PDA

View Full Version : ***Went and saw Mike Huckabee speak tonight***

Edmond Sooner
10/23/2008, 10:39 PM
Just got back from watching former Gov. Mike Huckabee give a speech at OCU here in OKLAHOMA CITY!!!!11 The auditorium was full, and he gave a pretty good stem-winder.

Two observations:

1. People are still really, really, really mad at the recent bailout. The biggest applause he got was when he denounced it during the Q & A session (which was pre-taped video questions from the students).

2. It's obvious he's running again in 2012.

crawfish
10/24/2008, 08:44 AM
The election would be a lot closer had he won the nomination.

sooner_born_1960
10/24/2008, 08:57 AM
OCU is not in Edmond.

Maybe you meant OC, or UCO?
http://www.oc.edu/carbonatedimages/oclogo.png

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 09:02 AM
I thought it was OCUSA. OCU is definately in Oklahoma City. ;)

Sooner_Bob
10/24/2008, 09:21 AM

Amen

froneal
10/24/2008, 09:51 AM

Really? I think it would have been even more of an Obama lead with Huckabee on the ticket, depending on his VP pick. McCain is fairly moderate and his pick of Palin, to me, was a symbolic nail in the coffin that's taken a long time to see the ramifications of. Huckabee, in my mind, is just as, if not further to the right as Palin, and the decision to pick Palin hasn't boded well for McCain. I do think Huckabee comes off as more likeable than McCain, and at 53 I think he'd be able to last long enough in office :D but his positions on pretty much everything I think would drive away those valuable moderate and independent voters. Just my two cents though.

e: Though I do think it would be closer with a McCain/Huckabee ticket. There's just less drama with Huckabee. He's had some bad gaffes but nothing really horrible has been dug up on the guy (yet, of course).

85Sooner
10/24/2008, 10:13 AM
You mean UCO

crawfish
10/24/2008, 11:34 AM
Really? I think it would have been even more of an Obama lead with Huckabee on the ticket, depending on his VP pick. McCain is fairly moderate and his pick of Palin, to me, was a symbolic nail in the coffin that's taken a long time to see the ramifications of. Huckabee, in my mind, is just as, if not further to the right as Palin, and the decision to pick Palin hasn't boded well for McCain. I do think Huckabee comes off as more likeable than McCain, and at 53 I think he'd be able to last long enough in office :D but his positions on pretty much everything I think would drive away those valuable moderate and independent voters. Just my two cents though.

e: Though I do think it would be closer with a McCain/Huckabee ticket. There's just less drama with Huckabee. He's had some bad gaffes but nothing really horrible has been dug up on the guy (yet, of course).

Huckabee has a sense of compassion that's missing from most Republicans, and a sense of humor that will allow him to connect with voters better than McCain. His down-to-earth style would contrast nicely with Obama's lofty rhetoric.

King Crimson
10/24/2008, 11:41 AM
i also think desperation has caused McCain to run a very erratic campaign. Rick Davis is kind of a tool. he says before the RNC that "this is a campaign that isn't about issues but personalities"? i think Huckabee would have stayed the course and "on message" much better.

Half a Hundred
10/24/2008, 01:44 PM
Huckabee is a classic populist. He would most likely agree with Obama on economic issues (more toward the left), making it mostly about personality and the role of religion in politics.

TUSooner
10/24/2008, 01:46 PM
Huckabee > Palin

Not exactly a stretch, I know.....

soonerscuba
10/24/2008, 01:59 PM
Mike Huckabee seems really down to the 6,000 year-old earth. Pass.

Edmond Sooner
10/24/2008, 02:28 PM
Folks:

No, I meant Oklahoma Christian, not UCO. Since it's on the north side of Memorial, I've always considered it to be in Edmond. All the kids who live in the neighborhood around it go to Edmond schools, after all.

Still, I looked it up and they do list themselves as being in Oklahoma City.

Mea culpa.

Edmond Sooner
10/24/2008, 02:33 PM
Mike Huckabee seems really down to the 6,000 year-old earth. Pass.

I didn't ask you to join his 2012 exploratory committee. I just think it's interesting to hear what any prominent politician has to say, especially when someone gets the opportunity to hear them in person.

Edmond Sooner
10/24/2008, 02:36 PM
Huckabee is a classic populist. He would most likely agree with Obama on economic issues (more toward the left), making it mostly about personality and the role of religion in politics.

His speech did take a populist theme. However, he blasted both the Republicans and Democrats for being more worried about economic problems instead of moral problems in this speech.

The thesis of his speech was basically that our economic problems are basically moral problems, because the country has lost its way in the latter regard.

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2008, 02:39 PM
Huckabee's a fun guy to listen to. I like his manner of speech and he has a sense of humor.

I'd probably vote for W. before him though.

Edmond Sooner
10/24/2008, 02:39 PM
OCU is not in Edmond.
http://www.oc.edu/carbonatedimages/oclogo.png

You're right, my bad.

Edmond Sooner
10/24/2008, 02:42 PM
Huckabee's a fun guy to listen to. I like his manner of speech and he has a sense of humor.

I'd probably vote for W. before him though.

He gave a very good speech, and it was well-received. He also has that self-deprecating wit that cracks people up. His way of speaking is very effective, and reminds me a lot of another former Governor from Arkansas.

Half a Hundred
10/24/2008, 02:51 PM
His speech did take a populist theme. However, he blasted both the Republicans and Democrats for being more worried about economic problems instead of moral problems in this speech.

The thesis of his speech was basically that our economic problems are basically moral problems, because the country has lost its way in the latter regard.

While that plays well right now, if he gears up for a 2012 run (and really runs, not just testing the waters like this year), he'll probably start railing more on the economic issues. Just like William Jennings Bryan, who I'd imagine is one of Huckabee's inspirations.

Unfortunately, I think he'll have Bryan's luck as well.

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 03:08 PM
No, again, OCU in Oklahoma City is the Methodist school on NW 23rd street. OCUSA is the Church of Christ school in okc/edmond.

Edmond Sooner
10/24/2008, 03:28 PM
No, again, OCU in Oklahoma City is the Methodist school on NW 23rd street. OCUSA is the Church of Christ school in okc/edmond.

This is the school I mean:

http://www.oc.edu/

They call themselves Oklahoma Christian University; please, for Christ's sake, contact them directly if you have any more complaints about what they call themselves.

Good Lord.

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 03:31 PM
Listen noob, its not my problem if you aren't clear in your descriptions. We are just trying to help you.

Edmond Sooner
10/24/2008, 03:34 PM
Listen noob, its not my problem if you aren't clear in your descriptions. We are just trying to help you.

Not interested in any more of your "help" - you were well aware of what institution I was referring to the first time I corrected myself. The rest of your bilge is just nitpicky ****-stirring.

The OP was about a speech by Mike Huckabee. Do you have anything you wish to add about that topic?

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 03:35 PM
He is a very funny guy, unlike you. Mr. "Knot in your underbritches"

He probably has the best sense of humor of any of the slate of canidates this election.

Edmond Sooner
10/24/2008, 03:37 PM

He probably has the best sense of humor of any of the slate of canidates this election.

I thought he was hilarious; even though I didn't vote for him in the primary I found his speech compelling.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2008, 03:39 PM

Easy there frank

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 03:41 PM
Don't make me open up a can of whoopem on you STEP~! ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2008, 03:43 PM
calm down man..it aint worth it....go back to your happy place..or is frontier city closed down?

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 03:44 PM
Well, I think it is open for Halloscream. Now is it in Oklahoma City or Edmond? Edmond Sooner, can I get a ruling?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2008, 03:51 PM
I thought it was in Midwest City....I m Midwest City Sooner!

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 03:51 PM
What no more comments on my "Bilge"? Thanks ES for teaching me how to post properly.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2008, 03:52 PM
Bilge?

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 03:55 PM
Not interested in any more of your "help" - you were well aware of what institution I was referring to the first time I corrected myself. The rest of your bilge is just nitpicky ****-stirring.

The OP was about a speech by Mike Huckabee. Do you have anything you wish to add about that topic?

See, he got all up in my grill.

JohnnyMack
10/24/2008, 03:56 PM
I see retards.

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 03:57 PM
Takes one to know one. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2008, 04:00 PM
BURRNN!

soonerscuba
10/24/2008, 04:01 PM
Y'all be stupid, UCO is in Ada. Jesus.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2008, 04:02 PM
Y'all be stupid, UCO is in Ada. Jesus.

yup...Urrrbody knows it

Turd_Ferguson
10/24/2008, 04:09 PM
Y'all be stupid, UCO is in Ada. Jesus.dammit....i thought it was in Bethany.:mad:

stoopified
10/24/2008, 05:32 PM
No, again, OCU in Oklahoma City is the Methodist school on NW 23rd street. OCUSA is the Church of Christ school in okc/edmond.Geography smack?Hmm.

frankensooner
10/24/2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, baby, ain't nuthin' like rollin NORTHSIDE

tbl
10/24/2008, 06:38 PM

His pick of Palin hurt him b/c of her interviews and the fallout from that. It had nothing to do with her conservative views. Of the people I know that are either not voting for McCain or wavering from it, the major point is that they believe she is a moran; not she's a hardcore right wing Christian conservative.

If Huck were on the ticket as VP, this thing would be down to the wire.

King Crimson
10/24/2008, 06:44 PM
His pick of Palin hurt him b/c of her interviews and the fallout from that. It had nothing to do with her conservative views. Of the people I know that are either not voting for McCain or wavering from it, the major point is that they believe she is a moran; not she's a hardcore right wing Christian conservative.

If Huck were on the ticket as VP, this thing would be down to the wire.

this is about what i think, but if Huckabee wants to take a run in 12 he's done well to stay off the McCain ticket. Palin was a good gamble but she's become a bit of an albatross...not because of unfair media coverage or her right views. she's a decent appeal to the true believers (like retirees in Florida) but she's not bringing home the "real conservatives" nor middle leaning undecideds. Biden is addition by subtraction...he's not an issue really. which is all the Obama campaign needs from him (other than foreign policy experience)....because the "star" is Obama.

like i said before, Rick Davis has run a pretty lousy campaign for McCain. though, i also don't think it's over yet by any means.

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2008, 07:10 PM
KC, reading some of the crosstabs and such from various polls, it seems to me that Palin has actually deeply hurt McCain's standing among Florida retirees. They don't like her at all-it seems that her perceived endorsement of Jews for Jesus (fair or not)-is really hurting her in that demo.

Plus, of course, there's Sarah Silverman's Great Schlep.

King Crimson
10/24/2008, 07:14 PM
KC, reading some of the crosstabs and such from various polls, it seems to me that Palin has actually deeply hurt McCain's standing among Florida retirees. They don't like her at all-it seems that her perceived endorsement of Jews for Jesus (fair or not)-is really hurting her in that demo.

Plus, of course, there's Sarah Silverman's Great Schlep.

that's interesting. i was just referring to a piece i heard on BBC radio about her on the retirement villages circuit in Fla....while Biden, McCain, and Obama were all either on the Sunday AM shows or showing up in "swing" areas.

the BBC angle they were protecting Palin by putting her in softball country.