PDA

View Full Version : Iran suggesting OPEC to Cut Production

soonerhubs
10/23/2008, 07:49 AM
These people are evil. The entire world is in the middle of a financial crisis, and the one thing that might make things easier is cheap fuel. Instead they wish to come carpet bag the world with cuts in fuel supplies. :mad:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/23/AR2008102300464.html

Edit Note: I was wrong in being so angry about these cuts.

King Crimson
10/23/2008, 08:06 AM
you people make me laugh. i thought this was a capitalist society? when another interest wants to make some coin, they are evil.

which is it? nationalism or capitalism?

soonerhubs
10/23/2008, 08:10 AM
you people make me laugh. i thought this was a capitalist society? when another interest wants to make some coin, they are evil.

which is it? nationalism or capitalism?

You lumping me with "you people" just shows the ignorance of your stereotype all-wise King Crimson. :rolleyes:

King Crimson
10/23/2008, 08:18 AM
You lumping me with "you people" just shows the ignorance of your stereotype all-wise King Crimson. :rolleyes:

maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong....hubler.

but what i say is: when we get beat at the game called capitalism let's not cry, and call people "evil".

soonerhubs
10/23/2008, 08:24 AM
maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong....hubler.

but what i say is: when we get beat at the game called capitalism let's not cry,

I personally think this is one of many reasons why there should be some regulation. I'm not for a 100% free market because I've never seen other teams playing with the same rules we have here. Look at all the electronic piracy in other countries, and all the crap that gets sold to us like tainted Dog Food and Toothpaste.

On the flip side, if fuel prices go up, that just inevitably leads to people spending less, causing more economic down turn, meaning prices of fuel will not stay up.

It's just a cartel trying to squeeze cash out quickly while they can. In my opinion it's an extremely short sighted action on their part, and, yes, I think the major factor behind it is their hatred for the west.

yermom
10/23/2008, 08:29 AM
so it's Iran's or OPEC's fault that we are dependent on their oil?

this is why we never should have been set up like this in the first place

why should they be losing money to be nice to us?

not that i don't think they are all evil bastards...

soonerhubs
10/23/2008, 08:31 AM

Oh no, the dependence on foreign oil is our own fault, but I'm leaving that topic for one of those Left vs. Right threads.

yermom
10/23/2008, 08:36 AM
Iran's leadership is evil, but the only thing that has to do with oil, IMO is that it funds them to be more evil

SoonerProphet
10/23/2008, 08:37 AM
Exactly why does OPEC have to keep production up while keeping prices low? Do they owe something to the West, or is it stictly in their interests to see prices rise a bit to easer their own economic pain?

King Crimson
10/23/2008, 08:38 AM
Oh no, the dependence on foreign oil is our own fault, but I'm leaving that topic for one of those Left vs. Right threads.

it's not a left v. right thing. Clinton is to blame for everything but it's Reagan who slashes the DOE budget in the early 80's.

we are 20 years behind alternative energy research.

yermom
10/23/2008, 08:45 AM
i hope you didn't just blame something on St. Reagan

crawfish
10/23/2008, 08:48 AM
I think its all Gerald Ford's fault.

The guy never gets blamed for anything, and it's really time for that to change. :mad:

soonerhubs
10/23/2008, 09:14 AM
it's not a left v. right thing. Clinton is to blame for everything but it's Reagan who slashes the DOE budget in the early 80's.

we are 20 years behind alternative energy research.

i hope you didn't just blame something on St. Reagan

Sounds like a Left vs Right thing to me. :D

JohnnyMack
10/23/2008, 09:41 AM
Has anybody paid attention to the price of a barrel of oil lately? Why the **** wouldn't they cut production?

tommieharris91
10/23/2008, 10:44 AM
These people are evil. The entire world is in the middle of a financial crisis, and the one thing that might make things easier is cheap fuel. Instead they wish to come carpet bag the world with cuts in fuel supplies. :mad:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/23/AR2008102300464.html

Their biggest problem is that oil shipments are sitting in ports because no one is ordering available crude. Since the market is well supplied right now, and since they want to try to manipulate the price, they will say cut.

soonerboomer93
10/23/2008, 11:07 AM
do I really have to explain why high oil prices are good again?

the good side of low prices is that it does slow down the transfer of wealth from the US to our oil importers

however it also makes it more accessable world wide, which will make it easier to cut into our consumption dominance

Okla-homey
10/23/2008, 11:34 AM
I say we cut ourseleves loose from the Islamo-fascists by simply kicking the domestic auto industry in the buttocks and require them to sell more efficient cars. That and the flux capacitor that cranks out 9.3 gigawatts on kitchen garbage.

JohnnyMack
10/23/2008, 11:38 AM
I say we cut ourseleves loose from the Islamo-fascists by simply kicking the domestic auto industry in the buttocks and require them to sell more efficient cars. That and the flux capacitor that cranks out 9.3 gigawatts on kitchen garbage.

Good idea, but the oil companies have been lining the pockets of our politicians for too long for that to be feasible. At least in the next 10 years or so.

soonerboomer93
10/23/2008, 11:51 AM
actually

they just need to start moving toward cng

I hate to admit it, but boones is right in that regard

tommieharris91
10/23/2008, 01:04 PM
actually

they just need to start moving toward cng

I hate to admit it, but boones is right in that regard

Only if it's used as a medium-term bandage.

StoopTroup
10/23/2008, 01:14 PM
I filled up all my vehicles yesterday and all my gas cans...

I ran up to the store this morning and bought another five gallon can and filled it up too.

shaun4411
10/23/2008, 01:20 PM
i thought greed was against the major tenets of islam

tommieharris91
10/23/2008, 01:21 PM
i thought greed was against the major tenets of islam

As long as they kick 10% to the mosques...

tommieharris91
10/23/2008, 01:22 PM
I filled up all my vehicles yesterday and all my gas cans...

I ran up to the store this morning and bought another five gallon can and filled it up too.

Meh, I personally think you mis-timed the market.

shaun4411
10/23/2008, 01:55 PM
As long as they kick 10% to the mosques...

in that case, several hundred million should be going towards mosques. so we are effectively funding islam.

soonerhubs
10/24/2008, 12:07 PM
I'm going to do admit something. I was wrong in getting so angry at OPEC over their cut in oil output.

StoopTroup
10/24/2008, 12:17 PM
Meh, I personally think you mis-timed the market.

At least I didn't mess up as bad as Boone did.

tommieharris91
10/24/2008, 12:48 PM
Anyone find any place selling gas under $2/gal yet?

SoonerProphet
10/24/2008, 12:54 PM
OPEC cut production by 1.5 million billion.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=an0jepVxWzQU&refer=uk

soonerhubs
10/24/2008, 02:56 PM
I really didn't know bumping a thread to admit I was wrong would stir up this much debate.

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2008, 02:57 PM
I really didn't know bumping a thread to admit I was wrong would stir up this much debate.

Oh yeah?

Well, you WEREN'T wrong!

Poopy head.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/24/2008, 03:02 PM

You are correct. We should be doing as much as possible to stop fueling these places with Petro-dollars. To me, it is in the national interest to do something about this, not just cheap oil, but I think it is more of a strategic issue for us. We don't need to be giving Iran and other like minded countries dollars when they think we are the Great Satan or whatever...

SoonerProphet
10/24/2008, 03:04 PM
You are correct. We should be doing as much as possible to stop fueling these places with Petro-dollars. To me, it is in the national interest to do something about this, not just cheap oil, but I think it is more of a strategic issue for us. We don't need to be giving Iran and other like minded countries dollars when they think we are the Great Satan or whatever...

I'm sure the petro-rupee and petro-yuan would satisfy them just as well. They have the resources and nations are going to buy it whether we say so or not.

Vaevictis
10/24/2008, 03:08 PM

We are pedant. Resistance is futile. You will be browbeat into annoyance.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/24/2008, 03:14 PM
I'm sure the petro-rupee and petro-yuan would satisfy them just as well. They have the resources and nations are going to buy it whether we say so or not.

Absolutely, I am just saying it may be in our strategic interest to look at other venues or modalities for energy. I have always thought of using the others and drain them dry, but we would be parting with a large amount of national wealth and they will have it. Don't think we can afford that any more, or at least afford to give them our money to make unhappy with us. What they do with someone else's money we have no say. Just sayin'

SoonerProphet
10/24/2008, 03:17 PM
Absolutely, I am just saying it may be in our strategic interest to look at other venues or modalities for energy. I have always thought of using the others and drain them dry, but we would be parting with a large amount of national wealth and they will have it. Don't think we can afford that any more, or at least afford to give them our money to make unhappy with us. What they do with someone else's money we have no say. Just sayin'

Yep, would have been real fookin' smart not to have stuck are beaks in that nest in the first damn place.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/24/2008, 03:21 PM
Yep, would have been real fookin' smart not to have stuck are beaks in that nest in the first damn place.

I agree, but the Brits and thing like WWII came about and we've been there since... I would be nice if that area was still mostly sand and no one knew that area of the world existed... Damn Nazi's! Yeah!

shaun4411
10/24/2008, 03:33 PM
i expected to see a discussion about oil. fail.

Vaevictis
10/24/2008, 03:34 PM
i expected to see a discussion about oil. fail.

Threadjacking is a sport, and I'm at the top of my game.

tommieharris91
10/24/2008, 03:59 PM

Ahhh, but their problem is that, since the Olympics ended, they aren't getting any petro-rupiahs or petro-yuan. Thus, they cut to try to constrict supply and prop up the price, when that isn't the problem right now.

Froze and Vaevictis suck.

Kels
10/24/2008, 04:15 PM
It's hard to believe that just 5 years ago gas was ~ $1.35/gal.

The good ol days (http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?time=24)

Vaevictis
10/24/2008, 04:42 PM
Which would tend to support my point. Thanks!

Have you ever had one of those moments where you're so confused you wonder if someone slipped you something?

This is one of those moments.

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2008, 04:43 PM
Have you ever had one of those moments where you're so confused you wonder if someone slipped you something?

This is one of those moments.

WRONG THREAD, FART-KNOCKER!!!! :D

Vaevictis
10/24/2008, 04:44 PM
WRONG THREAD, FART-KNOCKER!!!! :D

I'm even more confused.

I wonder if this is what LSD feels like.

... and god damn it, now I have to thread jack all over again.

soonerboomer93
10/24/2008, 06:47 PM
Only if it's used as a medium-term bandage.

that's what it needs to be used for, while better renewable resources are developed

We also need to force the building of natural gas pipelines particularily in the northeast to cut down the use of fuel oil

The US has more then enough Natural Gas reserves for it's consumption. And if worse came to worse Canada has pretty big reserves too.

As far as OPEC, the Saudi's have much more control over the oil production then Iran. Iran and Venezuala are also slightly ****ed because of their heavy oil and the US is one of the few countries capable of refining it.