PDA

View Full Version : So is our Staff playing head-games with KSU or will Box start?

aurorasooner
10/22/2008, 11:54 PM
Just read the TW and they report that Austin Box will start MLB. Just wondering if we're continuing last weeks head-games or if he'll start? --and how good is Austin Box? I don't know much about him. Just wondered if he's a guy that can step-up and handle OL to stop the run and is he mobile enough to protect the underneath middle-zone? and does this specifically mean Balogan (sp-?)
"I don't know that we'll ever put him back at the Mike (middle linebacker)," Wright said. "We've been able to bring Austin Box and guys like that along, and they're going to be the guys you want in there."
10/22/2008 6:55 PM
Last Modified: 10/22/2008 8:37 PM

It appears Nic Harris' move to middle linebacker was temporary. Oklahoma safeties coach Bobby Jack Wright said after practice on Wednesday that Austin Box, a redshirt freshman from Enid, has progressed enough to move Harris back to safety.

"I don't know that we'll ever put him back at the Mike (middle linebacker)," Wright said. "We've been able to bring Austin Box and guys like that along, and they're going to be the guys you want in there."

Asked where Harris has practiced this week, Wright said, "We're working him almost totally at strong (safety)."

Harris played linebacker last week against Kansas after a season-ending injury to starter Ryan Reynolds in the Texas game on Oct. 11.http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20081022_298_Itap570764

sooner59
10/23/2008, 12:02 AM
Well, I was stunned to see Nic Harris play MLB anyway. I honestly believe that was a knee-jerk reaction to not having someone ready. They want Nic at safety. They probably assessed Nic at MLB and a backup at safety along with Nic at safety and a backup/noobie at MLB and thought that Box or whoever would be good enough compared to making Nic play there and suffer at safety. I haven't watched practice so obviously you know as much as me. We will just have to watch and see. Hopefully this is the right move.

misplacedsooner
10/23/2008, 12:11 AM
this week we will be okay either way we go. one thing is sure, at least now if box or balogun get hurt or are not doing the job we know who can if needed.

rainiersooner
10/23/2008, 01:20 AM
Too bad we didn't put Nick in at Mike against Texas...oh well, hindsight and all that....

Partial Qualifier
10/23/2008, 06:51 AM
Yeah, last night Kerri Murdock reported the same thing after practice. Guess it was just a one-game stop-gap measure. Which begs the question: "What were the other middle linebackers doing in practice up until two weeks ago?" Idunno, maybe Box almost had it, just needed another week? seems strange.

OU_Sooners75
10/23/2008, 09:25 AM
Yeah, last night Kerri Murdock reported the same thing after practice. Guess it was just a one-game stop-gap measure. Which begs the question: "What were the other middle linebackers doing in practice up until two weeks ago?" Idunno, maybe Box almost had it, just needed another week? seems strange.

Apparently they were all playing on the scout team and not practicing in the defensive drills. :texan:

What we did learn last weekend...Carter will become a good-great safety. And if we need a different look at the Mike, we know Nic Harris will be able to handle it.

Not a bad move last week at all.

And to aurorasooner....as long as Box has got the game speed and plays down...He will be something special, however, I think he would be a lot better on the outside. He definitely has the speed to play the game. He also has the agility and physical requirements. He played QB and LB at Enid. And they were an option style offense.

NormanPride
10/23/2008, 09:27 AM
It was a matchup thing. Since Kansas runs almost exclusively out of the spread with one back, we went with Nic, who is better at the pass but not as good in run support.

KSU, however, lines up with two backs in the backfield a lot, so we'll use Box or Balogun for those situations. In the four-wide, though, we'll move Nic back down to MLB.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/23/2008, 10:13 AM
Just and addition to NormanPride's post. He's spot on with the matchup issue. I do believe we haven't seen the last of Nic playing Mike. The coaching staff raved about how great he was in coverage and the job he did with Kerry Meir in the slot. Against the pass happy teams like Tech, I believe we'll run the same D scheme as we did with Kansas. With teams who like some of the power sets like K-State, we'll see Balogun and Box. I've heard Box's injury was much worse than previously though so we'll see if that is true.

TexasEx4OU
10/23/2008, 11:17 AM
Too bad we didn't put Nick in at Mike against Texas...oh well, hindsight and all that....

Not sure it would have made a difference. Based on what I saw in the KU game, it took Harris most of the first half and into the second to "get it". Roughly the same period of time he'd have been in the Texas game at Mike.

humblesooner
10/23/2008, 11:27 AM
I commented in someone's post earlier that we could see Nic back at DB for the next three games (KSU, NEB, A&M) just because of the matchups. Then see him back as the MIKE for TCEH and OSU.

Probably we end up running a Nickel and Dime package for the TT and OSU games while running a standard 4-3 in the next three games.

BoulderSooner79
10/23/2008, 12:21 PM

I agree it probably would not have helped. It was clear that Nick was having assignment problems against KU and that was after a week of practice. My surprise is that we didn't have some 4-2-5 package to use that we had practiced. Oh well.

Was Box always at MLB? I thought he was list at OLB.
What happened to Brandon Crow? Was he just thrown into the fire and then discarded completely when it didn't work out in 1 game ?

StoopTroup
10/23/2008, 12:37 PM
Bob and The King are just messing with the Prince.

yOU'll see how it shakes out Saturday morning. :D

Don't get your panties in a wad. ;)

BermudaSooner
10/23/2008, 01:53 PM
I hadn't thought about it until yesterday, but man it would have been nice if Lofton stuck around for this year.

stoopified
10/23/2008, 07:26 PM
I hadn't thought about it until yesterday, but man it would have been nice if Lofton stuck around for this year.True.I think Curtis leaving early cost him some money AND had anegative impact on OUr run at #8.Not saying Curtis cost us anything but I do strongly believe we would have been better on D with him this year.

CK Sooner
10/23/2008, 07:34 PM
lm-0f6Sl5bU

yermom
10/23/2008, 07:38 PM
lm-0f6Sl5bU

we are going to start that guy?

he didn't tackle anyone!

CK Sooner
10/23/2008, 07:41 PM
we are going to start that guy?

he didn't tackle anyone!

:D

tulsaoilerfan
10/23/2008, 10:02 PM
Just and addition to NormanPride's post. He's spot on with the matchup issue. I do believe we haven't seen the last of Nic playing Mike. The coaching staff raved about how great he was in coverage and the job he did with Kerry Meir in the slot. Against the pass happy teams like Tech, I believe we'll run the same D scheme as we did with Kansas. With teams who like some of the power sets like K-State, we'll see Balogun and Box. I've heard Box's injury was much worse than previously though so we'll see if that is true.

I don't think we have seen the last of Harris in the middle either; they would be a fool not to put him there against Taco Tech and maybe even against Boone Pickens

tulsaoilerfan
10/23/2008, 10:03 PM
True.I think Curtis leaving early cost him some money AND had anegative impact on OUr run at #8.Not saying Curtis cost us anything but I do strongly believe we would have been better on D with him this year.

Well considering Curtis is a starter with the Falcons, i would say he made the right move

BoulderSooner79
10/23/2008, 10:14 PM
It might appear that the planning was poor at MLB given how thin we are, but look at what the coaches had lined up. Mike Reed was *supposed* to be better than Lofton and was thought to be starting both this year and last. That would have put Lofton at #2 on the depth chart both years with the junior Reynolds behind them. MLB could have been our best and deepest position on defense. The best laid plans of mice and coaches...

Breadburner
10/23/2008, 10:14 PM
Do you really think K St. gives a **** who we start at MLB.....If they do their program is in deep Kaka....

BoulderSooner79
10/23/2008, 10:42 PM
Do you really think K St. gives a **** who we start at MLB.....If they do their program is in deep Kaka....

No, I don't think they care. Yes, I think their program is ....

Crucifax Autumn
10/24/2008, 12:49 AM
If we do put Box in I'd love to see him smag some INTs based on that vid!

KingBarry
10/24/2008, 12:51 AM

Yes, I really think they do care who we start, at every position. Being professional coaches and all, and trying to win the game and all, that tends to be pretty important to them.

Nonetheless, their program is in deep kaka.

Crucifax Autumn
10/24/2008, 01:23 AM
I say we treat this as revenge for that one game a few years back that preceeeded that othar one we don't like