PDA

View Full Version : Here is your Defensive answer...sorta

Collier11
10/22/2008, 11:10 PM
Georgia #12 in Total D 4.58yds per play
OU # 34 in Total D 4.59yds per play

This tells me two things

1) We are giving up too many big plays, teams are getting the majority of their yds on about 5-10%(estimate) of all the plays against our D

2) Our D is on the field too much cus of the new fast paced offense

This tells me that our D is probably wearing out some (probably true) which is causing them to have more mental mistakes and they are a little inexperienced, ive seen Jackson just miss a big play several times on D that turned into a big play for the other team

Our D is close to being very good, the second half of the KU game and the parts of the ut game with RR tell me that we may be close to being a really good D, of course it could also mean that we are going to be terribly inconsistent all yr

Soonerus
10/22/2008, 11:14 PM
D is good...we will all see by the end of the year...

OU-HSV
10/22/2008, 11:26 PM
........inexperienced, ive seen Jackson just miss a big play several times on D that turned into a big play for the other team....

Interesting take you have on Brian Jackson. I've seen that dude hussle non stop, he's made big plays all year IMO. I will say he had a few busts in the KU game I think though. But I don't count the play where he lost his footing, that was fluke and just sucked that it happened.
However, to me in the biggest game to this point, the texass game, he kept standing out with a solid performance (aside from a couple of plays). Many people sitting around me noticed that as well.
Think of all the games this year in which Jackson has been running stride for stride with the WR and has broken up the deep ball. That kid can play. He's going to go out as a Sooner great CB

Collier11
10/22/2008, 11:28 PM
Interesting take you have on Brian Jackson. I've seen that dude hussle non stop, he's made big plays all year IMO. He had a few busts in the KU game I think though. However, to me in the texass game, he kept standing out with a solid performance (aside from a couple of plays). Many people sitting around me noticed that as well.
Think of all the games this year in which Jackson has been running stride for stride with the WR and has broken up the deep ball. That kid can play. He's going to go out as a Sooner great CB

I agree, what I was saying is that he is a playmaker but with that he takes chances sometimes and just misses a huge play which he did about 3 times against KU. He will start making those "Big" plays the more reps he gets

Soonerus
10/22/2008, 11:28 PM
Jackson is a great corner...

OU-HSV
10/22/2008, 11:31 PM
I agree, what I was saying is that he is a playmaker but with that he takes chances sometimes and just misses a huge play which he did about 3 times against KU. He will start making those "Big" plays the more reps he gets

I agree with that, I see what you're saying.
But I think he's a stud, and quite possibly our best/most consistent DB, especially if they keep Nic Harris playing at LB.

Lott's Bandana
10/22/2008, 11:51 PM
Where is BOX?

Jus wondrin'.

Collier11
10/22/2008, 11:54 PM
Where is BOX?

Jus wondrin'.

Just heresay but I have been hearing that his injury was worse than thought and they might seek a redshirt unless they just HAVE to have him play

adoniijahsooner
10/23/2008, 07:11 AM
Interesting take you have on Brian Jackson. I've seen that dude hussle non stop, he's made big plays all year IMO. I will say he had a few busts in the KU game I think though. But I don't count the play where he lost his footing, that was fluke and just sucked that it happened.
However, to me in the biggest game to this point, the texass game, he kept standing out with a solid performance (aside from a couple of plays). Many people sitting around me noticed that as well.

he's a junior, i hope he doesnt bail

BornandBred
10/23/2008, 08:14 AM

I think the coaches see that, and that's why we're seeing our "fast paced offense" come up to the line, read the D, take their time, etc. I think it's funny that you have one group of people saying they have a problem with how fast the O is, and the effect it has on the D (count me as one of them) and another group that this the hurry up we run isn't fast enough anymore. I like the way our O and D seem to be working together now. I think when Nic has more experience and confidence we'll see the D gel and by the time TTech rolls around, they'll be well prepared.

85sooners
10/23/2008, 08:21 AM
Jackson is a great corner...:texan:

boomermagic
10/23/2008, 08:38 AM
Has anyone taken the time to look at other teams defenses that run the hurry up offense ? Just wondering how well their defenses are doing compared to ours.

I tend to agree with the original poster on this subject.. I like the offense we run and don't think we should change it but I think maybe it does hurt us defensively at times because our D players are back on the field so quickly.. I think when we get more experience it will help a bunch.

Mudskipper
10/23/2008, 08:42 AM

This tells me two things

1) We are giving up too many big plays, teams are getting the majority of their yds on about 5-10%(estimate) of all the plays against our D

It also tells me that we need to stop looking at rankings and look at the actual numbers..... 0.01 yds per play difference between #12 total D and #34 total D doesn't seem as big of a difference than the rankings would suggest.......

Crimsontothecore
10/23/2008, 09:21 AM
I believe OU leads the conference in total D

OUMallen
10/23/2008, 09:40 AM
Jackson = stud.

Okie35
10/23/2008, 10:16 AM
Jackson is a great corner...

true the only real mistake hes made was when he fell and let briscoe run free... in the texas game he was on a limb by himself w/ no zone coverage ... it was all man to man and he covered the receivers well the problem was ppl like cosby were making diving catches... plus you cant do too much at corner as far as receivers they can get away w/ slight push offs

St. Louis Sooner
10/23/2008, 11:22 AM
it's interesting how the shortened clock and the no huddle offense have changed OU's game; it's a profound change; forgive me if i sound a little n00bish .... :O

in fact, (and i'm eating crow here) OU's D should probably not be judged in the same light / with the same yardstick / etc., as our successful Ds from the past; that yards per play stat (saw it on si.com yesterday too) is soo revealing about the state of our D; we've changed the nature of the game by using the no huddle and not letting the shortened clock force us to gripe ... like that HC from gatorland; going to the no huddle is a brilliant coaching move, and the need for OU to have an athletic and fast defense is greater than ever now;

Johnny Utah
10/23/2008, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the interesting stats, which I've taken the liberty to expand upon. That Total D ranking is based on avg yds per game, which I question the true relevance of, but that's the NCAA's measure. Georgia has given up 269.71 yds per game and OU has given up 315.71 yds per game. The closeness of the yds per play stat is due to Georgia having 412 plays run against it vs OU having 481 plays run against it. Georgia has allowed 16 TDs and OU has allowed 18 TDs, and both have win-loss records of 6-1.

In Scoring D, which is based on avg points per game, Georgia is #27 having given up 17.7 (124 total pts), and OU is #42 having given up 20.7 (145 total pts). This ranking "gap" is narrower than that for the Total D ranking.

I lost track of the point I was going to make (since I had to get on lengthy phone call at work :O) and couldn't multitask too effectively . However I think this shows that OU's defensive stats are somewhat reflective of it being on the field a little more, and that it's not as "bad as perceived".

TMcGee86
10/23/2008, 11:47 AM
Another factor could be the poor play of special teams, in that you give up the same amount of yards but it results in points because the team started so close to your endzone.

Collier11
10/23/2008, 11:49 AM
OU special teams has given up or directly led to probably 7ppg

Johnny Utah
10/23/2008, 12:04 PM

Do you all know if those return yds are in the total yds given up by the defense?

cjames317
10/23/2008, 05:33 PM

Sounds like a pre-injury Brandon Everage!

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 05:45 PM

Havnt 2 TDs been on run backs ?

CK Sooner
10/23/2008, 05:53 PM
Havnt 2 TDs been on run backs ?

Yes, Vet.

You are so smart and intelligent.

I am surprised your not a Mod yet.

You are the best!

:D

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 06:09 PM
Yes, Vet.

You are so smart and intelligent.

I am surprised your not a Mod yet.

You are the best!

Dont ever want to be a Mod . And this aint the Kinda suckin I was talkin about .:D

CK Sooner
10/23/2008, 06:11 PM
Dont ever want to be a Mod . And this aint the Kinda suckin I was talkin about .:D

Why?!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/DylanGleeson/hahahayourgay.jpg

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 06:18 PM
Why?!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/DylanGleeson/hahahayourgay.jpg

Why what ?

CK Sooner
10/23/2008, 06:22 PM
Why what ?

Why do you not want to be a mod?

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 06:32 PM
Why do you not want to be a mod?

Cause then Id have to Get on My friends when They mess up .
Id rather neg em ;)

CK Sooner
10/23/2008, 06:40 PM
Cause then Id have to Get on My friends when They mess up .
Id rather neg em ;)

If you ever negged me, I would turn you red.

;)

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 06:49 PM
If you ever negged me, I would turn you red.

;)

Wanta see ? :eek:

CK Sooner
10/23/2008, 06:50 PM
Wanta see ? :eek:

I don't wanna turn you red man.

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 06:53 PM
I don't wanna turn you red man.

Ill give ya a 10 minute head start
time starts NOW . go

CK Sooner
10/23/2008, 06:55 PM
Ill give ya a 10 minute head start
time starts NOW . go

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/JouninGarrett/Noob.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Collier11
10/23/2008, 07:03 PM
Im with Vet here, you are out of luck

oumartin
10/23/2008, 07:05 PM
Here is my take, had they come up to the line and covered the receivers off the LOS like they did a lot last week that game would have had a different outcome!

You watch. A defense that can man up on Texas in tight coverage will give them more fits than that freakin' zone OU runs

CK Sooner
10/23/2008, 07:08 PM
Im with Vet here, you are out of luck

:rolleyes:

Sooner1979
10/23/2008, 07:11 PM
Lets also not forget that the SEC is going to have skewed defensive stats, because they do not play the caliber offenses we do week in and week out...Their passing D's are typically ranked in the Top of the country because nobody in the SEC faces teams like Tech, Missouri, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and now O-State on Offense...Even our 2nd & 3rd caliber teams like K-State, aTm and Baylor have more spread offenses than they do in the SEC...

So comparing the Big XII's defensive stats to the SEC's defensive stats is like comparing apples and oranges...There is no way to really compare the two until they play one another...

The SEC typically has their offense geared towards the run and likewise, their defenses' are geared toward the run...So this means that you will not see gawdy passing yards against the SEC, and that does not mean that they technically have good passing D's, but more likely the result of the lack of passing against their defenses...

OU-HSV
10/23/2008, 07:38 PM
Do you all know if those return yds are in the total yds given up by the defense?

Nah, I am 99.9% certain that isn't how it works.
And a few weeks ago, our kick coverage was ranked 109th in the nation (out of the 119 teams). Our defense wouldn't even be ranked near where it is is the special teams yards allowed counted against the defensive stats I wouldn't think.

Johnny Utah
10/23/2008, 08:23 PM
Nah, I am 99.9% certain that isn't how it works.
And a few weeks ago, our kick coverage was ranked 109th in the nation (out of the 119 teams). Our defense wouldn't even be ranked near where it is is the special teams yards allowed counted against the defensive stats I wouldn't think.

Thx ... kick coverage now ranked 110th in the nation (out of the 119 teams) through 7 games.

OU-HSV
10/23/2008, 08:47 PM
Thx ... kick coverage now ranked 110th in the nation (out of the 119 teams) through 7 games.

Yep, that hurts :(

Johnny Utah
10/23/2008, 09:03 PM
Yep, that hurts :(

Kinda sux huh?

PalmBeachSooner
10/23/2008, 09:08 PM
It also tells me that we need to stop looking at rankings and look at the actual numbers..... 0.01 yds per play difference between #12 total D and #34 total D doesn't seem as big of a difference than the rankings would suggest.......

That doesn't mean crap! What matter is the points allowed. We ain't doing so good in that category.

PLaw
10/23/2008, 11:11 PM

This tells me two things

This tells me that our D is probably wearing out some (probably true) which is causing them to have more mental mistakes and they are a little inexperienced, ive seen Jackson just miss a big play several times on D that turned into a big play for the other team

Our D is close to being very good, the second half of the KU game and the parts of the ut game with RR tell me that we may be close to being a really good D, of course it could also mean that we are going to be terribly inconsistent all yr

Collier - I totally agreed until I peeled the next skin of the onion and found that against texass, the whorns ran 70 plays versus 67 plays by OU despite a wide disparity in TOP.

So, does TOP with cleats on the turf count more than actual snaps played? It's above my pay grade to answer that one.

Generally, I've been as critical of the defense as anybody, but if Box can step in and quickly get up to speed we will be fine.

BOOMER

Crucifax Autumn
10/24/2008, 12:36 AM
I think it's funny that you have one group of people saying they have a problem with how fast the O is, and the effect it has on the D (count me as one of them) and another group that this the hurry up we run isn't fast enough anymore.

I think the key here is the offense learning to totally vary the speed they get plays off. When the opposing offense just had a long drive they should take their time for several plays and lull the defense while ours rest a bit. Then blast off a few quick ones while the opposing D is settled in to a slower pace. Obviously on 3 and outs from the opposition we oughtta just fly through plays like a crackhead going through brillo pads.

Collier11
10/24/2008, 09:01 AM
Collier - I totally agreed until I peeled the next skin of the onion and found that against texass, the whorns ran 70 plays versus 67 plays by OU despite a wide disparity in TOP.

So, does TOP with cleats on the turf count more than actual snaps played? It's above my pay grade to answer that one.

Generally, I've been as critical of the defense as anybody, but if Box can step in and quickly get up to speed we will be fine.

BOOMER

Look at the ut game though, two big KO returns including one for a TD and one big run that we missed bout 5 tackles on...Other than that, we did a pretty good job

BornandBred
10/24/2008, 09:17 AM
I think the key here is the offense learning to totally vary the speed they get plays off. When the opposing offense just had a long drive they should take their time for several plays and lull the defense while ours rest a bit. Then blast off a few quick ones while the opposing D is settled in to a slower pace. Obviously on 3 and outs from the opposition we oughtta just fly through plays like a crackhead going through brillo pads.

I agree totally, vary the speed with which we snap the ball on the same drive. This will keep the D off balance and allow the chance we catch them either out of position or offsides.

PLaw
10/24/2008, 04:16 PM
Look at the ut game though, two big KO returns including one for a TD and one big run that we missed bout 5 tackles on...Other than that, we did a pretty good job

Good point. The problem is when there are 65+ yard drives that take 6-8 minutes and the D can't get off of the field. I think texass had 4. Then, you get the image that the D is gassed.

BOOMER

KingBarry
10/25/2008, 03:35 AM

Yeah, and that's eventually going to cost a game.

Oh, wait......

85sooners
10/25/2008, 11:56 PM
:eek:
Yeah, and that's eventually going to cost a game.

Oh, wait......

Collier11
10/25/2008, 11:58 PM
OUR special teams used to be a strength of this team, WTF!

Apparently Stevens had to punt twice tonight because Knall was so bad? On another note, Mooreland has gotten much better on his KO's