PDA

View Full Version : Was Missouri ever for real?

Soonermagik
10/24/2008, 11:37 AM
A lot of fans point to the Missouri win as a huge W, but I'm not so sure. It's pretty much the same team as last year that got throttled by Texas and beat by OSU at home.

I do realize that OSU and Texas are better than last year, but Missouri just seems to stink.

Personally, I don't think Missouri was ever for "real". Missouri plays in the weak North and barely got by Kansas last year. It cracks me up to have seen Chase Daniel on magazine covers and heisman talk. When Coffman, Daniels and possibly Maclin leave after this season, I bet the team will fall back into the crap teams of the North.

Sooner_09
10/24/2008, 11:39 AM
I agree..except for the weak conference part. Please tell me you meant they play in a weak division!?

And you're right, they won't be near as good next year.

Okie35
10/24/2008, 11:42 AM
kansas didn't suck last year... they won the orange bowl granted it was against a team w/ a horrible offense but vt's defense was great... but yea after this season missouri will be back to ole garbage days... im sure maclin will leave... i would... i mean i wouldn't want to be that one guy on a team that gets blamed for how bad the team is ...

froneal
10/24/2008, 11:43 AM
The sooner Chase quits trying to hog the Heisman limelight, the better. He was way overrated this year and played crap teams, and once he faced a quality defense he folded like a cheap suit.

MiccoMacey
10/24/2008, 11:44 AM
I'll reserve my judgement until they play Kansas.

But they've played two really good teams this year (one on the road). We've played one great team at a neutral site, and one really good team at home (if you call Kansas a really good team, which I think they'll end up being).

I just think the Big Twelve is light years ahead of the other conferences right now. Pick any of our top six teams (Texas, OSU, OU, Tech, Missouri, and KU) and I think they could lead any other conference.

soonervegas
10/24/2008, 11:45 AM
I think they were real coming into this season, but bought into the hype and didn't do the work needed over the summer.

Last year's team would have muidholed osu and taken texas into the 4th.

Sooner_09
10/24/2008, 11:45 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kansas beats Mizzou this year for the North title. Anyone with me?

Blitzkrieg
10/24/2008, 11:49 AM
Mu was for real, they just believed the hype a bit to much against aggy. They'd take fOecloSUre in best of seven no problem, just like I think OU would take texas in a series.

MU will win out and be in the top 8 or so, where they belong.

Okie35
I think they were real coming into this season, but bought into the hype and didn't do the work needed over the summer.

Last year's team would have muidholed osu and taken texas into the 4th.

yea true i remembered they shut down arkansas in their bowl game last year....

A Horn
I had asked the same thing. They got so much credit last year, but you guys were the only real team they played and they didn't even belong on the field with your squad.

Mizzou has always had at least a decent team, but they have to prove a lot in the coming month or so. If they win the Big 12 North, I think that still says something.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/24/2008, 11:50 AM

But they've played two really good teams this year (one on the road). We've played one great team at a neutral site, and one really good team at home (if you call Kansas a really good team, which I think they'll end up being).

I just think the Big Twelve is light years ahead of the other conferences right now. Pick any of our top six teams (Texas, OSU, OU, Tech, Missouri, and KU) and I think they could lead any other conference.

I don't think Tech or Mizzou is that great.

MiccoMacey
10/24/2008, 11:50 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kansas beats Mizzou this year for the North title. Anyone with me?

I am...which is why I'm reserving my judgement against them until then.

SoonerAtKU
10/24/2008, 11:51 AM
If you call the Kansas game last year a Big Game, can anyone tell me what other Big Games that Mizzou and Daniel have won? They had 3 chances against OU, 2 against Texas (and got 50+ hung on them both times), and won a bowl game against a crippled Arkansas team.

I guess if you call beating Nebraska's worst teams in 40 years and struggling to beat Illinois "Big Games", then you could make a case.

Okie35
10/24/2008, 11:54 AM
If you call the Kansas game last year a Big Game, can anyone tell me what other Big Games that Mizzou and Daniel have won? They had 3 chances against OU, 2 against Texas (and got 50+ hung on them both times), and won a bowl game against a crippled Arkansas team.

I guess if you call beating Nebraska's worst teams in 40 years and struggling to beat Illinois "Big Games", then you could make a case.

i dont really think its more on the players than it is on the personnel... i dont favor missouri ever but pinkel is a horrible big game coach... he just cant win any besides the bowl game last year whether arkansas was crippled or not they still had other ppl...

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2008, 11:57 AM
MU was definitely for real last year. They handled KU pretty well and it was worse than the final score. They stomped TT and CU (our 2 conference losses). I think they are about the same this year as last and that is what hurt them recently. They really thought they were going to be better (i.e. dominant) and when the pokes fought back, they weren't ready. As Dr. Lou warns "don't let a team beat you twice" - I think that is exactly what happened. They were so down from losing to OSU, they went into Austin expecting to lose and UT was happy to oblige.

Now that the MNC and heisman talk is behind them, they will either rebound to their capabilities or mail it in. If they rebound, they should still win the north.

badger
10/24/2008, 11:57 AM
Mizzou was close to beating OSU, but losses happen (see USC in Oregon State, 2008 et al), even to the best teams. I will not remind you that they've happened to us at home and on the road when all signs point to no possibility of it happening... oops, I just did.

Mizzou wasn't going to win the conference or the national championship this year, no doubt, but they can still have a semi-successful year and considering their non-championship history in the Big 12, is that really a bad thing?

King Crimson
10/24/2008, 11:59 AM
i think KU has good schemes and i like Reesing a lot. I saw them against Colorado and then last week and think they are pretty tough to defend.

Missouri is a good team (legit top 15), but they are kind of one dimensional.

i wouldn't be surprized to see KU beat MU in the Border War.

CtheB
10/24/2008, 01:14 PM
I think they are significantly talented at the skill positions, and terribly deficient everywhere else to be considered a contender.

And Kansas is Jimmy Stevens away from beating Mizzou last year.

OUmillenium
10/24/2008, 01:54 PM
Mizzou = pretenders

Glad they are returning to their position of suk. Thank goodness Chase Daniel has taken himself out of the Heisman race, what a terd.

Mile High Sooner
10/24/2008, 02:29 PM

You bet!

Adds to our BCS SoS. :cool:

EnragedOUfan
10/24/2008, 02:51 PM
I think Mizzou is for real................At least I thought they were last year. I have to give it to them, it looked nice for the Big 12 when they stomped Arkansas to oblivion.........BOOMER!

BrockLanders
10/24/2008, 03:06 PM
Mizzou blew then. They blow currently and will likely continue to blow in the future...

Johnny Utah
10/24/2008, 03:09 PM
This is an interesting thread, what with all the Mizzou bashing ... I guess that's what conference opponents are for. However, in the midst of SEC country (where I've lived for the past 20 years) there continues to be incestuous love (is that an oxymoron?) for one anothers conference foes. Over on the ESPN site the "SEC Sympathizers" are posting on the WVU vs Auburn story, that "the SEC is still the bestest conference evar" and other bullcrap like that. Even after 20 or so years I still don't get it.

St. Louis Sooner
10/24/2008, 03:55 PM

i ain't tryin' to pick on you, but TCU is also a very good football team; they'll probably beat utah and win the Mountain whachamahwhozit conference; patterson even had the audacity to say they 'gave us one' and he meant it; no one is picking them to be BCS busters, but I'd much rather have them than boyzy state;

St. Louis Sooner
10/24/2008, 04:02 PM
oh ... sorry ... back the thread: mizzou is a good team with a good QB and a good receiver ... but no heisman dude; unfortunately, their schedule doesn't have any BIG tests left unless they win the north then play us or texas;

to gain the respect they think they deserve, they HAVE TO beat us and/or texas ... that's it; it's as simple as that, and they don't have the horses to do it; they aren't fakes, they're just not as good as everyone makes them out to be;

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2008, 04:03 PM
I thought last season I may have been wrong about Pinkel..This season proves me right

SOONERxWife73
10/24/2008, 04:11 PM
i think they coulda been, but, booger has/had his eye on the heisman. all about me usually doesn't get you much in a team sport.

VA Sooner
10/24/2008, 09:14 PM
Not the defense that they were last year... secondary is poor. The offensive line isn't protecting Daniel... although they didn't do it well last year either. The difference was, he had Tony Temple to dump the ball off to which kept the offense balanced.

Much harder for Chase to stay on his feet this year... Texas defense showed that although they have a great defensive line, especially Brian Orakpo. He reminds me of what Austin English was last year. What happened?

Piware
10/24/2008, 10:45 PM
i think they coulda been, but, booger has/had his eye on the heisman. all about me usually doesn't get you much in a team sport.

Heh! The game commentators have mentioned that he calls his "good friend Mark Sanchez" or his "buddy Colt McCoy", fellow Heisman contenders, blah, blah, blah. Wonder if his calls are going directly to voice mail these days?!?

Regardless of the offense Mizzou runs, Booger Boy runs strictly out of the "I" formation.