PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Says he'll be at OU next year

Crimson Kid
10/22/2008, 07:21 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ap&type=lgn s

Draft banter doesn’t enter Bradford’s mind
By JEFF LATZKE, AP Sports Writer

NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—At least one NFL draft projection has the top overall pick next year being Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. There’s only one problem with that.

“I don’t think that makes a lot of sense,” Bradford said, “considering I’m going to be in school next year.”

Bradford, who stacks up as Oklahoma’s top NFL quarterback prospect, will be eligible for the draft for the first time at the end of this season. He’s only a sophomore in eligibility, but he redshirted his first season on campus, giving him the required three years since high school.

He stands 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and is one of the nation’s most accurate and prolific passers. He’s coming off a school-record 468 yards passing last week against Kansas and ranks second in the nation in passing efficiency (192.2). In seven games, he has thrown for 2,520 yards and 26 touchdowns with only five interceptions.

It all adds up to an impressive resume, and one that Bradford couldn’t be less concerned about—as long as the wins keep coming.

“That’s a long way down the road. That’s something I haven’t even thought of, and there’s really no need to even think about that right now,” Bradford said.

Quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel, the 2000 Heisman Trophy runner-up, thinks that’s the healthy approach for Bradford with five more regular season games, a bowl and potentially a Big 12 Conference championship game to be played before it becomes an issue.

“I don’t talk to Sam a lot about some of those things just because he’s a kid, to be honest, that he doesn’t read, listen and watch a whole lot,” Heupel said. “Those are things I talk to him all the time about during the beginning of the season and during the offseason—‘You know who and what you are as a player, don’t let anything like that impact you.’

“Hopefully, his preparation and everything, nothing’s changed and I think he’ll stay true to that throughout the entire season.”

Heupel said he would question the validity of some draft projections at this point, even if Bradford is playing at a high level.

“Obviously you think about it when the time comes, but at this point it’s something that I haven’t put any thought into, so I really don’t have any thoughts on that right now,” Bradford said. “If the time comes where I do need to sit and think about it, then I will. As of right now, it’s probably the last thing on my mind.”

BermudaSooner
10/22/2008, 07:56 AM
“I don’t think that makes a lot of sense,” Bradford said, “considering I’m going to be in school next year.”

I love that quote. If he did go, I assume Landry Jones would be the favorite for the starter next year?

Crimson Kid
10/22/2008, 08:00 AM
I say jones would be our only option, who else would even be close to being ready, also jones is heuples recruit.

BornandBred
10/22/2008, 08:07 AM
I love Hoople. He is such a great roll model for young guys like Bradford.

boomersooner28
10/22/2008, 08:11 AM
What SB says and what SB does are two totally different things. He isn't thinking about it too much right now, but when the season ends there will A LOT of thinking about it. If he is projected in the top 5, that kind of money would be hard to turn down. He would probably bolt and I don't blame him a bit.

85sooners
10/22/2008, 08:42 AM
:(

Aries
10/22/2008, 08:49 AM
What SB says and what SB does are two totally different things. He isn't thinking about it too much right now, but when the season ends there will A LOT of thinking about it. If he is projected in the top 5, that kind of money would be hard to turn down. He would probably bolt and I don't blame him a bit.

Heh. All kinds of speculation about what he would do when he had not said a word on the subject. Now that he has publicly stated his plans... the speculation goes on unabated. I suppose this much is true, no telling what the future will bring. Just seems like now that he has made an annoucement, there would be even less reason to worry about it unless/until something changes.

Heupel said he would question the validity of some draft projections at this point, even if Bradford is playing at a high level.

Amen to that, brutha... this "projection" will change about seven times before the end of the season.

The Maestro
10/22/2008, 10:17 AM
Barry Sanders, Vince Young...they all said they were coming back.

With such a lousy QB class, if Sam is thought to be ready and his stock is that high, he should go.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco started as rookies. You think SB can't play as well as Flacco???? I have trouble believing he can't top that guy's NFL abilities.

BillyBall
10/22/2008, 10:33 AM

I really want him to come back and think he would benefit from another year; however, the Matt Leinart example alone shows how much money a kid can leave on the table if he doesnt take advantage of the situation.

Statalyzer
10/22/2008, 10:54 AM
What SB says and what SB does are two totally different things. He isn't thinking about it too much right now, but when the season ends there will A LOT of thinking about it.

Yeah - pretty much all players just say they are staying if the season is still happening, because they don't know yet but would rather not be a distraction or fuel rumors by saying "I don't know" Doesn't mean he's leaving - in fact if I had to wager, I'd bet on him staying.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/22/2008, 11:10 AM
Once he sees/hears how much money he is worth I'm pretty sure he'll jet. IMO I don't think its a bad idea. I'd loooove to see a Sooner QB in the league.

The Maestro
10/22/2008, 11:13 AM
The thought of shattering all the records might make it appealing to come back. Besides, if he leaves after this year and OU doesn't at least play for the national title it is going to suck that neither Sam or AD won a national title. Arguably our best RB and QB ever...

SoonerLB
10/22/2008, 11:26 AM
Some people don't base their lives totally on greed, and thankfully, Sam seems to be one of those people. He'll be back next year, and hopefully the year after that.

Flagstaffsooner
10/22/2008, 11:30 AM
Some people don't base their lives totally on greed, and thankfully, Sam seems to be one of those people. He'll be back next year, and hopefully the year after that.I agree. He is smart enough to want his education and not greedy.

My Opinion Matters
10/22/2008, 11:32 AM
I'll be shocked if Sam isn't back at OU next year. There's not much precedent for qb's leaving after their Sophomore year, and Sam is OU through and through.

Flagstaffsooner
10/22/2008, 11:32 AM
Once he sees/hears how much money he is worth I'm pretty sure he'll jet. IMO I don't think its a bad idea. I'd loooove to see a Sooner QB in the league.The league? You mean that bunch of drug abusing, ill behaved jackasses that is known as the nfl?

Mad Dog Madsen
10/22/2008, 11:39 AM
We'll I didn't mean he would be greedy or anything I'm just saying someone who's never had that much money and then see it in front of them it's kinda hard to turn it down. I left Oklahoma for Minnesota but it wasn't for millions of dollars. But hey, everybody has heard the story of "I'm coming back next year" and then they jet. Lofton even said he wouldn't leave if he wasn't a top 10-15 pick and where is he now? And he went in the second round. But he has a looong time to declare for the draft. I think he's ready and I think he'll go. But maybe he's one of those kids who just love being in college. I'd be happy with that too.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/22/2008, 11:40 AM
The league? You mean that bunch of drug abusing, ill behaved jackasses that is known as the nfl?

No I meant the Canadian one... :rolleyes:

hink4769
10/22/2008, 11:42 AM
Some people don't base their lives totally on greed, and thankfully, Sam seems to be one of those people. He'll be back next year, and hopefully the year after that.

It wouldn't be greedy for him to jump to the NFL, he would just be cashing in on the money he's earned.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/22/2008, 11:44 AM
It wouldn't be greedy for him to jump to the NFL, he would just be cashing in on the money he's earned.

Exactly what I meant. And then I get negged for voicing my opinion. :(

JLEW1818
10/22/2008, 11:52 AM
I'll be shocked if he aint here also. But what is he suppose to say??? Ya I'm going to see what my draft status is blah blah. He is just being politically correct. He gives it more thought at seasons end.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2008, 11:54 AM
Lofton wasn't leaving unless he was gonna be a top 15 pick..thats according to him this time last year

JLEW1818
10/22/2008, 11:56 AM
Exactly and Sam is not the type of Kid to say at this point in season that ya I'm thinking about the draft? Honestly, what did ya'll expect him to say?

StoopTroup
10/22/2008, 12:34 PM
After reading that...I'm gonna ring my own bell on this one...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2452791&postcount=29

Nobody can really know exactly what is going on in Sam's head but I have to agree with OU Sooners 75 - post 21.

Sam needs to make his own plays. As long as Josh is there to teach him something...he'll stay. Josh is a perfect example for Sam. Josh played until he was out of eligibility and was drafted. He got hurt. It was over.

Yeah...you can go on to the Pros...

You can also stay and load the OU Record Books with Stats and go down as The Greatest QB in School History.

Growing up in Oklahoma...I believe that means something to many of us...

Does it mean something to Sam?

Time will tell....I'm betting it does.

Aries
10/22/2008, 12:43 PM
Lofton is not a good example. He left because he *thought* he had a shot at being a top 15 pick. Obviously, you can not possibly know where you're going to eventually be picked before you decide to declare. He probably got some bad advice.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/22/2008, 12:46 PM
If you guys only knew Sam. He honestly isn't the type of guy to say something on not do it.

Scott D
10/22/2008, 02:41 PM

With such a lousy QB class, if Sam is thought to be ready and his stock is that high, he should go.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco started as rookies. You think SB can't play as well as Flacco???? I have trouble believing he can't top that guy's NFL abilities.

Hell, I could win a starting job over Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller. They both peaked in high school ;)

to be honest Ryan stayed for 5 years, and so did Flacco.

boomermagic
10/22/2008, 03:16 PM

Agreed..

BASSooner
10/22/2008, 04:07 PM
I don't think Bradford goes. It just isn't him. He's very selfless young man and VERY smart. He knows he has unfinished business here; a championship, heisman, and a degree.

Bruiser53
10/22/2008, 05:42 PM
Just by observing Sam's character, I would say that there is more to this decision than must money and how high he goes in the draft. I'm pretty sure Sam is at OU to get a degree. I would be shocked if he jumps. It is refreshing to know we have a qb like that.

hink4769
10/22/2008, 06:25 PM
Jumping to the pros doesn't make you a bad person, or mean you have bad character. I'm sick and tired of people acting so self-righteous on here acting like people who leave early are turning their back on OU football or are somehow betraying the program, and people who stay are these saints of the program. You should want the players to do what's best for themselves, not the program, if that means jumping to the pros, you should support them.

stoopified
10/22/2008, 07:08 PM
Lofton is not a good example. He left because he *thought* he had a shot at being a top 15 pick. Obviously, you can not possibly know where you're going to eventually be picked before you decide to declare. He probably got some bad advice.Correction-Lofton left knowing exactly where he was rated,which is exactly where he was picked.He and Smith both were told coming back would improve their stock with a good season.They borth left anyway apparently willing to trade instant gratification for what would likely be bigger money a year later.Bob had the Lofton and Smith informed of their status BEFORE they declared.Sam is not a me-first type player and is not about the money.If he doesn't stay FOUR years it will only be because he ALREADY has his degree.

Curly Bill
10/22/2008, 08:12 PM
Jumping to the pros doesn't make you a bad person, or mean you have bad character. I'm sick and tired of people acting so self-righteous on here acting like people who leave early are turning their back on OU football or are somehow betraying the program, and people who stay are these saints of the program. You should want the players to do what's best for themselves, not the program, if that means jumping to the pros, you should support them.

I don't know if it's as much self-righteous as it is self-serving. I'm convinced a lot of posters say OUr guys are going to stay because we want them to do that. We pretend like we have some kind of special insight into the player being talked about, that they're different then all those other players, etc, etc...

If Sam, or anyone else, would turn down a top 5 draft slot to stay in school then they probably really do need more education. And...the whole get a degree thing, what degree is anyone going to get that is going to make them the millions that the NFL will pay them?

sooneron
10/22/2008, 08:47 PM
I get the feeling that Sam will be back next year. Unless, we somehow make it to the title game and Bob et al finally remember how to win in January.

lloyd45
10/22/2008, 09:01 PM

I love that quote. If he did go, I assume Landry Jones would be the favorite for the starter next year?

That is a badass quote

josh09
10/22/2008, 09:03 PM
I love Sammys reply haha thats great. I hope hes rewarded by doing this, putting school first. He definitely deserves to be a first round pick.

hink4769
10/22/2008, 09:13 PM
I don't know if it's as much self-righteous as it is self-serving. I'm convinced a lot of posters say OUr guys are going to stay because we want them to do that. We pretend like we have some kind of special insight into the player being talked about, that they're different then all those other players, etc, etc...

I used self-righteous because these people act like if they were in the same position as the players that they wouldn't even dream of leaving OU to goto the pros, but you're point is well taken too. I think it goes back to the function of a university itself. The university and football team should help the players develop both as players and men. I think some fans have the perception that the players owe something to the school because the school gives them the privilege of wearing the OU uniform, when in fact I think it should be the other way around in my opinion. I noticed this especially when the conspiracy theory was going around that M. Kelly pulled himself out of the WVU game because he didn't want to hurt his draft status by injuring himself further and this made a number of fans angry. When Sam (or any other player) develops to the point that he feels he's ready to move on, the school should let him go, wish him well, and move on itself. OU football will survive the loss of Sam Bradford.
To all those who play the "players should stay to get a degree" card, would you stay in school if some company offered you a multi-year contract worth tens of millions of dollars (and a > $5 million signing bonus) to leave school and work for them? Would you think twice about turning it down because you wanted to finish your degree?

Curly Bill
10/22/2008, 09:17 PM
I used self-righteous because these people act like if they were in the same position as the players that they wouldn't even dream of leaving OU to goto the pros, but you're point is well taken too. I think it goes back to the function of a university itself. The university and football team should help the players develop both as players and men. I think some fans have the perception that the players owe something to the school because the school gives them the privilege of wearing the OU uniform, when in fact I think it should be the other way around in my opinion. I noticed this especially when the conspiracy theory was going around that M. Kelly pulled himself out of the WVU game because he didn't want to hurt his draft status by injuring himself further and this made a number of fans angry. When Sam (or any other player) develops to the point that he feels he's ready to move on, the school should let him go, wish him well, and move on itself. OU football will survive the loss of Sam Bradford.
To all those who play the "players should stay to get a degree" card, would you stay in school if some company offered you a multi-year contract worth tens of millions of dollars (and a > $5 million signing bonus) to leave school and work for them? Would you think twice about turning it down because you wanted to finish your degree?

I'm with ya.

bluedogok
10/22/2008, 09:48 PM
Bradford, who stacks up as Oklahoma’s top NFL quarterback prospect...
From that article, it's nice to see that we have NFL QB prospects "stacked" up like that......

AzianSooner
10/22/2008, 09:49 PM
He seems to love bringing an NC to OU than earning million.

JLEW1818
10/22/2008, 09:59 PM
Who is a better NFL Quarterback in the league right now?

misplacedsooner
10/22/2008, 10:45 PM
there is no degree worth what sam would make as a top 5. with that kind of money sam can have all the degrees he wants, he could go to school the rest of his life if he chose to. im sure sam is level headed and will sit down AFTER the season is over with his parents, bob and josh and they will spend lots of time discussing the pros and cons. if bob thinks he is ready im sure he will tell him to go get em....as hard as that would be. my opinion of sam is he is that he will be a star in the nfl and the stars wont get in his eyes, he will remember where he came from, he is that type of person. i look for him to be involved with sooner athletics forever. just one mans opinion.

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 01:47 PM
What ever Sam desides is Fine with me . I wish Him Great success either way .

stoops the eternal pimp
10/23/2008, 04:11 PM
Who is a better NFL Quarterback in the league right now?

IMO the best prospect is Josh Freeman

PhiDeltBeers
10/23/2008, 04:52 PM
I think several people hit this right on the head. Why did any of us go to college? So we could have the chance of a better life than what we would've had we not gone. I make a pretty good income. More than I would've made than if I would've forgone college. I own a company. I'm living my dream. Mainly due to college and a few rewarding decisions. I see what I have and it is mere pennies and nickels compared to what Sam would be giving up if he stayed. We're talking millions of dollars and even more than the money, the freedom of doing whatever he wants to do the rest of his life. I hope more than anyone he stays, but I think the rest of his life is more important than a couple of records.

Payton
10/24/2008, 11:06 AM
Some of you selfish pieces of crap might say oh yeah, he'll make a lot of moneeyyy, and be drafted really highhhhh if he goes out this year. You cu** salads need to take a character check and realize that money isn't everything to some people. Some of us weren't raised in a 1 Bedroom Double Wide with a hole in the floor and desire to do whats right, not what will make us the most money. Some people actually keep their word and arent low down untrustworthy pieces of d*c*less garbage. Go jump in a fire.

PhiDeltBeers
10/24/2008, 11:20 AM
Some of you selfish pieces of crap might say oh yeah, he'll make a lot of moneeyyy, and be drafted really highhhhh if he goes out this year. You cu** salads need to take a character check and realize that money isn't everything to some people. Some of us weren't raised in a 1 Bedroom Double Wide with a hole in the floor and desire to do whats right, not what will make us the most money. Some people actually keep their word and arent low down untrustworthy pieces of d*c*less garbage. Go jump in a fire.

Lot's of professionalism in that post. Not sure this guy ever went to college. And what makes staying the "right" decision? Like a few other people said...He was making the politcally correct decision. I'm not saying leaving is the right decision, but it'd be the smart decision.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2008, 01:00 PM
curd salad?

SoonerTank
10/24/2008, 01:16 PM
curd salad?

I think he meant cute salad.:)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2008, 01:28 PM
ohh..that makes more sense

olevetonahill
10/24/2008, 01:57 PM
ductless ?:confused:

Curly Bill
10/24/2008, 06:05 PM
I think he's mad because he was born in a single wide as opposed to one of them fancy double wides.

olevetonahill
10/24/2008, 06:13 PM
I think he's mad because he was born in a single wide as opposed to one of them fancy double wides.

We had the Hole positioned over a Creek sos the Poop could warsh on down stream .;)

Curly Bill
10/24/2008, 06:15 PM
We had the Hole positioned over a Creek sos the Poop could warsh on down stream .;)

That'd be good planning. :D

olevetonahill
10/24/2008, 07:32 PM
That'd be good planning. :D

I think why hes so Mad is , His trailer was Down stream .:D

Curly Bill
10/24/2008, 07:33 PM

He's so mad he done turned red. :D

olevetonahill
10/24/2008, 07:34 PM

guilty :O

Curly Bill
10/24/2008, 07:36 PM
guilty :O

Me too. :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/24/2008, 08:06 PM
me three!

swardboy
10/24/2008, 08:14 PM

L. M. A. O.

swardboy
10/24/2008, 08:15 PM
cuke salad....lots of cucumbers.

PhiDeltBeers
10/25/2008, 10:32 AM
ME 4!

PhiDeltBeers
10/25/2008, 10:33 AM

That's friggin funny!!!! :D

Sooner1979
10/25/2008, 10:50 AM
IMO the best prospect is Josh Freeman

Are you kidding me? I really hope you are joking...Freeman may be a talented QB, but this guy makes some boneheaded decisions when under pressure and sometimes when not...Freeman couldn't hold his schlong to Sam's in comparison...

If you were joking, then I am sorry I didn't get the humor...And if you weren't, just let me know, because I can think of 3 QBS better than Freeman in the Big XII that are better than that as* clown...

BOOMER SOONER...Kickoff in T-minus OO:41:00 minutes and counting...

batonrougesooner
10/27/2008, 02:49 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I think Bradford should go this year if he is projected as high as they have him right now.

Next year most of his line is gone as well as his top two receivers and possibly Gresham.

His numbers and his record will most likely take a serious hit next year if he stayed. He would most likely drop.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2008, 08:40 AM
Are you kidding me? I really hope you are joking...Freeman may be a talented QB, but this guy makes some boneheaded decisions when under pressure and sometimes when not...Freeman couldn't hold his schlong to Sam's in comparison...

If you were joking, then I am sorry I didn't get the humor...And if you weren't, just let me know, because I can think of 3 QBS better than Freeman in the Big XII that are better than that as* clown...

BOOMER SOONER...Kickoff in T-minus OO:41:00 minutes and counting...

Nope not kidding....

hink4769
10/27/2008, 10:47 AM
Josh Freeman reminds me of Kyle Boller. Which will be good for his bank account and bad for the team that drafts him.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2008, 01:20 PM
Josh Freeman reminds me of Kyle Boller. Which will be good for his bank account and bad for the team that drafts him.

exactly..Merv Johnson said it best...high school players are recruited not for what they did in high school, but what the recruiter thinks they can do in college...college players are drafted not because of what they do in college, but what scouts think they can do in the NFL.....

Freeman has all the tools that NFLers drool over(Like Boller).....I would probably compare his game more to Culpepper

Matt Ryan was not the best qb in college football but scouts thought he had the right tools to be productive in the NFL