PDA

View Full Version : This is too funny............or crazy..........

SoonerKnight
10/23/2008, 07:24 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27337812/?GT1=43001

TOKYO - A 43-year-old Japanese piano teacher's sudden divorce from her online husband in a virtual game world made her so angry that she logged on and killed his digital persona, police said Thursday.

She used his identification and password to log onto popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in mid-May, a police official in northern Sapporo City said on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.

"I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry," the official quoted her as telling investigators and admitting the allegations.

The woman had not plotted any revenge in the real world, the official said.

She was charged with illegal access onto a computer and manipulating electronic data, police said. If convicted, she could face a prison term of up to five years or a fine up to $5,000.

As in "Second Life" in the U.S., players in "Maple Story" raise and manipulate digital images called "avatars" that represent themselves, while engaging in relationships, social activities and fighting against monsters and other obstacles.

The woman used login information she got from the 33-year-old office worker when their characters were happily married, and killed the character. The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead.

The woman was arrested Wednesday and was taken across the country, traveling 620 miles from her home in southern Miyazaki to be detained in Sappporo, where the man lives, the official said.

The police official said he did not know if she was married in the real world.

In recent years, virtual lives have had consequences in the real world. In August, a woman was charged in Delaware with plotting the real-life abduction of a boyfriend she met through "Second Life."

In Tokyo, police arrested a 16-year-old boy on charges of swindling virtual currency worth $360,000 in an interactive role playing game by manipulating another player's portfolio using a stolen ID and password.

Virtual games are popular in Japan, and "Second Life" has drawn a fair number of Japanese participants. They rank third by nationality among users, after Americans and Brazilians.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

sooner_born_1960
10/23/2008, 07:30 PM
The guy should be thanking her for giving him his real life back.

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 07:41 PM
And I thot I didnt have a Life .:D

SoonerKnight
10/23/2008, 07:42 PM
arrested for taking make believe money! WOW!!!

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 07:44 PM

Oh hell , Am I gonna get arrested fer takin Rus's Play money in the Poker room ?:eek:

SoonerKnight
10/23/2008, 08:03 PM
Is it legal to gamble virtual money? ;)

Next the IRS is gonna come knockin on your door for the virtual taxes you owe!!!! :D

Frozen Sooner
10/23/2008, 09:15 PM

That I can see, as it's still something with value-people actually use that stuff to buy real things or pay real money for them. I mean, if someone swindled someone out of 3600 comic books, it's still a crime.

But man, your dude getting killed is just something you deal with. :D

setem
10/23/2008, 09:30 PM
That is like these kids!

Dutch Teens Found Guilty of Virtual Theft (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/10/22/dltheft122.xml)

SoonerKnight
10/23/2008, 10:11 PM
That I can see, as it's still something with value-people actually use that stuff to buy real things or pay real money for them. I mean, if someone swindled someone out of 3600 comic books, it's still a crime.

But man, your dude getting killed is just something you deal with. :D

but this was play money in a game?? Sheesh....these people need to get out more...taking a game so serious..... :confused:

proud gonzo
10/23/2008, 10:30 PM
wtf

Ardmore_Sooner
10/23/2008, 10:40 PM

I did time for stealing money in Monopoly. It's not a laughing matter.

Vaevictis
10/24/2008, 12:38 AM
but this was play money in a game?? Sheesh....these people need to get out more...taking a game so serious..... :confused:

It's not just play money. Linden money has an exchange rate for USD.

http://secondlife.com/whatis/economy-market.php

Sooner_Havok
10/24/2008, 05:04 AM
Hey guys, can you get an STD in your second life?:( :(

OUstudent4life
10/24/2008, 06:29 AM
It's not just play money. Linden money has an exchange rate for USD.

http://secondlife.com/whatis/economy-market.php

Which, technically, makes the movement of it taxable under the current IRS code.

SoonersEnFuego
10/24/2008, 07:29 AM
I'm gonna kill Lid's avatar.