PDA

View Full Version : Do you pray?

Chuck Bao
10/23/2008, 02:14 AM
For eight years and without fail for every working day, I prayed. I prayed on my motorbike at one particular red light turning into my street where my apartment was.

I don’t know why that triggered something inside me to pray.

I prayed thanks for returning home safely. I prayed for the people I cared about and I prayed for the people I know needed help. I prayed for the people on a prayer list I get from my missionary cousin in Colombia. And, I felt good about it.

The problem is I no longer live there and I no longer ride my bike. And, I no longer pray.

I’m pretty bad at remembering to do things. I just stole ST’s sig and have pasted on my fridge Samuel L. Jackson saying: “TAKE YOUR MUTHA F@#K’IN MEDICINE MUTHA F@#KER. Even that hasn’t helped me to remember to take my medicine.

It's not working for taking the medicine and I'm not sure about Samuel helping me out on a prayer reminder.

Do you pray? What reminds you to pray?

royalfan5
10/23/2008, 02:15 AM
Yes, and life in general

Chuck Bao
10/23/2008, 02:46 AM
Oh, when I see beggars on the street, I pray, especially when I pass them and thinking Jesus is that you? I may go a long way and then finish my prayer and come back to put spare change in their cup. This is on the skytrain route to my office every morning, so I'm not totally prayerless.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/23/2008, 04:11 AM
I pray every time Sic'em starts a thread ;)

LoyalFan
10/23/2008, 05:39 AM
Yes. Often. I recommend it highly, especially if that closet jihadist gets elected.

LesNessman
10/23/2008, 07:03 AM
Absolutely, but not enough.

Certain people and things remind me. My fiance writes hers out sometimes and lets me read them. It's a neat thing.
We also spend an hour a week (Adoration; some call it Holy Hour) just to pray. It's good to set a time to focus on it.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/23/2008, 07:33 AM
every morning and throughout the day

sooner n houston
10/23/2008, 07:38 AM
every morning and throughout the day

And at bedtime too!

SoonerStormchaser
10/23/2008, 07:49 AM
Yes I do pray...a lot. And no, I will not discuss my religious beliefs here as Carolyn and I are both private about those.

TUSooner
10/23/2008, 08:12 AM
Yes. But not as much as I used to, and it's because I have become complacent and lazy, and perhaps even afraid to "open up" to the Infinite. Thanks for the reminder to stop being lazy and complacent and afraid.

SoonerJack
10/23/2008, 08:19 AM
This is a good thread, Chuck. Thanks for starting it. I used to pray right before going to sleep. As I've gotten older, as soon as my head hits the pi....zzzzzzz.

Don't get me wrong. I love being able to fall asleep so quickly, but doing so has not helped my communication status with the Lord.

JohnnyMack
10/23/2008, 09:18 AM
I have been blessed by a Kenyan Witch Hunter. That count?

SteelClip49
10/23/2008, 09:21 AM
I am Catholic.... my grandparents (dad's side) are Catholic and they go to church all the time and pray everyday. My dad is a stonch Catholic but doesn't pray and neither do I. I have my Rosary next to my bed at night but I never pray with it. I just don't care to pray. It does nothing for me. I think it's a waste of time, just like going to church Sunday after Sunday and Wednesday after Wednesday. I only attend services on Palm Sunday, Ash Wednesday, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and whatever else that has a special meaning. I don't pray but I do read books and the Bible and use those as a means to hope for the better in life.

SoonerInKCMO
10/23/2008, 09:22 AM
No. Why? No one is listening.

SteelClip49
10/23/2008, 09:24 AM
Good point KCMO.

Kels
10/23/2008, 09:27 AM
I've used prayer lists before, that helps. I also have accountability -- guys asking me every week how my walk with God is doing.

Intercessory prayer is work. Hard work. To really labor in prayer for people and issues over the long haul takes discipline. My conversational prayer life is a lot easier.

I pray every time I get on my motorcycle too.

Oldnslo
10/23/2008, 09:39 AM
all the time.

But it isn't the prayer. You can zip out grace before dinner in 4 seconds and not think about what you're saying.

It's taking a moment or several to connect. That's the deal. Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily happen as often.

But yes, I pray. Pray. We got to pray just to make it today!

http://whatsupnyc.com/blog/archives/MC-Hammer.jpeg

Hot Rod
10/23/2008, 10:11 AM
Yes and not as much as I should. Have the kids say their prayers at night and they take care of the prayers at the dinner table. Sometimes it's good to see their childlike-faith in work. It reminds you how blessed you truly are.

C&CDean
10/23/2008, 01:16 PM
Yes. Daily.

shaun4411
10/23/2008, 01:18 PM
i dont pray, and if i did, itd be in futility. if its god's will, and he's gonna do what he wants to do anyway, whats the point in praying? to be sure we really want something? doesnt the all-knowing god already know the deepness of our desires?

proud gonzo
10/23/2008, 01:23 PM
I went to a meditation seminar, and the lady said when you're in traffic, every time you see a red light or a stop sign or brake lights, make that your reminder.

StoopTroup
10/23/2008, 01:27 PM
No. Why? No one is listening.

That's kind of where Faith comes into the picture for me...

I prayed in front of a Slot Machine last night...

He didn't listen to me then either...

I got Home safely though...so he just gave me what I needed.

soonerbrat
10/23/2008, 02:14 PM
That's kind of where Faith comes into the picture for me...

I prayed in front of a Slot Machine last night...

He didn't listen to me then either...

I got Home safely though...so he just gave me what I needed.

He listened. He just said "no"

Edmond Sooner
10/23/2008, 02:16 PM
Yes. Not daily, nor near as much as I should, but yes.

One thing that has shifted in that regard in my life is when I had kids. Indeed, my prayer frequency increased exponentially when my two oldest became teenagers.