately it is getting worse... If Colorado can hold Kstate to 13 points - with our talent I would think most any D coordinator with a year to practice could call a game better than BV....

It really just can't be any more clear that we are not prepared for the other team on D

oudivesherpa
10/26/2008, 09:48 AM
The weakest part of the Sooners is special teams. The kickoff coverage has to be one of the worst in the country and has lead to great field position for our opponets. The overall defense is also weak--for the defensive and special teams coaches need to look for other employment opportunities--maybe they can learn to say, "would you like fries with your order?"

oumartin
10/26/2008, 10:05 AM
I don't believe the answer is to fire Venables.

Do you people realize that venables would much rather run a man defense over a zone. He had to learn this defense when he came from k-state.
I belive Mike was familiar with it but they ran a man defense at K-state.

Mike was able to scheme blitzes that were disguised well and he brought cornerbacks and or safties on occassion. Venables only seems to blitz with his linebackers.

The person that wants to run this zone defense is the man himself. Bob Stoops. this is his puppy. This is the defense he wants to run.

While I didnt' exactly make my point here what I wanna say is Venables needs to stay at OU, he helped bring the monster back. What we need is some fresh ideas on that side of the ball and Bob needs to be more flexible and if we need to change up to a man on man defense lets do it.

Venables is trying his hardest and I bet Bob is doing all he can to make Venables successful. Sure sometimes Venables makes me wanna choke him but in all honestly I just think its time to run a different style defense.
The person hardest to convince is probably gonna be Bob Stoops.

The_Red_Patriot
10/26/2008, 11:01 AM
Good lord you people are freaking crazy. Remember before the season started what our questions were on defense? Lbs and Dbs. Most of you forgot about that after we shut down really crappy offensive talent early in the year.

Most of you blame BV for everything. Where is the blame for Bobby Jack Wright or hell even a player. A fan with even the least football knowledge can tell when our dbs or lbs blow an assignment. Just watch the game. As for BV cant scheme against a spread offense that has to be most moronic statement made. He proved that twice last year against Missouri. Mike Stoop's defenses got torched when he was here as well and not much has changed since he became a HC at Arizona.

I'm sorry but I have to blame some players this time around.

wishbonesooner
10/26/2008, 11:09 AM
"A fan with even the least football knowledge can tell when our dbs or lbs blow an assignment"

That's true, but they've been blowing assignments for the last 4 years, it's not just been this season. Is the learning curve that long for teaching players to tackle and play defense?

SoonerInLubbock
10/26/2008, 12:15 PM
Screaming at the top of my lungs all the way down here in west Texas " FIRE BV"!!!!!!!!:mad:

josh09
10/26/2008, 12:26 PM

We play in a conference where offenses MAKE defenses look bad because of how powerful they are. I think against a non-Big 12 team, we'd do pretty good.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/26/2008, 02:18 PM
You do realize that when we started controlling the clock in the second...OU only gave up 7 points and you do realize that Austin Box was like maybe 1 step from making about 4 more plays(and also the fact that he was adjusting to the speed and that one step will come with seeing things more often). Also, the Texas game looks more impressive with each passing week. I keep hearing about how great OsU looked against Texas....504 Total Yards...391 Passing Yards....11-14 on 3rd Downs...if that was impressive then our 438 Total Yards....277 Passing Yards...6-13 on Third Downs looks Damm impressive. Oh and btw that was also with losing a vital cog in the middle. Who is the only team to have a lead on the #1 team in the country? I am not saying the defense was impressive but imagine if Rocky Calmus or Torrance Marshall had gotten in hurt and see how much that would have effected us. Everyone needs to get off his *** about West Virginia as well. I mean seriously...he was without his best defensive tackle, best defensive end, and best defensive back. How many yards would have Sam have put up if Texas had been without Brian Orakpo, Roy Miller, and whoever is the best corner(i couldn't tell since they never really stopped Sam). Does USC beat Arizona this last week if you take away Rey Maualuga, Fili Moala, and Taylor Mays don't suit up

MyT Oklahoma
10/26/2008, 02:27 PM
On the lighter side some Kansas State fans told me yesterday that they heard if Ron Prince doesn't take KSU to a BCS bowl this year he is gone. So maybe there will be a Big 12 Coaching position available soon.

oumartin
10/26/2008, 02:28 PM
if IF and BUTS were players and coaches oh what a merry National Championship it would be.

badger
10/26/2008, 02:39 PM
I won't give up on BV until we lose a game we shouldn't have.

Cue someone here: WHAT ABOUT TEXAS?!

Yes, I know Texas was a shoulda-win and I have the avatar and sig to prove it (argh!!!), but nobody was planning for Ryan Reynolds to go down and when your starting quarterback, even your starting DEFENSIVE quarterbcak goes down, that's not the fault of any coach, nor any player. It's just something that happens.

So anyways, we should win the rest of our games. Get back to me when we lose and I might chirp in on one of these.

oumartin
10/26/2008, 02:40 PM
Colorado?
Taco Tech?
WVU?
Boise State?

I don't want venables gone either but there are four examples.

Sooner Stew
10/26/2008, 02:41 PM
Good lord you people are freaking crazy. Remember before the season started what our questions were on defense? Lbs and Dbs. Most of you forgot about that after we shut down really crappy offensive talent early in the year.

Most of you blame BV for everything. Where is the blame for Bobby Jack Wright or hell even a player. A fan with even the least football knowledge can tell when our dbs or lbs blow an assignment. Just watch the game. As for BV cant scheme against a spread offense that has to be most moronic statement made. He proved that twice last year against Missouri. Mike Stoop's defenses got torched when he was here as well and not much has changed since he became a HC at Arizona.

I'm sorry but I have to blame some players this time around.

well i have to totally agree..everyone on here though whines about bv being the problem lol

badger
10/26/2008, 02:44 PM
Colorado?
Taco Tech?
WVU?
Boise State?

I don't want venables gone either but there are four examples.

Ehhhhhhhhh... (deep breath now)

In Colorado, it was not BV's idea to not use a timeout before the final field goal that sealed the game for Colorado, but rather, the head coach's. In Taco Tech, we had our starting studly quarterback go down with an injury and nearly won despite this unexpected and awful event. Against West Virginia we had so many things happen off-the-field before the game that I can't even imagine what was going through the player's heads on the field... and it's not like we had an offense that game, either. As for Boise State, let's all scream our favorite four-letter word and try not to ever again think about Birdine's blown assignment on the final play.

And Boomer Sooner to you and to all, a good excuse! :D

okiewaker
10/26/2008, 02:48 PM

In Colorado, it was not BV's idea to not use a timeout before the final field goal that sealed the game for Colorado, but rather, the head coach's. In Taco Tech, we had our starting studly quarterback go down with an injury and nearly won despite this unexpected and awful event. Against West Virginia we had so many things happen off-the-field before the game that I can't even imagine what was going through the player's heads on the field... and it's not like we had an offense that game, either. As for Boise State, let's all scream our favorite four-letter word and try not to ever again think about Birdine's blown assignment on the final play.

With respect,,,phooeeey:)

badger
10/26/2008, 02:54 PM
Before I started at OU, I was at a high school with extreme losing and an NFL team that was mostly losing. The college team locally was a historic loser, but it was kind of fun seeing a Heisman and Rose Bowl run.

I have learned to appreciate a team that you can expect to win more than you lose, have better moments more than bad moments and bragging points more than excuse points.

I don't care if OU loses one or two games every season, because I've endured years of watching teams win one or two games every season... but by golly, those wins were the greatest and if they happen more often than not, then I can endure the few moments they're not, knowing that a great moment is just around the corner.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, mostly gentlemen, is why I'm making excuses for the few and far between loses.

oumartin
10/26/2008, 02:55 PM
Badger, always making excuses for BV.. :D

look if you read my posts I love the guy for what he has done. I just want to change up the scheme a little and or bring in a few fresh ideas via a Co-defensive coordinator..

oumartin
10/26/2008, 02:56 PM
what High School was that?

DangTire
10/26/2008, 03:10 PM
Before I started at OU, I was at a high school with extreme losing and an NFL team that was mostly losing. The college team locally was a historic loser, but it was kind of fun seeing a Heisman and Rose Bowl run.

I have learned to appreciate a team that you can expect to win more than you lose, have better moments more than bad moments and bragging points more than excuse points.

I don't care if OU loses one or two games every season, because I've endured years of watching teams win one or two games every season... but by golly, those wins were the greatest and if they happen more often than not, then I can endure the few moments they're not, knowing that a great moment is just around the corner.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, mostly gentlemen, is why I'm making excuses for the few and far between loses.

Mediocrity, thy name is badger.

DangTire
10/26/2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, make that a wagon train if tech and osu each put up 500+ yards.

giving up 550 to ksu, wow.

BOOMER

I would think this defense would need 10 turnovers to hold either of those teams to less than 500 yards and 42 points. I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/26/2008, 03:23 PM
Umm seeing as we gained more yards and allowed about the same yards as OsU did against Texas...I am sure we will be allright ;)

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/26/2008, 07:25 PM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/530/bvvz3.png

RedstickSooner
10/26/2008, 08:08 PM
It's weird, we had folks who were the same way when Long was OC -- there was nothing wrong with him, the years we sucked on offense with him were all because of things he couldn't help. Like lack of talent, or opposition was too hard, or players had a bad game, or we just didn't understand the genius of what he was doing, or Bob was pressuring him to coach conservatively, or maybe it was all because he'd insulted a gypsy woman and she'd cursed him.

So, I propose a simple question:

How bad, for how long, does our defense have to be before we can all agree that BV has to go?

I like to believe that I'm easy going, and patient, so I don't really mind waiting a bit, if it'll keep our fan base more unified. Heck, I'll even try arguing with my fellow headhunters, see if I can get them on board with the program.

However, we do need some kind of benchmark. A, well, timetable, if you will. This open ended defensive quagmire just doesn't sit well with us any more. Sure, a year or two, we understand. But this is going on five years. They don't even make a ribbon I can tie on a tree to show my ongoing suffering.

the_ouskull
10/26/2008, 08:10 PM

I'm sorry...

In Colorado, whose idea it was to call a timeout shouldn't have mattered. We took a much, much more talented team out onto the field and got beaten by a freshman quarterback. There was a time, we'll call it "The Mike Stoops Era" when SENIOR QB's doused their drawers at the site of an Oklahoma defense. Our offense didn't play exceptionally well that day, but we should have been able to nut up on defense when it was needed of us...

At Tech, you're right. Sam went down, offense sputtered. The defense actually played fairly well, all things considered.

West Virginia. This one is TOTALLY on the defense. Forget about all of the off-of-the-field stuff... These players are high-level D1 athletes and it's their job to put that stuff out of their heads, just like it's our coaches jobs to make sure that they do just that; and that they're prepared to play the next game. We were not, in any way, shape, or form, prepared to play against West Virginia. They completely imposed their will on our defense. 100% ownage.

Boise State. I know that they were all creative and stuff. Plays like that work against undisciplined teams with GOOD defenses. They do not work against GREAT defenses. Bottom line: We couldn't stop them when we needed most to stop them.

Texas: How long are we going to let receivers run past the deepest coverage and then catch the ball in stride? These zone coverages that we're playing are starting to make Bo freakin' Pellini look like a genius... I kept waiting for freaking Pee Wee Woods to run out onto the field... or OFF of the field after another blown coverage...

We're getting beaten by running games, we're getting dink-and-dunked, and we're getting beaten by big plays; the home-run and the long ball.

THAT can't be ALL on the players 'cause we've had turnover in all of the players... That's coaching. Like it or not, BV holds the title that is under the microscope like a freckled kid with a magnifying glass burning ants. And, that's a little ironic considering how our defense used to be revered like Gods, and now they're playing like... well, you get the idea.

the_ouskull

wishbonesooner
10/26/2008, 08:26 PM
Boise would never have been in position to pull those trick plays had we stopped them 40 yards upfield like we should have. They marched downfield methodically like so many others have done over the last several years, and we could not stop them. I remember a 3rd and ridiculously long they made to keep that drive going.

RedstickSooner
10/26/2008, 08:46 PM

Er... I thought at first you were bein', y'know, sorta tongue-in-cheek here -- but since everyone's arguing with you, now I'm starting to question myself. My beef with the examples you bring up is that I hate it when we focus on the final play of the game. Like the blown assignment against Boise State: That don't matter if we've played decent defense on the gazillion other opportunities in the game we had to stuff those jerks.

Your underlying point is valid, of course, as it's a team game and we've definitely been finding ways to lose as a team. I'm just to the point now where I'm willing to commit myself to the notion that, yes, one area of the team in particular just isn't pulling its weight. And some deadwood needs removing.

badger
10/26/2008, 09:19 PM
since everyone's arguing with you, now I'm starting to question myself.

You don't need to question anything. I knew what I said would not be agreed with and it wasn't. I mostly am tongue and cheek and all, especially on weekends, but this time, I'm serious. I think BV is the right person for the job (although yes, I liked Mikey quite well when he was here, but that time has passed and I've moved on).

I don't mind being called mediocre or wrong or whatever, because it's not worth getting upset over something that I cannot change --- whether it be other's opinions on BV, or BV as OU's defensive coordinator :)

Tulsa_Fireman
10/27/2008, 08:34 AM
Badg, you're mediocre and wrong.

Carry on. :P

pott_2
10/27/2008, 08:43 AM
This really should be a poll.

badger
10/27/2008, 09:03 AM
Badg, you're mediocre and wrong.

Carry on. :P

eff ewe, dee ess ;)