PDA

View Full Version : OU/San Diego State - 1996

SteelClip49
10/23/2008, 11:54 AM
I was always curious about this game. Did anyone go to San Diego for it? I know the loss was bad but considering it was to SDSU, was this the point in time where Sooner fans knew that OU football was completely in the pooper? I barely remember any of the Boo era, thank god, but would this be the worst loss in the history of the program considering who the opponent was? Thoughts or whatever.....and I am not trying to send any negative vibes here or anything but I have always been curious about this game.

Widescreen
10/23/2008, 12:20 PM
The one positive outcome from that game was the arrival of Demond Parker. We averaged 9 yards/carry that day.

picasso
10/23/2008, 12:22 PM
Fuente caught fire too little too late in that one.

watched that one at J.R.'s before a TU game.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/23/2008, 12:25 PM
When this happened, I was 10, and living in Asia, so I don't have any memories or TRULY educated thoughts. But, briefly looking at SoonerStats...that SDSU team finished 8-3, we had 350 rushing yards, and that was the first road test for an unproven (an unqualified) coach, and a team still trying to find an identity after the SmellsofBourbon Experiment/Fiasco.

To me, the 1997 Northwestern game in Chicago (a 0-24 loss) looks far worse. 10 penalties, crap passing yards, unremarkable rushing yards, and 4 turnovers, to a Northwestern team that finished 5-7.

I'd really like to see 04 chime in on this one. Questions like these are where he usually shines.

picasso
10/23/2008, 12:29 PM
When this happened, I was 10, and living in Asia, so I don't have any memories or TRULY educated thoughts. But, briefly looking at SoonerStats...that SDSU team finished 8-3, we had 350 rushing yards, and that was the first road test for an unproven (an unqualified) coach, and a team still trying to find an identity after the SmellsofBourbon Experiment/Fiasco.

To me, the 1997 Northwestern game in Chicago (a 0-24 loss) looks far worse. 10 penalties, crap passing yards, unremarkable rushing yards, and 4 turnovers, to a Northwestern team that finished 5-7.

I'd really like to see 04 chime in on this one. Questions like these are where he usually shines.
I was at that game in Chicago and let's just say that I took Belushi's advice from Animal House after that one.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/23/2008, 12:32 PM
I was at that game in Chicago and let's just say that I took Belushi's advice from Animal House after that one.

Germans?

sooner94
10/23/2008, 12:34 PM
I was at the SDSt game. We were sitting in the middle of some SDSt fans, and one of them said to me, "You haven't won a national championship since Dukes of Hazard was on!" Then some guys started doing the General Lee horn over and over.

I actually thought that was funny. But things were pretty bad that year.

I thought the NW was worse though. I was at that game too. We never had a chance in that game after half time.

picasso
10/23/2008, 12:36 PM
I was at the SDSt game. We were sitting in the middle of some SDSt fans, and one of them said to me, "You haven't won a national championship since Dukes of Hazard was on!" Then some guys started doing the General Lee horn over and over.

I actually thought that was funny. But things were pretty bad that year.

I thought the NW was worse though. I was at that game too. We never had a chance in that game after half time.

that's funny because some NW fans tried that crap and I told 'em we'd win another one before they would.:D

Germans, mustard, and drinking.;)

Salt City Sooner
10/23/2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores96/96265/96265454.htm

Not a good day to be sure, but this wasn't what signified being at rock bottom to me, because as previously stated, SDSU was a good team back then. My rock bottom came one week later when a not good at all Tulsa team came into Norman & left with a win, having done so with their backup QB.

HoustonSooner23
10/23/2008, 12:58 PM

Toga?

85sooners
10/23/2008, 12:58 PM
:O

OUstud
10/23/2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah I always wondered about this one too. I was only in 1st grade at the time but this game has always stood out as a "wtf" type game. Like what were we doing playing at SDSU, how did we give up 51, etc.

Dan Thompson
10/23/2008, 01:18 PM
51 points! I am an Alumni of a Div 1-AA school that just beat SDSU at home earlier this year.

However, Cal Poly SLO is rank 3rd. It should be interesting to see how they do on their last game at Wisconsin.

bluesmagoo
10/23/2008, 02:20 PM
The clueless John Blake.

Boarder
10/23/2008, 02:34 PM
The SDSU game is where we really could see the giant pool of crap for the first time.

The Northwestern game is where we all fell in.

I remember watching the game at Coach's (or whatever it was called then), drinking Bass beer, being completely dumbfounded at the game/result, and going to Sugar's afterward. Yes, it was that bad.

Partial Qualifier
10/23/2008, 02:51 PM
The only thing I remember from that game (besides the fact we lost) is one play in particular: a basic pitch to Demond, going from right-to-left on the screen, he broke an arm tackle going off-tackle to the right and had nothing but daylight for about 80 yards to the endzone, and I realized how remarkably FAST DeMond Parker was.

I must've blocked out everything else.

Partial Qualifier
10/23/2008, 02:54 PM

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/Reviews/shin/scatman%20shines.jpg

Partial Qualifier
10/23/2008, 03:00 PM

Oh ****, it's all starting to come back now. Why'd you have to post that!? Az Hakim....

remember that football scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High? The one where Jefferson's all pissed off about his car and he's jacking the other team up and the announcer's all: "Jefferson! .... Jefferson! .... JEFFERSON! .... Jefferson!" ??

Replace 'jefferson' with 'az hakim' :(

MojoRisen
10/23/2008, 03:34 PM

Not a good day to be sure, but this wasn't what signified being at rock bottom to me, because as previously stated, SDSU was a good team back then. My rock bottom came one week later when a not good at all Tulsa team came into Norman & left with a win, having done so with their backup QB.

Yep my brother was a redshirt Freshman at TU for that game and my old man was still on the OU sideline - the OU players were shaking there heads and actually said has it really come too this... That was a low for OU loosing to a 3 win Tulsa team.

mobilesteve
10/23/2008, 03:38 PM
I was in Chicago as well, that was the low point of Blake.

tru2ou
10/23/2008, 06:07 PM
I was at the SDSU game and I remember the paper handing out signd before the game that said "Beat the Oakies". I couldnt help but laugh at the stupidity.

BTW, SDSU was not that bad back then. Faulk had just graduated and they had a solid team. I would say the NW game or the KU game in 97 was much worse than SDSU. I also went to the Cal game and it wasnt much better.

- tru

KingBarry
10/24/2008, 02:05 AM
My personal choice for low point came at the T A&M game in Norman. I can't remember the year and don't care to check it, but it was freezing, literally, sleeting, we were completely uncompetitive. We looked like a 2AA high school team out there.

Though the official numbers released by OU were much higher, attendance couldn't have been over 30,000.

That was a low point.

The NW game sucked, but it seemed like the team just needed to take a couple of steps to get back to the top 10, and maybe we would get better every week.

SDSU was part of a new era, we still had some hope.

I need to permaban myself from posting on, or even reading, any of these threads about the blake years.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/24/2008, 10:16 AM
My personal choice for low point came at the T A&M game in Norman. I can't remember the year and don't care to check it, but it was freezing, literally, sleeting, we were completely uncompetitive. We looked like a 2AA high school team out there.

Probably 1997 (a 7-51 loss), which was the last game of the 7-7-7-7. You have to remember though, those late-90s aTm teams were pretty darn good. I think this thread is more about losing to teams that a REAL OU squad would never see from the business end of a beatdown.

SeattleOUstudent
10/24/2008, 11:27 AM
This thread is Brando-bait

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/24/2008, 11:59 AM
This thread is Brando-bait

Agreed. Heeeeeeeeeeere 04, 04, 04.

jkjsooner
10/24/2008, 01:41 PM
I was at the Northwestern game. My goodness it was frustrating. We ran the ball all over them early on and every time we got in the red zone we turned the ball over. Nevertheless, it looked like we were still primed to dominate them and then it all fell apart.

The one thing I remembered was that the Northwestern fans were horribly abusive. I never understood where they got off being so cocky...

They were just a year removed from a Big 10 title but that team wasn't very good.

OUmillenium
10/24/2008, 01:50 PM
I remember Travian Smith in the NW game tackling somebody with his legs.